Smithfield, NC
Uploaded By: Knightmare831 Hole #1

No thank you.

1    4/16/2013   4/17/2013
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - If you take like 3 of the holes out of this park and stick them somewhere completely different you'd have a boring but somewhat kinda not so fun but there disc golf course.

It does mix up hole type a bit with some open ones and then some stuck in the trees over there next to that stuff we're not using.

Equipment - Concrete pads, some tee signs that show you distance and path on some holes. Discatchers.

Atmosphere - Interesting people to watch walk all through your line like there's not a disc golf course there.
Cons: Layout - If you said this course has safety issues you'd say the understatement of the year.

If you ask me who this course was designed for I'd answer the damned; because I feel terribly bad for anyone who loves tossing plastic and lives out here where this is one of their limited options.

You start off with two holes over 300' and mostly open with the exception of all the walkways, cars, people and children in the danger zone.

Then you play a hole where the only logical line is to throw a big hyzer out over a fenced in field.

Then two very short pitch & putt hyzers followed by some ridiculous dog leg shots near a drainage ditch and an impossible hole. I don't even know how to describe how terrible this hole is but just picture a wall of trees with a tee pad facing it.

Then you're back out to throwing near people or taking another hyzer over a field route.

It just doesn't make any sense man.

Equipment - Some holes don't have signs and you kind of have to figure out where you're going.

Atmosphere - It's in a heavily used park and you're right in all the local action. Try not to kill anyone if you make the mistake of playing here.
Other Thoughts: Worst course I've played yet which is weird because it has better individual holes than a couple of the other stinkers I've played. It just couples bad design with danger.

I did get behind a group of locals who played 2-5 then 9. I guess that makes the most sense for them although 2 & 9 are essentially par 4's for them. It was fun to watch them go at it.

If you can’t say something nice…

1    11/9/2009   5/24/2010
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
Umm… I'm thinking really hard… well, uhh…
*Hole 4 was a kind of fun (but too short) little woods shot with nice pines.
*Concrete tees (that are wide enough, but too short).
*There's a restroom
…and that's about all that I can come up with.
Cons:
-Safety issues abound. These include parking down the left side of hole 1, picnic tables 20 ft. from a basket, walking trails close to fairways and baskets, a playground that could be hit with errant shots… This is an active park with lots of kids, so be careful!
-Holes 6-8 were no fun at all. Hole 6: When I played the course there was a tee pad but no basket. The basket was probably stolen by vandals, but it's said to have been replaced.
-The stream on hole 7. The concept of this fairway seems like a cool design. The fairway curves to the left with a small stream that runs down the entire left side and a narrow landing area bordered by woods on the right of the water. The problem is that the water and mud in the wet area are really skanky and not something you'd want to put your feet in. If your disc goes in there then you're wading through brown gunky smelly muck. Not for me. I avoided it by dinking little shots that stayed safe. Not fun.
-"Hole" 8. There's a cement tee pad and a basket, but I'm still not sure it's really a hole. But if it is, then it's on my list as one of the worst holes I've ever seen! There's a fairway that goes straight for 50 ft. until it dead ends in a wall of trees with thick impenetrable shule that you can't even walk through. There is a basket more than 150 ft away, on the other side of the woods, but the trees are at least 40 ft high, so I couldn't throw a tomahawk high enough or far enough to get there. You can't get through, and you can't get over, so how do you reach the basket? What?!?
-Most of the other holes are too open for my taste.
-Tees signs are below average. Just basic metal.
-No amenities, except for a restroom. No map, no score cards, no warm up basket.
My Enjoyment Rating: 0.3 (out of 10)

Course Level: White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 900). Four holes are 310-345 ft. so that's too long for most White level players to reach for a birdie, thus they can only expect par or worse.

-Flat. This can't be changed, but the course is completely flat, so there's 0 elevation change.

I'm really trying to be charitable and follow the "If you can't say something nice…" principle. Let's just put it mildly and say I won't be coming back here again and leave it at that.

1    4/19/2010   4/19/2010
Review By: Borrachos
This review was updated on 5/10/2011
Pros: The course is easy to find and it's in a vibrant park filled with on this day at least 500 people. I really like Holes 1 & 2. Pretty open and above 300. Beware though... if you can throw accurately you shouldn't have any problems. After these holes I thought it was going to be a good course then I played most of the rest.

Great tee pads and nice signs.
Cons: The rest... lol 3's sign points you to 6's basket. It's pretty easy to figure out which pad goes to which basket in the wooded area, but I could have been wrong. The tees and baskets are almost on top of each other after the first two holes.
Other Thoughts: Odd enough, I'd say this parks success is a detriment to the disc golf course. People are absolutely everywhere so it is fun being out there and you get the opportunity to describe and hopefully promote disc golf.

With that many people though it's tough to play without fear of hitting someone or something.

True to the SSS standard

2-4    12/26/2008   8/26/2009
Review By: keltik
Pros: It's the first DG course in Johnston County NC and it is centrally located
Cons: where to begin?
Hole 1 has Parking on the left side of the Fairway (I have hyzered out and hit cars)

Holes 4 & 5 aren't well marked

Hole 6 is Gone (tee pad is there i think but no basket)

Hole 7 is a Wreck (no sign and the basket looks like it's been run over with a truck)

Hole 8 is a total mystery (no tee pad or sign)

it was supposed to be 9 holes but there are really only about 6 or 7 playable holes
Other Thoughts: It's right beside my old High School (SSS) and this disaster of a course reminds me of the disaster of a HS i went to....but the good news is that there are other very nice facilities there including a new indoor swimming and fitness facility