Pinellas Park, FL
Youth Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #4 (Taken 9/2009)

1 2 3 Next >
  Closest to my house so what can I say...I love it

1    4/10/2010   4/10/2010
Review By: Jake Respondek
This review was updated on 4/19/2010
Pros: From what I can tell(I'm a newbie) it is a good course to learn on.
Cons: Would be nice to have a couple longer holes. But with the land available I don't think that's possible.
Other Thoughts: They just dug some drainage ditches so I'm hoping that takes care of the standing water issue.

Youth Swamp

1    4/1/2010   4/1/2010
Review By: prerube
Pros: - Nice course maps and score cards can be printed online, picked up at Clearwater disc golf store, or picked up at hole 1.

- tees are pointlessly long (for those who need a run up for a 250 ft shot)

-Water comes in play on a few holes

- outside of the range of other park activities

- Nice tee signs, pretty easy navigation

-multiple concrete tees, some holes had alternate pins.

- bathroom facilities, a practice basket, and plenty of parking.
Cons: - This course was under 5 inches of water. a group of 4, playing ahead of us, quit at hole 3, my wife also quit at hole 3. It appears the park is already aware of this situation and working on a drainage system, when that system is in place I will add a star to the rating, but currently this course is unplayable if you are not prepared to play in ankle deep water.

- Alot of people were losing their discs in the little pond, supposedly there is a gator in the water, so get your disc at your own risk (I jumped in after my wife's disc with out worry.)

- monotonous,all 18 holes are 250-300ft straight shots with little to no shot variety. No elevation, no dog legs, no long tunnels, and little variety on distance.

- the ants and mosquitos are a problem as they swarm your discs and your legs. Bring bug spray and sunscreen.
Other Thoughts: I thought this would be a good beginner course, but this course is too risky for kids, disc loss would be too high, but the course is too simple for advanced players.

I spent more time and had more fun at the Clearwater disc golf store down the road, if you go to this course without stopping in, you'll be hexed and will miss your next 3 putts.

I drove by the Walgreens by the course and in neon lights is said "WE CARRY DISC GOLF EQUIPMENT", I would never have thought a pharmacy would carry Vibram putters as well as Gateway, Discraft, Innova, and Aerobie discs, This is truely a disc golf loving community with several great courses in the area.

Youth park is a bad name, more like adolescent park would be better.

1    1/2/2010   1/3/2010
Pros: 1) Massively long concrete tees. They are smooth, but for some reason they are a good surface. Not very wide however and I would much rather have wider tees than longer tees. Also since the course is nearly flat completely, their likely won't be erosion around the teepads.

2) Nice Baskets and all are in good shape.

3) Nice practice area as designated by the scorecard, including an area fr wider open throws too, sure it may only be 200' long but sometimes a nice warmup on a specific shot is nice.

4) Awesome design and layout of the course. They used the water (but fairly too) on a few holes which is essential with it being there. They also used the southern part of the park very effectively shooting back and forth and in and out of the wooded area on the course. This was awesome and obviously by design because you had trees and such to force your hand.

5) ALternate baskets on 1, 2, 7, 14 would really step those holes up in difficulty, so I like that

6) Scorecards and maps provided at the first tee which is a bonus especially for a newer course where new people will need navigation help and such.

7) Tee sins are very nice and #'d on the back of the sign so you can see which tee it is if you approach from behind. This will help cause traffic issues when busy!

8) Plenty of parking by the building, or apparently it is ok to park out by the course. Also multiple signs are visible along the main road pointing to the course and a sign also saying "Disc golf course" at the building in the parking lot.

9) Course is 100% isolated from other activities and that is an awesome design characteristic. It makes you feel like you are the only thing going on in the park that day.

10) Very well placed baskets incorporating the trees to make you shape your shot. This is key to this course being what it is. With less trees or less thought in design, this course could have very well been horrible and boring,
Cons: 1) Course is an a flat square lot so it can be wet and muddy at times. We played 2 days after a major ran came through and it was wet, but not unnavigable, just a few puddles to avoid but this is the dry season in FL so I can only imagine what the course would look like them. A couple of old school bridges with some blocks and a couple planks would be a nice bonus, drainage would be difficult too because the course is very very flat.

2) Turf is only adequate right now. You can still see the seed rows and in a year or so this won't be an issue when the bermuda spreads and covers all the ground. Until then the course will remain wet longer and be slippery in the thinner turf areas.

3) Forward tees only in a couple spots. I guess there are enough holes out there that playing from the back tee might be oo much especially as a beginner. It was almost that the thought the forward tee was only needed near the water.

4) Course challenge is not ever present there are a couple holes where the disc is simply straight out and easy to reach.

5) For a park called Youth Park I think it might be a little too challenging for the youth. That is why I think it should be called adolescent park, because they might be able to handle the distance. Forward tees would eliminate my feeling in this circumstance.

6) Completely flat . . . I know it is Florida, but there are almost no changes in ground. No hollows or slight rises, just plain flat.

Other Thoughts: I had a good timd despite this course being so much less than Tocobaga. It was fun to play and a lot less challenging but it has a lot of redeeming values in my opinion. This is a great park for the aveage disc golfer . . . challenging enough to be fun, but not frustrating to play. Forward tees would make this course more suited to Youth and I would upgrade the overall courses slightly because of this change.

Short but sweet

5+    11/15/2009   11/19/2009
Review By: Greenleaf
Pros: Well maintained, great tee pads, excellent signage, quick to play, lots of birdie opportunities, brand new course!
Cons: Short and very open. Gets very wet in the summer, I once walked 4 holes in calf deep water.
Other Thoughts: A great course to learn to play or if you dont have a lot of time for a long round at a bigger park.

Small But Mighty

1    9/26/2009   9/26/2009
Review By: Ron_Geracci
Pros: Very well designed course with the small amount of land given. Every hole has a new challenge to it and very fun to play. I think this is a very good course for anyone wanting to have a good time and/or learning DG. The course is also very well maintained the cut the grass weekly (if weather permits). The signage was very easy to read and understand and very appealing and the teepads were the perfect size. Plus, the lake there is well monitored for any gators or moccasins and you allowed to go for a swim and fish for some discs.
Cons: Because of rainy season, the majority of the time I was tromping through a swamp. ALOT of ants here, so be careful, the little buggers are all over the place so wear shoes with socks.
Other Thoughts: As a person who has only been playing DG for a couple days now, this will be a course I hit up alot when the rainy season is gone and passed, it's a short course and a good place to practice, could fit 36 holes in about 3, 4 hours top, easily.

2-4    9/6/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: drewzer
Pros: plenty of birdie ops. great use of the land provided. a nice break from the tougher courses in the area. good design.(thanks C.R.) signs look great.
Cons: some low areas w/ankle deep water on a couple holes in the front and back nines.
Other Thoughts: being generally a weekend only player, and in my late 40's. I like this course because I find it rewarding, and not so demanding. This means more fun.

Great Use of the Land Given

1    8/24/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: dangitboy
Pros: I will give credit to C.R. here for being creative with the small amount of land he had to work with. The tee pads are a good size. The course is easy to navigate. The course is not crowded. Port-a-johns on site. Great beginner course!
Cons: The biggest two are:

More than 50% of the holes are flooded and I mean over your ankles. You can play 1 and 2 without getting your feet soaked, but 3-6 and then 8-13 you are constantly trudging through some nasty swamp water. Then 15 and 16 you are wading through more water, no way around it.

The course is extremely short. I mean short. I brought a full bag and used a roc and putter 90% of the time. Some shots get boring and redundant.
Other Thoughts: There are maybe 5 holes that I would say are fun/interesting, but not difficult. All holes are easily reachable if you can throw 250-300. Most holes have little to no technical challenge/wide open. In the dry season (winter) it could be a better play.

Great fun 4 All and Still Challenging!!

5+    8/15/2009   8/15/2009
Review By: pokamitch
This review was updated on 6/22/2010
Pros: Excellent use of the land that is available!! Great flow and awesome teesigns (best signage I have ever seen!! Other courses in the area need to get with the guys at the Rec. Dept. that made them and get some of these sweet signs in at their courses). Large concrete teepads, with brand new Chainstars. Pond comes into play on about 3 holes. Alternate pins on 4 holes and #2 has 2 tees. Practice hole next to Potties/ Ballfield. Scorecards at hole 1 in the mailbox. Plenty of parking. Very high reward for good lines and accuracy. Enjoyed EVERY hole on the course!! They were all different shots and challenges

Trash cans on every 3rd hole. 2 Porta-Potties by hole #1 and the practice hole. Very clean course!!! Just an awesome course and a statement when DG'ers and the city work together (thanks to Patrick Murphy, Pinellas Park Building Dept., for getting a course in here and working with CR so well)
Cons: I don't look for faults, but if I had to, this is my gripe:

Can get flooded on on the backside of the course. I played the course by tromping through it and it didn't really affect my round (this is NOT a con, more a terrain flaw that is only effective in the rainy season/ summer. The course will be dry 8-9 months out of the year). ***UPDATE*** Talked to Pat and he said they had surveyors in to fix the drainage problem. A small, shallow ditch will run from fairway #3 south thru the back field and join the large ditch at that end of the course

Could use 1 of the Porta-Potties on the opposite side of the course. I would prefer a Pro Shop on the course, but FL seems to keep those on the DL.

Completely flat and kinda short (yet still has decent challenges)
Other Thoughts: This is a great course for all skill levels. I have personally seen several kids playing for their 1st time here, so it is getting more youngsters exposed to the sport.
I am thoroughly impressed with the forthought and detail taken into consideration on this course. Great work C.R.!!

Favorite holes:
Front, Hole #7: If you read my reveiws, you know I love throwing over water. This hole provides it with a shot is over the pond the entire time. The long position the hole is only 15 ft from the waters edge. Takes some balls and accuracy. I throw LHBH with a nice S-turn that can sail past the hole and OB or sit down just past the pond
Back, Hole # 12. Trees all over the obvious route, but I throw a mean hook left of the tree and let it fade back right to the hole

1 2 3 Next >