Mt. Pleasant, MI
Deerfield Park - Original Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #6 (Taken 7/2009)

Top notch course

2-4    9/1/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: Puckstopper
This review was updated on 9/2/2014
Pros: 2 sets of concrete tees. These tees are frequently set up to require totally different shots, as opposed to similar shots from different lengths.

Starting with a short first hole that plays over 30' uphill, there are tons of elevation changes on the first part of the course.

GREAT mix of tight wooded and reasonably open shots.

Beautiful scenery and a nice walk.

There are a couple nice areas to sit down and have a drink or a cigarette, as well as a pump to fill up water bottles about halfway through the course.

The parking lot is usually at least half full, but I've never felt rushed, or held up by other players on either course.
Cons: Concrete tees are shorter than I'd prefer. Some don't have room for an additional runup from behind the concrete, which throws off my timing somewhat.

Poison Ivy is present, but not overwhelming.

Wildwood course weaves through original Deerfield, and I've talked to people who've gotten confused.
Other Thoughts: The original Deerfield course is a well established, nicely laid out course. As I mentioned in my Cons, Wildwood weaves through Deerfield in a couple places. The Wildwood course has "Wildwood" engraved in it's tees which are longer than Deerfield, and plays to DGA baskets instead of Innova baskets. So mixups should be few and far between. There are several unique pin positions that force you to play over a hill to reach the pin. These are all well marked with flags on top of the pin. Deerfield has a few longer holes, but for the most part they'll run from 250' to 400' and be fairly tight so bring your precision game and enjoy. If you're passing through the area you need to try both Deerfield and Wildwood. If you live in the area and haven't played these courses, why the heck not? Get out there! :~D

Edit 2/16/14: After playing here last summer this was the course I found myself comparing all others to, and as winter has dragged on, this is the course I find myself most looking forward to of getting back out on. It may not have all the elements to make it a 5 star course, but it's definitely the most all around enjoyable course I've played to date.

Edit 9/2/14: Upped rating by 1/2 point. This is the best course I've played outside of Flip City, and I want it's rating to reflect this.

Brings a tear to Bilbo Baggins' eye

2-4    1/6/2012   9/26/2012
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 1/9/2013
Pros: + Accuracy is more important than distance, however both are needed on many holes; likely challenges every skill level
+ Creative design on many holes keeps your attention throughout; no holes are "duds"
+ Booming with natural growth: very tall trees, aged natural/planted forests, green grass
+ Some elevation changes also add an element of difficulty
+ Lots of "tunnels" (more like alleys)
+ All good teepads; all distances marked, even from AM tees
+ Not busy on a Sunday morning
+ Cared for/maintained
+ No attendant to take our moneys :)
+ Ample parking
+ No ghosts
+ Innova baskets are easy to see, though block high shots, whatevs
Cons: - Poisonous plant-life (clearly marked, but dangerous and scary)
- Buddy lost his brand new Teebird on hole 14 :-/, but still a great hole!
- Am tees seem to take a lot of the challenge out of the course
- No hole diagrams
- No directional signs (might be confusing for first-timers without a guide; I had help)
- Hole 2 volleyball
Other Thoughts: **UPDATE**: Played here in the snow on a Sunday around noon. Wow, this is such a great course. Great shape and playable in winter. Locals were friendly including the sledders who got out of our way so we could drive on hole #5. I'm very excited for the second 18 hole course!

This is a most-memorable course for many reasons. I believe a lot of disc golf's appeal comes from the natural beauty and I believe the designers of this course preserved the forest's aged beauty. It was magical wandering through the trees listening to the dew drop from their leaves. The morning sun shown through the trees in the middle of the course in ways only a master wizard could craft. The muggles have done a good job of keeping this course on form.

Insider tip: Check dgscene.com's Talk pages for this course and the local clubs for possible events going on here. We didn't go one weekend because of Civil War reenactments because we saw the Doubles league had re-located one day. I also read that they have league course clean-up days. Very, very cool.

Keep up the good work Deerfield!

Great Course

2-4    5/7/2012   5/9/2012
Review By: ZdybelT
Pros: -elevation change is great.
-variety of holes.
-great distance shot.
-use of land and water was good.
-Not repetitive and different from other course.
Cons: -poison ivy right near the hole.
-pay to play.
Other Thoughts: It was a great course to play on. Nice for a wooded scenary with different elevation changes. Also if you go on a bad looking day you probably wont have to pay to get in.

awesome course

1    5/6/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: jcarter
Pros: this is an awesome course, every tee pad is up to date, trash cans on every hole, very easy to follow, had signs on where to go to the hole, great signage of distance, every hole was great. Hole 1 is on top of hill, was out of breath though, but was very good exercise. Baskets were innova. water shots were awesome, u have to have a long throw on some of the holes, but it is great to have holes like that. Bathrooms throughout the course.
Cons: wow I just cant say anything bad, I guess the $6.00 fee would be my only con, we didnt have to pay bc no one was there to collect, but when we were leaving there was
Other Thoughts: will be back when they have the other 18 holes up.

All Day Every Day

5+    7/6/2010   7/7/2010
Review By: seanblitz25
Pros: -Holes carved right out of a woodsy State Park. Both Challenging and Fun.
-Great place to get some exercise in the up and down semi-hilly terrain while disc'n through a tough course.
-I've spotted deer, beavers, and a Bald Eagle once. seeing Wild life in the area can be a "pick me up" after a tough hole.
-Its spread out. You're never in danger of hitting other discers on the next tee box. You literally cannot see the next hole or the previous hole from the hole your on. That enables you to absorb the current hole you're on. It makes each hole feel different and special.
-While being spread out, its very easy to navigate.
Cons: If there is a con to talk about, its probably the tee boxes. You do have to be careful around some of them but they are not that bad. They fit in with the atmosphere at Deerfield Park.
On the other hand, if they raked them more often, they would improve dramatically.
Other Thoughts: I've lived in Mount Pleasant a while now, and over the course of this summer alone I play Deerfield Park at least 3-4 times a week. This course will make you a better player the more you play it. I go to other courses that have less trees and cover less ground and I find them almost too easy cuz there is nothing in the way haha.. Deerfield is a challenge but its in the funnest way possible.
I usually shoot +1-+4 but my best round was -2.
It just takes practice and when you are done with 18 at Deerfield you'll walk away a better player having seen some holes that you couldn't of imagined before. (#5,6,8,11,12,17 are all my favorite.)

Well Laid Out Course

2-4    5/2/2010   5/3/2010
Review By: Hyramdubya
Pros: Deerfield Park is a really fun course and well laid out. The course was very clean, and every hole is different. There are score cards at the first tee and signs everywhere at the tee boxes and telling you where to go next. I found it very easy to navigate. Also there are ladies, tees for the ladies, and they are just as good quality as the men's. This is very rare at a disc golf course and a nice thing to see. Also if you boy can't make it past the ladies tees its fun to give him a hard time. The three best holes are 2, a small dog leg where the pin is in a ditch, 5, a 515 ft downhill hole into a field and 14 where you throw over water. In my opinion this course great and in my top 10. I will come back many times.
Cons: You have to pay to get in, $6 for the day or $25 for the season. I got the season, because I live in Midland and will come back often. I find paying a little is not that bad thou, because it keeps the riff raff out and make the course more pleasant. The tee pads are small and gravel. Hopefully they will upgrade to cement soon. Last is it would be nice to have a diagram of the holes at the tee pads. There are signs, but all it has is the hole number, distance and par. These are some minor cons and if they were to fix these issues it would be a 5 disc course.
Other Thoughts: Overall great course and if you get the chance play it. Also it is way better than CMU, but that's a nice course too.

Sweet Course

5+    4/3/2010   4/3/2010
Review By: ChipFan7
Pros: Scenic views, well maintained, extremely challenging, variety of hole types, easy to navigate, picnic areas to rest after/during rounds before you go back and play it again.
Cons: Tee areas are rather short with some steep drop-offs at the end of them, so be careful when running up or you may fall. Tee areas are made of dirt which gives the course a natural look, but hazardous when it rains, costs $6 to use for the day.
Other Thoughts: The course is just great, and the amateur/ladies tees will help keep less experienced players from getting too frustrated (you will still get frustrated).

Reminds me of Flip City

1    3/25/2010   3/25/2010
Review By: -johnbob
Pros: This course is amazing! Great scenery, great hole design, challenging but fun to play! Arrow signs so you don't get lost, and flags on top of hard to see chains.
Cons: I guess the teepads could be a con, however I found it more fitting to the surrounding to just have the woodchips. I do agree that the teepads should be longer. Maps next to the tees would be nice.
Other Thoughts: This course reminds me alot of the top rated flip city. I found many similarities and enjoyed playing it just as much.

Better with age

5+    1/3/2010   1/4/2010
Review By: J.Taylor
Pros: Great variety of hole types:
Lots of elevation changes (which is rare in this area)
Long bombs
Short (and long) technical drives
Water in play
Hyzers, Anhyzers, and Straight rips

Beautiful scenery regardless of the season.

The course is "breaking-in" well with lots of the rough becoming more manageable.

Addition of short tees opens the course up to more players while giving experiencd players several fun ace-runs.
Cons: Tee pads are still compacted dirt which can be good or bad depending on the day and your luck.
Other Thoughts: We are still hoping the Parks will install (or let us install) concrete pads.

In the summer bring something to swim in after a round or two. The swimming beach is just to the west of holes 15 and 18 and about 100 yards from the parking lot.

Other than the tee pads I feel that this course is one of the best in a pretty wide area with its pros definitely outweighing the cons.