Hamilton, AL
Uploaded By: nathan_p Hole #6

Fun....needs work

1    4/13/2014   4/14/2014
Review By: AUfantastic
Pros: Great location. Potential for a great course. Nice wooded area and up & down pics. Good mix of left and right holes as well as long and short.
Cons: At least 6-7 of the holes need some significant work to remove trees and vegetation. They have the potential to be great but there are no clear throwing lanes. I am fine with lots of trees but there should me some way to plan a path to the basket. Throw and hope is not my favorite. Also, we smelled sewage on much of the course and was not sure where it was coming from.
Other Thoughts: I actually liked the course and would like to play it again when some trees are removed. There may actually be some working going on there now as I did see and smell a recent burn pile of brush and logs. Never played a hole that was shaped like a "U" with even some water in play. It was quite different..

Aggie-Bland

1    12/15/2013   12/15/2013
Review By: MoneyMike
Pros: The directions online are accurate. This made it easy to find the parking lot and hole 1.

The course starts and ends near the recommended parking lot.

Every hole had a concrete teepad(originally painted green), a teesign with accurate distances, and a Discatcher basket.

A good mix of lefts, rights, straights, ups, downs, and flats. A nice creek comes into play on a few holes, but isn't a huge factor if your accuracy is decent on shots under 300'.

There was a "B" position on mostly every hole that I can remember. I don't think I saw one on hole 11.

The course was very well maintained. Very little underbrush, grass was low, and drainage was good. There were many bridges to help cross over the creek or other possibly wet areas.
Cons: The teesigns had only 1 pin position marked with 1 distance. While the distances were accurate for the holes we played, they definitely would not be correct for the B positions. The routes and shot shapes on the teesigns were not accurate.

Quite a few mandatories. (2,4,7,11,16)

A few holes had questionable fairways. (3,4,6,10) A few had gaps smaller than 6' and no reasonable lanes. On these holes, even those with pinpoint accuracy would have trouble throwing their shot cleanly. Even if that shot did happen to make it through, there was enough distance on the other side to negate any benefit from hitting that perfect line.(6 and 10 especially)

There were a few places where you had to double back to get to the next hole. The transition from 11 to 12 was questionable. The transition from 14 to 15 was unreasonable.

While we didn't play them, some of the B positions were in very strange locations. Some of the shots would require a ~150' shot to a landing area, followed by another ~150' shot. While this is not a bad thing for newer players, it gets very boring for those with more experience.

If there is moderate traffic on the walking path, I could see players having to wait awhile to throw. Many holes had the walking path in play through the entire length or width of the fairway. (7,15,16,17)
Other Thoughts: In my opinion, this is a solid red-level course. It would be best enjoyed by beginning players and those playing only for recreation.

For those with more experience, prepare to reign yourself in and play very conservatively.

There wasn't a hole on the course that stood out as a great hole. Holes 8 and 13 were the best two, and they would've been average holes on many of the better course I've played.

Very fun and pretty

2-4    7/27/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: BamaSlamaJim
Pros: Aggieland is very attractive visually. There is a nice mix of wooded and open holes with ups and downs and creeks. It's very enjoyable to play here.

The course can be pretty tough, if you're having trouble hitting the tight lines, but the fairways are fair.
Cons: As I usually try to do, I arranged to play with some people that knew the course so we didn't get lost. There were a few spots that would have been a little tricky to find the next hole on without a guide.

The rough can be a little nasty in places, so you're best off trying to keep your disc in the fairway.
Other Thoughts: I look forward to playing Aggieland again and again. This is a very good course that will likely get even better with time.

Great design and maintenance

1    6/8/2012   6/11/2012
Review By: Iowa420DG
Pros: The course is on a beautiful piece of land in northern Alabama.

--A large variety of holes were provided, many of them very unique. I threw/attempted a lot of shots I had never seen before (hole #8!). You can expect all kinds of wooded shots, good elevation, tight fairways, lightly wooded fairways, and some water...not a hazard, just a creek :-).

--This park seems to be under top-notch maintenance. While playing there, I noticed somebody on a riding machine, and he appeared to be spraying insecticide?... which would be superb. It could've been something else he was spraying, but he was taking care of the course nonetheless. The bridges are nice -- sturdy, new, good condition. Ropes are even provided to help scale the bank of the creek in case you need to retrieve your shot.

--The course is a perfect loop and has great flow. You end exactly where you started, and probably where you parked! Nearly every tee pad location was obvious following the previous basket. No trouble navigating.

--Also probably the best-catching baskets I've ever played. They seemed to be larger than usual, but I can't say for sure.
Cons: Thorns!... lots of them, and they're brutal (compared to what I've had in Iowa), so stay out of the rough. Spiders!... I'm not too familiar with Alabama wildlife, but the spiders and webs I encountered (in the rough/thick), were pretty prevalent. I've never been wrapped in a thicker, stickier, larger piece of web in my life! I was still pulling web off my glasses and face in the bathroom at the Wal-Mart down the street nearly an hour later. Watch where you walk!
Other Thoughts: Veteran's Park in Tupelo, Mississippi makes a good 1-2 punch for disc-golf travelers like myself. I was able to try two great courses in two different states, only 40 minutes apart.

A good course

1    8/20/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: Bassclown
Pros: Leave the drivers in the Car! This course was more of a technical course than a power course. I especially liked hole 13 where the view through the trees led you to the 14 tee box with the actual basket to the right just past the tree line. Pretty scary if you play the way I do. The course offers a lot of shade, especially helpful if you play in 95 degree heat like I did. It made the course a lot more bearable.
Cons: I thought the course was pretty good, but lacked in signage. I played by myself and nobody else was on the course. At times it was difficult to find the next hole. The signs that were there, didn't really show the hole the way it was laid out. It took me about 20min to find the first hole. I finally just parked in a parking lot and started walking. Other than that, I just wish it had a few more holes over 300'.
Other Thoughts: I've only been playing since Jan '11 so take what I say however you want. I've played 5 courses and am in the process of building one in my area. This course was technical, but not that hard. The signage kept me from rating this a 4.0.

Got soaked but WOW what a great course!

1    10/19/2010   6/15/2011
Review By: kfellmy
Pros: This was a very challenging course, lots of fun...if I didn't get sooooo soaked. The rain was horrible. A great variety of shots were required to complete this course.
Cons: Rained so hard I couldn't see much. The discs still flew straight. Course wasn't marked at all. I would have been lost. No cons other than no markers or next hole directions. I'm sure this has been taken care of by now.
Other Thoughts: I played this course last October and it seemed new. I was lucky enough to meet a guy that worked at the park, and his son. They were about to play around and they let me join them. They knew the course and I am glad. I would have easily gotten lost. I hate it that I can't remember your names but thanks a lot.

fun course

5+    2/15/2011   4/14/2011
Review By: jcburton24
Pros: This course has a good variety of shots and is on a great looking piece of land. Elevation changes on several holes.
Cons: Hard to find your way around on a few holes. The pro pad on hole 3 is right behind 2's basket and right in the line of fire. No teepads on pro boxes. Also there is a walking trail through the park and on a couple of holes you may have to wait on people walking before you can throw.
Other Thoughts: Altogether a fun course. No need for a big arm here.

Good Job

5+    12/24/2010   1/5/2011
Review By: Alec10Reese
Pros: Well maintained fairways with challenging holes.
Great use of elevation changes and pin positioning.
I love the improvements they have made since the beginning of the summer, such as concrete tee pads, mando signs, colorful tee signs with hole descriptions, and wooden bag hangers at the tee pads
Cons: Pro tee is only marked with a really small square block in the ground and no pro tee hole yardage.

walking track is in play on the first hole and the last 5 holes so you must watch out for people using them.
Other Thoughts: All in all a great course and a whole lot of fun to play.

Shaping up at AggieLand DGC

5+    7/13/2010   7/17/2010
Review By: emamatt
Pros: This is a new course so that should be considered....

Currently most of the tee pads have been put down, signage to follow.

First Tournament will be held 8-7-2010
Cons: none really our parks and rec department have done a great job to get to this point!
Other Thoughts: I would like to see some drinking water piped out there one day...

One of the best

1    8/16/2009   8/16/2009
Review By: Dillon_Gourley
Pros: This is in my opinion one of the best disc golf courses I've ever seen in a city park. The land and terrain is unbelievable.

Some of the holes are VERY challenging and the holes in the woods you need accurate shots. A long arm is not needed for this course. There is a sidewalk that plays through and around a lot of the holes that play as a stream and are OB.
Cons: This course is brand new and 14 holes are playable, 17 in the ground and the last hole will be installed sometime this week(8/16).

Also, some of the numbers on the baskets do not match the basket order. This can be VERY confusing. I am sure it will be fixed also.

It doesn't has benches, tee signs for distance, no next tee signs, course can be very hard to navigate without a map or a guide.

I am sure all of this will be put into place pretty soon since the DG community is off the charts for only a month or so in the ground.
Other Thoughts: I was very impressed with this layout and besides the cons listed above I would recommend playing this course if you are anywhere in the area.

The tee markers are bricks in the ground with AM or Pro on them with the hole number. Hole #1 is along the side of the baseball field throwing toward the batting cage area.

I will be sure to give this course a higher rating one it's 100% complete which I hope is very soon.