Valdosta, GA
Freedom Park Share
Uploaded By: toad1212 Hole #6
3 / 315ft.   3 / 372ft.   3 / 450ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #6 Red Tee

Potential for greatness...not there yet!

1    4/30/2011   5/4/2011
Review By: stsren
Pros:
1. Concrete tee pads (White tees only)
2. Good quality baskets (DISCatcher)
3. Next Tee signage
4. Variety of challenges including water, elevation changes, distance, electrical wires, and trees (dear God, the trees!)
5. Variety of shots required to score well
6. Adequate seating / benches along the way for those who require them
Cons:
1. No tee box signage - some tee boxes have a number near them, but no indication of distance, location of pin, etc...
2. Red and Blue tee boxes not concrete (I'm okay with the Reds being turf / rubber, but Blues should be poured up if possible)
3. Somewhat confusing layout for first-timer (After once through it's quite navigable)
4. Bathrooms are far away (but in same park!)
5. Very few trash receptacles
Other Thoughts: I was only able to get one round in at Freedom park on my visit to GA, but found the course to be both challenging and fun. I feel it would certainly provide adequate challenge for all skill levels and has a fair amount of variety, as well. While I was personally frustrated by a number of trees on the course, I appreciated their innate peaceful beauty (significantly more when my disc passed them by!)... Some holes were more technical than I prefer, and others were almost totally wide open...so there's a little something for everyone.

To me, this course is just a typical Disc Golf course (as it's setup currently). While the foundation for a very good course has been laid, there is still work to be done for improvement. My biggest complaint is that for Freedom Park first-timers or people relatively new to the sport, this course provides little of the basic information that would be useful (i.e. accurate distances and pin locations on each hole). While the course is fun overall, there are too many things lacking at this point for a better rating... Definitely worth a play if you're in the area, however!

Freedom Park

5+    2/19/2011   2/21/2011
Review By: jpeaslee
This review was updated on 3/5/2011
Pros: -Concrete Tee Pads for the white tees on every hole and rubber/earth tees for red/blue.

-Most holes have separate red, white, and blue tees, and all are well marked.

-Variety of types of holes

-Very active group of locals upkeeping and updating the course. (Thanks guys!)

-Alternate Pin positions on most holes.

Cons: -Downwind of the sewage treatment plant (usually not bad though).

-No hole maps (yet).

-Some tee pads are just groomed dirt (not a major complaint)
Other Thoughts: This is my home course. Its as good as it gets for this part of the country. There are many tight wooded shots. The shade is nice in the south ga summer heat/sun. There are definitely still a long bomb or two as well as a variety in the layout of the other holes. I dislike a few of the pin positions (just cause they're hard and I'm a pansy), but they're still nice to be able to mix it up a bit. There are also frequent tourney's and events as well as usually random draw casual doubles sunday and monday nights. Now that the course has been here over a year, its definitely getting "broken in" and a lot of fun. Thanks again for all the work everyone has put into really making this a nice place to play.

Great Course, Needs Signs!

1    10/18/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: Charboleon Dynamo
Pros: This course has a good mix of open fairways, tree lined fairways and trees in the middle of fairways. The rubber teepads are nice on the white tee locations. With most of the trees being large, old growth there doesn't seem to be too much of a chance of losing a disc in low growth and brush.
Cons: None of the holes have a sign at the tee pad, nor do they give you any idea of where the baskets are. So be prepared to walk most of the holes twice, once to find the basket and once to play the hole.
I think it was hole 8, there was a sharp right out of the woods from the tee pad down a long road. I'm not sure what kind of shot the course designer intended but the way the opening just nearly faces the other tree line on the opposite side of the road makes this hole a tricky one.
Other Thoughts: Without the guidance of tee signs, some sort of list of par and portable course map would be nice. Though the course does flow pretty well, some kind of guidance would be nice.

Freedom Golf

2-4    7/3/2010   7/28/2010
Review By: Dookie
Pros: This was a great course that put everyone of my discs to work. The holes vary widely. You have several open holes and also tons of tight fairways to negotiate.
Cons: The course doesn't have signs at the tee pads and some of the tee pads were a little confusing to find. Although, they did have signs to help you find your way.
Other Thoughts: Overall It was a great time and a challenge. I would definitely encourage folks to come out and play. Oh yeah, and i lost a blue starfire on the last hole in the pond

5+    7/16/2010   7/23/2010
Review By: wesb1898
Pros: Lots of different type shots off the tee. Variety of distances as well. Multiple basket locations keep it interesting.
Cons: Some of these are in the works, but I'll list them out anyway. No tee markers or basket markers. Have to hope you are going for the right one. Some debris in the woods that can be cleaned up. Water hazards are more like thick grass and mud hazards.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and I really love playing it. Quite a different type of challenge being heavily wooded. It is not a big open city type park. If you are in the area, give it a try. It is certainly a nice challenge.

5+    6/13/2010   6/14/2010
Review By: thamby
Pros: Great local club! the pads are still rubber for naw but better ones are in the works.
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: I have played many other courses around north Florida and keep finding myself saying why not just stay home and play this is a great course.

Great Course!!!

5+    4/24/2010   5/5/2010
Review By: Magg
Pros: Great variety of shots, some long distance shots but there is still a focus on accuracy that makes the course fun even for those that can not bomb it off the tee. Work is still going on to improve course conditions and it gets better every time.
Cons: Sometimes the wooded areas can be hard to get through because of mud, but I love the challenge!.
Other Thoughts: Very enjoyable course to play. Great practice area to warm-up on before going out to play. Very clean and fun course.

1st time through

1    3/16/2010   3/16/2010
Review By: PhillyDiscGolfer
Pros: This Course had a lot of fun holes at distances that really were great for needing an accurate drive. Lots of tight tree shots for added fun. Also having several open shots, this course lets you really rip a few too. 18 is very, very long and through several dozen wires holding up high tension power lines. The middle is open making for the longest straight shot I've ever seen anyone need, over seven hundred feet I believe.
Cons: Some tee pads are just marked on the grass. Some are dirt and a few are even rubber but not many. It looks like they are working on getting rubber on all the holes. Some tee pads are hard to find as they are still obviously being made permanent, but they are all there. Also if you do not know the course a walk up is needed on many holes to locate the basket as there are no signs for basket placement, or hole length, on any hole yet.
Other Thoughts: Some course construction is still under way but it is completely playable as is. While I played today, trees were being timbered on hole seven. Everyone was very friendly. They wouldn't let me skip the hole and let me play though to be the first to play it. I took a par which is nice to not Bog in front of an audience.

Lastly, The course is all the way to the back of Freedom park. You'll see the announcement board on the left which has a very nice hole layout of the course. If you photograph this with a phone before setting out for reference, some holes that are a little confusing as to pin placement will be made a little clearer.

Happy Golfing from the PhillyDiscGolfer!

1    2/9/2010   2/12/2010
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: Nice peice of parcel to have a DGC on ( it was a shame the designer didn't know how to utilize the space better). I loved the tunnel shot through the dense forrest of pines, especially the hole in which the basket was placed at the edge of the hill (unfortunately where the basket is and where the next tee area is, is pretty darn close).

If they hadn't had "NEXT TEE" signs in this park I would been screaming even louder of the dismay I had of this DGC.

I liked the "Island" hole, but thought that should be their last hole and not their first.
Cons: diretions to park states "Go west on 122 to a right on Hwy 125." I traveled 8 miles one way out of my way, only to discover that the directions should of stated Go EAST on 122 to a right on Hwy 125. BIG WHOOPS here. don't go west, unless you don't want to play this DGC.

Tee Signs, where we're they?? After a 1/2 hour mis direction to the park on behalf of BAD DIRECTIONS, I'm at the park and now I don't have directions to the baskets. I'm really highly aggitated now. And wish that the person who gave all the information to this DGC would identify themselves.

With the land they had, I thought the baskets could be placed in more difficult positions than what we played.

Holes # 2 and # 3 we're closed due to nearby construction.

home made bridges crossing creeks we're dangerous to walk over easily.
Other Thoughts: See Cons.

Freedom Park

1    1/19/2010   1/21/2010
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: New park and is the first disc golf course in the Valdosta area. This course is not far from I75 and once you find the park the course is easy to find. It is a very scenic and clean park and the course is set off by itself so there should not be interference from other park users. There were few people around when I played, but those that were there were very friendly and helpfull. Navigating the course was fairly easy due to the many temporary "next tee" signs placed all around the course. There is plenty of space here and the holes are separated well. However this does make some good walks between a few holes. The available terrain is well used in this design. There are multiple tees at most holes. However the tees are rubber pads and natural areas marked by colored stakes. I found the rubber pads very playable. There are a number of wetland or run off ponds used including the first hole, the basket is placed onto a peninsula. There are multiple challenges used, some baskets are placed within or next to clumps of trees there are baskets placed at the top of small hills, and at the edge of small streams. I found the course had a very nice combination of wooded holes and longer open holes. You will play over and next to water to test your nerves. As this course matures it should continue to improve.
Cons: The purest among us will find the lack of concrete tee pads a major negative, I did not the rubber pads were very playable. My biggest negative is the lack of signage at any of the holes. Hopefully this is due to the newness of the course and is in someone's plan to rectify. The next tee signs should be made from a more permanent material or will need periodic replacement. The first hole plays along the parking lot, an errant shot could hit a car. There a couple of places where you will have to cross water, these places could stand to have improved crossing.
Other Thoughts: This is a very nice addition to the disc golfing community of Georgia. The park is not yet completed, work on the baseball fields was ongoing the day I played so I fully expect this park will be much improved as time goes on. It is a very enjoyable and challenging course to play. You will find a nice variety of holes. The only real challenge missing here is elevation change, but there is very little elevation change in this part of the state. I had a great time and fully intend to play again when I am in the area.