Auburn Hills, MI
Civic Center Park Share
Uploaded By: DirtyMittenDG Hole #5 (Taken 3/2009)
Hole #5

bring yo putta

1    4/17/2014   4/17/2014
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic-- plays through a very large park with many other amenities. This area seems to be disc golf exclusive which is awesome! Other than walking down to the lake, I can't see a reason anyone would be on this course.

Routing and nav--it's a snap, really. the baskets and tees are right on top of each other. I can't forsee anyone getting lost here.

Teesigns-- adequate for what they need to be. very basic (like the course) showing a line and distance, along with the hole number.
Cons:
Teepads-- I like the idea that the front of the box is open, but the mulch is crazy. I don't see any need to have a run up here as the holes are crazy short but if someone were needing to do so, there's no trip hazard.

Challenge--zero. holes are so short. It's a par 22 course with many par 2's (and deservedly so)

Variety-- some curves but mostly straight forward..

Risk v Reward-- none.

Baskets-- Old DB5s. all there but in pretty rough shape. a lot of the chains are either loose or hooked to the wrong ring.
this is a great kids park for dg. not for anyone serious about the sport... for the love of god, if anyone brings an r-pro boss, they should be shot.

SHORT COURSE!

2-4    8/3/2013   8/4/2013
Review By: Airzoom11
Pros: Ace run on every hole!
Good First time Kids course
Good for children under 8 years of age
Cons: WAY too short of holes
- given each tee position is essentially a jump putt (no joke) it is too short... i think one hole was just over 70 ft... and the average hole is just over 100 feet.

no challenge in the holes at all
- some may compare this to "putt putt" or mini golf reletive to regular ball golf.... however it is just not comparable because the holes have no challenge (if there were windmills and bridges and clown mouths that you had to use to get to the hole then i would understand the comparison much more haha... just kidding)

Other Thoughts: This course location has sooooo much potential and it is actually a fun place to go to make up your own holes. If the course design used the pond/lake that is next to the course, or played into the nearby trees a little bit more it has the opportunity to be a great course.

In my opinion, dont waste your time here, given you can practice putting at another nearby course (or in your backyard trowing at a tree :P...) and have a much more enjoyable time

Small but fun

5+    4/21/2013   4/23/2013
Review By: todddarling1
Pros: Small great course for Kids, Ace attempt at every hole. As others have said it's like mini Golf. Never Crowded. My son is just learning to play and this is a great confidence builder course. Nothing fancy, but it's fun. watch the woods Got a case of poison Ivy there a few years back.
Cons: A couple of baskets are a little beat up, and Not a huge fan of mulch tee pads. Poison Ivy
Other Thoughts: This is a great quick course you can play and practice putting on, It has it's charm and makes good use of the land they have. Never busy. Thinking it would be a fun ace race course. Every Hole is a good ace run makes it fun to play. Also you can just bring a putter and be fine. Nice for younger players and beginners Due to it's small size and underuse, no feeling like you got to rush through because people are behind you.

Great small course

5+    7/16/2012   8/16/2012
Review By: ZdybelT
Pros: -Tees are good for being wood chips.
-easy navigation.
-baskets in okay condition.
-good for short games when in a time crunch.
-usually empty.
-great location for glow games.
-best use of land for what they were given.
Cons: -Needs trash cans.
-A bit more variation of throws would be good.
Other Thoughts: This course is a nice start for some players as well as a course for better players to work on their putts. When I play I just bring three discs instead of my bag of 12. It is usually empty out of the many times I have played I believe I have only seen three other discers. This is the first course I aced due to the small distances but an ace is an ace. Glow games are also great because you dont need to walk all over the place to set it up and there is a low chance of losing a disc. Honestly I know its rated on the poorer side but its one of the better more fun courses I have played so give it a shot and judge for yourself.

Good Putter Only Course

1    3/11/2012   3/20/2012
Review By: jb375
Pros: Never busy, no cost to play there, parking is right by start of course. Holes are really short, but not boring.
Cons: Short holes, tee boxes are just mulch (but new mulch seems to get added 1-2x a season). Basket on hole 5 is falling apart, basket portion is held on with duck tape.
Other Thoughts: Great course to hone your putter skills. I usually play this with 2 different putters and it has really helped me out when I play other courses. Can easily play through 9 in 15-20 mins with 1 or 2 other people. Usually play this course 2-3x through and it's always fun since you usually are there by yourselves.

Small, yet Fun

5+    6/20/2010   11/12/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: This is a well-designed 9-hole course with excellent baskets, good signs, and easy flow and navigation. The holes are extremely short, but they are not boring. Many of the baskets are well-placed and driving past the basket might cost you your birdie. This course would be great for younger kids to play and also introducing people to the game. This course is an ace race course for experienced disc golfers which can be super fun if you come here with the proper expectations. Scores in the teens are possible.

You can play the course easily with one disc, a putter is recommended. You can also play a round or two in no time at all. The area is also very nice and safe. There is a good chance that other park users will stop for a minute and watch you throw (then you can impress them by hitting chains on #1 like ZMan44 did!)
Cons: The woodchip-filled tee boxes are obviously not ideal and it does not stay in the wood frames, but a run up is not really necessary as most holes are reachable with a putter.

The total disc golf area is very small and would become quite crowded if lots of people were playing.
Other Thoughts: We played this course only because it was close to our hotel as we were making our way to Flip City. It turned out to be one of the most memorable and fun times we have ever had on a disc golf course. It was like mini-golf. We had several good laughs and played the course several times that day.

AH Civic Center

5+    8/27/2010   9/15/2010
Review By: jansenk4
Pros: -Nice warm-up round (if you don't know what I'm talking about Grizzley Oaks DGC is across the street on OU campus)
-Clean
-Not busy
-Ace attempts at every hole (not gonna lie that makes it exciting)
-Can't really lose a disc unless you're careless
-Good for kids/intro to the game
-You know where you are shooting (the holes are 73-200 ft so they are close)
-Good midrange practice
Cons: -Woodchip tee pad (I don't know how much this affects you due to distance of holes)
-If you want to use a driver not really the course you want to play
-Hole 2 is my favorite hole but don't let it fade to the left too much or you may have issues with thorns. 4,6,8 also have the same thorn problem, but control your shot and you're good.
-If you are looking for difficulty this is not the place for you.. just so you know
Other Thoughts: You can check out pictures and lengths of the holes on the other tabs, which clearly indicate the pin in the image. Check them out!

Me and my brother would play this course round after round. Why? We were new to the game and got sick practice on our midrange game. Never crowded when we went although Squirrel was under construction at the time.

Awesome Fun

1    6/20/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: If this course wasn't so short, it would have gotten a much better grade. The baskets are in good condition. Course flow is simple as it is all located in one small area. The park is pristine. The police are about 100 yards away so it is a safe environment.

Those are the typical things I look for when I review a course. However, Civic Center's best selling point is that it is a blast to play.
Cons: The biggest cons are obvious to anyone who has played the course. It is very short...many holes are under 100 feet. The area is a very small, so I would imagine that if there are multiple groups playing that the odds of getting hit with an errant disc are higher than on a typical course. I don't really care for mulch tee pads, but they aren't so bad given the style of the course.
Other Thoughts: Is this course going to challenge you? Nope. Is this course going to make you plan out your next shot before teeing off? Nope. But there is just something about this course. My friends and I were in Michigan on a disc golf excursion and our hotel happened to be about a mile away. We decided to give it a shot even though we had read the specs on the course from the site. We played it 8 times. I played with a Wasp and a Wizard...and teed off with the Wizard on all holes except for #7. Your score should be 18 (or lower) when you leave, but we decided not to play it that way. We made up a game where an Ace was worth 5 points, chains were worth 2 points, basket and pole were worth 1 point....and it was a blast!

This is the most perfect place I have ever seen to introduce young children to the game. My 7 year old daughter would love it. It is in a nice park, very safe, and very casual.

I think every city should have a course like this. Ace run after ace run. It is the kind of course that if you asked another player about you would get some grumbling about it being mini-golf and not challenging anyone...yada yada. But then you would see that same guy out there just before dark getting some putting practice and going for aces with no one else around. As a moderately skilled disc golfer, I am not ashamed to say I loved it for what it was.

In conclusion, if I lived in this area and had about 2 weeks of time off...I would get out the video camera and pass Cubby!

2-4    2/4/2010   2/4/2010
Review By: runninlikebarry20
Pros: This is a short and sweet course like I have never seen before. Ace attempts at every tee. Easily reached from I-75.
Cons: None in my eyes. It is what it is, a nice short game practice course.
Other Thoughts: I had a blast playing this little bastard. Its quick and easy with a good flow. I will be back to play this again.

Intro to Disc Golf

5+    9/11/2009   10/9/2009
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 3/29/2010
Pros: - Clean, well maintained park - very pleasant, relaxed setting.
-GREAT course for introducing young children to disc golf.
- Good for practicing putts and approaches (even on a lunch break)!
- No reason to wait at all: very light traffic and, everything's close together, so you can easily skip a hole or two and come back to them.
- Decent tee signs with distance clearly indicated.
- Great for finding out just what you can do with your putter (seriously)!
- Chance of disc loss extremely low (but possible if you go nuts and overthrow these short holes).
- Baskets are in fair shape.
Cons: - Not a serious disc golf course: If you call yourself a disc golfer, the ONLY purpose this course serves is as a practice putting green.
- Tee boxes made from railroad ties filled with wood chips. Plain grass would be an improvement.
Other Thoughts: I mean this quite literally: This is to Disc Golf what Putt-Putt is to real golf. The only disc you'll need here is a putter (although you could use a midrange for hole # 7). Drivers should be prohibited on this course.
I can't even say it's a beginner course for adults - nearby Bay Court or Fire Fighters are much more suitable for adults (even for a first time out).

HOWEVER, if you want to work on your short game, this is a great place to do so. You can break out your putter and get tons of practice on putt and approach in 30 mins.

This is also an EXCELLENT place to introduce young kids to disc golf: nothing intimidating, all the baskets are right in front of you and nary pot smoker to be found - EVER! (only a complete idiot would light one up with the police station less than 1000 ft away on the same piece of city property).