Saugatuck, MI
Shore Acres Park Share
Uploaded By: MDeezy Hole #15 (Taken 10/2010)

feels quite secluded

1    8/22/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: Perhaps because we arrived before daylight; after driving all night; had breakfast in a diner; and then played this at first light....Shore Acres had a wonderful feel too it. Somewhat reminded me of an ocean side course with the sand and the dew on the grass; bird's chirping, etc.
Long, concrete tees all holes. (On many holes; rubber mat tees were still evident; so, concrete fairly new).
Brooms to sweep sand, on many tees.
Lots of what I considered to be quality shots through tight lanes.
Water hole across pond on #14.
Nice balance of shots required; with some quality anny shots (for rhbh).
Roll away greens in many spots. This is one of the outstanding features here; and is quite present at many courses in western Michigan.
I thought we both played roll aways well. I also made a couple quality putts; and yet, we both finished over par. (With that said,I only had two birds, so, didn't shoot that great).
Some of the wooded approaches; if kicked off the fairway, had pretty severe hill side fall off; into schule.
Trash receptacles.
Homey seating areas.
Abandoned building at beginning of course, somehow added to interesting feeling of course.
We enjoyed playing here quite a bit, and debated playing a second round; even though we had courses planned for the entire day. This ended up being better than anything we played in Grand Rapids. (Though, Riverside is a nice course).
Cons: There were no scorecards or maps at the start. We simply went to first tee and began to play. We did find our way around 18 holes without too much trouble; but, for instance; number 10 bucket labeled as #6....#11 tee sign also had #9 written on the post for sign, etc. We played #10 twice; due to a walk back situation; and I'm still not sure it was the correct play of the hole; as there was another bucket deeper right; and the length of the hole we played seemed out of place with the rest of the course lengths (too short). I did deuce it both times though! Also, many of the footage numbers on the signs seemed short to us...
Sand influenced run ups on most upshots. (Just the nature of the course to me; but some may find this a con). Definitely was a factor in play....
Other Thoughts: Our enjoyment level here was a 4. Navigation issues need to be worked on a bit. I understand that when course upgrades are in progress, it is impossible to get everything done at once; so, I'm not complaining, just pointing out, that right now, this one's a bit tough to navigate.
Seems to be getting better all the time.
We finished around 8:30 a.m., and there were six cars in the lot already; on a Friday! So, evidently, we are not the only ones appreciating improvement efforts here....

1    8/4/2010   8/4/2010
Review By: sgamerp
Pros: -Signs.- Super Nice and pretty on par to whats up.
-Cement Tee Pads - Seems pretty new and pretty long compared to most others which is nice.
-A lot of Variations in shots.
-New Baskets. - Discatchers I think and brand new.
-Score Cards.
Cons: - A good amount of blind Shots.
- Very Buggy in the bag.
- A lot to the right
Other Thoughts: I played with the guy who designed it and a guy who plays there a lot so it was a lot easier for me to get around. A lot of bugs. It's on a Mountain Bike trail so watch out for bikers. Signs mark all O.B.'s It needed to be mowed a bit but they said they were getting someone to come out and mow.

michigan cactus?

1    8/3/2010   8/3/2010
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Location--absolutely beautiful piece of land with an awesome duneside locale. Michigan cactus and bamboo? are plentiful through the course.

Signage--Wow! signs are beautiful, accurate and informative.

Layout/flow--Flows well, no need for a map. places following a longer hole have stakes (much like Branstrom) to tell ya where to go.

Variety--starts open, goes into the woods and goes back and forth into and out of the woods. and the woods is thick!

Hole 14 and 17--Loved them. Hole 14 should be the signature hole on this course. start at the top of the hill with a huge bomb shot about 400 feet to a small pond you have to either throw over (near impossible) or throw around (way smarter). Hole 17 throw across a road into a small window in very thick woods. We all hit the hole amazingly enough.

Baskets---Beautiful, make you hate discatchers a little more.
Cons:
Variety--a little heavy on right fades. a LOT of blind shots.

Baskets--a lot are marked with the wrong hole number, assuming these are recycled from old layout.

Other Thoughts: This course will only get better with age. We will definitely be making another trip to saugatuck for this true west michigan gem.

Feel that? Thats lake breeze goodness.

5+    6/29/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: bizarbies
Pros: New course layout is stellar.
The trucks are gone.
The breeze is warm and kicking.
The beach is close, put your big toe in and enjoy the water.
Great times in a super setting.
Cons: Grass is high in spots.
Other Thoughts: This is a wonderful gift to the world. Take someone new out and show them the sport of disc golf. Shore Acres is a great place to learn!!

cacti in the dunes

1    5/16/2010   5/19/2010
Review By: mabraddock
Pros: new course design flows pretty well, although i hadn t played the original... beautiful park located in the dunes of saugatuck... good baskets, and now alcohol friendly!!
Cons: the new holes haven t been beaten in yet, and definitely missing signage...
Other Thoughts: i really liked this course and would recommend it to anyone wanting to play in the sand... i lived in the dunes for ten years and this is the only place i have ever seen cacti... get five and six beaten down and the rest of the pads in and i d give it a four...

Excellent Course!

2-4    5/9/2010   5/10/2010
Review By: Jak3
Pros: Awesome course, some very fun holes. Layed back, not overcrowded. The cliff hole is fun.

Someone was nice enough to donate some rubber mats to use as tee-pads for the time being - Thank you kind sir

Alot of cactus growing out there, i didnt even know cactus existed in Michigan, awesome.
Cons: Theres one basket next to a bunch of ehhh sewer structures that seems a bit out of place...

Tee-pads need to be filled in.

Last time i was out there i ran into two separate people who were just "throwing around" they offered to let me play thru, both times as i walked to retrieve my disc for my second shot on two separate holes i got bombarded by disc as the guy couldnt wait for me to play the hole before he started chucking drives at my head.... Get out of here and take your 15 unleashed animals with you.

Watch out for this prick, he seemed like a course regular.
Other Thoughts: Overall its a new and fun course, i look forward to going back for a 3rd time.

oh yea

1    5/6/2010   5/7/2010
Review By: HuntDawg
Pros: longer holes and nice area to play in. theres a 650 foot hole that is very challenging but fun to throw
Cons: confusing at hole 6 or 8 i dont remember we just skipped to the clossest tee witch was 11
Other Thoughts: watch out for those melonheads man
they will get ya

Excellent flow

1    4/22/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: DiscBiscuit
Pros: I love this course. It flows along better than any course that I've played. Its seems that a lot of courses use mandos, or holes with exaggerated length to make up for rediculously short holes or a lack of space. Not this course.
Cons: Cement not poured yet.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for the huge drop-offs on the side of the sand pits!

Uh Oh No Hole

5+    6/19/2009   11/4/2009
Review By: young_gun84
This review was updated on 6/28/2010
Pros: Beautiful Location
Nice Rolling Terrain
New Cement tees
New Signage
New Layout
Greatly Improved since the last I played
Other Thoughts: Played it again over the weekend, They had changed the layout of the course added signs and cement pads. It is much improved and I encourage others who may have played it over the last year to come see the new holes.

Diamond in the rough...

5+    8/27/2010   10/11/2009
Review By: Terry C
This review was updated on 8/30/2010
Pros: -nice mix of holes
-good baskets
-18 holes
-unique park layout
-new cement pads
-nice tee signs and markers
-brooms on most holes
-great mix of shots,elevation, and distances!
Cons: -slightly confusing layout( download map before playing, i got mine from a friend and posted it on the links/file tab above), or play the course with someone whos familiar with it)
Other Thoughts: I originally rated this course as average, but going back a year later I was happy to see so many improvements. Several holes were changed and revamped, the tee pads were cemented and nice signs and markers were installed. This course has had so much work done to it and is looking better than ever! This course is now FAR from an average course and is one of west michigans best!