Saugatuck, MI
Shore Acres Park Share
Uploaded By: MDeezy Hole #7 (Taken 10/2010)

Shore Acres

5+    5/17/2012   9/17/2010
Review By: rshrevo
This review was updated on 5/17/2012
Pros: Nice long concrete tee pads. Tee signs with hole location and direction needed to go to get to the next tee. Very nice mix of open long drive holes with the technical drives through wooded areas. The course forces you to use a lot of different types of shots in order to score well.
Cons: On hole five after taking our first drive we had to walk a bit in order to find where the basket was located. so blind shots was a small problem. nice that brooms were there but most were broken and only about 2 foot long.
Other Thoughts: I really loved playing the course didn't score very well but that wasn't due to the course. it just motivates me to get back there sometime and try and improve my score since i now know where all the holes are. Had some fun throwing on 14 down the long hill towards the pond. They have moved the basket to the tree line behind the hole adding about another 150 feet or more. really liked 17 trying to navigate the open fairway and trying to hit the small opening in the tree line to put me in line with the hole.

A little Partial

5+    9/7/2010   9/15/2010
Review By: T Wrecks
Pros: Lots of shot variety here. This course has a good balance for shots, from long open drives, to finesse tee shots to make it down tight fairways. I think theres a lot of variety here for all levels of players. OB makes the holes play even better, especially in the wind. Sand, Water, Bamboo, Cactus, Pine Trees, and Melonheads. What more can you ask for?
Cons: Broken Brooms, and not enough trash cans. With all the sand some of the teepads can get pretty sandy. On most of the tees, there are remnants of brooms that people broke.
Other Thoughts: The tee pads are nice and long, but some additional baskets, or holes would be nice. If you have some time, take a break after hole 11 and go swimming in lake Mi.

feels quite secluded

1    8/22/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: Perhaps because we arrived before daylight; after driving all night; had breakfast in a diner; and then played this at first light....Shore Acres had a wonderful feel too it. Somewhat reminded me of an ocean side course with the sand and the dew on the grass; bird's chirping, etc.
Long, concrete tees all holes. (On many holes; rubber mat tees were still evident; so, concrete fairly new).
Brooms to sweep sand, on many tees.
Lots of what I considered to be quality shots through tight lanes.
Water hole across pond on #14.
Nice balance of shots required; with some quality anny shots (for rhbh).
Roll away greens in many spots. This is one of the outstanding features here; and is quite present at many courses in western Michigan.
I thought we both played roll aways well. I also made a couple quality putts; and yet, we both finished over par. (With that said,I only had two birds, so, didn't shoot that great).
Some of the wooded approaches; if kicked off the fairway, had pretty severe hill side fall off; into schule.
Trash receptacles.
Homey seating areas.
Abandoned building at beginning of course, somehow added to interesting feeling of course.
We enjoyed playing here quite a bit, and debated playing a second round; even though we had courses planned for the entire day. This ended up being better than anything we played in Grand Rapids. (Though, Riverside is a nice course).
Cons: There were no scorecards or maps at the start. We simply went to first tee and began to play. We did find our way around 18 holes without too much trouble; but, for instance; number 10 bucket labeled as #6....#11 tee sign also had #9 written on the post for sign, etc. We played #10 twice; due to a walk back situation; and I'm still not sure it was the correct play of the hole; as there was another bucket deeper right; and the length of the hole we played seemed out of place with the rest of the course lengths (too short). I did deuce it both times though! Also, many of the footage numbers on the signs seemed short to us...
Sand influenced run ups on most upshots. (Just the nature of the course to me; but some may find this a con). Definitely was a factor in play....
Other Thoughts: Our enjoyment level here was a 4. Navigation issues need to be worked on a bit. I understand that when course upgrades are in progress, it is impossible to get everything done at once; so, I'm not complaining, just pointing out, that right now, this one's a bit tough to navigate.
Seems to be getting better all the time.
We finished around 8:30 a.m., and there were six cars in the lot already; on a Friday! So, evidently, we are not the only ones appreciating improvement efforts here....

1    8/4/2010   8/4/2010
Review By: sgamerp
Pros: -Signs.- Super Nice and pretty on par to whats up.
-Cement Tee Pads - Seems pretty new and pretty long compared to most others which is nice.
-A lot of Variations in shots.
-New Baskets. - Discatchers I think and brand new.
-Score Cards.
Cons: - A good amount of blind Shots.
- Very Buggy in the bag.
- A lot to the right
Other Thoughts: I played with the guy who designed it and a guy who plays there a lot so it was a lot easier for me to get around. A lot of bugs. It's on a Mountain Bike trail so watch out for bikers. Signs mark all O.B.'s It needed to be mowed a bit but they said they were getting someone to come out and mow.

michigan cactus?

1    8/3/2010   8/3/2010
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Location--absolutely beautiful piece of land with an awesome duneside locale. Michigan cactus and bamboo? are plentiful through the course.

Signage--Wow! signs are beautiful, accurate and informative.

Layout/flow--Flows well, no need for a map. places following a longer hole have stakes (much like Branstrom) to tell ya where to go.

Variety--starts open, goes into the woods and goes back and forth into and out of the woods. and the woods is thick!

Hole 14 and 17--Loved them. Hole 14 should be the signature hole on this course. start at the top of the hill with a huge bomb shot about 400 feet to a small pond you have to either throw over (near impossible) or throw around (way smarter). Hole 17 throw across a road into a small window in very thick woods. We all hit the hole amazingly enough.

Baskets---Beautiful, make you hate discatchers a little more.
Cons:
Variety--a little heavy on right fades. a LOT of blind shots.

Baskets--a lot are marked with the wrong hole number, assuming these are recycled from old layout.

Other Thoughts: This course will only get better with age. We will definitely be making another trip to saugatuck for this true west michigan gem.

Feel that? Thats lake breeze goodness.

5+    6/29/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: bizarbies
Pros: New course layout is stellar.
The trucks are gone.
The breeze is warm and kicking.
The beach is close, put your big toe in and enjoy the water.
Great times in a super setting.
Cons: Grass is high in spots.
Other Thoughts: This is a wonderful gift to the world. Take someone new out and show them the sport of disc golf. Shore Acres is a great place to learn!!

cacti in the dunes

1    5/16/2010   5/19/2010
Review By: mabraddock
Pros: new course design flows pretty well, although i hadn t played the original... beautiful park located in the dunes of saugatuck... good baskets, and now alcohol friendly!!
Cons: the new holes haven t been beaten in yet, and definitely missing signage...
Other Thoughts: i really liked this course and would recommend it to anyone wanting to play in the sand... i lived in the dunes for ten years and this is the only place i have ever seen cacti... get five and six beaten down and the rest of the pads in and i d give it a four...

Excellent Course!

2-4    5/9/2010   5/10/2010
Review By: Jak3
Pros: Awesome course, some very fun holes. Layed back, not overcrowded. The cliff hole is fun.

Someone was nice enough to donate some rubber mats to use as tee-pads for the time being - Thank you kind sir

Alot of cactus growing out there, i didnt even know cactus existed in Michigan, awesome.
Cons: Theres one basket next to a bunch of ehhh sewer structures that seems a bit out of place...

Tee-pads need to be filled in.

Last time i was out there i ran into two separate people who were just "throwing around" they offered to let me play thru, both times as i walked to retrieve my disc for my second shot on two separate holes i got bombarded by disc as the guy couldnt wait for me to play the hole before he started chucking drives at my head.... Get out of here and take your 15 unleashed animals with you.

Watch out for this prick, he seemed like a course regular.
Other Thoughts: Overall its a new and fun course, i look forward to going back for a 3rd time.

oh yea

1    5/6/2010   5/7/2010
Review By: HuntDawg
Pros: longer holes and nice area to play in. theres a 650 foot hole that is very challenging but fun to throw
Cons: confusing at hole 6 or 8 i dont remember we just skipped to the clossest tee witch was 11
Other Thoughts: watch out for those melonheads man
they will get ya

Excellent flow

1    4/22/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: DiscBiscuit
Pros: I love this course. It flows along better than any course that I've played. Its seems that a lot of courses use mandos, or holes with exaggerated length to make up for rediculously short holes or a lack of space. Not this course.
Cons: Cement not poured yet.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for the huge drop-offs on the side of the sand pits!