Barnwell, SC
Fuller Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #5 (Taken 1/2010)

Fuller's Flicks

2-4    8/4/2014   8/5/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Fuller Park DGC is a decent course that can be quick, easy and fun so long as you avoid the punishing kudzu brush and limited water hazards. Limited trees to navigate, and slight elevation change on a couple of holes. Each of the 9 holes has a sign with distance and a map with other pertinent info. There is a small concrete tee pad for every hole as well. They are sufficiently sized on holes 1-4, which are all short enough for a set shot or limited run-up. Holes 5 and 7 are the only ones exceeding 300 feet, and there is flat grass providing extra space if you need more room to drive. Hole 8 is interesting because it is next to the cemetery. The baskets are Mach 2 and mostly ok, but the basket on 6 was kind of twisted. We played 2 rounds, and for the second we chose safari tee positions on 6 of the holes. I liked scoring -4 and bogey free on both rounds. I wound up throwing RHFH flicks on 1, 2, 4, 6, and 9, and birdied all except hole 4. The fact I play predominately RHBH and have far less distance on the forehand throw should give you a notion of how easy these holes are. 9 is by far the trickiest of them because there is a 15' hill right behind the basket. I lucked out with a low branch knockdown to park it. The second time through, we safari teed off hole 1 from atop the hill right next to the 9th basket. It is a great open line from an elevated tee about 360' maybe. This goes directly over the parking lot, and close to some sort of concession stand that was closed at the time. It may not be wise to try this on a busy day at the park. My car was the only one in the lot, and nobody was around, so we went with it, and it paid off with a great drive and a park job for a 2. On hole 2, we crossed the bridge on Dunbarton Blvd to a grassy spot on the opposite side of channel of water, adding 60-75' of distance, but still managed a forehand birdie with a car honking in the middle of my run-up. Tacking on distance and changing angles also worked on holes 3, 4, 6 and 9, but teeing hole 1 from the 9th hole basket was the best throw of the night for me. It was getting dark, but the lights were fairly goodn Night play might be possible, but I believe the park may have closed at sun down.
Cons: This course is ridiculous short and easy on the whole. 1 and 2 especially. I did see the sign on hole 1 labeled it a par 2. Really? I have mixed feelings about this, it is absurdly short, but an ace is actually a birdie? Whatever. We played longer safari tees frequently to spice up the second round a bit. On hole 3, my buddy's drive turned over and sailed into the channel of water that runs next to holes 2 and 3. Initially some vegetation held the disc where we could see it, but after attempting and dropping a rim snag with a long stick, it sank below the surface, and the water proved to be quite deep. It was not recovered, and cost us some time to walk back to the bridge before hole 2. There is also serious heavy brush, vines, and foliage to steer clear of, mainly near holes 4 and 6. Loosing a disc in there would be quite easy. There is also many places where the walking path through the park is crossing or dangerously nearby some fairways. A busy day may be hard to get in every hole.
Other Thoughts: Fuller Park DGC is a 40 minute drive from my house. Now that I've been there once, I can say that is on the outer limits of how far I would drive to play disc golf there. It is a very nice little park with soccer fields, basketball courts, fishing, and other amenities. The course itself was fun, but I was -8 on 18 holes my first and second time out, and adding length to 6 holes on the second round. I am ok, but destroying a course like that tells me it's too easy. Not a single bogey says lacking challenge to me. I birdied the longest hole, and 3 holes twice. I guess that is partly why I enjoyed the course, but it wasn't as satisfying as par on a more difficult and diverse course. If you are relatively close, and have 30 minutes to spare, you may consider playing here, but I wouldn't go out of my way to experience Fuller. Great for newer players, but too easy for an experienced player.

Small Town Gem

2-4    1/2/2010   1/2/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 11/4/2012
Pros: -Brand New Mach II Baskets
-Restrooms near the parking lot
-Cement Tee's
-Excellent Pin Placement. Course is well designed and maximized for the space available
-Nice Signs w/Maps
-Good Navigation, Course map at the first tee, The "Next" Tee's were visible and easy to find
-The course is in a City Park, and it is well maintained and landscaped.
-Great for beginners, yet offers enough of a challenge that regular players should enjoy playing here as well.
-No need for hiking shoes
-Plays fast, so if you are on a trip, this makes a good place to stop and throw.
-There are challenges! Don't let the short yardage fool you, the first hole maybe 140ft, but getting around the tree is the real trick. …and there is a big creek on the other side of the Fence.
-Hole 8 plays alongside a graveyard, I just thought it was cool!
-There is a Mando on Hole 6, you must play to the left of the tree. (Would be a nice addition for them to put a Mando sign on the tree)
-This is a well designed "Rec" course. Someone put some time, effort, and money into this course. …and it Shows!
-On some of the Baskets, It would behoove you to not overthrow, for there can be a risk. Water or a down a steep hill.
-The course was easy to find, as you pull into the Parking lot the first tee is on the right.
Cons: -Water comes into play on Holes 3,4 and 6 , but it is not communicated on the Maps. The water is hidden inside the tree line. It may be casual water from floods, but I did have to fish a disc out of the water. The water on 3 and 4 is hidden behind the tree line. -There is a creek that is right behind the basket on 3, it is not on the sign.
-Hole 3 also plays along side a softball field, be careful or you could interrupt a game.
-Hole 4: I noticed quite a few softballs in the water, as I was fishing my disc out. This means watch out for Home Runs! They probably won't yell "Fore"! ;)
- Hole 8: There is a fence, that runs along side of the fairway, opposite the graveyard. If your disc goes over, you'll have to walk ALL THE WAY AROUND, and it's a long walk! Barbed wire prevents you from climbing over.
-Holes 1 and 2 play around and near an open picnic area.
-If there is game at either the Softball field or the Basketball courts along hole 9, there could be crowds milling around.
-Also, There could be a funeral happening in the graveyard on 8.

Other Thoughts: Fuller Park was a pleasant surprise! I didn't know what to expect upon arrival. Bear in mind that this is a City Park "Rec" course, not a professional course. It's perfect for a small town City Park. It gave me plenty of challenges, and even baited me into a little over-confidence. You'll need some strategy shots for some of the holes, and you can break out your long arm on others. This course had a big fun factor for me, I was ready to play it again when I was done with the first round. It wasn't a hard course, but the challenges that it offers made it interesting. The photos make it appear to be in an open field, which it is, but half of the holes play along either a tree line or a Fence. The Distance Shots are across an open field. One of which has a Mando.

I drove 30 minutes to play here, and I wasn't disappointed! It's definitely worth checking out. I wouldn't drive out of my way to play here, but if I could plan my trip with a stop in Barnwell, I would! If you are in NW South Carolina, and you are planning on heading down south to play The Sarge, Tom Triplett and others further south, you could very easily make this a stop along the way.

For your GPS, According to the Website, the address is: