Santa Cruz, CA
DeLaveaga Park Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #7

Mostly lives up to the hype

2-4    10/22/2009   10/28/2009
Review By: gcoghill
This review was updated on 9/19/2010
Pros: • 27 holes, and most are good if not great
• excellent scenery
• course flows well
• friendly locals
• active disc golfer community at the course
Cons: • a few holes cross over each other
• some holes are confusing
Other Thoughts: I'm keeping this one short and sweet, the other reviews sum it up. It's a great course, and was very cool to see an active disc golfer community at the course.

All the locals were very friendly when I was there. Was great to see DGers of all ages out there playing, and just about all of them knew what they were doing.

There was a bit of confusion on some holes, and hole 17 was removed (although it seemed a killer hole) so that will throw you off a bit. One time through and you'll have it down.

Hole 27 "Top of the World" is indeed a great hole to throw. We even hiked back up to throw again just for fun.

Have to say this is in the top 3 for sure. I'm a big fan of wooded, slightly technical courses and this one was a dream for that factor. You'll need every disc/throw in your bag/arm for De LaVeaga.

I didn't find the course littered as a previous reviewer mentioned. Nor was it overcrowded, but I was there on a weekday afternoon.

I have to go with those who say the course lives up to the hype -- glad I made the trip down to Santa Cruz with my brother while visiting him in San Fran. We both had a blast and agreed it was a great course.

Update 2010-09: Played this course again and wasn't as enthralled with it as I was the first time. Forgot how much of the front nine hugs the main road. Dropping my score to 4.0 from 4.5. After playing Coyote Point at Lake Casitas, there was no way I could give DeLaveaga as a high rating as I did previously.

Best I have played in Cali

2-4    6/10/2009   9/27/2009
Review By: djphilzy
Pros: The course lived up to it's hype! As usual I enjoyed the the nature; I arrived after a heavy rain and the ground was almost dry again! I had a guide for my first round and was able to play a confusion free round. What a nice mixture of heavily wooded fairways and dramatic elevation shots that will leave even big arms worrying that they fell into the poison oak infested canyons!
Cons: I can see where a beginner may have a hard time navigating this course...but the locals are great and they will help you. The last hole, even though it is a must, is sort of a hazard to folks walking up the first couple fairways. But that's no reason to skip it just keep your head up!
Other Thoughts: I loved this course and I will be back!

1    9/11/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: DaKineSurfer32
Pros: - multiple pin positions (ranging from pretty easy to very hard)
- very grippy tee pads, considering the dusty environment
- a good mix between open/wooded holes
- a good mix between flat holes/holes with lots elevation
- Top of the World (27) is a picturesque hole
- Flymart van in the parking lot in case you need to pick up a disc before the round, or grab a snack/drink
Cons: - EXTREME overcrowding, and many holes with backups almost all the time
- a few of the holes overlap, or share fairways (5&6, 13&16, 20&22)... this isn't fun, and adds to slow play and creating backups
- many of the distances on the tee signs are inaccurate, or the sign is just graffiti-ed over (there are however, a few new, laminated signs)
- very dry/dusty, and because of the hills you'll really want something to drink with you
- $2 parking fee
Other Thoughts: There currently is no hole 17 at DeLa, that hole has become 26A, and plays right before Top of the World.

DeLa is easily one of the top courses in the nation. It is a challenge for anyone who steps on tee 1 and worth every second it takes to play it. Some of the views are great, the holes are creative, and it is one of the most respected courses in the nation. That alone should make it worth playing.

The environment can seem a little barren at times, and DeLa is almost always overcrowded, because it's pretty much the only really worthwhile course in the area. So be prepared to play a long, hot round because of all the waiting you'll be doing. It's almost better to come in a group of 4, rather than play in a smaller group, because sometimes passing just isn't an option because there are so many people there, all the time. So bring your friends, but you'll have a blast either way.

August Visit

1    8/9/2009   8/10/2009
Review By: gmoney
Pros: 28 holes with good variety of shots. Great scenery; some wide open shots; others highly technical and everything in between. Final hole is epic, but still a close second in Northern California to Stafford hole #6 in my book. Discs at pro shop and parking lot.
Cons: Crowded and locals are a mixed bunch of friendly and not so. Parking is tough if not arriving early.
Other Thoughts: Definitely one of the best in Northen California, but didn't live up to the hype for me. Broken glass littered many holes. I'll put in it my top five in Nor Cal.

Look Out Below!

1    7/16/2009   7/24/2009
Review By: swatso
Pros:
28 (!) holes. Variety of hole-types and shots needed. Concrete teepads. Signs showing the various basket positions for each hole. Practice basket. Excellent map. Clubhouse ˝ mile away. Area dedicated to disc golf. Baskets #6, tee numbers 20, 23, and 25 are all near the parking lot, if you need to re-load with water - or discs.

Hole #27 needs to be experienced - words don't do it justice. Take a break, sit on the bench for a bit, and enjoy the expansive views you have of the entire course below you, and the forest and hills you can see for miles about you. Imagine the glorious flight of your disc will experience as it glides effortlessly down the long hill. Anticipate with joy as you release your disc into the clear sky, wondering if you'll actually hear the chains being struck so far away. Experience the horror of seeing your normally stable disc get caught in the wind, and begin turning towards basket #5 … no, tee #1 … wait, fairway #6, wondering if they'll hear you yell "fore" from so far away. Relief as your disc settles between basket #6 and tee #1, and then hustling down to make sure nobody finds and makes off with your apparently-abandoned disc!
Cons:
Crossing fairways: #5 plays perpendicular across the midpoint of #6's fairway; #13's and #16's form an X-shape. #20/#22 can interfere with one another. Some basket locations and/or "typical" flight-paths can put some tees at risk - Tee #1, in particular, risks being hit on throws from #6 and #27. An errant throw (may my Squall rest-in-peace - or be found by a deserving soul) on #12 or #15 can end-up in a difficult-to-traverse ravine that contains quite a bit of broken glass.

The current-position marker at each sign was inconsistent - sometimes it was correct, sometimes not, at other times it wasn't set at all! A victim of its popularity - crowds. On a random summer early afternoon, there was already a decent amount of people on the course. Some groups are savvy, and know when to let a single player play past, and others, well not so - twice I had to skip a pair of holes when groups wouldn't let me play through. By the time I left, people were already double-parking in the lot. $2 to park.
Variety of:
- contours: some quite flat, some with very gentle changes in elevation, yet others with extreme up or down
- distances: good drives will sometimes lead to birdie opportunities, sometimes leave you with moderate approach shots, yet sometimes you'll still need to make a fairly-difficult second shot.
- shape of shots: left-turning, right-turning, S-shape, up-n-over, a roller if you care (I'm sure there were other opportunities, but I'm limited in my abilities)
- tightness: a few grip-n-rip drives, but you typically have to deal with trees at some point. Where the trees came into play varied - beginning/mid/end of opening drive, and/or near to the basket - and a few times, the entire length of the hole.

Challenging and fair - there was no hole, practically no shot, where I thought either a) this is too easy, or b) this is impossible. All baskets were accessible, but most every one had a tree, or more, nearby. Very fair fairways- nothing ridiculous. Hole #17 appears to be no more. There is an extra hole between 8/9, and another one between 26/27 (teepad to right as you reach top of ridge, basket farther to the left).

If you find yourself in the Bay area, it is certainly worth making a diversion to play this varied and challenging course- its worth the effort, and with the beach/rides at Santa Cruz not too far away, there are other things to do in the area.

Worth the Pilgrimage

1    4/4/2009   7/14/2009
Review By: Bradshaw
Pros: Breathtaking setting supported by awesome disc golf community.

I simply was in awe and enjoyed every second on the course.

Risk / Reward shots and extreme elevation changes challenge your mental and physical game.

Well worth my journey from the east coast!
Cons: That might be your disc you see 100ft down the ravine.

A couple of errant throws or unkind kicks might have you mountain climbing (which is a Pro) but throwing your disc out of there is undesirable.
Other Thoughts: If you are not local, make the pilgrimage!!!

Not much to add

5+    6/4/2008   7/4/2009
Review By: Mergz
Pros: 27 holes. This course is a great challenge for both pros and ams. There is a great variety of layouts - big open hucks, technical shots throuh wood with OBs, up hill, down hill, blind dog legs. Excellent use of land/ topography. Friendly locals. This is a big fun course that will improve your game for sure.
Cons: Some holes play too close to each other. The course gets crowded.
Other Thoughts: I hear that the number of holes was being reduced from 27 to 18. I hope not.

Loyalty and Experience

1    6/29/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This course is laid out amazingly well in a setting that makes you feel like you have the best of a park course as well as the best of any mountains course. There are some incredible elevation changes. There are great signs at each hole, some that have some great stories behind them and the history of the course. I specifically liked the hole where the old refridgerator used to be. Great variation in types of shots that you will have to play. Everything becomes a good challenge and every bad shot will be punished. There is an incredible local crowd that loves and cares for this course. This course will be a memorable experience no matter how your round goes, especially with thier Top of the World as the last hole.
Cons: There are many holes where you could easily loose a disc if you do not know the terrain very well. You do have to pay to park at this course though it is possible to walk in from somewhere. Even though I was at this course very early in the morning there was a good size crowd there so I would imagine that this course can get super busy and when it gets super busy, watch out for discs flying at you from other holes. I thought there was a lack of consistency amongst tee pads that threw me for a loop once or twice.
Other Thoughts: This is just one of those courses that you have to play. It is really an experience like no other. There is a good chance that you will spend a good bit of time looking for your disc on several holes, which only makes your round that much longer. The better you know this course the better you will fare. The locals take a lot of pride in their course and if you do not show it the respect they think it deserves they will get on your case. You should defiantely throw nothing faster than a mid range off Top of the World. My drive went over the parking lot and through the fairway of 24, oops.

Dela is the Real Deal

5+    5/17/2008   4/27/2009
Review By: Mtn Huckin
Pros: I mean come on.....If you didnt figure it out Dela will test everything you got in the most ridiculous location. Truly EPIC disc golf. On my top five list out of 250 courses. You can play it hundreds of times and learn something every time you go.
Cons: People who smoke on Dela and risk its stability.
Other Thoughts: I would live in Santa Cruz if just to play that course. Its that good!

A B+ Destination Course - A "Must Play!"

2-4    9/19/2003   4/18/2009
Pros: What I like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A+
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- C