Santa Cruz, CA
DeLaveaga Park Share
Uploaded By: erickmj Hole #12 (Taken 8/2004)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Whole New Respect for Disc Golf!

1    7/19/2015   7/20/2015
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: I have seen this course played many times on Youtube but actually playing it was humbling. I couldn't believe how much harder the holes were than they looked with the pros playing them. So many of the lines are pretty tight that the pros make look more open as they so easily hit the gaps that are hard to hit if you aren't of their skill level. Just take hole 1, that looks pretty flat online with the pros getting up into the tree line...it takes a pretty long throw to get it "up" there...way harder than it looks.

This course provides a lot of variety to the holes with plenty of length to make birdies hard enough to get and plenty of times you are going to need to shore up your "getting out of trouble shots." I think I had 2-3 birdie looks the whole round and only got one on the "gravity" hole. The kitchen hole played a lot shorter than I thought it would and was easily birdiable.

I really liked that there weren't too many mandos or too many OB lines as the holes had plenty of space between them. The only real overlap/danger was how the top of the world shot (which is spectacular) played over a few fairways and into the parking lot, even to the proshop if you threw too far off course. We were standing in the parking lot and someone skipped one of the parking lot to within one foot of black acing the portable basket the proshop had out at the corner of the parking lot. That would have been an amazing shot if it had gone in!

The elevation was quite a challenge, especially if you aren't use to it. You really have to plan your shot to keep from getting rollaways as best you can. You also had to watch out for poison oak in the rough...main thing is keep it in the fairway as best you can! Hard to manage if you hit a tree but just playing conservative, throwing straight and keeping it on the fairway is a good way to go.
Cons: - The poison oak was a problem
- Blind shots - while these are fun and would be fantastic if you played this course a lot...it got a bit old having to walk a few hundred feet to see the pin on a good number of the holes.
- Top of the world proved a bit dangerous to a few fairways and the parking lot.
- A bit busy but that was a good thing as we had people in front of us to follow.

All of that is VERY minor...still a 5 star, top rated, must play course!
Other Thoughts: Definitely play this course! I cannot say enough good about this course and would love to play it again. This course would only get more fun the more you play it as one would be more familiar with the pin placements and where the drop offs and OB's come into play. Also thankful that the park is spacious with plenty of room to fit in all the holes without posing a danger to other players or park users. Too many courses try to jam holes in too tight...this is NOT the case here. Each hold pretty much stands alone which is not usually the case.

Epic and legendary

5+    6/25/2009   6/26/2015
Review By: dgyp
Pros: Challenging with no end. many hours of disc. feeling of acomplishment once you finish. beautiful views, weather layout. mix of holes.
Cons: far too popular for me to play much anymore. one group per hole.
Other Thoughts: I used to play this course a couple of times a month but cant get to SC like I used to. Learn here and you can play anywhere. epic epic course!

World class course.

1    2/13/2015   2/14/2015
Review By: thespeedokid
Pros: Nice elevation changes. Nicely wooded. Extremely well kept. (It's not overgrown with weeds). Pro shop. Practice green. Great baskets. Great tees in size and quality. (They're like 10 ft by 5ft). Great hole signs. Easy course to follow due in part by the map of the course they give. Scorecards. 29 holes. Challenging but still enjoyable. Variety of shots needed. Surprisingly not overly crowded. Free besides the parking fee. (So bring a bus full of people and split the 2 bucks:). And of course hole 27. I mean come on that beast is epic.
Other Thoughts: I left the cons blank because this course is really about as close to perfection as it gets. A lot of professional disc golfers play here. Play the course it's well worth the 2 dollars spent on parking.

I got DeLa'd

2-4    8/17/2013   5/20/2014
Review By: The_Warwolf
Pros: I love the elevation changes, the tight lines, the difficult terrain, the number of baskets, the history, the scenery, and the challenge in general. This course is absolutely worth playing if you're even close to being in this area.
Cons: I've only got to play it twice... that's the only con I can think of.
Other Thoughts: Play this course if you get the chance. It's something you can't quite put into pictures or videos and just have to experience for yourself.

Bring some extra discs, this course eats them alive. Also bring you good shoes, this course will put your boots, and your body, to the test with it's demanding 27 hole layout. You will not have any leftover energy once you're done with a round at DeLa.

1    5/1/2013   5/4/2013
Review By: ThrowinGhost
Pros: Very Challenging, you need every shot in your bag.
Varying pin layouts get changed pretty often and the overall feel of the course is altered significantly.
Cons: Crowded during the weekends and afternoons, but it's Dela so it's somewhat expectd: get there early.
Other Thoughts: What else can be said about Dela. It is my personal favorite course because of all the shots that are necessary to get through it. The tournament layout is especially difficult, but that only adds to the challenge and fun of the course. If you are in the Monterey/Santa Cruz area, then you owe it to yourself to go play this course.

santa cruz

5+    4/5/2013   4/21/2013
Review By: Don DiscHulk
Pros: I consider this the best course i have ever played. Everyone knows about Dela, huge distances, unique layouts, Top of the world. Like i need to say more
Cons: Its Dela, so huge crowds, its something you have to deal with, so you might as well just sit back and enjoy the experience.
Other Thoughts: Better pay the parking, they will ticket you

Awesome !!

5+    3/5/2009   3/5/2013
Review By: DonnyO
Pros: De Laveaga Disc Golf Course is one of the most highly rated disc golf courses in the world. It is famous for its inspiring natural setting, as well as for its uncompromising challenge
Cons: You will get a few overpar strokes if you don't pay attention to every shot.
Other Thoughts: Scenic , Beautiful course.

My home

5+    2/10/2013   2/13/2013
Review By: nawanda37
This review was updated on 2/15/2013
Pros: + You need every throw that exists
+ Perfectly maintained all year long
+ Perfect baskets and tee pads
+ Perfect signage, especially with the addition of untamperable pin placement markers
+ Every shot all day is risk/reward: drives, approaches, and especially putts.
+ Pro shop on site
+ Constantly shifting pin placements mean a fresh look
+ Portable bathroom on site
Cons: - Crowds
- Crowds of families throwing lids 20ft at a time who would have had a better time at Aptos
- Crowds of tourists that don't know course rules, some of which are there for safety
- If you are a beginner, expect to waste a good deal of time pulling discs out of ravines, or bring cash to buy extra discs in the parking lot
- Central coast poison oak (PO)
- Brutal, occasionally sneaky, difficulty
- Only a couple spots for the wide open big bombs...you'll never get to relax and just throw
-$2 to park, which makes it the only pay-to-play for many miles (though I wish it were more expensive to cut down on #1, #2, and #3)
- Um...no water fountain on site, I guess. I'm really reaching.
Other Thoughts: Notes:
I have put off writing this review for a while now. DeLa is DeLa, ya' know? It's not like it needs me shilling for it. Considering all factors, it's clearly the best course in this part of the country.

The important points are listed above, so I'm just going to talk about the course a little bit. I don't need to talk you into trying out DeLa. If you're a disc golfer and you're visiting the area, it's a no-brainer. If you're a disc golfer and you're living in the area, you've played DeLa. If you're not a disc golfer, you're not reading this.

Delaveaga has always been my home course. I started out playing there in the late 90's with nothing but a Shark. A few hours at DeLa meant at least three beers and three hours, often without seeing another set of golfers. It was just a part of living in SC, like jogging along West Cliff, or not remembering how you got home from the Red Room.
I didn't begin playing DG with a purpose until summer 2011. As my distance crept up, so did the amount of time I spent searching for discs in ravines. In my opinion, this course is toughest on low intermediate players with the arm to put the disc far into trouble. Thinking back, during that phase of my development, I actually avoided the course for quite a while without really realizing it. I was spending more than a half-hour per round clambering, and a few times repelling, through PO.
Every hole at DeLa is a par 3. This doesn't mean that 3 is the average number of strokes it takes people to put the disc in the basket...just that the par is always 3. A pattern I've noticed with many courses is that designers try to make sure that one of those three shots is tough; at DeLa, unless you truly park one of your first two, every shot is likely to be difficult, making it one of the great risk/reward courses. On most of the holes, the only way to park the shot is to mix a little bravery in with your skill. Most of the fairways are full of obstacles. Most of the greens are guarded and are fast/sloped/littered with roots, making even simple upshots nerve-racking. I promised myself that I wouldn't write this review until I started to put together regular par or better rounds--it only took 14 years.
Celebrate your pars, take your birdies where you can get them, and when you do get a bogey, smile and remember that you're in Santa Cruz, playing disc golf at one of the greatest courses in the world.

Top of the World

2-4    1/7/2012   3/9/2012
Review By: Golden
Pros: Excellent use of terrain and natural features. Concrete pads with multiple pin positions on many of the holes. Great club with a good following of pros and ams alike.
Cons: Cigarettes are off limits as the park is a high fire area.
Other Thoughts: Pay your parking fee!!!

Morning Delight

1    2/15/2012   2/15/2012
Review By: jhkovac
Pros: I'm not going to do this course justice with this review. Everyone has probably written about this course 10 times over, but I thought I'd just give you my take.
I woke up early in Santa Cruz this morning, with a good 3hrs of time to play this course. Got there at 8am, and I was the first one in the parking lot. I was not disappointed. I've read about this course for a while, and having the ability to take my time for my first (and definitely not last!) trip through was a treat, and highly recommended!!
The holes were long & challenging. Signage was great; every hole was thoroughly illustrated with flight paths, yardage, and the DIRECTION TO THE NEXT HOLE!! (i will utilize this feature when I open my course, for sure)
Cons: I don't live in Santa Cruz.
My arm cannot produce the type of distance this course requires.
My throwing cannot produce the type of accuracy this course requires.
Oh wait......these are my Cons, not the course's.
This course has no Cons!!
Other Thoughts: The Top of the World hole (last hole, #27) is fantastic. Bring your camera and make sure to yell FORE after you throw, no matter where you've sent it sailing. For me this hole is quite dangerous to everyone else on the course, but that could just be me. I DH mountain bike, so I'm not a puss, but this hole has too many ways to give you the ability to to decapitate someone....not something I've put on my bucket list.
Travel to this course, play it, say that you have, spread the word, and then go back. I know I will!!!

< Prev 1 2 3 4