Pinellas Park, FL
Youth Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #6 (Taken 9/2009)

Solid, Easy to Moderate Level Course

1    3/18/2014   3/19/2014
Review By: blueblur
Pros: Great tee pads and signs. I think there was an alternate pin location on every hole. A pond and a ditch act as water hazards on the course. Great scenery and this area of the park seems set aside for disc golf, so other than 1 dog walker, we had no obstacles.
Cons: Fairways are a bit close together. Playing it for the first time, we sometimes had difficulty figuring out which basket we were supposed to throw at because we could see multiple baskets that were approximately the right direction and distance from the pad. Once we threw at the wrong basket. We let another group play through, but they had to keep waiting on us because we were often in their fairway as we threw on our fairway. Would be a rough place to hold a tournament with shotgun start for safety reasons. Several of the holes are open shots with almost no obstacles. Several of the holes are poke and pray shots through extremely narrow fairways because of close together trees.
Other Thoughts: Fun course of moderate length. I had a first timer with me and he got a 3 on a few of the holes. Other than the water holes, a great beginner course with some challenge for experienced players.

Not Quite Taylor, But Close

1    6/14/2013   6/14/2013
Review By: thrembo
Pros: A nice little lake starts you out, then off to the trees! And there are plenty of trees to negotiate. So there are plenty of different lines to try out.

Decent tee signs and some long concrete tees make for good driving, and multiple pin placements add some extra looks.

Very friendly locals.
Cons: The course quickly becomes repetitive, with holes falling into the 270' range with similar looks. I would have made a couple holes 200' and a couple 400', to mix it up a little.

The fairways are a little close together. Keep an eye out for other nearby groups discs.
Other Thoughts: That said, you can still have a lot of fun throwing a round here with your buddies. But, if down here on vacation, you may want to play some of the more popular local courses before this one.

A Nice treat

1    12/15/2012   12/15/2012
Review By: davmer2303
Pros: Youth park is an easy to find course in a nice neighborhood near the interstate. There are many other park activities, but the disc golf course is separated from the other activities. There is a nice detailed scorecard and course map in a mailbox by tee one which was nice. The course itself had a pretty decent variety of open shots on the front line and tighter lines to hit on the back. There is a pond, but its not too hard too avoid. I played in a drier time of year, but The grass near the pond appears very spongy. The course flow is easy, and there is just enough challenge to have good anticipation from hole to hole. And, even though the back nine has trees, recovery is generally possible.
Cons: The distances are pretty repetitive. Hole 18 is over 325, and there is one other hole on the front at 300, but most of the rest are 235 to 260. Also, a lot of the holes are (despite trees) very straight. I threw a beat up dx roc on more holes than I have in forever. I found myself working on a bit more of a natural fade on the front while working more gentle anhyzers (gentle) on the back. When I played, it wasn't crowded, but I can see how this could be an issue. 18 holes are on not a huge piece of land.
Other Thoughts: This was a very fun course. The lake and available trees are used well, and there can be some real satisfaction in hitting some tight lines on the back nine. There was a ton of swirling wind on the front, and the openness of the front made putting tough. the back is more tree covered. Overall, this is a nice course for newer players, but even more advanced players could enjoy a round here.

A nice laid back course that is fun to play

2-4    1/26/2013   10/21/2012
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 1/26/2013
Pros: -Great signage, Very nice signs with: Fairway map; Alt pin locations; and distance. Pin positions aren't specified, but the baskets are easily spotted from the tee.
-The Tee's are concrete.
-Very nice Scorecard/Maps at #1
-Very easy navigation, pretty straight forward
-Distance shots play from 225 to 300ft. The longest being 327ft.
-Great place to take a beginner, also perfect for the casual player, but experienced players could enjoy themselves. It may not "Wow" the experienced player, but a good time can be had here.
-Allows for a quick 18. (Took me just over an hour by myself)
-Plays around a pond, but a beginner could work a low risk line to the baskets.
-Easy to access from 275 and not very far off the interstate.
-Plays in a field that is separated from other activities. *Still not immune from people that want to be in the field part of the park.
-This'll be relative to availability, but I noticed soccer fields are in the park.

FWIW
-Baseball fields, Soccer Fields, and a Basket Ball court are available in this park.
Cons: -Pretty repetitive straight forward shots.
-The grass around the pond is full of water. I stepped on what I thought would be grass, and ended up in water up to my knees.
-Course is subject to park goers. I had to work around two guys that were racing an RC car around the 18 basket. They should post some "Watch out for discs" signs.
-The park itself could get busy on weekends due to the amount of activities going on here.
-Due to the openness of this course, wind is a major factor here. The gusts will wreak havoc on your drives, and in extreme cases even your putting.
Other Thoughts: Youth Park is a nice course, and I had fun playing here.. The fairways are straight forward shots, with some varying lines you can work around the trees. I would say that the course itself is pretty Vanilla, but it can be what you make it. It does play around a pond, with a pro tee being a water carry. The other water shots are a thrown around the pond. It has average distance drives, and the fairways are open. If you were to come out with some casual friends, or to play in a small event out here, you could have a good time.

Youth Park is in good company, with the other Clearwater courses. Youth Park lends itself to being a more laid back and casual Disc Golf environment. If you are traveling through and looking for a quick round or adding a notch in your played belt, Youth Park can meet your need. It's right off the interstate and it's in a nice neighborhood. It took me just over an hour to play 18 holes here by myself.

The fairways around the pond can get sloppy wet, but other than that casual attire will be fine. There are gas stations on Park BLVD, but after that you are in a residential. It is an open field, so bring some liquids when you come.

Fun to play, good times

+ Good upkeep
Cons: - Short
- Quite open
- Sometimes a little overcrowded
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing this course for short game practice with a few longer hyzers and minor technical shots to make it interesting. Water is the only real hazard here and plays on 2-3 holes. Very fun to play and great to show a newer player the game on

Sharpen up here...

5+    7/8/2012   7/12/2012
Review By: nitron2097
Pros: Fun little practice course for me. I find that even though this course is not very technical, there are enough hazards here to help me work on my game whenever I come out for a round.

One thing I do here is throw shorter discs a lot. I've stretched my 180g KC Roc out to about 250' out here, and it's getting longer. I don't have a lot of power, so this is pretty good for me.

The trees are enough of an issue to force you to play lines, but they don't make it impossible.

The little lake is in play on #2 and #7, and is more avoidable on #7 than #2.

If you want a quick round, this course will give it to you. Each tee is close to the previous basket and it's not hard to figure out the configuration.

Scorecards in the little mailbox near #1. A nice touch.

The signs here are very good and the distances are very accurate.

All the pads are in great shape, and they recently elevated the tee for #3 so it doesn't get submerged anymore. Drainage is much better now, too. Tropical Storm Debby dropped two feet of rain on Pinellas Park, and the course was playable less than three days later.
Cons: This isn't much more than a mid-range type course. It's really easy to overshoot baskets here by fifty feet plus if you can bomb.

The greens are close to each other, and when the park is crowded, this really slows you down.

On nights when there is a lot of softball or soccer going on, the parking situation is a nightmare. One thing I'd like is for the park to post when there will be major sports events going on so I know not to try and throw that day.

Restrooms are located by the basketball court behind the baseball field next to the practice basket, but these aren't always open. Only other can on site is a Honey Bucket.

A few alternate pin positions, but I'd like more. It's the only way to give this course more variety.
Other Thoughts: Wind... no, seriously. I don't know why, but even on a calm day, it's like a hurricane is blowing through here. If it's breezy where you live, there's a tornado going through Youth Park. Last winter, there were days when I couldn't throw anything but my KC Firebird.

Not a lot of shade, so make sure you've got sunscreen and water.

Most of the locals are pretty friendly and welcoming. The Walgreens just down 70th Avenue has discs, but not a great selection. Worth checking out though if you need to stop and get water.

During the winter, they do glow golf here. That can be pretty fun.

Most holes out here are ace chances, especially #3 and #9. These baskets are in the open.

Careful with the lake... I've seen snakes in there, and they did catch a baby gator in there too (they put a picture on the bulletin board).

Hole notes:

#2 - Tight line. Careful going out over the fence and back in, though. There are no trespassing signs up now, and there are cameras on those warehouses.

#5 - Nice helix line on this hole. I've hit this basket twice with my KC Wraith... it didn't hold it either time!

#7 - Lake hole. The main pin position doesn't give you any room for error.

#14 - Toughest fairway out here. The middle is narrow and you don't have good lines far left or far right.

#17 - Another kind of poke 'n hope hole, but I find a righty anny works well out to the left.

#18 - If Youth Park has a 'signature' hole, this is it. It's the longest hole on the course and the fairway is narrow before it opens up. The ditch down the right fills up with rain and there's always some water in there.

I wouldn't drive forever to play here (like I would to go to Ed Medard), but if you're in the Pinellas Park area, it doesn't take long to play and it's close to US 19, so it's worth the stop.

youth park

5+    11/10/2011   1/8/2012
Review By: tedy4444
Pros: fun course to go out and boost your ego. any skill set player can enjoy themselves here. can finish in about an hour
Cons: 2 water hazard holes can get the better of most players. for some reason, even on a day with no wind, it always seems to be windy at this park. it is kind os odd.

Good for working on shots

1    2/18/2011   2/21/2011
Review By: IGotDisc
This review was updated on 2/23/2011
Pros: Easy to navigate. Fun little course to work on shots. Locals are nice. Tight narrow fairways with trees in the way make you evaluate your shot. Don't be fooled because the holes are short, you need to think before you throw. Excellent for people learning the game. Aceable holes.
Cons: I felt the holes were close to each other. I would be leery of players shanking one and hitting someone with a disc. I almost did and my disc landed 10 feet from the basket. Every hole was straight except hole one.
Other Thoughts: Fun and quick course if your looking to breeze through. I plan on returning with some friends who haven't aced before to get on the board. Wahoo finally came in handy for my buddy who through one right in the drink.

Youth park is a bad name, more like adolescent park would be better.

1    1/2/2010   1/3/2010
Pros: 1) Massively long concrete tees. They are smooth, but for some reason they are a good surface. Not very wide however and I would much rather have wider tees than longer tees. Also since the course is nearly flat completely, their likely won't be erosion around the teepads.

2) Nice Baskets and all are in good shape.

3) Nice practice area as designated by the scorecard, including an area fr wider open throws too, sure it may only be 200' long but sometimes a nice warmup on a specific shot is nice.

4) Awesome design and layout of the course. They used the water (but fairly too) on a few holes which is essential with it being there. They also used the southern part of the park very effectively shooting back and forth and in and out of the wooded area on the course. This was awesome and obviously by design because you had trees and such to force your hand.

5) ALternate baskets on 1, 2, 7, 14 would really step those holes up in difficulty, so I like that

6) Scorecards and maps provided at the first tee which is a bonus especially for a newer course where new people will need navigation help and such.

7) Tee sins are very nice and #'d on the back of the sign so you can see which tee it is if you approach from behind. This will help cause traffic issues when busy!

8) Plenty of parking by the building, or apparently it is ok to park out by the course. Also multiple signs are visible along the main road pointing to the course and a sign also saying "Disc golf course" at the building in the parking lot.

9) Course is 100% isolated from other activities and that is an awesome design characteristic. It makes you feel like you are the only thing going on in the park that day.

10) Very well placed baskets incorporating the trees to make you shape your shot. This is key to this course being what it is. With less trees or less thought in design, this course could have very well been horrible and boring,
Cons: 1) Course is an a flat square lot so it can be wet and muddy at times. We played 2 days after a major ran came through and it was wet, but not unnavigable, just a few puddles to avoid but this is the dry season in FL so I can only imagine what the course would look like them. A couple of old school bridges with some blocks and a couple planks would be a nice bonus, drainage would be difficult too because the course is very very flat.

2) Turf is only adequate right now. You can still see the seed rows and in a year or so this won't be an issue when the bermuda spreads and covers all the ground. Until then the course will remain wet longer and be slippery in the thinner turf areas.

3) Forward tees only in a couple spots. I guess there are enough holes out there that playing from the back tee might be oo much especially as a beginner. It was almost that the thought the forward tee was only needed near the water.

4) Course challenge is not ever present there are a couple holes where the disc is simply straight out and easy to reach.

5) For a park called Youth Park I think it might be a little too challenging for the youth. That is why I think it should be called adolescent park, because they might be able to handle the distance. Forward tees would eliminate my feeling in this circumstance.

6) Completely flat . . . I know it is Florida, but there are almost no changes in ground. No hollows or slight rises, just plain flat.

Other Thoughts: I had a good timd despite this course being so much less than Tocobaga. It was fun to play and a lot less challenging but it has a lot of redeeming values in my opinion. This is a great park for the aveage disc golfer . . . challenging enough to be fun, but not frustrating to play. Forward tees would make this course more suited to Youth and I would upgrade the overall courses slightly because of this change.

Small But Mighty

1    9/26/2009   9/26/2009
Review By: Ron_Geracci
Pros: Very well designed course with the small amount of land given. Every hole has a new challenge to it and very fun to play. I think this is a very good course for anyone wanting to have a good time and/or learning DG. The course is also very well maintained the cut the grass weekly (if weather permits). The signage was very easy to read and understand and very appealing and the teepads were the perfect size. Plus, the lake there is well monitored for any gators or moccasins and you allowed to go for a swim and fish for some discs.
Cons: Because of rainy season, the majority of the time I was tromping through a swamp. ALOT of ants here, so be careful, the little buggers are all over the place so wear shoes with socks.
Other Thoughts: As a person who has only been playing DG for a couple days now, this will be a course I hit up alot when the rainy season is gone and passed, it's a short course and a good place to practice, could fit 36 holes in about 3, 4 hours top, easily.