Saugatuck, MI
Shore Acres Park Share
Uploaded By: MDeezy Hole #4 (Taken 10/2010)

Shore Acres (I call it home)

5+    9/1/2011   9/3/2011
Review By: lazydisc
Pros: This course is so well designed. Great use of terrain all the way thru. This course will have you throwing sideways on slopes, over hills and shrubs, up hills into woods, down into woods and across fields. Changeups between raw power shots (hole 14) to pull your punch (hole 10 short) to crazy tricksy (hole 17). Sometimes when I come out to play the holes are short..sometimes long. Havent figured out when they change..kinda nice to be surprised.
The layout of the course allows you to customize your round also. Lots of junctures allow to cut hole sections out. or loop around to play them again. The flow of this course is incredible. Ive tried sooo many ways to run this course.. not a single hiccup anywhere.
Concrete Tees, benches or similar at each hole, with trashcans it major break points. Shiney chain baskets. Signs detailing basket and next hole location. Junction at tee 10 and 4 has patio chairs even. Bathrooms at either end of course. Portopottie tho. Well groomed fairways.
Neat plants around, I didnt know that both bamboo and catcus grew in michigan..and at the same spot. Plenty of changes in the scenery all year long.
I love this course, I play it at least 5 times a week, and it never gets old. I still find parts of it immensely challenging, and this course has increased my skill greatly. The people that play here are very friendly from what Ive seen.
Cons: People that do not golf. This is not a Disc Golf only course. Its a township park. Pay attention when throwing over blind spots. Alot of people mistake the fairways for trails. Vandals have been active during the summer months but I figure when school gets back in, it will decrease.
Other Thoughts: Love this course. Cant express this enough. Its truly a gem. I started playing in Western Montana, and this course reminds me alot of the course back home. If you are anywhere in the area this course is a MUST play. I will continue to play this course as often I can. See you out there!

1    8/28/2011   8/29/2011
Review By: Skin5482
Pros: I loved the challenge that this course presented. I'm use to the courses around Chicago which are usually pretty flat or have a few trees in the way. This course was a wake up call to my game. The trees, elevation changes and distance really pushed me to view the best path to the hole instead of taking a quick glance and throwing. The maps at the tees were helpful but could've been better so I'd list them as a pro and a con. The conctrete tee pads were nice and seeing a brrom placed at a few tees was a nice addition too.
Cons: Some holes were hard to spot even when you got close to them. The maps were nice but they were very 2d, it would be nice if they could indicate changes in elevation. Also, some maps were damaged which made it dificult to figure out where to throw.
Other Thoughts: If I lived closer I'd play this course a few times a month just to improve my game. My brother and I really enjoyed playing this course this past weekend.

A Fun Course by the Beach

1    8/11/2011   8/14/2011
Review By: chad groen
This review was updated on 5/20/2012
Pros: Shore Acres is a well-kept course that offers a lot of variety with its hole designs. Some holes are in the woods with narrow fairways while others are in the open and only have a few obstacles to worry about (though the obstacles that are there can cause problems if you're not careful). This course has a lot of blind tee shots, not just because of the trees but also because of the hilly environment (the elevation does come into play on quite a few holes). With that said, you would think it would be easy to lose your disc, but that normally isn't the case with this course. The woods may be thick with trees, but there aren't many weeds in there and the grass is usually pretty short. Some holes favor forehand drives while others favor backhand drives. The length of the holes vary, and they also have alternate hole locations. There are a few OB areas throughout the course that makes some of the holes a little trickier to play. The signs are helpful, and brooms are sometimes provided at each tee pad so players can sweep off any dirt or sand that might be on them.
Cons: This wooded area is real sandy because of how close it is to Lake Michigan, which, unfortunately, is why there isn't much grass on a lot of fairways. That's also why some of the tee pads can be real sandy, and they don't always provide brooms to sweep them off. Some of the holes can be real muddy for awhile after it rains, and, during the summer, the mosquitoes can also become real bad as a result. There are a few holes in the woods that seem a little too narrow because of all the trees in the way. Also some of the signs have been subjects of vandalism.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is one of my favorite courses in Michigan. It's not perfect, but the holes offer different layouts that can be real fun to play and can also test your skills because of the tricky shots they offer. The course is in good shape, and it's a course that people of all skill levels can enjoy. Best of all, this course is so close to Lake Michigan that if you play here on a hot summer day you can take a dip in the lake afterward to cool off.

Where's the beach?

1    7/3/2011   7/5/2011
Review By: jasonc
Pros: This relatively new course has excellent concrete tee pads and Discraft Chainstar baskets. All baskets have been recently re-labeled with proper numbers.

A couple of locals we talked to before the round informed us that recent course upgrades have included a 2nd pin location on each hole. We were lucky enough to show up on a day when all baskets were in the longs. A big arm is needed to score well in this configuration.

The course offers great variety, with the shorter holes playing difficult, tight fairways through the more heavily wooded areas in the park.

Most holes offer some type of elevation challenge.
The benches and brooms at each tee were a nice touch as well. The locals were very friendly and helpful. 2 of them told us that this course is more challenging than Flip City.
Cons: This is probably a temporary issue, but signs need to be updated to reflect the 2nd pin positions on each hole.

Other park users, mostly people walking to and from the beach have no clue that they are passing through the course. We had to wait on several holes because families were walking through the fairways. Please pay attention to the non-disc golfers and use spotters when playing in a group.
Other Thoughts: The sand presented a unique challenge, especially on some approach shots where I would normally take 2 or 3 steps.

I was not expecting desert conditions even though we were so close to Lake Michigan. However, we saw plenty of cacti throughout our round. This certainly spurred an investigation of the dog's paws after we finished.

Hole info here says there is water on #14. We did not see any water come into play on any hole.

Newer players may become frustrated with the difficulty here, but it is a wonderful place to learn how to shape lines and deal with the wind. This course will easily be a 4.0 or 4.5 when the signs and maps are updated to reflect the long pin info.

I would certainly play this course again.

Fun challenging course

1    5/21/2011   5/21/2011
Review By: jimmie51
Pros: I would have started off my pros with how fun the course is, but as I got the the 17 tee I ran into a group of locals. They invited me to finish the course with them and I have to say what a great group of people. They were very helpful and friendly. The course itself was alot of fun. Challenging and yet forgiving. It's the type of course that won't get old after you have played it 50 times. This course will change as the seasons change so the "sweet spot" will change and the seasons do. A beginner could play this course and have a lot of fun and yet its still challenging for the more advanced players.
Cons: The tee's can be a bit confusing, and there are some holes where figuring out where the basket is a little tricky, but there are hole maps at every tee that show you where the next tee is. This isn't really a con, to be honest I don't really have any cons, but it was the one thing that threw me off. Once you play the course one time it will be no problem, its very easy to figure it out from there.
Other Thoughts: Over all great course. Great people and a challenging yet very enjoyable course. With it only being 30 min from my house I will be playing this course a lot this summer.

Lake Michigan Discin'

2-4    4/8/2011   4/11/2011
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - Shore Acres, minutes away from Lake Michigan, is home to a challenging 18-hole disc golf course in the style fairly typical of Western Michigan. Overlooking the course's parking lot is a large historical mansion. Stiff lake winds make the open grassy areas a constant adventure to navigate, while the wooded holes boast tight fairways, tasty
elevation changes, and good wooded-to-open or open-to-wooded style holes.
- The course possesses a great balance throughout. Long and short distances are well represented, although nothing reaches 450'. The longer holes are a mix of wooded and open, or half-and-half. Out of the shorter holes, only one is a cheap ace run. The others present pin-ball tree walls or tricks of elevation to contend with. Greens take advantage of elevation to create rollaway or wind gust risks when possible.
- Several holes give you extremely tight lines to hit. #2 shoots up hill into a wall of trees and then downhill to the pin. Unless you can go over the trees, you're left with only one or two very narrow windows. #11 has a nice tight fairway that does present an ace line for those with the right touch.
- Great use of elevation throughout. Every hole has some trick of elevation to keep in mind.
- Concrete tee pads, many with brooms to help keep the omnipresent sand momentarily at bay.
- Practice basket.
- Port-a-john on site near parking lot.
Cons: - #3's tee has a pine tree very close to the right front of the pad. Exercise caution when teeing off, as slamming your hand into it is a real danger.
- The flow isn't intuitive in a couple places your first time through. Pay attention to the hole numbers on signs or you might end up playing the holes in an incorrect order. Especially a problem at #3 and #9.
- The main open field just past the parking lot is strewn with a ton of random junk: bent metal strips, random broken ceramic, etc.
Other Thoughts: - Several interesting plant species on site: Michigan red bamboo patches appear in a couple of places, and small odd succulent/ cactus plants dot the open grassy areas. Due to the close proximity to Lake Michigan, the course has a much sandier soil than most courses farther to the east.

new layout great, needs tweaks

2-4    10/8/2010   10/8/2010
Review By: rosh
This review was updated on 10/11/2010
Pros: Have played this twice, a year ago and a week ago (and hopefully later today). The layout has changed and improved from a year ago, the tees were updated to from rubber matts to cement and now has better marking of the tee, the hole and where the next tee is. Nice mix of open, woods short and long.
Cons: the baskets are still identified with the original hole numbers, which makes it harder to navigate the first time. On one or two holes, was not sure the proper basket, and just sort of guessed.
Other Thoughts: Long course, so takes some time to play (I'm an old guy with out much distance). Last played on a sunday morning and saw maybe four other groups playing. Plenty of parking. UPDATE: Played this twice in the last few days, between Friday and Sunday they moved four baskets, but I had no clue of that until later. Found three of the four that moved, but only after 'finishing' play at the previous spot. Be nice if hole diagrams indicated locations of alternate basketballs, and some indication at the first tee that alternative basket locations are in effect.

Shore Acres

5+    5/17/2012   9/17/2010
Review By: rshrevo
This review was updated on 5/17/2012
Pros: Nice long concrete tee pads. Tee signs with hole location and direction needed to go to get to the next tee. Very nice mix of open long drive holes with the technical drives through wooded areas. The course forces you to use a lot of different types of shots in order to score well.
Cons: On hole five after taking our first drive we had to walk a bit in order to find where the basket was located. so blind shots was a small problem. nice that brooms were there but most were broken and only about 2 foot long.
Other Thoughts: I really loved playing the course didn't score very well but that wasn't due to the course. it just motivates me to get back there sometime and try and improve my score since i now know where all the holes are. Had some fun throwing on 14 down the long hill towards the pond. They have moved the basket to the tree line behind the hole adding about another 150 feet or more. really liked 17 trying to navigate the open fairway and trying to hit the small opening in the tree line to put me in line with the hole.

A little Partial

5+    9/7/2010   9/15/2010
Review By: T Wrecks
Pros: Lots of shot variety here. This course has a good balance for shots, from long open drives, to finesse tee shots to make it down tight fairways. I think theres a lot of variety here for all levels of players. OB makes the holes play even better, especially in the wind. Sand, Water, Bamboo, Cactus, Pine Trees, and Melonheads. What more can you ask for?
Cons: Broken Brooms, and not enough trash cans. With all the sand some of the teepads can get pretty sandy. On most of the tees, there are remnants of brooms that people broke.
Other Thoughts: The tee pads are nice and long, but some additional baskets, or holes would be nice. If you have some time, take a break after hole 11 and go swimming in lake Mi.

feels quite secluded

1    8/22/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: Perhaps because we arrived before daylight; after driving all night; had breakfast in a diner; and then played this at first light....Shore Acres had a wonderful feel too it. Somewhat reminded me of an ocean side course with the sand and the dew on the grass; bird's chirping, etc.
Long, concrete tees all holes. (On many holes; rubber mat tees were still evident; so, concrete fairly new).
Brooms to sweep sand, on many tees.
Lots of what I considered to be quality shots through tight lanes.
Water hole across pond on #14.
Nice balance of shots required; with some quality anny shots (for rhbh).
Roll away greens in many spots. This is one of the outstanding features here; and is quite present at many courses in western Michigan.
I thought we both played roll aways well. I also made a couple quality putts; and yet, we both finished over par. (With that said,I only had two birds, so, didn't shoot that great).
Some of the wooded approaches; if kicked off the fairway, had pretty severe hill side fall off; into schule.
Trash receptacles.
Homey seating areas.
Abandoned building at beginning of course, somehow added to interesting feeling of course.
We enjoyed playing here quite a bit, and debated playing a second round; even though we had courses planned for the entire day. This ended up being better than anything we played in Grand Rapids. (Though, Riverside is a nice course).
Cons: There were no scorecards or maps at the start. We simply went to first tee and began to play. We did find our way around 18 holes without too much trouble; but, for instance; number 10 bucket labeled as #6....#11 tee sign also had #9 written on the post for sign, etc. We played #10 twice; due to a walk back situation; and I'm still not sure it was the correct play of the hole; as there was another bucket deeper right; and the length of the hole we played seemed out of place with the rest of the course lengths (too short). I did deuce it both times though! Also, many of the footage numbers on the signs seemed short to us...
Sand influenced run ups on most upshots. (Just the nature of the course to me; but some may find this a con). Definitely was a factor in play....
Other Thoughts: Our enjoyment level here was a 4. Navigation issues need to be worked on a bit. I understand that when course upgrades are in progress, it is impossible to get everything done at once; so, I'm not complaining, just pointing out, that right now, this one's a bit tough to navigate.
Seems to be getting better all the time.
We finished around 8:30 a.m., and there were six cars in the lot already; on a Friday! So, evidently, we are not the only ones appreciating improvement efforts here....