Fulton, MO
Veterans Park Share
Uploaded By: dudiablo Hole #4 (Taken 3/2011)
3 / 249ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Nice City Park

1    7/5/2014   7/8/2014
Review By: Golden Tuna
Pros: Concrete Tee pads, nice tee signs, nice baskets, well maintained park, multiple placements, trash cans, easy to navigate, water holes, friendly locals, & restrooms.

Veteran's Park is a nice park and course in the town of Fulton. The park was well maintained, with recently cut grass and emptied trash cans. Each hole has a concrete tee pad, descriptive tee sign and (many) include "next hole" arrows on the baskets. There are a few holes that play along the pond, which is a nice challenge and serene. I'd never played there, and the course was mostly empty, but we found our way around just fine. There were quite a few trash cans scattered throughout the park, which I thought was convenient. Though there weren't many golfers out when we were there, the rest of the locals that were using this multi-purpose park seemed friendly and tried to stay out of your way if they say you on the tee pad. Overall, a nice park to add to my list.
Cons: No real challenges, most holes <300', criss crossing holes, crammed into the space, too many mandos

Many of the holes are quite short, so you're basically driving and putting. The traditional challenge of a championship course isn't there. But, it is always fun to see how many birdies you can walk away with. I felt like there were a couple questionable design choices. Most notably, hole 10, where you drive through a playground? But, this seemed to be a relatively low traffic park, so it may not be an issue. There are also a few holes/fairways that seemed close to the roads. But, again, if the course doesn't see much traffic this probably isn't a concern. In my opinion, the designer made up for the lack of natural obstacles with the use of mandos. In most cases I would see these as design flaws, but they added another element to a course that otherwise would be much too easy.
Other Thoughts: This was a great little course to play while we were in town for another occasion. It was fun and low impact, so we were able to enjoy our walk in the park. I'd recommend a quick drive through the whole park before you start your round if you've never been to Veteran's Park. It was helpful for us to know which direction to head and helped get the lay of the land ahead of time.

Traveler's Tip: Fulton is a small town, so there are plenty of places to get drinks, food on the way in our out of the park. As I mentioned, the course is pretty short and open, so our round only took about 1.5 hours.

Fun Little Course - Needs Work

5+    11/24/2011   12/1/2011
Review By: Mind Expansi0n
Pros: Good signage at each tee, a course that is good for a wide range of players and abilities, a variety of shots needed to score well, good for shorter arms and for longer arms who need work on accuracy, really friendly locals.
Cons: The course feels a bit cramped in areas, plays close to parking lots and roads, several holes play dangerously close to the fairways of others (luckily it's a low traffic park), too many mandos as the result of a less-than-optimal use of the land, I could see first-timers having a hard time finding their way around this course, the course lacks clear 'lines' on some holes where it feels like you are just throwing at a basket behind a tree.
Other Thoughts: Difficulty: Noob - Advanced. I think someone really skilled at DG may get bored here - it's not very long and can be 'cheated' a bit with direct lines. The locals are very cool here and I thank them for showing me around and letting me play a round with them. Kudos for this small town for having a course at all.