Ingleside, TX
Live Oak Park - Gold Share
Uploaded By: Roc1Time Hole #3 (Taken 7/2009)

Not So Good

1    5/25/2014   5/27/2014
Review By: Jincilla
Pros: It is hard.
Has lots of dog legs.
Secluded so non disc golf traffic is not a problem.
Cons: This course is difficult but not In a fun way. If you like dogleg this course is full of them... The entire course was built into a briar patch... If you like tippy toeing through thorns this is the course for you... With dogleg and tree covered fairways you are going to be in the rough.. I'm not a fan of having to walk down the fairway to get to the teebox.. Course did not flow well and was a little irritating to navigate.. The fact that I played it on Memorial day weekend and the red course was packed and there was no one playing the gold course shows that even the locals don't want to play this course...
Other Thoughts: The bugs are bad... I had to drench my self in off... The course was made hard for the sake of being hard... This course is not balanced at all... The rough Is horrible the holes are made to ensure you land in the rough...
Overall It is the worse course I have ever played... Iv played other super hard courses that destroyed my score but they where fun as the risk vrs reward was balanced. I shot a 12 over about the same as I shoot at circle c in Austin... They either need to clear some of the thorn bushes out of the high traffic rough landing zones or widen the fairways to make shot shaping more feasible.

It's a Fizziness in my ear

1    1/5/2010   10/20/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal rank: 106

This course has it's "Hardest in the state" claim for a reason. Long tight fairways will require accuracy before distance, poor shots will be punished by thick rough making recovery difficult.

Live Oak Gold makes my favorites list for being a stand out challenge, it takes it a step beyond any other course in the area and remains one of the most challenging courses I've played.

If you're looking for a grueling butt kicking, I recommend this course, paired with the much mellower red course it's well worth coming out of the way for a day of disc golf in Ingleside.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

Welcome To The Woods

5+    11/29/2011   11/29/2011
Review By: hefalump
This review was updated on 12/20/2011
Pros: Best course in this area of the state. Challenges around every corner and dogleg. So tough is this course, that it never plays the same. Just try to remove the "tree magnets" from your discs! I love this course. Wish this was up in Austin as well. Holes 1-9 play in the woods behind the two ball fields in Live Oak Park. Hole 10 brings you out of the woods temporarily. Holes 11-15 bring you back in the woods then holes 16-18 are mostly open grip and rip holes. Watch out for the trees and keep that disc in the fairway.
Cons: If there are any, it's the trees! Too many chances to lose a disc in the brush or high trees. Lots of trash scattered throughout the course due to not too many trash cans.
Other Thoughts: Practice basket was stolen recently. Hope the thieves suffer a bad attack of conscience! Either that, or maybe someone or something will ruin their good time one of these days. Favorite hole is number 8. It may not be a good ace hole, but definitely easy to deuce. Holes 2, 5, 8, 11 & 15 good birdie holes.

Working in Rockport!

1    10/9/2011   10/9/2011
Review By: TrickyTay
Pros: First time playing the course! Really enjoyed playing here. Besides playing in the rain, I thought this was a well designed course. Course layout pretty much covers the entire park, which I thought was awesome!
Cons: While playing the course, I have noticed that there are MANY trees in the fairway. It made it very difficult for me to make my shots.
Other Thoughts: I believe that disc golf is all about control of your disc. This is a great course to practice your control.

Worth the Drive

2-4    7/24/2011   7/26/2011
Review By: Riceman
This review was updated on 2/3/2012
Pros: Everyone has done a great job with their review. I agree with all of the comments, so I will say the best thing about this course is the traffic. There is none. Four of us played this course and the red course over several hours and saw only one other group of players. Wow! I play Cedar Hill every weekend and set my alarm to beat the crowds.
Cons: THORNS! I came out looking like a mountain lion attacked me. I'm not sure if long socks will even help. Jeans will work, but you'll probably pass out from the heat in the summer.
Other Thoughts: Locals should really spread the word about how great disc golf is and what great courses they have. This makes a great weekend disc golf trip. Corpus is only 15-20 minutes away.

What would you do for a Klondike bar?

5+    4/16/2010   4/7/2011
Review By: BradleyWilliams
Pros: The community stepped up and paid for a Championship course and they got one.
Bring out your bag of tricks while you blast your way through the sandy par 4's and treacherous par 3's. Chase the golden bands of glory with every birdie attempt on this mine field of a course. This course will leave your finger nails aching to be trimmed for their next round of golf. Hurry up and schedule your next road trip to happy, sunny Ingleside. The weather is and so should you.
Cons: I didn't find a pot of gold or a Dive bar at the end of this epic 18 hole masterpiece.
Other Thoughts: Bring 76 ounces of H20.

I'm starting to love Live Oaks

1    1/12/2011   2/25/2011
Pros: 1) Tee posts are visible and the teesigns have hole #, Map, and distance, all the critical information needed for good teesigns.

2) Very challenging and it makes no apologies, hence the name GOLD. The Red course is more for the beginners, the GOLD is not!

3) Great design using the property very well. It incorporates all sorts of different areas of the park into the design. There is a major drainageway that gets used multiple times and in different ways which really makes for some interesting holes. Most of the course has been carved through heavy woods with lots of underbrush. Most of this brush has been pushed out of the way to remain out of pla as much as possible, but there are a couple times you might end up in some cutup debris and make it tough to find your disc.

4) Nice concrete tee pads in great shape allowing for optimum teeing conditions.

5) I get a lot of enjoyment trying to care my way around corners and through these tight tunnel fairways. Even if I don't completely execute the shot perfectly, it is fun to watch and would be enough to make me come back.

6) Very nice mix of shots on this course. You need to work the disc both directions and also straight at times. You don't have any elevation to deal with but you do need to think about the height of some shots because of the lower ceilings at times instead of just airing it out.

7) Nice variety of holes here because there is some water in play, both streams and a pond, there is tight technical woods, there are true tunnel shots, and then there are a couple open bomber holes. Rollers are taken out of play because of what looks like unmowed turf on those open holes really forcing long throws through the air (thats not good or bad, just worth mentioning).

8) Bathrooms are available by the Red course and garbage cans are available by both courses.

9) The sands soil in spots is really an interesting aspect of the game that I have only seen in Florida and Texas. The sandy soils plays very differently than compacted soil. I am sure that the sand drains well which would be a plus in wet weather, plus any of the holes going through the woods have lots of woodchips and grindings on the ground to help reduce the mud factor.

10) I really enjoy having holes with legitimate par 4 and par 5 holes. These holes ar enot only tight but they are long requiring accuracy the entire way. Accuracy here is the priority rather than distance.

11) Nice discatchers in great shape. I love the yellow band on wooded courses like this, it makes it so mcuh easier to find where you are supposed to be headed.
Cons: 1) There is way more underbrush on this course than the red, thus helping to increase the challenge, but also increasing the frustration factor.

2) Some luck is needed from time to time. That will be the case on all courses at some point or another, but I think that some more defined lines could have been created to be a little more fair. Perhaps this was by intent to really push the limits of what people are willing to go for in terms of risk/reward.

3) Lots of stumps are visible and in the way to make you trip. It is clear a lot of clear cutting was done to make this course what it is. It is a fact of life, I guess I just wish that when this is done that more time is spent grading and smoothing the fairways to avoid the tripping hazard.

4) Navigation signs woul dbe really helpful from time to time on certain holes. It is tough to find where you are going in a few spots, just keep your eyes peeled for the next tee sign, but a couple of simple small signs would reduce this issue.

5) Be careful when walking to the next tee because there are a couple times where you enter the next fairway before getting to the tee meaning you could step out into a fairway and get a disc in the ear because the people on the tee might not see you. I only saw it with very few leaves on trees and shrubs etc. so I am unsure of how protected those places will look in season with full foliage.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the Red course which I played the day before I played here, and I originally didn't think I would get to play it, but my wife wanted to come back here to do some bird watching in the morning so I got a chance to play both Gold and Red and am glad I did. I like both courses a lot, but the GOLD I like because of the challenge it presents. I overlooked a lot of the issues this course has because it is simply a great challenge. I think a lot more could have been done with cleanup after the initial design and cutting work was done. This course feels a lot newer and it is actually only 2 years old at this point, so i am sure it will get itself worked out over time. The red course has have almost 20 years to get played in and it is noticable. I am giving this course a 4 which is also what i gave the Red course, but I feel like this is a much better course long term because of the constant challenge it presents. I like shorter fun courses from time to time, but I would ultimately prefer the challenging course everytime.

Must play if you are in the area

1    1/13/2010   1/14/2010
Review By: zj1002
Pros: Amazing tees and signs. Some very challenging holes, mainly hole 14. It is over 750, and winds through a tight low tunnel of trees. Olse is making courses which value placement, not just avoiding the first tree, which is a great challenge for advanced players.
Cons: You can tell the course does not get a lot of traffic which is good and bad. There are a lot of thorns in the rough and even in the fairway. I have a CE Firebird that now has some thorns stuck in it. Wear long socks and also bug spray. The rough is very rough.
Other Thoughts: I live in Austin so for me this course was like playing at WILCO at Circle C. It has a lot of similarities with both course, and just about every course you see from Houck/Olse. I don't think there was a single hole I disliked, however it is not near as hard as other reviews make it out to be. As far as I know this is the most challenging course in the Corpus Christi area which could be why this course has had some skewed ratings. This course is a MUST PLAY if you are in the area, but if you have played courses in Austin, it will be like playing at WILCO

Bugs R Us

1    8/21/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: sub ceroh
Pros: Great course. I was on vacation with the family and played all the area courses. This one has to be my favorite one. It reminds me of Waco's Beast course. Tough well wooded area's. This is NOT a beginner course. I'm not sure if there where water shots or not? Looked like dried up creeks and ponds that I'm sure would add a challenge away from the summer months. Great concrete tee pads and sand-tree bark ground, little to no grass. I love that there are several 500+ shots here. With all the trees it makes for a great challenge. All the tee's where marked with home made signs stuck in the ground. If the next tee was not visible there was a home made marker to show you the way. This course will work you FH, BH, and roller shots and you will need to bring them all.
Cons: BUGS BUGS BUGS.. Bring Off. I'm not sure if it was mosquitoes or what but I got bit by every bug known to man. I did not see any working water fountains when I was there so bring water.
Other Thoughts: There are bushes here and there that swarms of lizards run out of.

Tough But Awesome!

1    8/6/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: dacuban1
Pros: First off...best disc couse in all south texas, might be one of the hardest as well. Great variations of trees and other shot barriers. Very "Outdoorsie" course ( no surrounding homes) Wild Javelinas all around. just saw some today!
Cons: Hard Course!! must be fairly skilled to avoid every tree thats in the fairways! Play with someone who has played it or u can miss tee boxes. Sharp rose bushes and texas Brush. Narrow Fairways between trees.
Other Thoughts: Friendly people everywhere out in Inglside. A MUST for South Texas!