Santa Cruz, CA
Hole #8A Tee Sign

Somewhat disappointed

1    8/8/2012   8/15/2012
Review By: Stan McDaniel
Pros: Upon arrival at Dela I was very excited to play this course I had heard so much about. My wife and I were met on hole 1 by a gentleman named Jacob. Jacob offered to give us a tour through the course. This was valuable in navigating the course. He was also a very good disc golfer. He could throw further than me, even though he had left his prosthesis at home and played on crutches. He didn't slow us down. If anything it was the opposite. I did enjoy the terrain and most of the holes were well conceived. The terrain was not as brutal as all the hype and the greens were not as cruel as all the hype. Make no mistake, if you missed bad you were going to pay, but somehow my mind and all the years of talk had created much more of a monster in my minds eye. The disc golf experience there was worth more than a 3, but there were cons for me.
Cons: With all the property this course sets on I don't see why there are crossing fairways. With all the property this course sets on I don't like how shots from the last hole, Top of the World, can fly wildly in so many directions that people on at least 4 other holes are in jeopardy. I heard this a lot, "Fore on 1", "Fore on 2", "Fore on 4" or Fore on 5". I am not exaggerating. I had a wonderful talk with Marty Hapner and friends after playing the course and I heard it while playing and I heard it after playing. It may sound odd coming from me, a designer who likes tight fairways, but there were holes that had large brush/bushes in the fairways line of flight and branches of trees above them. There were many places where I had really low branches obstructing a putt and the 10 meter green invaded by bushes. The course seemed to me to need a lot of love and attention and erosion control. The soil is soft and there is a lot of play there. I played on Wednesday around noon and probably half the holes had players on them. Tough to keep up with that kind of foot traffic without some terracing and erosion control plans.
Other Thoughts: In my opinion, and I realize that many others will not agree ( and I do not begrudge them their opinions), this course should be reduced to an 18 hole course in an effort to negate the conflict that exists between the current holes.

Overrated

2-4    9/7/2010   9/7/2010
Review By: akoenig
Pros: - 27 holes
- Great length for intermediate to advanced players
- Variety of shots required over the length of the course
- Signs for each hole
- Barkmulch around many of the baskets act as a great green
- You can buy discs on site
Cons: - Other than the Top of the World hole, I thought the surroundings and view were rather harsh.

- Too many blind holes. I think having a few holes on a course where you can't see the basket is fine, but here there's just too many. I would guess at least 18 are blind. Couple that with the fact that each hole has multiple pin positions and the indicators for what pin position each is at isn't always correct, and you're never really sure where to throw.

- One group of locals was really rude to us. They were a group of 7 older guys that were taking forever and backing up the course. We skipped two holes to pass them and were almost finished teeing off on hole 8 when they arrived to the tee box and were rude about how we should have skipped one more because they now had to wait for a minute. We were playing very quickly and it was a little uncalled for on their part, seeing how we were playing 2 holes for every one they did.

- Fairways cross each other in several places

- The last hole is pretty cool, but it's also a crazy hazard. I saw about 4 shots that were near hits

- Not a lot of signs to point you to the next hole. We screwed up a few times.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I just didn't have as much fun at this course as I would have thought for a course that's been developed so well. It was tedious to have to run and look ahead for so many of the baskets. Only once did I think to myself that the tee off was a really cool shot. And the bad experience we had with the group of locals combined with the above makes me not like it as much as I should have.

Quite disappointing

6/30/2008   7/2/2008
Review By: Caribbeing
Pros: Very long, so it's good for those who like to really haul off and throw it. I think this course might be a lot of fun once you know it very well, but it's definitely unfriendly to newcomers.
Cons: Poor signage. In many cases, it's really impossible to figure out where the basket is, unless you ask someone.

Very crowded, even at 2:00 on a Monday afternoon.

Dusty, hard fairways mean that discs skip and fly far beyond what you'd expect.

Finally, a number of holes are next to a deep gorge, which means a poor throw results in a dangerous climb down a steep hill to retrieve your disc.

This course is very difficult, really to point of being not fun. I like a challenge, but unless you know this course inside-out, forget it - don't even bother to keep score. Many baskets are placed in the middle of a clump of trees - there is simply no way to get a decent score.

Also, some of the other reviews talk about how scenic it is. I didn't see it. I brought my camera, and I didn't take a single picture. There's nothing striking or beautiful, other than the ball golf course you drive through to get to the disc golf course.

I'd heard about this course and read the reviews on this website, but it's not worth it. I've played many other courses that were far superior to this one.

I'm sure I'll get poor ratings from people who play this course a lot, but if you've played at any other well-regarded courses, you know that this one is good but definitely not great.