Never lost a disk here
Pros: Wide open. Great place for me to practice my poor drives. Plenty of parking. Always have course to myself in morning.
Cons: Not a very exciting course.
Other Thoughts: My dog and I play this course all the time. I have never seen a sign prohibiting dogs.
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: The course is located at McHenry West HS Campus. Excellent exposure to the game and the PE classes use it.
The baskets are Innova Discatchers. The bands are orange.
There are nice tee signs.
There are several holes where you can flat out grip it and rip it.
Holes 1 and 5 have great greens. #1 sits atop a mound with an evergreen protecting the right side. #5 is a blind shot that sits on the back edge of the hill.
Cons: The tee pads are natural grass.
The course is closed during school hours and sporting events. #3 plays directly on the soccer field.
There are very few obstacles. This course is wide open.
Repetiitve. Throw a righty hyzer and throw it long. Revers if you are a left.
There are several long walks to get to the next hole.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
7 Helpful / 0 Not
Best school (non college) course I have ever played
Pros: 1) This course has so many cool features and a nice variety of obstacles and hole design.
2) #1 has a nice elevated basket on a mound and is also protected by a few evergreen trees.
3) #3 uses a long gulch (I would call it) to differentiate the intended throwing route. It doesnt say it is a mando to stay left of the gulch, but I would assume it was their intent because of the soccer field. It is a dogleg right so a throw over the soccer field that makes it back to the fairway could cut at least 50-75' off of the total distance (609') of this hole.
4) #4 is a great hole with plenty of distance. Lay up to the drainage area and scrub brush to a nice simple approach to the basket.
5) #5 is a nice hole with a basket that is subtly tucked over a slope. You cannot see the basket from the tee in fact if you walk towards the basket you can't see it until you are about 30-40' short of the basket because of the sharp slope.
AIM AT THE SATELLITE DISH ON THE DECK OF THE RED/BROWN HOUSE!
6) #8 is the old mandatory hole running around a baseball diamond outfield. Every school course I have played has one of these. Keep the disc off the field by throwing out to the right.
7) Overall distance of this course sets it apart from most beginner school courses. There is a 600' hole 2 400' holes and 2 over 300'. The shortest hole is 244 (#1)
8) Beginner friendly course because it is so open, but the distance will catch up to the beginners!
Cons: 1) Long walk between holes on a few occassion. However I will take the long walk because the course uses the best features on the entire property as well as they can!!!!
2) Lack of signage to point you to your next tee after hole #3 is a little confusing to a first timer.
3) I would like to see one easy ace run on this course (meaning less than 200') just because it is a school course and it might be introducing the next Ken Climo to the game! Anyone that hits . . . let alone witnesses an ace (at gym class no less) will certainly be hooked. Otherwise it might just be another day throwing frisbees to these kids!
4) Grass tees will eventually deteriorate to dirt from compaction.
Other Thoughts: Nice Class gift! THANKS CLASS OF 2009! This is the best school course I have ever played. It has so many cool features ont he course and is very well designed. It has nice signs and very nice custom painted baskets (school color of ORANGE I assume).
Not sure what else to say about this course. I am glad I drove out of my way to go to it. It was about 20 miles out of my way on my 8 course trip, but it was worth it especially to be the first review of yet another course. I love hitting a course I can truthfully recommend to people. Now it is only 9 holes, but more than half of the holes have something cool about them. On a school course that is tough to do! If you get a chance to play it do so, but keep in mind it is fairly open, but the distance and the few property features are what make this course good. It will never be a great course because it won't get much better unless some trees are planted to create some shotmaking holes.
7 of 7 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.