Santa Cruz, CA
DeLaveaga Park Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #5

5+    10/29/2008   11/11/2008
Review By: BENFTS
Pros: this place has every type of shot out there, you shoot uphill and downhill. tight shots and open shots that you can throw as hard as you want on.trees are a big factor on all hiles and cliffs come into play on 18 holes on this course. holes 13, 14, 15, are the hardest holes on the course, but the challenge and diversity of these holes represents what de la is.
Cons: santa cruz has now paved the parking lot, while this is nice there are around 15 - 20 less parking spots. $1000.00 fine for smoking anything, so be careful. rangers now come by and often park there truck on or aroud hole 8A and the fairway of 9 and 10. they will get out and walk around these holes and may even come to talk to you.
Other Thoughts: i live in san jose but make it over the hill at least twice a month to play de la. some say it is hard to navigate this course but once you play it more than once. i find this to be the case with all new disc golf courses that i play, you can easily navigate and even try new shots.

Milo without the grass

1    10/15/2008   10/22/2008
Review By: beauzen
Pros: Challenging with a good variety of holes; always fun to throw from an extreme elevation.
Cons: Need to update/improve the signage. Some 'prison' shots.
Other Thoughts: There was work being done on the parking lot, so the course had to be 'modified' somewhat - so there may be a kiosk with maps, etc. but it was difficult to know where to go due to some of the baskets being removed, etc. (I never did find a basket location for #17, I think?). I want to thank the 'disc dude' - the guy sitting on the tailgate of his truck who finds lost discs (and sells others). He retrieved mine from high in a tree and placed in on the windshield of my car while I was still out on the course, and he was gone before I could thank him. Do not use the 'map to course' link on the course page in your GPS, this will most likely take you to the lower park; follow the directions given.

Perfect for a challenge seeker

5+    10/4/2008   10/5/2008
Review By: benpalm
Pros: each hole presents different challenges. there are the long holes where the big drive is advantageous, and there are the shorter holes where accuracy is a must. definitely a great course if you're coming out for a difficult day of disc golf
Cons: unless you've been there before, it's hard to know where to go. also, because of the parking lot construction, some holes are not playable
Other Thoughts: on busier days (saturdays, some weekday afternoons), there is a guy in a smaller white van that sells discs right in the parking lot. he sells new discs (innova, discraft, and others), and he buys and sells used discs. he also has buckets full of lost discs, so if you lost a disc there, it's possible it wound up in one of his buckets. if no one claims the disc after a certain amount of time (i don't know how long, but probably at least a few months), he puts it in the used for sale bucket.

The best I have ever played!

1    9/30/2002   9/30/2008
Review By: oakley doakley
Pros: Hole 27 is the most memorable hole I have ever played. This course really makes you bring your A game. You will need every shot in your bag. The locals were great. Good pro shop. I must for any disc golfer.
Cons: It was crowded, but unlike some courses I never really had it effect the group or I. No really bad water hazards. No golf carts. No beer girl driving around selling beers.
Other Thoughts: It was a while ago when I played this course. But decided it I should review it because it is the BEST COURSE I HAVE EVER PLAYED. There was not a trash problem when I was there. The locals were really great and made the experience even better. Their is some little things that could be better. Overall the best in my book.

Disc Golf Epicenter

1    9/5/2008   9/5/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: This place is the epicenter. I loved this course. The two holes I actually birdied I will cherish forever due to the uncompromising challenge on every hole. Dela has Crazy up hills, dog legging down hills. The course is in a beautiful setting surrounded with huge trees that make tunnels and guard baskets. I love standing on a tee box and thinking, looking into my bag and wondering, "Do I have the confidence to pull this shot off?" It never stops, there is not a throw away hole on the entire course.

This course is hard, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The holes are not unreachable either, they provide a doable challenge that keep your interest from one to twenty-seven. I feel that the layout has not been given enough props. 27 holes that sort of make a four nine hole loops from the parking lot meaning that you could easily skip part and play just one part and be back in the parking lot, and not have to follow the herd. Another impressive feat is that they have managed to accomplish all this beauty on donations. If charging were mandatory, then I feel they could have better signs and tee pads.

So many great holes, it is hard to figure out what ones I like that most, aside from the top of the world hole, which is the best hole I have ever played. 26A is a beauty, with a dangerous drop off, in fact there are dangerous drop offs present throughout. I only wish that I could play this course everyday. I do not think I would ever grow tired of it and for that reason, I am totally jealous of all the people of Santa Cruz.
Cons: There has been a lot mentioned about the 'trashyness' of this place, and as much as I wish I could deny it, I cannot. Plus I cannot not forgive them for claiming to be the best yet not updating their map to show that 17 is missing and 26A is in place. Honestly though, the people and the "scene" of it make up for it completely. Open your mouth get out of your shell and ask one local and they'd be glad to help you. I struggled with my rating for this course, wanting to give it a 5, yet knowing that these flaws exist. If I could give it a 4.75 I would, in the end I just feel that the challenge and uniqueness if every single hole deserve a five.
Other Thoughts: The scene at the parking lot made me feel that I was in the most popular disc golf course in the world. It is a party, a celebration of the sport I love. I felt like a tourist, I bought a stamped De Laveaga disc in the parking lot from a prominent local pros dad, if they had other tourist things like those you'd find in a tourist trap gift shop I would have bought them too because I was so excited to be there, and play a round of challenging golf on such a famous course. Ever since I started traveling to play disc golf people have told me to come here. Now that I been here, I can say it is the best course I have ever played (as of, 9-5-08).

Recommended, but not the best

1    7/11/2008   7/22/2008
Review By: ERicJ
This review was updated on 8/11/2008
Pros:
Nice pro-shop with discs for sale. Large variety of shots required to compete on the course. Good terrain mix, with lots of elevation changes. Friendly locals. Awesome practice basket with bricks marking distances from 10'-40'. Best I've seen of that. #27 signature "top of the world" hole is a great view of the basket (and easy to lose a disc with a RHBH throw that hyzer's too much).
Cons:
For a supposedly legendary course I thought it felt kinda trashy, the tee signs were in need of repair, there was trash about, there were old sofas sitting out in the open. Basket #17 has been removed due to erosion and there's no sign saying that. The tee sign for #17 is also gone, so you could waste some time wondering what happened and looking around for naught. Several crossing fairways. Multiple pin positions indicated on the tee signs, but not all signs have distances for all pins. "Current pin" pinwheels on the tee posts may or may not be correct. Some blind holes not very accurately represented on tee sign maps. A temporary con but, road construction made it somewhat difficult to find the park.
Hole #8A was added between #8 & #9. That's noted on the DGCR course map as the "?" hole. The basket removed from #17 was moved to make a new hole between #26 & #27 called "#26A". This hole is not noted on the DGCR map. When we played in July the ground was very dry and hard which produced a lot of skipping discs. It was a nice course, but I didn't get that overwhelming "ohhh-ahhh" that I was expecting from the reputation this course has.

Maby one of the best

1    7/11/2008   7/21/2008
Review By: humchris85
This review was updated on 8/11/2008
Pros: -Open and tight holes while not too open on the open ones and not too tight on the tight ones
-Tunnel holes
-Distance
-Left and Right handed holes
-Uses every shot in your bag
-Hole 27 "Top of the World" is one of the most amazing shots in disc golf
-Friendly Locals
-Great Variety
-Concrete tee pads
-Signs
-Baskets
-There's a guy with a van in the parking lot that sells drinks, snacks and discs, both used and new at good prices.
Cons: -Some tee pads getting old and beat up
-One hole is completly blind (though I almost aced it)
-A few holes are not the best, but when you have 27, one or two being ok is not too bad
Other Thoughts: This course is rated as one of the best in the world, but I still think that there is room for improvement. The tees on some holes being worn out is just a fact of life when you have a course that gets as much use as this one.

I would recomend this course to anyone traveling through the area.

Quite disappointing

6/30/2008   7/2/2008
Review By: Caribbeing
Pros: Very long, so it's good for those who like to really haul off and throw it. I think this course might be a lot of fun once you know it very well, but it's definitely unfriendly to newcomers.
Cons: Poor signage. In many cases, it's really impossible to figure out where the basket is, unless you ask someone.

Very crowded, even at 2:00 on a Monday afternoon.

Dusty, hard fairways mean that discs skip and fly far beyond what you'd expect.

Finally, a number of holes are next to a deep gorge, which means a poor throw results in a dangerous climb down a steep hill to retrieve your disc.

This course is very difficult, really to point of being not fun. I like a challenge, but unless you know this course inside-out, forget it - don't even bother to keep score. Many baskets are placed in the middle of a clump of trees - there is simply no way to get a decent score.

Also, some of the other reviews talk about how scenic it is. I didn't see it. I brought my camera, and I didn't take a single picture. There's nothing striking or beautiful, other than the ball golf course you drive through to get to the disc golf course.

I'd heard about this course and read the reviews on this website, but it's not worth it. I've played many other courses that were far superior to this one.

I'm sure I'll get poor ratings from people who play this course a lot, but if you've played at any other well-regarded courses, you know that this one is good but definitely not great.

Not quite up to expectation

6/27/2008   7/1/2008
Review By: SmileyMax@aol.com
Pros: Amazing variation of shots, with a number of challenging holes utilizing length, and pin placement. Some good fairways and very nice elevation change.

Locals seem quite helpful as well.

Very challenging
Cons: Not quite what I had expected. There were way to many holes that just seemed like gamble shots with very little to absolutely NO fairway. I personally don't see PRISON pin locations as golf holes. There were are 4 rather short holes that had basically no possible line to hit basket no matter how amazing a shot you had, and thus seems like poor holes to me. Even with a stunning shot, it still feels like pulling on a slot machine hoping you don't hit a tree. There is a couple of blind holes with VERY VERY poor tee signs... they would be completely impossible to find and play without a local guide or some extensive searching. Maybe after playing the course a few times this would be seen differently.

There are also a couple of crossing fairways, and on big crush holes too. There is lots of traffic and many blind holes, had to send out spotters and many holes and had people playing into us on about 5 holes because they didn't send out spotters.
Other Thoughts: Again, not exactly what I had expected, but after played a few times I'm sure it is an awesome place to play.

The best in CA.

5+    4/24/2008   4/28/2008
Review By: JHern
This review was updated on 2/16/2011
Pros: Beautiful course, in one of the most ideal disc golf settings imaginable. Big Monterey pines and scrubby oaks along a ridge-line with deep inscribed canyons make up the natural backdrop of the course, all of which look down over the city of Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay. Simply gorgeous. There are at least a dozen epic ocean views at various spots on the course, if one pays attention.

The challenge here is amazing. Mistakes are punished brutally in subsequent throws...e.g., stray only a few feet off the fairway into the big trees on most of the holes, and you'll be hard pressed to have a subsequent upshot at the pin.

The variety of shots on this course is wonderful. You'll find just about every kind of throw will be needed just to stay at par. Uphill, downhill, right, left, flat, open, tight, tunnel, gut shots, low ceilings, you name it. Nevertheless, the route to perfection is possible, and each hole tantalizes the player with the possibility for that perfect shot off the tee.

Hole 13 is the most difficult "par 3" I've ever seen. The locals call it "I-5" as one is lucky to get there in 5 throws. If you have a big arm, try to hyzer a shot into the trees and get a big skip back toward the tee. Otherwise lay up in the meadow and try to navigate the oak limbs.

The old school locals and the Club at DeLaveaga are of course legendary, you'll run into numerous world champions, disc golf hall of famers, disc golf professors, and everything in between. The distance of the park from the city center ensures that only disc golfers will be encountered up here, so it is a bit like a disc golf nation. Good stuff. Lots of different age groups play at DeLaveaga, from under 10 to over 80 years old!

UPDATE, February 2011: New tees on holes 1, 5, 14, 15, 26, and 26a, and lots of new erosion control, wood chips, retention walls being installed. The course is getting a huge makeover for the 2011 PDGA Pro Worlds.
Cons: Some of the holes are thrown in seemingly as afterthoughts, in order to connect one hole to the next. But these still offer great play.

The only drawback I can possibly think of is that the park road figures prominently in vicinity to most of the holes/fairways/baskets, so one's peace is a bit disturbed by cars going to and fro, and the ever-present OB hazard of the road itself is a bit annoying, even if adding to the challenge (I would prefer if it were a river instead). But it is hard to think of anything that could realistically be done about it.
Other Thoughts: I would rate this course a 5, but I must hold out and think there will be an even better course out there somewhere...at least, that is the way it seems in my dreams.