Mechanicsburg, PA
Messiah Village DGC Share
Uploaded By: KAK3990 Hole #1 (Taken 8/2011)

Built for Senior citizens (will get that age sooner than U think)

1    5/31/2011   6/4/2011
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: A DGC specificially designed for Senior citizens.

Good local senior DG players to play a round with.

Nice Kiosk (adjacent to hole # 1)

Beautiful setting for a DGC

Cons: No benches (I'm not even a senior yet, yet I was looking for a place to sit down).

grass tees. (No biggie, but cement would be sweet)

Innova baskets (chains rusting).

Other Thoughts: It's nice to see a DGC set up for our senior citizens as Disc Golf is an inexpensive activity that will keep you in shape both MENTALLY and PHYSICALLY (very important as one ages). I'd like to see more DGC at Senior citizen centers and although Messiah is a private DGC, there's no reason why they're can't be more Senior citizens DGC being put into the ground. Thanks for all who are involved with this endevor.

Its designed for retirees, but provides ace runs.

5+    9/17/2010   10/11/2010
Review By: KAK3990
Pros: -Ace runs, Ace runs galore!
-Very well maintained course.
-Usually pretty empty
-Friendly folks
Cons: -Very short, no drivers necessary
-Plays right along a pretty major highway so car noise is present for most of the holes.
-You have to cross several holes to reach hole #1 from the parking lot.
Other Thoughts: A short course located on the premises of a retirement community. The course itself and the baskets are in amazing shape. The course does not get much use and its somewhat forgetable overall. That being said all the holes are ace-able and its a quick easy play if your playing with your girlfriend or trying to introduce someone new to the sport. I hope when Im in a retirement community Im still playing disc golf so good for messiah village for getting a course put in!

Short & Sweet

1    9/29/2009   11/4/2009
Review By: Joe Hollywood
Pros: Well kept garden type atmosphere. Discatcher type holes. Great for practicing approach shot. Good course for begginers or just a light game to pass the time.
Cons: No tee off boxes, just posts with reflector to mark the tee off locations. Hole distances are very short.
Other Thoughts: This is located in a retirement community so its main audience is elderly and family that visit. It is a very attractive little course but has understandably short holes for ALL ages. Great place to practice approach shots and to work on accuracy.

Pretty Grounds, Pretty Basic

1    9/5/2009   9/6/2009
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Pretty, well-maintained retirement-village grounds. Next tee arrows on bottom of basket.
Cons:
Grass tees. Single basket position/single-chain basket. Short: 116'-217', average 165'.
Tee #8 is closest to the parking lot, so unless you feel the need to start at tee #1, just start with #8. Course plays in a counter-clockwise direction. A tree or two provide a challenge on a couple of holes.

Not quite the second coming...

2-4    9/2/2009   9/4/2009
Review By: clipnfly
Pros: Very well marked. FREE scorecards and pencils. Grounds well groomes. A few holes have trees and dog legs to provide technical choices and options. Water is out of range and not a factor, but close by and nice to add pleasent surroundings. Few ppl use this so it is open with no waiting or crowds.
Cons: Pretty short on most holes. Very buggy the day I was there. The "dry pond" around which 6, 7, 8, 9 are played is a bit damp and likely responisble for breeding the bugs.
Other Thoughts: Nice little course to play to add one new one to your list. Great practice for approach and putting. I played 3X through since I was not taxing or stressign my arm with long drives. Played fast since it is short.

Like Playing Through A Beautiful Garden

1    8/5/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: optidiscic
This review was updated on 8/9/2009
Pros: I am not much of a horticulture fan but this place really is pretty. Perfectly cared for lawns, trees, bushes, flowers, and a pretty fountain fed lake serve as an amazing backdrop for disc golf. Area is dedicated to disc golf primarily, so there are no walking paths etc. to interfere. Despite the Interstae whizzing by, you will feel relaxed here due to the sheer magnifigance of the landscaping. Most shots provide ace runs, which can be fun! It is a good place to learn midranges and putters. The goal here is to get an ace or to shoot under 20 for 9 holes. I think it is with this mindset that the course can be challenging and fun. It is a neat concept to provide disc golf for a retirement community. Grandpa plays disc golf. Hole 2 plays along a pretty pond...I used my gator just in case. Hole 9 plays around a very unique bundle of trees that forms an interesting obstacle.All of the holes are short so it is a great place to introduce someone to the game. There is no shule whatsoever or poison to ruin your day. It's like a little perfectly manicured lunchtime executive course. I actually enjoyed playing it despite its munchkin size. 8 ace runs....feel free to go for it!
Cons: It really is short and will not provide any true disc golf experience....Even if safaried the course is just too tight to provide any challenging distance. Hole 3 and 4 play near the Interstate. (believe it or not I griplocked my buzz into the middle of I-15. I had to frogger it out there to retrieve it) It's a simple course with little reflectors identifying tee position....this did not bother me for the setting but some people are hellbent on tee signs and tee pads. These would be silly here. I would only play it again if I was introducing a lady or a child or maybe in 25 yrs when I am old enough to live here.
Other Thoughts: It is a simple but pleasant experience. Taken for what it is and using it as a chance at ace or to practice approach and putting is the best way to view this course. Please keep your drivers in the car.....it would be a shame if the lawn and trees got ruined by hard edged drivers. Completely unneeded here! Be sure to be polite to any of the residents. I think it is cool that outsiders are welcome here. Hate to see some jerks spoil the hospitality. Have fun!

Absolutely Beautiful Grounds

2-4    7/21/2009   7/26/2009
Review By: Jimb
This review was updated on 8/21/2010
Pros: On the site of a retirement village, this is without a doubt the most well kept and beautiful course that I've ever played. The grass is lush and nicely cut. The trees and other plantings are in immaculate shape. A maintenance man showed me the way to the course and was very pleasant.

The map and scorecared at tee #1 were very helpful. The tees are marked by "road reflectors" with the hole numbers marked on them. The course is very easy to find your way around.

It's a great place to work on your approach and putting games. I only carried two putters with me so that I could play two rounds at once when I played and had no trouble reaching any of the pins. I have no doubt that I could play 9 holes here in 15 minutes or less and I normally don't play fast.

There are several distinct ace run possibilities here. I thought that I had a couple that passed just in front of and behind the chains.

Most of the holes use a tree or two to force you to throw something other than a perfectly straight shot and three holes use low tree branches to force low shots. There are straight, left & right turning tee shots. Plus several of the holes give you the option of taking multiple routes to the pins. The course plays gently on a little hill and on a basically level field. The pond and creek on site shouldn't really come into play unless you make a very errant throw. This, combined with the well kept gounds means that there's not much chance of losing a disc at all.

This is an ideal course for the retirement village and would be an excellent beginner course in general.
Cons: The length is the biggest issue with the course. The longest hole is 217' and the shortest is 116'.

The Innova baskets could use some replacements for some rusty chains but are otherwise in decent shape. They are single chain baskets and did spit out a couple putts of mine that I thought were definitely in.

*****UPDATED 8-21-10*****
They replaced the old single chain baskets with new Innova baskets with two sets of chains. Sweet addition to the course!
*********************************
There are natural, grass tees. This isn't much of a negative, though, since on this course you don't really need a run-up or concrete tee pad. It's more like your practicing your approaches from in the fairway than it is practicing your drives.

Lastly, hole's #3 & #4 parallel SR 15 pretty closely. Although the road "shouldn't" come into play, I found it kind of distracting.
Other Thoughts: Again, this is a beautiful, little, course. If you have a putter in the back of the car and you find yourself driving through Mechanicsburg, PA, why not check it out? Next time I'm going to take my wife and 4 year old (5 on Monday) with me. This will be the perfect place to actually get them to play 9 holes with me. Normally they only last two or three but this course is so nice and short that I think they'll make it the whole way through the round.

If you're introducing someone new to the game, or if you have someone who isn't in very good shape, physically, or who is very young, this would be a great place to play.

And I love playing anywhere, so I will be back when I'm in the area again. I need putting practice anyway!

only for fun...

2-4    7/2/2009   7/11/2009
Review By: KeithMiller
Pros: This course is fun because it's laid out in a simple way to follow, in a nice, enjoyable, well manicured setting, and you get to bang chains. I'm a fan of big pro par 4 and 5 courses, but this little course was a lot of fun to play a couple times, to work on my short game. Beautiful pond nearby, great flower beds as well if you enjoy that!
Cons: Obviously, with some holes being only 100-120 feet, this course is super short. And there are about 3 holes that are pretty open, with no major obstacles or interest points.
Other Thoughts: I love playing new courses, no matter how good or bad they are, and this one was very enjoyable, because you get to bang chains, and that's what it's all about. Unless you ace 9 in a row, it's not too easy, right? Plus, this course is set on a retirement home campus, and how sweet that they installed a course for their residents! I hope the retirement home that I head to in 60 years has a course!