Dalton, GA
Heritage Point DGC Share
Uploaded By: tamahawk Hole #11 (Taken 8/2010)

Not for beginners

5+    6/23/2015   6/24/2015
Review By: RobbieRob14
Pros: -Nice tee pads
-Signs at every tee
-Baskets in great shape
-Boardwalks in some of the wet spots
-Forces you to take interesting lines on some holes
-Good mix of hyzers and anhyzers
-Completely in the shade after the first tee
-Bathroom and water fountain on hole 11
-Rarely busy
-In a section of the park dedicated solely to DG. Not very much foot traffic at all
Cons: -Don't even think about playing this course if it has rained recently
-Could use some more benches. Especially on the 3rd tee. I can only recall the bench on 11
-Needs some longer holes
-Some tee pads have a steep drop off on the front or sides, which can cause some uncomfortable follow-throughs
-"Amateur" tee lengths are listed, but only one tee pad is visible on each hole
-Second baskets could help this course
-Can be unforgiving on bad shots
-Very dangerous walks between holes 1-4 and 18
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course that really grows on you the more you play it. Not for beginners at all! I played it a couple years ago right after I started playing, and HATED it!
In order to play it successfully, you need to have a good BH and FH.
14 is a very challenging hole that I still have yet to figure out. To get a birdie on it, you need some luck.
18 is definitely a signature hole. It's also the only hole on the course that needs a distance driver.
Overall, I think it's a good course that could use some more distance. Definitely worth the drive if traveling up or down 75. It is less than 10 minutes off the interstate

Glad I came

1    1/4/2015   1/4/2015
Review By: AUfantastic
Pros: Love the course. Love the woods and the elevation changes. Fairways tight but mostly reasonable. This really would be a great course to play again. I will be back. Also, there are no long holes on this course and all of the holes are par 3. But that does not reduce the fun and challenge of playing it.
Cons: The course almost prohibits birdies on some holes because there is no line to allow any caliber of player to reach the basket for even a long putt. Removal of just a few select trees would cure that problem in my opinion.
Other Thoughts: This course stands in water for several holes on the 1st nine after a big rain. Not much can be done about it but BOOTS are a necessity and your feet will likely still be wet. Nice selection of different shots is required to do well. Not a course for guys who want to throw the big and long shots. Very technical and skilled selection of shots is needed.

Like it, but would rather play at others.

2-4    7/16/2012   7/19/2012
Review By: .DLB.
Pros: •Nice Chainstar Baskets
•Not every hole has the same line from the tee (some do, but there are various different layouts)
•Never crowded
•Shaded
•Nice tee signs
•Great length and level teepads
•A full 18 hole course
Cons: •Terrain can be a bit much
•Only a few places to throw a solid drive (even with your mid-ranges)
•No good resting places, which would be nice considering the varied elevation changes
•Wouldn't consider it kid nor beginner friendly
Other Thoughts: Rather than list everything in the Pro/Con section, I would rather describe it here so as not to sound unfair to the course or those interested in playing it.

1. Not able to "go for it" enough
I actually enjoyed this course MORE before I was at the playing level I am now (which is pretty much a steady par player that hits a good round here and there. I don't expect to shoot -10 every round). I think the reason being is because I knew I couldn't throw it decent then, so I would just take a good shot into the fairway, then make an up shot to the basket, and then hit the putt for par (on the holes I was able to do that good). So that leads me to one of my biggest dislikes about this course - there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for a great round. Once you establish your average on this course, that's as good as it would get in my opinion.

2. The course is degrading in my opinion
The course was better 1 year ago than it was this time. I personally don't mind the elevation that much, but there are a few spots now (since it has been worn in) that it is just dangerous. Namely exiting hole 3 to number 4. I actually had a friend fall and roll a bit there once. There are people that I play with that wouldn't enjoy this at all because those few spots where the terrain is testy (Holes #2, #3, #18 mainly) wouldn't be enjoyable trying to navigate, much less throw. I also wouldn't bring my 4 year old daughter with me, because it would be tough to carry her on those holes, and I don't know if she could make it otherwise. She enjoys playing with me and I love for her to tag along, but couldn't do that here, bummer.

3. The flow of the course is "off"
I don't think that the course really has a natural flow to it. Hole 1 you have a great into the fairway shot, and a possibility to hit a good birdie line. Then you take a stroll down a steep bank to Hole 2 where you throw on a fairway that turns steep halfway to the basket. On Hole 3 you can go for it (and likely end up with a horrible lie at the foot of the hill), or lay up. Either way you end on a steep downhill where a miss is probably going to cost 2 throws. 4 is in a pine grove that sits in a bottom, and 5 is your first chance at a great drive with a birdie opp. 6 and 7 are short little hyzer holes then 8 opens back up into a great birdie drive hole. 9 is short between lots of smaller trees with a somewhat intimidating, but very manageable mando 20 feet from the tee. Slow decent length anny hole for 10...etc. I feel like it is hard to get in a rhythm here, but maybe it's just my playing ability.

Conclusion
I had been anxious to get back to this course after not being for nearly a year. However, I don't think I will try to go back for another year probably. I hate to pick on a local course, especially since I know people that helped it get in and build it. However, I feel like it still leaves plenty to be desired, and could be brought up to a better standard. I am not a pro though, and I don't claim to know how to build the best course, so maybe I am just wrong there. This is a review of my opinion of the course though.

Average, but trashy and swampy

1    12/30/2011   1/21/2012
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: The park itself at Heritage Point is large and really nice, off a main highway and very easy to get to off I-75 between Atlanta and Chattanooga. The 18 hole course here is relatively new and is of the wooded technical variety. There is a good mix of holes with elevation and those that are flat. A small river is a secondary hazard beyond the rough on a couple of holes towards the end of the back 9.

Navigation was easy and there was a great color course map by hole #1. The nice restrooms and water fountain between holes 11 and 12 are nice since the course does not come back to your car until after 18, and almost seemed to be built solely for disc golf since they were not near any other park activities. The concrete tees are some of the best I have seen, including the wedge-shaped ones on slopes where they used very thick concrete to get them level (instead of the usual dirt that often eventually erodes.) The course map, tee signs, and baskets are as good as you could expect. It is evident there is lots of work being done here to improve this course by the parks department, boy scouts, and local disc golfers, and I appreciate their efforts.
Cons: The park is nice, but unfortunately the course is not so nice. Part of this is the new course look, but the land it is on is swampy and littered with trash, and honestly looked like a wasteland in parts. The front was extremely unappealing to look at. Many of the fairways were muddy with standing water- many bridges and boardwalks had been built or were being built, which were nice, but to me is a sign that this course is usually swampy.

The tee signs showed 2 tees per hole, but there was only 1. (Maybe the second set is still to come, but I did not even see where they might be put in.) The holes started to become repetitive throughout the round with most in that 200' range, and all you really need off most tees is a straight shot. This course just doesn't demand a wide variety of skills and shots. There were also a couple of basket placements that seemed like they were not in the best possible location. (for example #3, the basket is over the edge of the cliff on the downslope, rather than on the edge, which to me eliminates the skillful and strategic risk/reward option, and instead makes everyone either play it safe or get lucky.)

A sign near tee #1 said to place found discs of others in the lost disc receptacle. What a great idea! However, the only receptacle I saw was a trashcan, so I hope people don't throw other's discs away.
Other Thoughts: This could be a fun short technical woods course if it were dry, but it seems chances are it won't be as most of the previous reviews have mentioned the standing water as well. To me, though, many of the holes were kind of boring and repetitive. The other reviews were pretty favorable and the pictures look great, but not in real life in December.

On DGCR a 2.5 is average, and the day I played here this course was just a notch below what I would expect for average. It seems most of the pros here are the amenities while most of the cons are the course itself. My recommendation is if you must play a round while in the area it will suffice, be sure it has not rained recently.

up, down and wet

2-4    12/28/2011   12/30/2011
Review By: kurt
Pros: tee signs
concrete pads
boardwalks in wet areas
bathroom and water at turn
quiet
Cons: Holes 4 through 7 bring your galoshes.
Two pads per hole but could only find 1 concrete pad per hole and assumed it was the "pro" tee.
Other Thoughts: Roc, aviar course.
Plenty of room to lengthen some of the holes.
Most holes have unique roll away opportunities.
You can easily play hole 15 to pin 12 to give some additional length.

Love this course.

- Concrete tee pads
- Double chains
- Bathroom and water fountain at hole 10
- Easy to navigate
- Well maintained by Dalton Parks and Rec.
- NEVER crowded
- Holes 2 and 18, love em!
Cons: - Hole 3 needs a backstop, my disc stands up and rolls every time because of how steep it is.
- Forget about playing after a rain storm, low lying holes will be soggy.
Other Thoughts: If you've played here more than once, I'm sure you know exactly what this means: "You got dogs??? Mine are friendly!!!"

A great course! Perfect for those hot summer days when you still want to play. Shaded canopy, next to a creek. A sweet gem of a course right in Dalton! I have never run into a crowd, ever. We always have the course to ourselves.

Liked it, didn't love it.

1    6/14/2011   6/21/2011
Review By: Solid Gold
Pros: -Shade. Every hole. Good for midday summer play.
-Bathrooms at hole 10. Very nice.
-All the standard things are there: Teepads, signage, ample parking, varying holes. Basically, the designers knew what they were doing.
-Hole 2 and 18 sure do create some interesting second shots!
-Hole 14 was Tough! On my first run I drove it 5 or 6 times trying to figure out what line would actually work on that hole, never could figure how to get it in two.
-Rough was manageable. While I did lose my discs a few times out there, i was able to find them in less than five without getting bitten or stung or thorned or rashed or fatally stabbed.
Cons: Personal Issue:

-What do you do on hole 16? It's short, but there's a bunch of trees totally blocking access to the hole. The only thing to do is go for the very small pocket on the right and long putt for two?

-I would love to see some things extended back a bit and create 2-3 400 footers out there. The best courses should have something more than par 3 every hole. This is something that would be awesome to see added if there is time in the future...

Three sign fixes that would help things:

-Add to holes one and three on the signpost: "Warning, sharp drop off at back of hole!" I found a lost, unmarked putter from someone who had overshot and given up on finding their disc on hole one. This was while I was looking for my disc which I had overthrown greatly due to not knowing about the dropoff.

-A big glaring sign on the side of the bathroom reminding people to watch out for people coming out of said bathroom!

-Love love love the "next tee" wrapped around each basket, but I would love love love if all the next tee arrows pointed right at where the tee is located, not at the path leading to that tee. I could always figure out how to get through the woods on the paths, but I could not always figure out immediately which path to take to go down!
Other Thoughts: I wouldn't say it's a beautiful location, but it is a good standard woods course. I went on a dry summer day, so I didn't see any of the water hazarding others are talking about. Can definitely get better. Definitely

Short and Technical

2-4    6/8/2011   6/9/2011
Review By: wabrown23
This review was updated on 10/19/2011
Pros: -Layout and Use of space is great
-Course is easily Navigational
-Signs are great quality and list distance
-Permanent tees
-Restrooms and Water fountain Mid course
-Clear trails and regular course maintenance
- Plenty of parking
Cons: -No benches or trash cans
-Short course (but technically challenging)
- No warm up basket
Other Thoughts: Great course, lots of hills and trees. Great design.

challenge but fun!

1    5/7/2011   5/7/2011
Review By: bama9125
Pros: excellent in term of decision on type of threw. enjoy the natural and saw rabbit, squirrel and more. its more of mentality game!
Cons: if you are into hiking and enjoy disc golf then its for you! its hard to go up hilly at some holes especially at 18th hole. you need to be in pretty good shape to handle the hilly part. NOT RECOMMENDED when raining because it will be VERY slippery.
Other Thoughts: its good between start cool fall season thru to end of spring or end of april. because it wont be any fun to play in hot weather when u have to go uphill!!

You've got a short woody!

1    1/30/2011   1/31/2011
Review By: ShopTom.com
Pros: Short distances allow a wider range of players the opportunity to shoot near par while still requiring several different shot types to score well. Mostly clean and well maintained on the fairways. Excellent signs with all of the necessary information are much appreciated. Level concrete tees are just the right size. A real bathroom is along the course. Good exercise up and down the hills is a pro because footing has been added where needed.
Cons: Look out for the thorns in the heavy rough just off the fairway. Serious navigation issues that could be avoided with a few simple signs and I never like backtracking down the fairway just played. Be careful of people coming out of that bathroom 20 feet directly in front of the tee too! Amateur tees are only flags and don't seem to be necessary for even a recreational player. This place will have unplayable holes after only a moderate rain.
Other Thoughts: My next time through this course will be much better because I will know where the blind baskets are and have a better idea of which way to walk after I get there.

A little bit of local effort to clear out the thorns where players are obviously going off course would add another half star immediately. Put up some next tee signs on a tree here and there and get the other half too. It has that much potential.

I expect to be back to enjoy this course soon with my group. We just have to plan around the weather and allow extra time to play through.