Santa Cruz, CA

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Iconic

5+    7/27/2015   6/17/2016
Review By: Wasp
Pros: -Amazing, iconic course.
-Difficult
-Variety of shots
-nice scenery
Cons: Really dusty at times, but really no complaints.
Other Thoughts: Go there and play the course. One of the best courses in the country. It's easy to see why so many pro's grew up in the Santa Cruz area playing DeLa all the time.

Awesome course!

1    3/30/2016   4/29/2016
Review By: JBrew012
Pros: Great mixture of fairly open, long holes as well as tough shots with obstacles.
Cons: Some of the holes were difficult to locate from the tee pad.
A few of the correct tee pads were difficult to locate.
Other Thoughts: I saw that this course was extremely popular, so when I was on a road trip in the area, I had to give it a go. It was a blast. There were some open shots, but some technical shots as well. The great thing about the technical shots though is that the woods on either side are clear enough on the ground that you can easily spot a disc if you make an errant throw. Good course for beginners and more advanced players. Fun course!

Whole New Respect for Disc Golf!

1    7/19/2015   7/20/2015
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: I have seen this course played many times on Youtube but actually playing it was humbling. I couldn't believe how much harder the holes were than they looked with the pros playing them. So many of the lines are pretty tight that the pros make look more open as they so easily hit the gaps that are hard to hit if you aren't of their skill level. Just take hole 1, that looks pretty flat online with the pros getting up into the tree line...it takes a pretty long throw to get it "up" there...way harder than it looks.

This course provides a lot of variety to the holes with plenty of length to make birdies hard enough to get and plenty of times you are going to need to shore up your "getting out of trouble shots." I think I had 2-3 birdie looks the whole round and only got one on the "gravity" hole. The kitchen hole played a lot shorter than I thought it would and was easily birdiable.

I really liked that there weren't too many mandos or too many OB lines as the holes had plenty of space between them. The only real overlap/danger was how the top of the world shot (which is spectacular) played over a few fairways and into the parking lot, even to the proshop if you threw too far off course. We were standing in the parking lot and someone skipped one of the parking lot to within one foot of black acing the portable basket the proshop had out at the corner of the parking lot. That would have been an amazing shot if it had gone in!

The elevation was quite a challenge, especially if you aren't use to it. You really have to plan your shot to keep from getting rollaways as best you can. You also had to watch out for poison oak in the rough...main thing is keep it in the fairway as best you can! Hard to manage if you hit a tree but just playing conservative, throwing straight and keeping it on the fairway is a good way to go.
Cons: - The poison oak was a problem
- Blind shots - while these are fun and would be fantastic if you played this course a lot...it got a bit old having to walk a few hundred feet to see the pin on a good number of the holes.
- Top of the world proved a bit dangerous to a few fairways and the parking lot.
- A bit busy but that was a good thing as we had people in front of us to follow.

All of that is VERY minor...still a 5 star, top rated, must play course!
Other Thoughts: Definitely play this course! I cannot say enough good about this course and would love to play it again. This course would only get more fun the more you play it as one would be more familiar with the pin placements and where the drop offs and OB's come into play. Also thankful that the park is spacious with plenty of room to fit in all the holes without posing a danger to other players or park users. Too many courses try to jam holes in too tight...this is NOT the case here. Each hold pretty much stands alone which is not usually the case.

Epic and legendary

5+    6/25/2009   6/26/2015
Review By: dgyp
Pros: Challenging with no end. many hours of disc. feeling of acomplishment once you finish. beautiful views, weather layout. mix of holes.
Cons: far too popular for me to play much anymore. one group per hole.
Other Thoughts: I used to play this course a couple of times a month but cant get to SC like I used to. Learn here and you can play anywhere. epic epic course!

Respect the DeLa

2-4    3/21/2015   3/23/2015
Review By: Skwirly
Pros: -Nice new MachX baskets in each hole
-Large cement teepads with good grip on most holes
-Great variety of holes, very few seem similar
-Challenging, some may find it too difficult but I thought it was just right, not for beginners.
-Great views of Santa Cruz and the surrounding forest, not just on the signature Top of the World hole
-They sell discs at the golf pro shop on the road coming up to the course. They also have a shipping container set up at the course where they sell discs and they guy running it was very nice and knowledgeable.
Cons: -A few crossing fairways, which really bothered me since it's such a large course, it seems they could cut it down to 27 holes and avoid these crossings, but at the same time it might end up leaving a long walk between some holes.
-At least one teepad that was very small.
Other Thoughts: One thing I don't consider a con personally, but could go either way for others was the extreme elevation on a lot of holes, this is definitely a good hike. I enjoy the exercise and playing in Northern California that's usually the norm. The crossing fairways really bothered me, but I'm not sure what the best way to eliminate them would be. I went on a Saturday midday and it wasn't too busy, but we did have to wait on those in front of us a few times and for somebody to shoot on the crossing fairways. Overall this course lives up to the hype. You have to play it smart, know how to shape your shots and use the spin of your disc for good placements. I tried to be brave on a couple holes and ended up in the canyons along the fairways. I didn't lose any discs, but I gained a nice poison ivy rash. The poison ivy is easy to avoid if you stay on the fairways or at least don't go too far off them. The Kitchen and Top of the World holes are in my top 5 holes played and they're on the same course. I've played other top of the worlds but they pale in comparison to this one.

1    3/15/2015   3/19/2015
Review By: MCW5379
Pros: Just a great course to challenge yourself. Having to attack this course with multiple shot types. Secondary basket locations to add change to the course. A lot more elevation then what there appears to be on video.
Cons: Only thing I didn't like was that a couple of fairways crossed
Other Thoughts: Had an absolute blast! Only let 3 holes kick my butt.

World class course.

1    2/13/2015   2/14/2015
Review By: thespeedokid
Pros: Nice elevation changes. Nicely wooded. Extremely well kept. (It's not overgrown with weeds). Pro shop. Practice green. Great baskets. Great tees in size and quality. (They're like 10 ft by 5ft). Great hole signs. Easy course to follow due in part by the map of the course they give. Scorecards. 29 holes. Challenging but still enjoyable. Variety of shots needed. Surprisingly not overly crowded. Free besides the parking fee. (So bring a bus full of people and split the 2 bucks:). And of course hole 27. I mean come on that beast is epic.
Other Thoughts: I left the cons blank because this course is really about as close to perfection as it gets. A lot of professional disc golfers play here. Play the course it's well worth the 2 dollars spent on parking.

1    8/13/2013   1/4/2015
Review By: Chuckhuckaba
This review was updated on 6/1/2015
Pros: A challenging course, but very fair. You need to execute a variety of shots to score well. Good mix of short and long holes. Not a bad hole on this layout. I'm from Michigan, so this course resembled some of the Northern Michigan courses I play back home. Very friendly locals, who are helpful when guiding you through the course.
Cons: None really, other than it was very busy when I played. That should be expected on such a nice course.
Other Thoughts: I'll be back!

Wonderful course

5+    12/5/2014   12/8/2014
Review By: Jazzmafia127
Pros: A great course with a new challenge at every hole. Ups downs and valleys are just a few of the holes types up in the santa cruz mountains. The man that runs the shack i the parking lot is nice and always gives a nice deal on all his discs. The trademark hole, Top of the world, is a great hole with a lot of challenge for all but the best golfers. It's a semi short hole that can be birdied by any player that can get their disc down the ill without hooking it.
Cons: There's only a few bad things on the course, mainly just holes that eat up discs and a few badly placed trees but overall a great course.
Other Thoughts: Mainly a awesome course but a fe disc eating holes,enough holes to play a full 2.5-3 hour match if you play all 29. every player on the course is helpful and nice.Play the course if you're staying anywhere in santa cruz, and stop by at dj's mini mart, it's on the way and has every kind of disc. overall a 8-10 course.

Some Issues

1    6/16/2014   6/23/2014
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: What I really like about this course is the specific type of skill it challenges and lack there of it exploits. There aren't a ton of courses (where I come from at least) that challenge spot placement and landing angle. On most of these greens if you throw a disc not being careful of the landing angle you will be putting uphill and forty feet farther than you thought you were. Almost every hole on the course challenges you in this way and with the different lines and type of shots you are forced to use here if you aren't proficient at this you're not going to score well so you may want to re think that spike hyzer near the basket on every hole.

Good variety here between open and slightly wooded; nothing I would call super tight lines though. Punishment off the fairways is usually moderately severe with a few giant 'sand traps' full of sticker bushes or brush. Saving par on bad throws is difficult or on discs that rolled away.
Cons: Some may say that having 27+ holes is awesome and while I don't totally disagree with that I have to question multiple crossing fairways on a piece of land this large with this many holes on it. In my opinion the crossing holes are some of the worst on the course and only play in that direction in order to get to the next hole. A few of these holes could be taken out or maybe re worked, I'm not sure but as is there are dumb holes in the middle of the course crossing each other. Going in that same thinking there are no par four holes here and I see no reason why some of the more questionable holes couldn't be scrapped or extended to create a difficult par four here and there. This would be a better use of the land with fewer holes (number of holes doesn't matter) than trying to just get more holes in play if you ask me.

'Top of the world'. I've been hearing about this hole for years before ever playing it and finally seeing I was incredible underwhelmed and disappointed. Not only is this is a relatively easy downhill (not even that far downhill) putter throw but you are throwing into no less than three other fairways and the road and parking lot. I can see someone getting hit in the head with a disc or breaking the window on a car, not exactly the safest hole.
Other Thoughts: I went with some friends that have played the course multiple times so I didn't have to worry about navigation. I don't think it should be that difficult seems pretty straight forward except for a few areas but the course is always busy so I'm sure you could just follow the group in front of you or ask someone nearby.

I liked the course for a few great holes and a bunch of good/decent holes but like I said there are still some really bad holes and issues here. The course has held up well over the years it seems and still hasn't gave up it's difficulty even to new technological advances in plastic, though there is signs (or lack there of) of vandalism and heavy use. Overall this is a great course to play if you are in the area but don't get overly excited about playing a legendary course and the top of the world because it's slightly over blown.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9