Wolcottville, IN
Delt Church Park Share
Uploaded By: shaggz Hole #13 (Taken 5/2012)
Hole #13 Tee Marker

Better than expected

1    5/8/2015   5/15/2015
Review By: b-mart
Pros: This course is in a park that many locals aren't even aware of. The playground alone warrants a visit if you're a parent... This particular course is unique when compared to all of the other courses I've played in the area. Less trees, more open/windy shots, water hazards, etc... But to the review:

Equipment: The baskets catch well enough I suppose. Not really any solid "equipment" pros to discuss though. See cons.

Navigation: The teepads are marked by small slabs of concrete on the ground. You can't see them until you're standing on top of them. Once you find them though, they're quite helpful. They point you in the general direction of the basket, and also have a basic map painted on them that gives the pin location as well as the location of the following tee.

Design: I'm a little bit surprised that this course is rated as low as it is, because it's surprisingly well designed. I expected a course in the middle of nowhere with low quality equipment to be stupidly designed, but this property was used very intelligently. The designer used the pond to challenge three of the holes, included one blind tee shot over a low rise, and included all of the types of shots a designer should include: Right, left, uphill, downhill, short, long... The only thing missing is technicality. But even with that being the case (it looks like the wooded areas of the park are mostly wetland anyway), there aren't many wide open gimme shots. Hole 15 is a prime example. It's a 500' shot across a wide open field by the playground, but the pin is placed behind the only tree in the field. This adds just enough challenge to keep you interested.

It's also nice to find an Indiana course with more holes over 300'. Of course short holes are great for newer players and those of us who don't have cannons for arms, but I don't like being lulled into a false sense of talent on a string of 250' holes either. I feel like I have to earn a par or birdie on a 300 footer, but if I walk away from a round on a course with an average hole length of 225' without a few birdies? I'm not happy about it.
Cons: Equipment: The baskets are cheaply made. As I previously stated, they do catch all right, but they're really just portable baskets that belong in one's backyard rather than on the course... A lot of them have been damaged over the years too by kids climbing on them, so they provide a smaller target than most are used to...

The teepads... aren't... teepads. They were willing to pour concrete on the ground to mark the pad, but there aren't any actual pads. On a course with quite a few holes in the 300-600' range, concrete teepads would be a big help. The tee areas were all flat and mowed, but if this course ever got heavy traffic they would be dead and rutted. I doubt this place will ever be heavily trafficked, but it's something to remember.

Navigation: This course is pretty confusing for a first time player. Without the map I would have been lost. Driving in it just looks like a bunch of baskets strewn around a park. It isn't, but none of the signage is above ground. At the very least the baskets should be taped, but adding in some sort of sign or post to mark the tee would be extremely helpful.

Design: The only "design" complaint that I have is that it plays across quite a few walking paths and roads. If the player isn't alert (and drivers/pedestrians aren't), someone could get hurt.
Other Thoughts: Be aware of ticks. I found two on my bag throughout my round. Luckily I didn't find any on me, but I certainly scoured every inch of my clothes and bag before getting in the car at the end.

Throwing a round under par here wouldn't be too difficult, but using the roads and rough areas as OB would certainly add to the challenge.

If I lived in the area, I'd be a regular here. It's free, it's 18 holes, and it's a pretty solid course. There's very little to punish an errant drive if you don't play certain areas as OB, but if you do? It becomes a pretty challenging course with the wind, narrow fairways, and longer holes. It just needs teepads, signage, and better baskets and it would easily be a 3.5. Possibly even a 4. Those things are obviously very important, but this was so well designed that I just can't rate it any lower than I have.

Not Impressed

1    4/16/2015   4/16/2015
Review By: Jpopi1995
Pros: Fairway was maintained
Cons: No signs showing where the course begins and if you are new to this course you may catch yourself walking in circles to find the 1st tee off.
Baskets were not regulation size, often when throwing your discs they would bounce a lot!
Other Thoughts: I will have to pass on ever returning to this course

You need long pants

1    6/2/2013   6/2/2013
Review By: smite7506
Pros: A great drive getting to the course.
Cons: Being a newer player this course takes a lot of control shots. If not you will need long pants to look for your disc in long grass and woods. Tees and hard to find just two little slabs on the ground.
Other Thoughts: Make sure you look on the slabs of the current tee so u can find the next tee.

The Amish Disc Golf Experience

1    5/2/2012   5/3/2012
Review By: badmidget
Pros: LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION! You're driving down curvy roads through Amish houses and open fields. You're dodging Amish buggies and their poo trails. You pass a few signs boasting "Fresh Milk" and "Brown Eggs For Sale", then BAM! Delt Church Disc Golf Course. It's so unexpected... and I love it because of that and more.

There's virtually no one there. This 119 acre park is surprisingly well maintained with mowed grass, cabin style bathrooms, an awesome playground and other park amenities... and all of it seemed to exist just for my buddy and I to play a round of disc golf yesterday afternoon. SO COOL! It gave me that Field of Dreams feel. Someone thought to themselves "If you build it, they will come".

As I said, the course is mostly mowed grass, but has a few ponds and tall grass areas. Fairways are pretty open but are often shaped by trees especially as you get closer to the basket. Gradual slopes of the course's terrain and the tucked-away basket locations provide a little more challenge than the cow pasture of a course you might expect this place to be.

The course is definitely worth playing. My favorite part was the uniqueness of it's location and the beautiful wide-open country scenery.
Cons: SIGNAGE - The signage is somewhat poor for first-timers. I have uploaded an updated 18 hole course map. Be sure to download it or print it out before you go as cell service is nearly nonexistent out there.

Baskets - The baskets are lower-end with only a single set of light-weight chains. Although this didn't bother me, it could cost you a few strokes as the chains don't stop much from going by.

Tee Pads - There are none. Normally this would bother me, but the ground is flat and easy to throw from without a tee pad.

Holes - Some of the holes are really long. I don't throw very far so par was impossible on a few of them.
Other Thoughts: Remember, this course has picnic tables around grilling areas and a great playground for the kids, so remember to bring the family. Because of it's remote location, it's not crowded with the typical crew of deadheads.

OH! and Amish buggies are everywhere so drive slowly!

Really enjoyed this course

1    5/2/2012   5/3/2012
Review By: shaggz
Pros: This was a surprisingly fun course for me and my buddy to play. I was skeptical when going here with it being such a low rated course on DG Course Review but I have a feeling it was mainly low reviewed due to the Tall grass on some of the long holes, well when I was there yesterday there was NO Tall weeds/grass at all, it was very maintained and the so-called weed net on the super long holes was definitely ran over with something because it was not bad at all and flattened to the ground, so for me and my buddy we had the entire course to our self playing during there on the weekday. I thoroughly enjoyed this course and cannot wait to go back and play it again, not to mention this INSANE playground setup they have there for the kids. I'm giving this a 4 just to try to bump up the ratings some I typically would have given this a 3.5 but the course def deserves better than a 2.
Cons: Being our first time at the course and not having that great of cell coverage out there to look much up online, we had a heck of a time finding the first tee. They are like rectangular gravestones in the grass there is no Upright signage that tells you where the first hole or the next tee is etc so that def was a little different to get use to. However, when you find the first tee which is right to the left of the playground btw then just pay attention to the graphical maps on them which List where the goal is for that whole with a red star, and it shows you where the next tee off area is with a T+hole number ..
Other Thoughts: Just a great place to play some disc golf a lot of fun, I lot of chances to really get to practice your driving and good number of wholes you can just open up on and maybe tests out some new discs. The crazy playground, bathrooms, and water fountains, and charcoal grilling areas are all a plus too :)

Probably Won't Play Again

1    7/19/2011   7/19/2011
Review By: mooredynasty
Pros: Hole 1 is a pretty hole requiring a precise shot lest venture into the woods or lake. 2 is tight with the lake in play again. 3 is a nice dogleg left with a deceptive hole pic at the tee. 9 is a long fairly open hole with weed fields mostly out of play. 10 is a nice little technical hole. 11 is also nice with a reasonable weed swamp to avoid.
Cons: 4 is long and open, boring. 5 is retarded, in a word. 668 feet long with 15-20 foot wide fairways and a massive overgrown weed field that swallowed 3 discs in my foursome. Stupid design or maintenance, I don't know or care which. Yeah I'm still bitter about it. 7 is similar but with a wider fairway and at least a chance to find an errant disc. 8 is another weed field nightmare. Most of the remaining holes aren't too interesting, as others have noted.
Other Thoughts: Bottom line is 4 decent players lost 4 discs on this course and never hit water. Lame. If I do play here again I'll probably just pick the 9 good holes and call it a day.

It would be better if it was a 9 holer.

1    7/4/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: Matthew boals
Pros: The terrain is the best part of the course. Small declines and inclines mature trees and a pond. The "Fairway" grass was cut. Nice mix of distance. Decent mix of drives,on the holes I played. Portable baskets means ALOT of possibilities,rather than just ONE Alt. Pin placement.
Cons: The baskets are portable and some are not level, just before I was going to putt I needed to straighten them. #5,6,7,8 are open with tall & thick grass,with VERY narrow fairways,They are repetitive. The course map under "Links/Files" only shows 13 holes. #2 basket was missing.
Other Thoughts: Read the title......This could be a good 9 hole course. IMO Move #5 basket into the woods,make it a "Tech Hole". #6 could cross the road, into the open with tall grass. What is now #9 could become #7. Finish with #8,9 going toward the parking lot. Each hole needs an Alt. tee, as long as it done correctly. I could not play #10. It was July 4th weekend and a family softball game started when I was playing #4. by the time I realized the flow of the course they had park next to the #10 basket. After looking around, and the realizing the map only shows 13 holes, I walked off the course. The remaining holes just looked wide open,and, well pointless. Kinda there just to say it was an 18 hole course.

1    9/10/2009   7/22/2010
Review By: TimSyl
Pros: Decent terrain and a few good holes at this one. #2 is a good RH anny hole w/ water right and pines left. 10-12 are decent holes in the 320-380' range. 15, 17, and 18 offer some challenges.
Cons: Too many issues to give anything higher. Baskets are portables converted to permanent and have a small "sweet spot". Some of the holes...3, 6, 7, and 14 are poorly designed holes. 6 and 7 have "artificial" OBs creating doglegs and landing areas that are too small. 9 may be the worst hole design I've seen in over 50 courses.
Other Thoughts: Park is nice and the designer had good intentions. Not sure if he wasn't allowed to use much of the woods, or just chose not to. Holes 1, 2, 4, 8, 10-12, 15, 17, and 18 are decent, playable holes. Unfortunately the aforementioned 3, 6, 7, and 14 simply aren't very good holes...9 is horrible. That leaves 5, 13, 14, and 16...they aren't very good either. There aren't any courses very close to this one either and I wouldn't recommend making a trip just for this course.

Fun Course

2-4    6/26/2010   7/4/2010
Review By: discgolfing
Pros: I had a lot of fun playing this course. It has varied terrain. They layout is well thought out. There are restrooms and water fountains at different points on the course. In an attractive county park.
Cons: The tees are marked by white blocks that are level with the ground. So they are hard to find. You need to look at the layout on the last tee block to see where the next tee will be. There is very tall prairie grass lining some fairways so we used a spotter to help on those holes or it would have been difficult to find some discs.
Other Thoughts: There is a simple selection of Innova Discs in the Do-It-Best Hardware store in nearby downtown Topeka.

1    10/3/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: ejvogie
Pros: Course makes great use of available terrain. Elevation changes on many holes. This course does force one to utilize different shots. Pond really only comes into play on one hole, three if you shank drives.
Cons: Wide open. I can think of only 2 holes with something in between tee and basket. As another reviewer mentioned, teepads are hard to find. Even a small flag sticking out of the ground would help, especially since the tees are all natural. Baskets could use a second tier of chains, spitouts and blowthroughs abound.
Other Thoughts: A decent course overall. I'll play again, if only on a calmer, drier, less windy day.