Santa Cruz, CA

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Epic and legendary

5+    6/25/2009   6/26/2015
Review By: dgyp
Pros: Challenging with no end. many hours of disc. feeling of acomplishment once you finish. beautiful views, weather layout. mix of holes.
Cons: far too popular for me to play much anymore. one group per hole.
Other Thoughts: I used to play this course a couple of times a month but cant get to SC like I used to. Learn here and you can play anywhere. epic epic course!

Respect the DeLa

2-4    3/21/2015   3/23/2015
Review By: Skwirly
Pros: -Nice new MachX baskets in each hole
-Large cement teepads with good grip on most holes
-Great variety of holes, very few seem similar
-Challenging, some may find it too difficult but I thought it was just right, not for beginners.
-Great views of Santa Cruz and the surrounding forest, not just on the signature Top of the World hole
-They sell discs at the golf pro shop on the road coming up to the course. They also have a shipping container set up at the course where they sell discs and they guy running it was very nice and knowledgeable.
Cons: -A few crossing fairways, which really bothered me since it's such a large course, it seems they could cut it down to 27 holes and avoid these crossings, but at the same time it might end up leaving a long walk between some holes.
-At least one teepad that was very small.
Other Thoughts: One thing I don't consider a con personally, but could go either way for others was the extreme elevation on a lot of holes, this is definitely a good hike. I enjoy the exercise and playing in Northern California that's usually the norm. The crossing fairways really bothered me, but I'm not sure what the best way to eliminate them would be. I went on a Saturday midday and it wasn't too busy, but we did have to wait on those in front of us a few times and for somebody to shoot on the crossing fairways. Overall this course lives up to the hype. You have to play it smart, know how to shape your shots and use the spin of your disc for good placements. I tried to be brave on a couple holes and ended up in the canyons along the fairways. I didn't lose any discs, but I gained a nice poison ivy rash. The poison ivy is easy to avoid if you stay on the fairways or at least don't go too far off them. The Kitchen and Top of the World holes are in my top 5 holes played and they're on the same course. I've played other top of the worlds but they pale in comparison to this one.

1    3/15/2015   3/19/2015
Review By: MCW5379
Pros: Just a great course to challenge yourself. Having to attack this course with multiple shot types. Secondary basket locations to add change to the course. A lot more elevation then what there appears to be on video.
Cons: Only thing I didn't like was that a couple of fairways crossed
Other Thoughts: Had an absolute blast! Only let 3 holes kick my butt.

World class course.

1    2/13/2015   2/14/2015
Review By: thespeedokid
Pros: Nice elevation changes. Nicely wooded. Extremely well kept. (It's not overgrown with weeds). Pro shop. Practice green. Great baskets. Great tees in size and quality. (They're like 10 ft by 5ft). Great hole signs. Easy course to follow due in part by the map of the course they give. Scorecards. 29 holes. Challenging but still enjoyable. Variety of shots needed. Surprisingly not overly crowded. Free besides the parking fee. (So bring a bus full of people and split the 2 bucks:). And of course hole 27. I mean come on that beast is epic.
Other Thoughts: I left the cons blank because this course is really about as close to perfection as it gets. A lot of professional disc golfers play here. Play the course it's well worth the 2 dollars spent on parking.

1    8/13/2013   1/4/2015
Review By: Chuckhuckaba
This review was updated on 6/1/2015
Pros: A challenging course, but very fair. You need to execute a variety of shots to score well. Good mix of short and long holes. Not a bad hole on this layout. I'm from Michigan, so this course resembled some of the Northern Michigan courses I play back home. Very friendly locals, who are helpful when guiding you through the course.
Cons: None really, other than it was very busy when I played. That should be expected on such a nice course.
Other Thoughts: I'll be back!

Wonderful course

5+    12/5/2014   12/8/2014
Review By: Jazzmafia127
Pros: A great course with a new challenge at every hole. Ups downs and valleys are just a few of the holes types up in the santa cruz mountains. The man that runs the shack i the parking lot is nice and always gives a nice deal on all his discs. The trademark hole, Top of the world, is a great hole with a lot of challenge for all but the best golfers. It's a semi short hole that can be birdied by any player that can get their disc down the ill without hooking it.
Cons: There's only a few bad things on the course, mainly just holes that eat up discs and a few badly placed trees but overall a great course.
Other Thoughts: Mainly a awesome course but a fe disc eating holes,enough holes to play a full 2.5-3 hour match if you play all 29. every player on the course is helpful and nice.Play the course if you're staying anywhere in santa cruz, and stop by at dj's mini mart, it's on the way and has every kind of disc. overall a 8-10 course.

Some Issues

1    6/16/2014   6/23/2014
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: What I really like about this course is the specific type of skill it challenges and lack there of it exploits. There aren't a ton of courses (where I come from at least) that challenge spot placement and landing angle. On most of these greens if you throw a disc not being careful of the landing angle you will be putting uphill and forty feet farther than you thought you were. Almost every hole on the course challenges you in this way and with the different lines and type of shots you are forced to use here if you aren't proficient at this you're not going to score well so you may want to re think that spike hyzer near the basket on every hole.

Good variety here between open and slightly wooded; nothing I would call super tight lines though. Punishment off the fairways is usually moderately severe with a few giant 'sand traps' full of sticker bushes or brush. Saving par on bad throws is difficult or on discs that rolled away.
Cons: Some may say that having 27+ holes is awesome and while I don't totally disagree with that I have to question multiple crossing fairways on a piece of land this large with this many holes on it. In my opinion the crossing holes are some of the worst on the course and only play in that direction in order to get to the next hole. A few of these holes could be taken out or maybe re worked, I'm not sure but as is there are dumb holes in the middle of the course crossing each other. Going in that same thinking there are no par four holes here and I see no reason why some of the more questionable holes couldn't be scrapped or extended to create a difficult par four here and there. This would be a better use of the land with fewer holes (number of holes doesn't matter) than trying to just get more holes in play if you ask me.

'Top of the world'. I've been hearing about this hole for years before ever playing it and finally seeing I was incredible underwhelmed and disappointed. Not only is this is a relatively easy downhill (not even that far downhill) putter throw but you are throwing into no less than three other fairways and the road and parking lot. I can see someone getting hit in the head with a disc or breaking the window on a car, not exactly the safest hole.
Other Thoughts: I went with some friends that have played the course multiple times so I didn't have to worry about navigation. I don't think it should be that difficult seems pretty straight forward except for a few areas but the course is always busy so I'm sure you could just follow the group in front of you or ask someone nearby.

I liked the course for a few great holes and a bunch of good/decent holes but like I said there are still some really bad holes and issues here. The course has held up well over the years it seems and still hasn't gave up it's difficulty even to new technological advances in plastic, though there is signs (or lack there of) of vandalism and heavy use. Overall this is a great course to play if you are in the area but don't get overly excited about playing a legendary course and the top of the world because it's slightly over blown.

I got DeLa'd

2-4    8/17/2013   5/20/2014
Review By: The_Warwolf
Pros: I love the elevation changes, the tight lines, the difficult terrain, the number of baskets, the history, the scenery, and the challenge in general. This course is absolutely worth playing if you're even close to being in this area.
Cons: I've only got to play it twice... that's the only con I can think of.
Other Thoughts: Play this course if you get the chance. It's something you can't quite put into pictures or videos and just have to experience for yourself.

Bring some extra discs, this course eats them alive. Also bring you good shoes, this course will put your boots, and your body, to the test with it's demanding 27 hole layout. You will not have any leftover energy once you're done with a round at DeLa.

ONE OF THE BEST!

1    12/11/2013   3/13/2014
Review By: Numbnuts
Pros: *Excellent variability
*Multiple pin positions
*Almost every hole has elevation changes
*Good people
*Great challenge, good variety in difficulty
*Very established course, well designed
*Variety in style of holes
*Discs for sale, clubhouse is a shipping container
*Weather is always nice
Cons: *Pay for parking
*Could lose discs easily on some holes (sheer drops, dense woods, blind shots)
*Some excellent skill required on some narrow, canopy covered fairways
*No maps available (take a pic of the map on the bulletin board)
*No bathrooms near when you get far out
*Outhouses only

Other Thoughts: The cons are really subjective, as the $2 parking is a pittance to experience this amazing course. Prepare to make a day out of playing this course, Bring food and water, which you can get from a mini mart on the way to the road leading to the course that also has a nice selection of discs. Everyone is nice and even though it is challenging for beginners, my friend who was a newbie didn't seem to mind since this place is so amazing. "The Kitchen" puts you on a precipice where you throw from one platform to another 100ft down, you need some accuracy here, if you miss you prolly just lost your disc! You may want a spotter for some holes. Some holes are wide open, some are through thickets where you have to throw super straight. Sometimes you will be throwing blind, over gulches, up and down, the variability is amazing. Truly memorable and a must for any enthusiast! World class.

Worth the drive!

1    9/11/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: wpifarmer
Pros: Multiple pin placements
Varied hole styles
Concrete tee pads
Rich history
Cons: Busy
Unforgiving
Intersecting holes
Lots of poison oak
"pro shop" not open when I was there
Runners and Mt. Bikers riding down some fairways.
Other Thoughts: On a recent business trip I had the chance to drive from Si Valley to play here. It was definitely worth the trip! You guys have seen the videos and read the reviews. It's a pretty awesome place. All holes are par 3's. The holes on one side of the street are essentially all along a hill side, while the holes on the other are mostly on a plateau. The ground was basically devoid of grass when I was here so rollaways (I'm looking at you hole 25) and skip always were common so plan your approaches appropriately. The trees in this part of CA are much different than what we have where I am from (New England). For the most part, in N.E., maple and oak trees can sometimes be punched through with a hard throw due to the volume of the leaves and the way the branches grow. The trees in CA are very gnarly and very random how the branches grow in all directions. They grab discs. If your disc goes into a tree, it will not come out the other side, it likely will not even drop down. So stay out of trees. Also, there are ravines and cliffs everywhere at DeLaveaga. There is also no shortage of death putt opportunities. If you miss a putt, you better hit something and land pancake style. Most holes demand a very precise placement of your drive for a chance at par with lots of opportunity to lose discs on errant drives into ravines. There are several tunnel shots here that require really straight and precise drives, otherwise you're playing pinball the rest of the hole. All the teepads were textured concrete.
The scenery was pretty cool with a huge variety of trees and occasional views of the ocean. It wasn't quite what I expected being almost the Mecca of CA disc golf, but it was definitely awesome. The holes tend to criss cross one another somewhat so listen up, watch out, and call out "fore" especially on holes like 27. this was the most challenging of the three courses I played. It was also the busiest. Even on a Wednesday afternoon/early evening there were people everywhere. It must be a total madhouse on weekends.
The ball golf course down the street sells discs. Which is good for me because the "shop" at the course was not open while I was there and I needed a disc. I would have loved to have purchased some logo discs, but the hours are sporadic according to my playing partners.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8