Milford, MI
Kensington Black Locust DGC Share
Uploaded By: Innovadude Hole #26 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #26 Short Tee: Long blind right turn into woods. Will steal your discs.

"Re-Design" half ass at best...

5+    8/12/2009   8/25/2009
Review By: bjanego
This review was updated on 7/24/2013
Pros: Holes 1-3 are incredible from the longs. Holes 19-27 are simply amazing. The new holes represent what I'm sure the old kensington course looked like before the hordes of graffiti and underage drinkers took over the course.
Cons: The holes that we all grew to love, the "old holes" are now the same exact tee pads with the pin moved over to the RIGHT. I'd say that 70% of the holes on Black Locust, the pin is located off to the right. Not being a forehand thrower, this became increasingly aggravating and painful from having to carry my 20 disc bag around the long course when all I needed to use was my Valk. and flip it on every hole.
Other Thoughts: Its a Lefty's dream, or a forehanders dream for that matter. Backhanded flip-discers, prepare for a sore shoulder.

2/10

I'll stick to Hudson Mills.

Black Locust + Tobaggon = A tourney I'd like to play

5+    8/18/2009   8/19/2009
Review By: phipps
Pros: The Locust is a great course which offers a variety of hyzers, anhyzers, and straight shots for lefties and righties alike. The front 18 are a real confidence booster, even from the longs, with lots of birdie runs (and even a few ace runs), and the champion 9 really bring even the best players back down to Earth.
I played the tunnel course for the last 7 years or so, and I love the pay to play, it really thins out the crowds and keeps the course much cleaner. The crew even carries a broom on their golf cart for clearing those sandy pads!!!
I must confess, I love this course because it has helped me to develop my backhand, forehand, and thumber shots.
Cons: Very few... I've lost a few discs (which, sadly, have not been returned, even with my name and number on them).
My score has suffered 4 or 5 strokes, but that has made me a better player and put me in the mindset to par every hole rather than going for birdies on every drive.
Other Thoughts: Once the Toboggan course is up, I cannot imagine a better place to play a weekend tournament.
Also, don't expect to shoot the round of your life out here. I've only played from the longs, and a 4 over was my best round on 27, averaging more like 8 over. The front 18 are great (not too hard to shoot an even, which is about what I avg) and the back 9 are as challenging as any holes I've ever played (avg about 7 over).
Great job Mark and the Discraft crew!!!

the new Kensington - better

2-4    8/13/2009   8/13/2009
Review By: atassac66
This review was updated on 6/13/2010
Pros: A huge departure from the previous course. Although the original was a nice play, it was far to easy and allowed for bloated scores. The new layout boasts consistent elevation changes without just throwing off a hill. Plays through hills and valleys.

The distance doesn't need to be increased as the vast majority of the holes are more technical than anything. If you shoot an errant shot you will be losing an extra stroke the majority of the time.

Heavily wooded. Technical. Challenging. Unforgiving.

Great mix of hole styles with the last 9 being more of a pro caliber layout.... even from the am tees. I would say the majority of the holes are blind.
Cons: Not too many. SInce the course if brand new, the rough is VERY rough. I have played two times and have bled both times. Hardly any grip and rip holes. Gets a bit tiresome when you really want to utilize your max distance throws.
Other Thoughts: People came on immediately dubbed this a course that favors lefty's. This is a major cop out. There are a good deal of right turns but this only makes you reach in your bag more for understable, roller, and towahawk shots. THose who depend on throwing a desroyer/Surge type disc may be sour but it makes for a far more interesting round. Also, over time the course will ease as branches and trees are removed. Overall a big time pro caourse from the longs and the shorts are super challenging as well.

Hole 18 is affixed to the top of a massive stump. My first play through was plus 15 through 27 holes.

now a legit course

5+    10/25/2013   8/6/2009
Review By: waterhyzerd
This review was updated on 11/15/2013
Pros: Flowing layout with great use of new and original holes. Tee pads can be dusty sometimes but always in great shape. Short pad on the front 18 offer many ace runs while the longer layout offers a better challenge. The final 9, short and long, provide an entirely different and more challenging experience.
Cons: Gets very crowded during after-work hours and on weekends.
Other Thoughts: I think its a huge misconception that this course (first 18) heavily favors lefties or RH forehand shots. Most holes do finish right, but take a closer look. I used to resort mostly to my forehand until i realized a lot of the "lefty" or "forehand" holes merely require a more effective mild to moderate righty anhyzer backhand shot.

1    7/31/2009   8/2/2009
Review By: DirtyMittenDG
Pros:
--The course is maintained very well. There are both am and pro concrete tee pads on most holes, and every tee pad has a sign with distance. The new booth that says "Black Locust" where you play to play, next to hole #1 adds to the professional appearance of the course.

--Black Locust is layed out on some nice land with decent elevation hear and there. With 27 holes the lay out conveniently comes back to the parking lot after the first 18 (so you can stop by your car if need be, or just choose to play front 18 or back 9.)
Cons:
--Theres a somewhat lack of variety here. It feels like theres too many holes with open fairways and unforgiving brush on both sides. Also the course was just built and hasnt been walked on much, so theres gonna be some lost and found discs.

--Also I didnt like was how they changed the pin placements on some of the old holes, a couple nice runs got taken away with the change.
--Alot of tight long distance shots and blind baskets make this course very challenging and demanding.

--The course is patroled by staff on golf carts who will randomly drive around hole to hole and check for passes.

tight fairways, rolling hills, long grass and sharp flora

2-4    10/11/2009   8/1/2009
Review By: compn
This review was updated on 2/25/2012
Pros: big course with elevation. love that elevation. my legs were a bit sore after 18. beautiful new long tees. baskets and chains were all in working condition.

friends both liked it.

holes 19-27 are long holes. lots of distance scares off the weenies.

UPDATE---
the quarry nextdoor must have screwed something up, now after it rains there is a GIANT WAIST-DEEP LAKE on the side of hole 2/3.
--END OF UPDATE
Cons: for a course in the middle of the woods, it sure doesnt have a lot trees on the fairway. lots of sun on the new holes.

most holes surrounded by tall grass, which wouldnt a problem if the holes also werent mostly blind shots.

those black locust trees have thorns, i've gotten stabbed by them in half of the rounds i've played. BEWARE OF THEM TREES.

made my mom pay $2 to walk the dog with us.
Other Thoughts: course would be a solid 4 if the pay-to-play wasnt such a pain in the ass.
----------
after playing this new course i got very nostalgic for the old one, so i went to play the old one.

i finished playing 6 holes of the old course on the lake side of the road, not interfering with any of the new course (old holes 1-3, 15-18). ranger rick told me to get lost, that 'people werent supposed to be over here'. no problem for me , as i was tired as hell.

i guess paying the park fee and the disc golf fee wasnt enough to be able to play/walk the old abandoned course. a true shame the way they are handling this whole affair.

Upgrade over the old?

2-4    7/28/2009   7/29/2009
Review By: bygwyllay
This review was updated on 5/17/2012
Pros: Brand new course so everything is marked and well layed out. This course offers both wide open "field" shots and some technical holes through the original woods. Not very busy, but we played the first five holes in a monsoon, which everyone has to try at least once. It was awesome!

***UPDATE***
Course has had a lot of time to break in and it is progressing nicely. Great signage throughout is still standing; good to see our fellow DGers respecting the land. Pay to play I'm sure comes into play here as well. This course has become as flooded with folks as Cass Benton!

Locust really challenges you to hit your lines. From the bomb off of tee #1 to the tunnel shot on #18, errancy will be punished. It is challenging without ruining your fun factor.

Now, the bonus 9 are hard as hell. Seriously, they should be par 4's. Some impossible lines to follow through these long and winding holes; also some thicket shots through Sherwood... BE PREPARED FOR THESE HOLES. They are almost worth a play just by themselves - these are on another level from the rest of the 18.
Cons: We only got to play 21 of the 27 holes because we lost the daylight, which was upsetting because the last few holes looked like a great challenge. I was kind of disappointed that we didn't get to travel back through the tunnel under the road and play the other side at all. I figured they would have kept a hole or two on the other side. The bugs weren't too bad when we played but that was most likely because of the storm, so bring some spray (we even used some).
Other Thoughts: I gave the original Kensington course a 3.5 because I couldn't rate it equal with Hudson Mills or Rolling Hills. Those courses are just better. I was very excited to play the new course, and I really love what they've done with the new land. These holes were the most fun to play. The "redesigned" holes form the OGC were OK, but they still had the same feel about them, which was disheartening. Moving a pin location over two feet from where it was does not make it a new hole. Overall this is a great course that is designed well to offer as much variety as the land will allow. Recommended.

***UPDATE***
Black Locust is really starting to warm on me. Each time through I like it better than the last, and I find myself wont to come back. Now on par with Rolling Hills/Hudson Mills in my book as one of the better courses in the Metro Area. DO IT TO IT!

Love it

2-4    7/26/2009   7/28/2009
Review By: discin248
Pros: New course so all new pads
Good maintenance I've seen them blowing off the pads both times i've played
Cons: Lack of garbage bins so there is some litter at a lot of the holes
Pay to play but i guess that covers maintenace
lot of lefty holes only a con for rightys
Other Thoughts: Nice long shots, good terrain, miss the old course but like the new one just as much, would have liked to see some water hazards though

O My God

1    7/27/2009   7/27/2009
Review By: discinboogs
Pros: Lots of long distance shots, tough pin positions, I like the new tee-signs. Tunnel course didn't have ANY. Front 18 I could enjoy all day.
Cons: Lefty course without a doubt. Not balanced what-so-ever. Lots of poison ivy. I'm not allergic but pretty much everyone else is. Could definitely use some trees removed so maybe I can get a line at the basket. Every shot that I was able to get around the corner was shut down soon after by a tree off the fairway because the lane was impossible righty and I ended up with quite a few bogeys after some hard work out of the schule. Back 9 is like impossible. It is a MUST to bring a friend otherwise discs are BYE BYE guaranteed. Front 18 is great except they moved the baskets of the good holes and didn't move the baskets to the shittiest holes that they kept.
Other Thoughts: It is all FH and the designer should re-think a few of the holes to keep the RHBH'ers coming back. As of now I will only come back if I have no choice in the matter, which is never. Love the long shots, hate the really rough rough everywhere and the need for a steel elbow to make it through all those FH shots.

New Kensington Course

1    7/18/2009   7/24/2009
Review By: rcd1649
Pros: Much more challenging than the old course. Nice tees, basket placement.
Cons: Sidearm almost every hole.
Other Thoughts: I agree ninety percent with the first reviewer only I would rate the course higher, very well done if unfairly biased towards sidearm shots. I am sure over time they will change some of the basket placements to even this out, once they do this course will rise to a 4.5 in my eyes.