Danielsville, PA
Blue Mountain - Skyline Park Share
Uploaded By: discchix Hole #11 (Taken 6/2012)

Touch the Sky...Then throw your discs down

1    10/10/2015   10/17/2015
Review By: adlacro
Pros: Let me get this out of the way first... as an 800 rated player, thank God I played doubles. This is a majestic 18 hole course that will test your ability to be in control of your disc as you descend the mountain. The lift goes up where you belong, then work your way down. The longer holes are quite open, allowing you a wide fairway, but be warned-you miss the fairway, your disc is probably gone. Each hole offers options, from two concrete tee pads with ample run-up room, to two dis catcher baskets placed with the idea of making you think about every shot you'll throw. After some downhill holes, you'll have some shorter, tighter holes along the way (4 comes to mind). Most holes will offer you a bench or open area to sit down-trust me, you'll want a breather now and then. Lots of fast greens, lots of opportunities to be challenged by the terrain. I found myself being tentative more often than not. Lots of par 4's and some 5's, adding length. Even the short layout still averages out to about 375 feet per hole. Smart golf is an absolute requirement. Bring plenty of water, one of the lightweight chairs, and a full bag of discs you don't mind losing, and go challenge yourself. Grab one of those hiking poles when you check-in, even if you're in tiptop shape. You'll be glad you did. Not every hole is downhill, though, and not every hole is 800 feet either. Signature hole is 7, the par 5 that finishes on an elevated slope to the right. I threw a few overhands and played smart and we still made birdie. Of course there are other standout holes too.
Cons: You're not going to want to be by yourself playing here. With all the rocky terrain plus it being easy to miss the fairway and go 600 feet off the mountain, bring some friends. We played triples and still spent a long time looking for discs, plus figuring out whose drive to take. Be prepared for 3 hours or more each round-plan accordingly.

Not for everyone. Again I mentioned I'm an 800 rated player. By myself I would have probably lost my whole bag. Just throw discs you know aren't afraid to lose, and you may enjoy yourself a little bit. The areas off the fairway are very unforgiving. Play smart, even if it means taking a higher number than you want. Mountain bikers are coming down as well, and their paths will often be near you. Be wary of them, and let them through when it is doable.
Other Thoughts: The only regret I have is that I wish I got to play the valley course while I was here as well-time didn't allow for it, as it took our group over 4 hours to play. Book a lot of time, a lot of patience, and go check out this Dan Doyle and Steve Brinster created madness that is the Blue Mountain skyline course. With awesome views, the ability to mix and match tees and pins, and even an ace run or two (surprisingly), the skyline course is one to take your breath away-in more ways than one.

So Scenic Skyline

1    5/24/2015   5/26/2015
Review By: sidewinder22
This review was updated on 5/27/2015
Pros: Dual concrete tees or dual DisCatcher baskets on every hole. The over 1000' of elevation changes were designed well into the course providing more variety than I thought would there. Lots of downhill bombs and uphill and across slopes and valleys. Fast greens galore. I recall 3 benches with cold water that were much appreciated. The lift ride up the mountain was spectacular and the views playing down are just as grandiose. I did have Verizon 4G service on the course. Restrooms and shop at the bottom of the mountain. Two other courses and restaurant on site and $5 gets you access to all courses and the lift for the day.
Cons: Treacherous terrain to traverse - pro tip when walking down steep slopes, zig zag down them, don't go straight down them, and also grass is better than rocks. Even though the tees are concrete, most are plum with the grade of the elevation(not bubble level) and in some cases quite steep. I rolled my ankle pretty good on hole 3, a rock I stepped on slid down the slope with my foot on it, I thought it was broke at first, but I hobbled down the rest of the course with a bit of hesitation after that. Every basket is on a super fast green and roll a ways and skips can be relentlessly stupid. The elevation is so steep in places that I nearly left my disc in plain view, I just didn't feel like climbing more elevation. I imagine there's lots of lost plastic in the woods, I amazingly didn't lose any of my discs although I kept them mostly in the fairway even when throwing them 666'+.

The course is almost entirely in the open/exposed to sun and heat which can make it feel like hell combined with the amount of hiking elevation. I found myself stopping mid fairways to take a break from the constant downhill hike burning my quads and to get some shade. My sea-legs weren't meant for this mountain goat terrain. The rough off the edges of the fairways can be gnarly. More benches and water would be nice. Crazy mountain bikers and hikers intermittently run through parts of the course. The course was a little tricky to navigate after hole 9, and more/better signage would be a big help even with the map.
Other Thoughts: Overall I have mixed feelings about this course, it started out with a big bang and then kind of fizzled and turned into me just wanting to survive. It's either ironic or sadistic that the short layout is 6, 666 feet long. Some of this extreme style of golf borders on the line of just because you can, doesn't mean you should. The highlights for me were the lift ride up the mountain, and then Holes 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 14. I was surprised I didn't enjoy the course as much as I thought I would considering how Warwick which is done by the same designers is one of my all time favorites. I think the ski terrain is just too extreme and not conducive to actual golf holes, yeah it provides some of the best scenery and epic shots you can imagine, but from a scoring/playing golf strategy standpoint I was disappointed. Hole 18 was a head scratcher for me, there's only a tiny gap between the line of trees, or are you supposed to throw over the trees? - I have a pro level arm, but Steve Brinster arm I'm not, maybe the trees have grown a bit since the course's inception? I'm glad I got to play this course once, but seriously doubt I'll play it again though. The $5 is worth it just for the lift alone, if I went back I'd just take a ride around on the lift a couple times and play the valley course and have some brews and play the Slopeside in the evening. So with that said, I'd recommend this course as bucket list type course.

Pain in the legs! but fun.

2-4    9/8/2012   7/8/2013
Review By: DAMAGER
Pros: Fun course, Fast long flights, Great views, Good pin positions, Easy to navigate, bench's at a lot of holes, Nice grassy fairways. Fun letting them discs rip and watching them fly forever.
Cons: Easy to lose a disc if you throw a bad one, disc can glide for ever over tree tops. my friend lost 4 discs in one day. Course is very tiring even though it is mostly down hill. Puts a hurting on the legs, Can get windy.
Other Thoughts: I suggest using over stable discs mostly and try throw with the terrain. Bring multiple cellphones some cells don't work up there, because you need to call the office for pick up.

Mountain Golf

1    8/18/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: Disc Fiend
Pros: This course is an experience I will not forget anytime soon. I have never played a course like this before, and it blew my mind. During the ride up the mountain I got the feeling I was about to play something special, and it definitely was! Mike was a great host, and gave us a few tips and info on the course on the way up. He also gave us hiking poles, which I ended up using the entire round. The holes are designed well and each hole is unique. There are 18 holes with multiple cement tees and/or baskets on each hole. What almost every hole has in common though is the elevation change. I have never played a course with that much downhill elevation change, and boy was it fun! it is a beautiful thing to watch a disc fly 600 ft. down a mountain, it feels like the disc is flying in the air for minutes at a time.
Cons: The only cons I could think of was on holes 14 and 16. They need to put stairs or a rope or something to make it so people can safely get down to the basket. It was very steep and dangerous, a lot more then all the other holes. I also didn't like that they closed at 6. I wish they would stay open until dark.
Other Thoughts: $5 gets you an all day pass to the three courses on the property and rides up the mountain and back to the lodge. With the 3 courses, a bar and grill and a pro shop it feels like your at a disc golf country club. The views from the mountain are breathtaking, this is an awesome place to play disc golf. definitely play here if you can get the chance to.

2-4    8/1/2012   8/16/2012
Review By: GMarlin13
Pros: They take you on an ATV to the top of the moutain and pick you up when your finished. It is a beautiful course with fantastic views. All the holes are easily navigated and have multiple tees and baskets.
Cons: Physically demanding
Other Thoughts: This course is a must for any Disc Golfer. The fee is 5 dollars for an all day pass on all 3 courses. The ATV ride alone is worth the money. Don't miss out on this beautiful course because you are cheap. The guy who runs it is awesome and the place is well maintained.

1    7/29/2012   8/1/2012
Review By: rwblack
Pros: After playing over 5,000+ rounds of disc golf in my life, the round on the Blue Mountain Skyline Disc Golf Course really may stand out the most.

Beautiful setting in the Pocono Mountains. There was a Blues Festival going on the day I was there. They had the course closed except to people who had paid for the festival. Luckily the guy I talked to in the pro shop graciously gave me his own free festival pass so I could play the course. The lift was open that day which made for an incredibly enjoyable ride up the mountain (and joy ride after).

The course was everything I could have wanted from a mountain course. Really tested my abilities. I did not have too hard of a time finding discs ever. The rough was very manageable. Water coolers were a HUGE plus.

This course is a MUST PLAY if you live in the northeast or are passing through. Bucket list type of course. Oh yea and did I mention there was live blues playing the entire round for me...EPIC

Cons: The course is an extreme hike and is only for those that good physical health and are up to the challenge. Otherwise, it may affect the amount of fun you have playing the course.
Other Thoughts: Bring lots of water, snacks, and good hiking shoes for the decent.

Not For Weekend Warriors

1    5/27/2012   5/27/2012
Review By: RamsFan1
Pros: 18 hole grueling and challenging course which starts at the top of Blue Mountain Ski Resort in the Poconos. Oversized concrete tee pads and benches at every hole. Each hole has either two tee pads and a single basket or single tee pads with a short (white) and long (blue) basket. Colored, laminated signs at each hole give you distance and preferred flight path. Tremendous elevation changes and good distance variety. Though mostly open, a few technical holes are thrown in for good measure, with holes 5, 8, 9, 13, and 14 particularly memorable. Picturesque views of Danielsville from the top of the mountain. Friendly staff accomodating to disc golfers. As this is a ski resort, amenities like bathrooms, vending machines and restaurants are on the premises.
Cons: Disc loss- even on what you think are good drives- a very distinct possibility. Treacherous hiking over rocky surfaces involved throughout the course. High grass present on many fairways. Permanent signage and bag poles unavailable because of the type of course it is. "Next tee" arrows would assist with navigation. Pay to play and limited ski lift availability/playing time will turn away some players.
Other Thoughts: With three courses- Skyline, Valley and the 9-hole Slope Side available to players, Blue Mountain provides an excellent disc golfing experience. Not for the faint of heart, The Blue Mountain Skyline course is intimidating to say the least and presents a tremendous challenge to even seasoned pros, much less the recreational/intermediate player. The frustration factor here is extremely high without a sensible, pinpoint approach to drives off the tee, and heat, wind, bugs and other variables all come into play throughout your round. Staff is available to give you a ride to the top in the absence of a working ski lift. Though many reviewers speak of the course being well groomed, I found the grass ridiculously high when I played and was a bit disappointed. Hydration, good footwear and being in shape are all critical elements of playing here. Overall, a good, if humbling experience.

awesome experience

1    9/1/2011   9/6/2011
Review By: flyerzphan923
Pros: Great course, great grounds manager, all around great time.
Alt. tee's and/or baskets
great variety of up and down hill drives
great variations of hole lengths
the course is impeccably kept
tees and baskets are still in perfect condition
Cons: It is open everyday but mon-wed you would need to hike to the top of the mountain to play.
not for beginners, the course is skill demanding and a beginner would lose alot of plastic
Other Thoughts: this course is a must play
eventhough it costs 5 dollars a day, you get a ride to the top and fresh water every few holes
o and you can play as many times as you want for that day, on all courses
the grounds keeper Mike is awesome, he is there to make your experience awesome and does his job well
you will leave feeling like it was the best $5 you've ever spent!

Memorable Course

1    7/24/2011   8/1/2011
Review By: Aupps
Pros: -Nice cement tee pads
-great baskets
-Each hole has either 2 tees or 2 baskets, so the course actually plays 36 holes if you want
-Benches at most holes
-Water stations/Portajohns throughout the course
-The $5 green fees gets you a ride up the mountain on the course manager's gator, and he also picks you up in the valley at the end!
-Some great changes in elevation. Let them rip and watch the go for days
-Gives you a great workout
-great signage and flow to the course
Cons: -Easy to lose discs. Use spotters, video, whatever you need to keep an eye on the disc.
-If you aren't at all in shape seriously reconsider playing this course.
-The terrain is very hard on your discs
Not to many other cons
Other Thoughts: Wind is a big factor on the course. Keep your discs below the trees or else bye bye disc. Plan on spending the entire day at Blue Mountain, with 3 courses on site it's worth it.

Paly this course

1    7/16/2011   7/18/2011
Review By: DonG
Pros: There is no other course of the 130+ I've played that compares to Skyline. The monster requisite drives and the dizzying looks from the tee will coerce your A game out.

-Elevevation change on every hole.
-Mostly open, but some punishing woods on errant throws.
-Mix of left/right/straight shots.
-Easy navigation to tees/pins/next hole.
-Phenomenal design and layout.
-Impeccably maintained.
-Newer baskets and concrete tees.
-Incredible veiws.
-Great guy running the disc golf courses.
Cons: -Even with a spotter, you'll need at least 20 mins total per player to find discs.
-Tough terrain, not for the easily winded.
-You don't play over the drink, but maybe that will change if they put in a water park.
-18 is a bit of a let down.
Other Thoughts: A must play for serious frolfers; well worth the $5. There are is no more mountain biking at Blue, so no need to worry. Drinking water and benches at some tees. The lifts aren't running, so you get a ride to/from the course with Mike (bring a phone). Don't go in the drop-offs (pines) on 3, 7, 8, and 9. WATCH YOUR DISCS!!!