Timnath, CO
Timnath Reservoir DGC Share
Uploaded By: TimnathDiscGolf Hole #5 (Taken 9/2009)
Hole #5 Tee: Basket is Straight ahead.

Classic Rough and Open Prairie - Be Prepared

1    7/1/2010   7/2/2010
Review By: srm_520
Pros: Coming in at almost 3500' of open terrain, big arms will love this place and the ability to have the room to shape any shot to their liking. Four of the nine holes log in at over 400' and the course finishes on a blind downhill 615' classic bomb shot towards the reservoir.

The biggest pro may be the great elevation shots. I applaud the designers for using the landscape to the best of their ability in incorporating the elevation pin placement. Hole four is almost zen like on a calm summer day with the tee box on the highest point of the course overlooking the Colorado prairie with the Rocky Mountains as the backdrop. Then, the hole drops a good 80' or more to one of the lowest spots on the course. It's a fantastic hole.

The course is well manicured in the designated fairways for being in the middle of nowhere. Someone has a good four-wheel drive tractor that has mowed 20' to 25' fairways for all holes. Granted, you go right or left, you're playing in the prairie grass, but losing a disc would be difficult. Lastly, even though the course is well laid out, first timers should bring a map to aid in navigation.

BEST HOLE/S: #4
Cons: There is one tree. Literally there is one tree that guards #3 pin, but the course makes up for it in the amount of cactus, stickers, and yucca. For better or worse this is truly a western prairie course. I kept thinking that is place would be an amazing place for an ice bowl, because even on the calmest day, you're getting lake effect wind from one side and wind off the mountains from the other. Standing on top of #4 in January probably brings to meaning to the word misery.

While some people enjoy long open straight shots for every hole, I got bored after #4, and was ready to be done after just one round. If you like more wooded or traditional courses, I would suggest heading to Oxbow DGC in Windsor, or simply making your way to Fort Collins and playing Edora Park or Cache La Poudre Jr. High DGC.

This is to be expected, and was something I was very used to growing up with fields behind my house, but I forgot how miserable the short grass prairie is for your socks. I must have spent twenty minutes after my round picking out the hundreds of seed barbs from my shoes and socks. Bring an extra pair of socks - you will thank me.

The tee boxes are made from crushed asphalt, they are too short and virtually useless. It feels more natural to tee from the dirt here anyway. Each tee has 5" to 6" tall wooden markers that indicate the hole number. I give them another year the weather will destroy them - they aren't great. They can be easy to miss too, but the mowed grass is best indicator of where you should go, so it's usually not an issue.

WORST HOLE/S: #1
Other Thoughts: More so than most reviews, please note that all of the pros and cons listed here are based very much on this specific type of course. It's very much an extreme example that people dream about or can't stand. Being the Machismo opposite, I tried to find things to love about here - and I knew I was playing a prairie course, but this is rough and rugged classic east Colorado prairie that I could rather do without. It's simply hard for me to love a course with literally one tree. Having said this, again - some people can't get enough of open landscape, so just come in with the knowledge of what you're about to experience.