Santa Cruz, CA
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #23

Worth the Pilgrimage

1    4/4/2009   7/14/2009
Review By: Bradshaw
Pros: Breathtaking setting supported by awesome disc golf community.

I simply was in awe and enjoyed every second on the course.

Risk / Reward shots and extreme elevation changes challenge your mental and physical game.

Well worth my journey from the east coast!
Cons: That might be your disc you see 100ft down the ravine.

A couple of errant throws or unkind kicks might have you mountain climbing (which is a Pro) but throwing your disc out of there is undesirable.
Other Thoughts: If you are not local, make the pilgrimage!!!

Not much to add

5+    6/4/2008   7/4/2009
Review By: Mergz
Pros: 27 holes. This course is a great challenge for both pros and ams. There is a great variety of layouts - big open hucks, technical shots throuh wood with OBs, up hill, down hill, blind dog legs. Excellent use of land/ topography. Friendly locals. This is a big fun course that will improve your game for sure.
Cons: Some holes play too close to each other. The course gets crowded.
Other Thoughts: I hear that the number of holes was being reduced from 27 to 18. I hope not.

Loyalty and Experience

1    6/29/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This course is laid out amazingly well in a setting that makes you feel like you have the best of a park course as well as the best of any mountains course. There are some incredible elevation changes. There are great signs at each hole, some that have some great stories behind them and the history of the course. I specifically liked the hole where the old refridgerator used to be. Great variation in types of shots that you will have to play. Everything becomes a good challenge and every bad shot will be punished. There is an incredible local crowd that loves and cares for this course. This course will be a memorable experience no matter how your round goes, especially with thier Top of the World as the last hole.
Cons: There are many holes where you could easily loose a disc if you do not know the terrain very well. You do have to pay to park at this course though it is possible to walk in from somewhere. Even though I was at this course very early in the morning there was a good size crowd there so I would imagine that this course can get super busy and when it gets super busy, watch out for discs flying at you from other holes. I thought there was a lack of consistency amongst tee pads that threw me for a loop once or twice.
Other Thoughts: This is just one of those courses that you have to play. It is really an experience like no other. There is a good chance that you will spend a good bit of time looking for your disc on several holes, which only makes your round that much longer. The better you know this course the better you will fare. The locals take a lot of pride in their course and if you do not show it the respect they think it deserves they will get on your case. You should defiantely throw nothing faster than a mid range off Top of the World. My drive went over the parking lot and through the fairway of 24, oops.

Dela is the Real Deal

5+    5/17/2008   4/27/2009
Review By: Mtn Huckin
Pros: I mean come on.....If you didnt figure it out Dela will test everything you got in the most ridiculous location. Truly EPIC disc golf. On my top five list out of 250 courses. You can play it hundreds of times and learn something every time you go.
Cons: People who smoke on Dela and risk its stability.
Other Thoughts: I would live in Santa Cruz if just to play that course. Its that good!

A B+ Destination Course - A "Must Play!"

2-4    9/19/2003   4/18/2009
Pros: What I like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A+
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- C

Epic

1    4/17/2009   4/17/2009
Review By: Doktor John
Other Thoughts: No need to rate my "review"...I have nothing new to add to the comments before me...I just wanted to add to the many voices praising this course.

I've waited years to play this course and finally got to today as part of a DG road trip my wife and I are taking...12-15 courses in 7 days (DG in the mornings and early afternoons...wine tasting the rest of the time win-win)

This course is well worth seeking out...well worth making the cornerstone of a DG road trip on the West Coast.

The locals I ran into were extremely helpful and friendly.

The placements were on the "long settings" for the pins and even though it kicked my but (21 over par for 28 holes) I never felt overly frustrated and felt I was actually doing good by parring 5 and getting one eagle) I ended on cloud 9 by parring the top of the world!

This course lived up to all the "press" and my lofty expectations.

One special treat of the day was at the Pinto Lake course not far away (also designed by Tom Schott) as we were teeing off on hole 6 a truck pulled up and it was Tom himself as he was working on desgning the back 9 at Pinto...we talked for about an hour about his courses, including a new one in Belize and got pictures with him (we are total DG geeks)

I'm still buzzed from today...and haven't even got to the wine yet :)

One special treat

The Best in the West!

1    1/6/2009   2/23/2009
Review By: tdluxon
This review was updated on 3/2/2009
Pros: The best course in CA! This place is awesome, tons of really tough holes... anyone who can play the whole course at par or better is an awesome player. Tons of tough shots of all types, especially some awesome downhill shots where you can really bomb it. Great views, beautiful setting! Very long, both individual holes (some are over 500 ft) and total course (27 holes)! The final hole, the legendary "Top of the World" offers not only a great hole, but also an awesome view of the Monterey bay.
Cons: Not very beginner friendly... course is very hard, and there are lots of spots where a bad shot can result in your disc ending up at the bottom of a steep ravine filled with poison oak. This course can be very frustrating for beginners due to its length and difficulty. Very possible to lose a disc, even for a good player. Still, this danger just makes playing the course that much more exciting and fun... no room for error, one mistake could be the last time you see your disc!
Other Thoughts: This place is the best... bring your A game and prepare to be humbled by this awesome course, and the amazing locals who play it! In my opinion, anyone who doesn't like this course is either a crappy player, an idiot, or both.

Great, rugged monster DGC

5+    7/12/2008   2/13/2009
Review By: RedC
Pros: Epic "Top of the World" hole. 27 holes. Cool locals, Great long course with multiple discipline challenges. Fun hiking the mountainside with beautiful views.
Cons: Heavily wooded and not well maintained in the more rugged spots, makes for long searches if you're not paying attention. A long day on the course.
Other Thoughts: Bring your A game or stay home. OK, still go, it's worth it.

Good - but over rated

5+    9/12/1997   1/29/2009
Review By: craigg
Pros: Plenty of challenge here, good variety of the types of shots required. From a purely technical standpoint, this is an excellent course.
Cons: Not beginner friendly.
Signage is poor at best or was when I was there last - hopefully it has improved.
Several crossing fairways make it dangerous in places considering how frequently you have to throw hard.

The "beauty" espoused by so many in reference to this course is a misnomer. Unless you find hard packed dirt beautiful I suppose. Couple that with uncontrolled erosion, and I think the DeLa club is lucky the course hasn't been pulled - as I have seen such conditions be the cause for other courses to be yanked.
Other Thoughts: DeLA was one of the early true distance courses, and as such - earned a reputation for its challenge. There really were very few or no other courses that matched its difficulty back in the 80's. Disc technology has caught up to it though, and it has been surpassed on many levels (beauty, technical challenge, variety, you name it) by a number of other courses.
Don't let the CONS keep you from paying a visit if you are in the San Fran/NorCal area - it is definitely a must play. But if MECCA is what you want, try Leister, MA, Charlotte, NC, or Paw Paw, WV

Best Course in the Area

5+    1/16/2009   1/25/2009
Review By: cptron
Pros: DeLa is a spectacular course. I affectionately refer to it as the "Augusta National of Disc Golf" because it combines natural beauty with a high level of difficulty.
There are uphill holes, downhill holes, long holes, short holes, technical holes, and wide open holes. You need it all in order to shoot well at DeLa. It is a tough course, but a fair course.
When I score well here I feel like I have every aspect of my game working. Good shots are rewarded. Bad shots can be devastating to your score.
The ravines next to many of the fairways are beautiful and unforgiving.
The locals are friendly and proud of their course. Cheap snacks and a good selection of discs are available on most days in the parking lot.
There are multiple pin locations on most holes. The course is well maintained.
Cons: There's a lot of poison oak in the ravines and off the edge of the fairways.
The hole numbers are slightly off but it's only because new holes have been added within the last few years and hole 17 was removed. 17 does appear for big tournaments though.
The signage is not as good as some other courses.
Other Thoughts: I rated this course a "5" because I hold all other courses up to it.
Construction on a new parking lot and drainage system was completed in November of 2008. Holes 6, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, and 27 were affected but are all currently still in place. It's my opinion that the course became slightly easier because many of those holes became permanently shorter. It seems that the long pin placements on those holes won't be in use in the future.
Smoking and drinking are not allowed. Rangers and Santa Cruz Police regularly patrol the area and will not hesitate to pass out tickets if they see you from the road (I know from experience). Any serious disc golfer visiting Northern California must play here. If you enjoy a challenging and beautiful disc golf course, you will love DeLaveaga.