Santa Cruz, CA
Uploaded By: Hwy1DG Hole #5

< Prev 1 2 3

1    5/1/2013   5/4/2013
Review By: ThrowinGhost
Pros: Very Challenging, you need every shot in your bag.
Varying pin layouts get changed pretty often and the overall feel of the course is altered significantly.
Cons: Crowded during the weekends and afternoons, but it's Dela so it's somewhat expectd: get there early.
Other Thoughts: What else can be said about Dela. It is my personal favorite course because of all the shots that are necessary to get through it. The tournament layout is especially difficult, but that only adds to the challenge and fun of the course. If you are in the Monterey/Santa Cruz area, then you owe it to yourself to go play this course.

santa cruz

5+    4/5/2013   4/21/2013
Review By: Don DiscHulk
Pros: I consider this the best course i have ever played. Everyone knows about Dela, huge distances, unique layouts, Top of the world. Like i need to say more
Cons: Its Dela, so huge crowds, its something you have to deal with, so you might as well just sit back and enjoy the experience.
Other Thoughts: Better pay the parking, they will ticket you

Awesome !!

5+    3/5/2009   3/5/2013
Review By: DonnyO
Pros: De Laveaga Disc Golf Course is one of the most highly rated disc golf courses in the world. It is famous for its inspiring natural setting, as well as for its uncompromising challenge
Cons: You will get a few overpar strokes if you don't pay attention to every shot.
Other Thoughts: Scenic , Beautiful course.

My home

5+    2/10/2013   2/13/2013
Review By: nawanda37
This review was updated on 2/15/2013
Pros: + You need every throw that exists
+ Perfectly maintained all year long
+ Perfect baskets and tee pads
+ Perfect signage, especially with the addition of untamperable pin placement markers
+ Every shot all day is risk/reward: drives, approaches, and especially putts.
+ Pro shop on site
+ Constantly shifting pin placements mean a fresh look
+ Portable bathroom on site
Cons: - Crowds
- Crowds of families throwing lids 20ft at a time who would have had a better time at Aptos
- Crowds of tourists that don't know course rules, some of which are there for safety
- If you are a beginner, expect to waste a good deal of time pulling discs out of ravines, or bring cash to buy extra discs in the parking lot
- Central coast poison oak (PO)
- Brutal, occasionally sneaky, difficulty
- Only a couple spots for the wide open big bombs...you'll never get to relax and just throw
-$2 to park, which makes it the only pay-to-play for many miles (though I wish it were more expensive to cut down on #1, #2, and #3)
- Um...no water fountain on site, I guess. I'm really reaching.
Other Thoughts: Notes:
I have put off writing this review for a while now. DeLa is DeLa, ya' know? It's not like it needs me shilling for it. Considering all factors, it's clearly the best course in this part of the country.

The important points are listed above, so I'm just going to talk about the course a little bit. I don't need to talk you into trying out DeLa. If you're a disc golfer and you're visiting the area, it's a no-brainer. If you're a disc golfer and you're living in the area, you've played DeLa. If you're not a disc golfer, you're not reading this.

Delaveaga has always been my home course. I started out playing there in the late 90's with nothing but a Shark. A few hours at DeLa meant at least three beers and three hours, often without seeing another set of golfers. It was just a part of living in SC, like jogging along West Cliff, or not remembering how you got home from the Red Room.
I didn't begin playing DG with a purpose until summer 2011. As my distance crept up, so did the amount of time I spent searching for discs in ravines. In my opinion, this course is toughest on low intermediate players with the arm to put the disc far into trouble. Thinking back, during that phase of my development, I actually avoided the course for quite a while without really realizing it. I was spending more than a half-hour per round clambering, and a few times repelling, through PO.
Every hole at DeLa is a par 3. This doesn't mean that 3 is the average number of strokes it takes people to put the disc in the basket...just that the par is always 3. A pattern I've noticed with many courses is that designers try to make sure that one of those three shots is tough; at DeLa, unless you truly park one of your first two, every shot is likely to be difficult, making it one of the great risk/reward courses. On most of the holes, the only way to park the shot is to mix a little bravery in with your skill. Most of the fairways are full of obstacles. Most of the greens are guarded and are fast/sloped/littered with roots, making even simple upshots nerve-racking. I promised myself that I wouldn't write this review until I started to put together regular par or better rounds--it only took 14 years.
Celebrate your pars, take your birdies where you can get them, and when you do get a bogey, smile and remember that you're in Santa Cruz, playing disc golf at one of the greatest courses in the world.

Top of the World

2-4    1/7/2012   3/9/2012
Review By: Golden
Pros: Excellent use of terrain and natural features. Concrete pads with multiple pin positions on many of the holes. Great club with a good following of pros and ams alike.
Cons: Cigarettes are off limits as the park is a high fire area.
Other Thoughts: Pay your parking fee!!!

Morning Delight

1    2/15/2012   2/15/2012
Review By: jhkovac
Pros: I'm not going to do this course justice with this review. Everyone has probably written about this course 10 times over, but I thought I'd just give you my take.
I woke up early in Santa Cruz this morning, with a good 3hrs of time to play this course. Got there at 8am, and I was the first one in the parking lot. I was not disappointed. I've read about this course for a while, and having the ability to take my time for my first (and definitely not last!) trip through was a treat, and highly recommended!!
The holes were long & challenging. Signage was great; every hole was thoroughly illustrated with flight paths, yardage, and the DIRECTION TO THE NEXT HOLE!! (i will utilize this feature when I open my course, for sure)
Cons: I don't live in Santa Cruz.
My arm cannot produce the type of distance this course requires.
My throwing cannot produce the type of accuracy this course requires.
Oh wait......these are my Cons, not the course's.
This course has no Cons!!
Other Thoughts: The Top of the World hole (last hole, #27) is fantastic. Bring your camera and make sure to yell FORE after you throw, no matter where you've sent it sailing. For me this hole is quite dangerous to everyone else on the course, but that could just be me. I DH mountain bike, so I'm not a puss, but this hole has too many ways to give you the ability to to decapitate someone....not something I've put on my bucket list.
Travel to this course, play it, say that you have, spread the word, and then go back. I know I will!!!

Disc Golfs Pebble Beach

5+    12/13/2011   12/14/2011
Review By: SJ_Chainseeker
This review was updated on 9/9/2012
Pros: Theres nothing this course lacks. Its got it all. Hyzers, An-hyzers, big drives, tunnel shots, rollers if ya got em, elevation-both up and down, great locals, friendly people, I could go on and on, Lets just say that it is a must play course.
Cons: No water, bring ur own. $2 parking fee. Hard to navigate for the first timer, bring a map.
Other Thoughts: Remember the first time you went to Disneyland, that magical feeling that you were someplace special. Thats how you feel here, even after visiting it 100+ times. Its Nate Doss' home course, enough said.

DeLa is a classic

5+    12/26/2010   12/27/2010
Review By: scdg888
Pros: Creative design, beautiful scenery, great community! DeLa is one of the most challenging courses. I have played it hundreds of times, spent hundreds of hours on it... still mastering every hole. New pin positions pretty frequently. Also, no uniformed cops.
Cons: On weekends the course is slow with college kids and families, nothing wrong with that; its just a more relaxed game. Also, no water facilities or city support. Watch out for undercover cops!
Other Thoughts: For beginners, take a local to learn. People shouldnt complain about the parking fee, it is how we stay open. If you dont want to pay the fee, ride a bike and save the environment! Also buy discs once you get to the parking lot, the ball golf pro shop is NOT for disc golfers.

Tight

1    6/13/2010   6/14/2010
Review By: ChillyWilly
Pros: -Lots of gentle slopes that make your drives feel just a little longer than they really are.
-Reasonably wide fairways. This is nice given how much poison oak can be found in the wooded boundary areas.
-In general, all the holes are pretty reasonably designed so you don't have to make too many throws blind.
-Peaceful setting with impressive scenery and views.
Cons: -Lots of drives end up in the parking lot so bring your hooptie, not the lexus (or bike there better yet).
Other Thoughts: Like this course really needs another rating, but yes, I can confirm that it's pretty awesome. I just wish there was a camp site in the park so you could camp and play the whole weekend.

nasty dela

5+    12/2/2009   12/2/2009
Review By: Peterb
This review was updated on 12/6/2009
Pros: tests every shot in the book. Left, right, up, down, straight. Lots of danger for missed drives, upshots, and putts. Sweet location with sick views, big trees, etc. Club has done a great job protecting some trees that have gotten a lot of abuse over the years.

Almost every pin has danger written all over it. Many have potential roll aways down into deep canyons. I usually use a Pro D challenger for putting but find myself going to the r-pro aviar here due to the massive skip factor. If your drive isn't ideal, then a layup with a non skipping/rollaway disc is essential.

There's always people playing, discs and snacks for sale, and of course you have the top of the world with its insane views out over monterey bay and the mountains of Big Sur beyond.
Cons: people parking at the golf course since they won't pay the measly $2 parking fee, then jumping on the course where they feel like it.
Other Thoughts: Tom Schot delivered a masterpiece here, and everyone knows it. Truly a special spot for disc golf and a place to protect.

< Prev 1 2 3