Piqua, OH
Duke Foundation DGC Share
Uploaded By: uppervalleyflyers Hole #5

They really took advantage of the space!

2-4    11/10/2014   11/10/2014
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: 18+1 good condition Chainstar baskets flow all over this spacious community college campus, and the course boasts nicely sized, level, flush to the ground concrete tees, as well as informative signage with little basket/bins on a number of them. There are even alternate basket positions on five holes, plus play that ranges from ridges to pine lanes, a U-shaped hole around a marshy rough area, a hole that flirts with a creek and another with a pond.

So it's not -only- a course to stretch your legs and work out your arm, just a mile or so off interstate 75 in Piqua, but a design that will enable you to practice control in the frequent plains windiness, and get your upshots right, because about 's of the holes finish into a tight green. Your upshots will need to be pretty good working left to right and right to left to score best out here.

There is a great three-sided kiosk with a course map and some local info, trash barrels and benches all over, as well as tons of available parking. The distances on the course range from four technical holes under 200' to three holes (more open) that are well over 400'.
Cons: They had very little elevation to work with, and did incorporate the available woods edges well, but this necessitated some enormously long walks between holes (probably between 300 to 500 feet from 6 to 7, 9 to 10, 15 to 16, and 16 to 17, then the walk back to 1 after 18). Take a copy of the map out with you!

Personally, as a guy who struggles to get past 300' on my drives, and especially into a headwind, there were at least six holes I'll never have a chance to reach, but they really weren't 'hard' enough to turn into fours, unless I really screwed up my upshot, or fluffed my putt. I tend to prefer a design that gives me a shot at deuces with a perfect tee shot, but might punish poor execution with a well-deserved four. But maybe that's just me.
Other Thoughts: There aren't a lot of courses nearby, and the Duke Foundation course is pretty good one overall, especially if you're out for the fitness benefit of a good hike. They seem to have used the space they had as best they could, and it's clear that there have been some saplings planted in a few places since the pics on here were taken, so they're thinking long term.

Good test course

1    5/25/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: Soilmapper
Pros: Wide open tee shots lets you test new discs or new throwing technique (for beginners testing their strength). This course makes you feel like a better player than you are.
Cons: In a few years, holes like #14 will be a different story... tree growth being the reason. More obstacles would be more challenging.
Other Thoughts: I am a casual player. I drive between 250-280 typically, with my BOSS driver. I got my first eagle on #16 with two long drives and a 10 foot putt; that hole should be a par 4 at best. Just too wide open to be more than a 3 rating. I am used to LOTS of trees from the tee pad onward.

Cooed course

1    3/7/2011   3/7/2013
Review By: Bushman71
Pros: Some nice holes, good signage, clean well kept park.
Cons: Lots of land and potential holes lay between holes. Could be 9 more holes put in between the holes. Witch also means long walks between holes
Other Thoughts: Make sure you make note of witch way the next hole is on the T-signs

Disappointed

1    6/23/2011   6/23/2011
Review By: esdubya
This review was updated on 4/12/2016
Other Thoughts: Armed with a recently purchased Buzzz and Force from MC Sports (I didn't bring my discs on my work trip) and fresh from a meeting I was really stoked to get a round in at a new course. My pre-round anticipation was high. This seemed to be the highest rated in the area.

The land here is nice for a course but there were so many missed opportunities out here that I left very disappointed with my experience.

First, the drives are almost all wide open and there tends to be holes where 95% is open then it's closed in around the putting green area. There are WAY too many holes like this and I'm really not a fan. I prefer more obstacles on the drive not just around the basket.

Second, the walks between the holes, wow.. Many of the walks from basket to tee are longer than the holes out there. It would be one thing if the long walk was to get through a bottleneck in the land or to setup a really cool hole, but many of the walks are just from lame hole to lame hole in a wide open area. WHY?

Third was most frustrating. There are many cool berms and OB areas around here that would make really cool putting greens. None of these are utilized in the design. Anytime you can put a basket on a side slope: do it!

OK, so there are two 'decent' holes and those are #4 (through the small tree stand) and that one with the lake on your left.

This course is a poor man's version of Lawrence Tech University. Not recommended. I would only play here if you are stuck in the area.

It's too bad the designer didn't steal some good ideas from other courses (like the college's namesake T. Edison did to other inventors). There is a 3.5 star course here with some major redesign.

Interesting Round

1    4/1/2011   4/3/2011
Review By: hooked312
Pros: -A good variety of holes. Not one hole really reminded me of the others.
- Good mix of shorter holes and longer holes.
- Very nice cement tee pads. (also see cons)
- A nice map and practice basket by the first tee
- With the signs it was fairly easy to navigate for a first timer.
Cons: - Not a natural location for a course. It seemed kind of forced into the area.
- Some of the tee pads were short for the length of their holes.
- Long walks between about a handful of holes.
Other Thoughts: All in all this course was just decent. Nothing extremely beautiful about it and as I said before it seemed kind of forced into the location.
It did offer a few unique challenges and each hole was different which I was impressed with.
I wouldn't recommend anyone to go out of their way to play it, but if you are in Piqua you should try it out.