Santa Cruz, CA
DeLaveaga Park Share

not as good as the hype

5+    6/24/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: adazm
Pros: beautiful setting. very challenging. grand daddy type course.
Cons: too too many blind holes with a steep drop off behind basket. after the 5th or 6th time playing, have finally come to conclusion that i dont care for DeLa.
Other Thoughts: if i played with a bunch of locals, that would probably help. in the more difficult set ups, there are just too many tight fairways up hill that are 350 feet. which is fine, they are very parable. and i can throw 400+ feet in an open field. but realistically, 350 foot uphill tight holes are just a bunch of boring pars.

Once Wasn't Enough

1    4/19/2012   4/25/2012
Review By: Steve G
This review was updated on 4/26/2012
Pros: Challenging in so many ways. If you've never played it, and this was my first go at it, it's everything you've heard. Tee box views that will blow you away. Blind shots, uphill and down hill. Good friendly help and locals.
Cons: Glad I had a guide! I did grab a map of DeLa from the Bolf course, just down the road. Still, course knowledge is so important. Beware of Rollers and skips on certain holes. Them's some steeeep canyons! Garbage cans lacking but servicing them could be pretty taxing. Carry out what you brought in. Watch out for the police, they have mountain bikes too.
Other Thoughts: I was on vaca for a week. Had played down the coast at Waller Park once and Heilman 4 rounds in two days. (I'd like to thank this site very much for the guidance!) De LaVeaga was my last stop before heading back to Sac.
Blew my mind! Some out of this world shots. The Kitchen on 12 was intimidating as all get out. Hooking up with a player who knew the course was so invaluable. Thank you Kari Rose and Fumi!
The crew maintaining the place take a lot of pride in what they do and the Pro-Shop/Snack bar guy is as helpful as can be.
Time to plan a camping trip in the area with the friends that got me hooked on this game.
The 3 hour drive, one way, will require more then one round.
BTW- You have to pay to park. $2.00. Don't overpay (like me) thinking the extra goes to the course, there is a donation box on the 1st hole for that. DOH!

Excellent View from 27

1    3/17/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: BlackCrow77
Pros: Many have wish-listed this place and for good reason. This is where the Pro's play and sharpen their game. Good use of tech and finesse shots. Multiple pin placements. Great elevation changes and use of land. Great scenery all around and particularly from 27.
Cons: Had I not gone to the Ball Golf pro shop (down the road) prior to my round, navigation would have been an issue on some of the holes. Generally, I'd say it's not suited for first-timers.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this was a very challenging course and what I needed. It brought my game a new perspective; it's a long way to the top...

Top of the World

2-4    1/7/2012   3/9/2012
Review By: Golden
Pros: Excellent use of terrain and natural features. Concrete pads with multiple pin positions on many of the holes. Great club with a good following of pros and ams alike.
Cons: Cigarettes are off limits as the park is a high fire area.
Other Thoughts: Pay your parking fee!!!

test your mettle

2-4    2/22/2012   2/23/2012
Review By: bazillion
Pros: Superior design, isolated yet easy to get to from anywhere in the South Bay, absolutely incredible scenery all around, holes that you WILL NOT find anywhere else, extreme risk/reward, and a finisher that tells you you've been to an epic DG destination.
Cons: Several crossing fairways, minimal water & facilities on-site, not much in the way of trash cans. That's about it.
Other Thoughts: De La has long held its position as one of the crown jewels in the disc golf universe, and rightly so.

It begins with the trip up the hill, where you follow a stream up a narrow, tree-shaded canyon that eventually opens up into enough flat land to put a bolf course. On the other side of the bolf course you go on about a mile more to the DG course parking lot ($2).

The first hole is relatively short but plays up a 25-degree slope, which means that you get to warm up WELL before setting out. (Fortunately, there are a couple of practice baskets available to warm up on.)

From that point you're into the woods, out of the woods, up the hills, down the hills, around the trees, smacking into the trees, and generally having a ball until you get to #25.

Hole 25 plays up a very steep hill, after which you get to hole 26, which ALSO plays up a very steep hill. Then, thoroughly wiped out from a long (figure three hours for a round) day, you find yourself at the Top of the World, which makes it all worthwhile.

Enough has been said about TOW by other reviewers - read them and believe what you read. Once you've hucked your plastic off into that sublime space, you'll never be the same again.

Best course i've played!

1    2/18/2012   2/19/2012
Review By: hatchet
Pros: Wonderfull variety, with fantastic views.
well designed course, with a great environment.
Top of the world was so great, we walked back up and played it twice :)

Cons: Some short tee pads, and crowded, but you cant complain, its no wonder there are so many people wanting to come play there.
Other Thoughts: Long course with challenging shots and risk/reward opportunities!
Really fun, had a great time.
Thank you!

Morning Delight

1    2/15/2012   2/15/2012
Review By: jhkovac
Pros: I'm not going to do this course justice with this review. Everyone has probably written about this course 10 times over, but I thought I'd just give you my take.
I woke up early in Santa Cruz this morning, with a good 3hrs of time to play this course. Got there at 8am, and I was the first one in the parking lot. I was not disappointed. I've read about this course for a while, and having the ability to take my time for my first (and definitely not last!) trip through was a treat, and highly recommended!!
The holes were long & challenging. Signage was great; every hole was thoroughly illustrated with flight paths, yardage, and the DIRECTION TO THE NEXT HOLE!! (i will utilize this feature when I open my course, for sure)
Cons: I don't live in Santa Cruz.
My arm cannot produce the type of distance this course requires.
My throwing cannot produce the type of accuracy this course requires.
Oh wait......these are my Cons, not the course's.
This course has no Cons!!
Other Thoughts: The Top of the World hole (last hole, #27) is fantastic. Bring your camera and make sure to yell FORE after you throw, no matter where you've sent it sailing. For me this hole is quite dangerous to everyone else on the course, but that could just be me. I DH mountain bike, so I'm not a puss, but this hole has too many ways to give you the ability to to decapitate someone....not something I've put on my bucket list.
Travel to this course, play it, say that you have, spread the word, and then go back. I know I will!!!

Disc Golfs Pebble Beach

5+    12/13/2011   12/14/2011
Review By: SJ_Chainseeker
This review was updated on 9/9/2012
Pros: Theres nothing this course lacks. Its got it all. Hyzers, An-hyzers, big drives, tunnel shots, rollers if ya got em, elevation-both up and down, great locals, friendly people, I could go on and on, Lets just say that it is a must play course.
Cons: No water, bring ur own. $2 parking fee. Hard to navigate for the first timer, bring a map.
Other Thoughts: Remember the first time you went to Disneyland, that magical feeling that you were someplace special. Thats how you feel here, even after visiting it 100+ times. Its Nate Doss' home course, enough said.

Disc golf the way it should be

2-4    5/28/2011   6/9/2011
Review By: badams
Pros: Excellent variety of shots
Fantastic use of elevation and terrain
Easily located close enough to town.
Helpful and friendly locals.
Multiple places to purchase plastic on site.
Cons: Trash on course (most notably lots of broken glass on the fairway of 2.

Top of the world is a fantastic hole but the group I played with placed one in the parking lot and turned one over into a group on the tee of one. I was informed that the parking area seems to catch quite a few, mostly from those not accustomed to playing on extreme elevation.

Course can be a little difficult to navigate at times, highly suggest printing a map, following a group or playing with locals
Other Thoughts: This course lived up to it's reputation: physically demanding, requiring every shot in the bag, distance, technical, accuracy.

While on paper the course does not seem long it plays long due to holes that play uphill. number 1 starts it out with a hole that appears to be very reachable but always seems to demand an approach shot unless you have a big arm.

there were two new tee pads installed for pro worlds 14 & 15 I think ( maybe wrong) that make the holes more demanding, not through distance but by point of attack and shot selection.

The course demands the best of your game and physical endurance in order to score well so be prepared. I played 2 rounds in one day and knew I had been to DeLaveaga.

On a personal note if you happen to see a local with his dog on a leash (black bulldog terrier type mix), do not go near it it! It bit me on my thigh as I was invited to play through and walked past it. just a little blood.

1    11/22/2010   3/25/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: One of the most unique aspects of the course at DeLaveaga is the use of superfast 'greens' which put a premium on distance control (and good putting for those having to make come-back putts). In combination with the midrange distance of many of the holes (~300-350), definitely exploited one of the major weaknesses in my game in that I do not have a reliable slow, straight midrange shot. I can throw KC Aviars all day to the upper 200's with precision but these shots were just barely out of that range. Needless to say, my next disc up (beatup Star TL's) did not make the cut on the faster greens with a lot of skip aways and shots that went far beyond the hole. Any time a course can exploit such a weakness in my game (and do it multiple times during a single round!), I have major respect for the designer/course. As other reviewers have gone over in detail, this course also maximizes challenges associated with elevation. You will rarely find a hole that doesn't incorporate a large uphill/downhill grade or a sidehill that, in combination with fast greens, forces you to think about where you want to land your disc (as opposed to finally end up).
Cons: While we were visiting, the course was in a bit of transition and one of the traditional holes which plays near the big gulley had been relocated because of erosion to the top of the hill right before the top of the world shot. While there was great signage in getting us to the additional hole, there wasn't any indication that the traditional hole had been pulled so we walked around for quite awhile trying to find the pulled basket. Other than this really minor problem though, we were able to find our way through the course with few major problems. The local players were always more than happy to guide us noob's around and show us where the following holes were. My main con with the design of the course had to do with several holes in which the major obstacle to achieving a good putt was placed directly near the hole - In my opinion this is a poor plan, not because it makes the shot too hard, but in fact that it takes away rewards for accuracy. To be more clear, the problem is when players can use obstacles as distance control instead of their own finesse. As an example, when I played hole #23 I believe, the most probable shot for birdie as I saw it was to land a big sky hyzer IN the large bush that covers the pin. If I were to recreate such a hole (with no pre-existing limitations), I would either place the bush IN FRONT of the hole so as to ensure punishment for shots that were in nacurate or place the bush far enough BEHIND (at least 40') the hole as to punish players who did not properly manage the fast green. In this way, players would be unable to 'game' the hole by using the designer's obstacle as a backstop. As other reviewers have mentioned, the criss-crossing fairways were a bit surprising to find on a course that is 1) so highly acclaimed and 2) so highly utilized. During our round though, it was little more than a surprise, not causing any major inconvenience.
Other Thoughts: Playing DeLaveaga definitely fufilled a DG dream for me (as I guess it does for quite a few golfers). Growing up in the Midwest, I'd heard rumors of "the course" since high school and was so excited to finally get out and play it. While I can understand why this was such an exceptional course for such a long time, I wouldn't go so far as to say that today it is 'best of the best'. At the same time, I'd highly recommend all types of golfers to take the trip out because DeLa has been the benchmark for many golfers of what a great course should be. This along with the storied history of the course and the aura of legend that surrounds it is reason enough to make the trek out!