Ferndale, WA
VanderYacht Park Share
Uploaded By: ChampViking Hole #5 (Taken 11/2009)

This is my home course.

5+    7/28/2013   7/30/2013
Review By: Crossbowdan29
Pros: For Whatcom county this course rivals Cornwall.
1. The putting green is a great idea and makes a nice place for working the short game and warming up.

2. As nice as this course is most days it is a ghost town.This may sopund odd as a pro but hear me out, anyone who has had to wait for two or three groups to finish a hole ahead will understand what I am saying. Most days there are only a few players a day not counting sunday doubles.

3. This course really forces you to know your disc before you attempt your shot. The river and pond water hazards are brutal and unforgiving of mistkes and wild throws.

4. Teepads are rubber and well cleared for good footing while driving.

5. Disc catchers are brand new innova brand
with a lot of ace stickers on some.

6. There are a lot of alts for this course. If you are learning this course there are many alts to do that cut the major water hazards out.
Cons: 1. After 8 am the wind picks up and is pretty constant till about an hour befor sunset. If you dont like wind you will hate this course.

2. As much as I hate to say it the dog walkers, are a problem. Dont get me wrong I dont mind holding a shot for walkers or folks crossing fairways. My beef is with the people who pull up let there dog mark the tee and crap on the green and walk away like the animals mess is not their problem. last I checked its an off leash area but the one rule is scoop your poop.

3. You must know your disc. What I like and find challenging at this course a lot of folks hate. The river and the pond will swallow a disc and you have no chance of retrieval.

Other Thoughts: This is my home course. I have spent many a day learning how to shoot it and adjust for the wind. if you are looking for somthing a little different this is the course for you. Most weekends I will probable see you there. With Cornwall temporarilly missing several disc catchers I have met several players checking this course out for the first time. this one is worth checking out.

Cheers - Dan

Peaceful Practice Park

1    7/14/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: whatcomhucker
Pros: A couple long fairways (500-700ft) are great for practicing your long drives.

No crowd compared to the usually busy Cornwall in Bellingham.

2 Practice baskets in the picnic area were a great idea. Good for warm-up/practice/goofing around.
Cons: Not much variety, mostly just hucking across the field.

Lack of signage makes the first several holes a bit confusing.

Nearby river and a pond put your discs at risk if you're a novice like me. I skipped a couple for fear of losing a disc.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice quiet park. When I was there it was just me and some folks going for a jog or walking their dogs. It's a great place to practice putts and long drives but as a course it's pretty plain. I'm still not sure the exact order of the first few holes that kind of go back and forth across the smaller field.

Bellinghamsters should check it out if only for the opportunity to play at a more leisured pace and get more throws in compared to a day at Cornwall.

Water hazard leaned the hard way

1    12/27/2011   1/6/2012
Review By: northwestblazinfire
Pros: Open
Awesome pratice baskets set up
some cool looks, Over the pond
some big shots
well maintained with good tee pads if its dry
nice baskets
Cons: Kinda simple
Not enough trees or too open
very soggy
does not live up to the lands potential
Other Thoughts: Good open field practice, i really like the putting baskets, that should taken into considertaion when planning any serious course. overall this course is about a par

Fair Course for locals. Not worth the effort for travelers

5+    6/8/2011   6/8/2011
Review By: WA KID
Pros: Little to None course Traffic. Decent Distance on majority of Back Teepads. Good course for wind practice.(In Whatcom Wind Practice can be hard to find lol) Great Baskets and Practice Baskets.
Cons: Soggy 2/3 the year it seems. The only obstuctions or hazards are barely used and not well either. Most Potential land for decent holes not used up. Don't know why. Front 4 same shot over and over. Gets old and boring ehhh? lol.Tall grass and overgrown edges of the fairway make playing the course take foreverr.
Other Thoughts: It's too bad the baskets can't get relocated to somewhere with more potential and for that matter any potential at all. The only time this course is fun is in the Summer while playing an alternate course called "The Dark Course" :D

1    9/10/2010   11/10/2010
Review By: geezergolfer
Pros: The grounds were freshly mowed and we had a sunny day. This course offers some good opportunities for distance throwing as well as some need for some short tactical shots near water.
Cons: This course would do well to create a map and tee off posts.

VanderYacht Park Ferndale, WA

5+    5/5/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: junchieve
Pros: In the summer of 09 me and my buddy played here almost everyday. The biggest Pro in my book is the fact you never have to wait on anyone. If you like to wait behind 3 groups go to cornwall. That fact alone negates pretty much all the other cons. Yes, this course is very wide open, but I try to take advantage of this. If there was ever a course to practice drives this would be it. You could throw all your discs and there would be no one waiting behind you.
Cons: DO NOT PLAY HERE IN THE WINTER/FALL/EARLY SPRING YOU WILL BE DISSAPPOINTED. One thing you have to understand is that this area of Ferndale floods every year, so that means that the park will be flooded every year. I came out here early March and conditions were finally starting to dry up. Little advise don't play hole 8/17, just skip it, TRUST ME. There are times where you have to wait on dogs and other people but its not that bad.
Other Thoughts: Overall I really like this. Not because it's a technical course (it's not) but because I have the opportunity to practice without having people waiting on you. Now if you want more technical then go to cornwall 10 miles away, in fact I hope you do because then if leaves the course wide open for me :)

Is it a recreational or a demanding course?

1    1/16/2010   1/19/2010
Pros: Great new Discatcher baskets with the yellow band on top. Two rubber Flypad teepads on each hole for longs and shorts. They didn't change the difficulty of the hole all that much, usually just made it longer. I agree with previous reviewers who commented that the designers couldn't decide whether they wanted a family/beginner or a longer course for the more advanced player. Instead, they have a course which is too long for beginners/families to enjoy and too open and simple for more advanced players to really find to their liking. Only the two holes near the parking lot have any trees to contend with. There is not one, but two, practice baskets. Personally, I would pull one of these and make another hole somehow shortening # 8 and # 9. # 8 is altogether too difficult of a hole for this course and # 9 is just long and boring. On the other hand, I really liked # 7 where from the long tee, you're throwing across the pond. It's short enough that most every recreational player or better can clear it with no worries but still provides that little rush for some of us wienie armed old men. Probably just for me and the 10 year old girls. # 8 is a monster hole for anyone. It plays to a very narrow fairway with a thick brush OB on the left and the length of the pond on the right. Even from the shorts, I decided the risk/reward was not worth risking losing my driver. # 1 is another scary throw with the Nooksack river on your right side the entire fairway.
Cons: There are no signs anywhere. I debated a while whether to start south or north of the parking lot. Finally, I went the right way and played north. The course was easy enough to follow. I saw no numbers on the rubber pads. That would have helped me. Spring for some stick on numbers or at the very least, how about a club member with a sharpie writes the number on the basket somewhere. The day I played, some of the course was standing water. # 2, 3 and 4 had much standing water as well as # 9. I don't know how much rain they've had up there. I was thinking about calling this a three seasons course but maybe I was there after much rainfall.
Other Thoughts: I found for me, many of these holes very easy to par, but too long for me to birdie (I'm only throwing about 275'). I think for this reason and the openness of it, I would quickly tire of playing here.

Ridiculously awful

1    1/6/2010   1/6/2010
Review By: Bobbily
Pros: Baskets. One reasonable disc golf hole. That is truly all I can come up with.
Cons: Where do I start. Picture putting a basket in the middle of an open field. Now through at it 9 times. There you have this disc golf course. There is literally one or two obstacles on the entire course!! And I can name them. The tree on 5 and the pond on 8. This course is not worth the 2 minutes drive from the interstate. Just go to Cornwall instead, or better yet, Mossy Roc.
Other Thoughts: Wow, I don't get why this is rated above a 2 by anyone... This is not disc golf. I have a target I can put in the middle of the soccer field behind my house and have the exact amount of fun.
I heard its a new course, well, its gonna need a LOT of work before its even passable.

Context to 11/26/09 Pics.

5+    2/17/2013   12/4/2009
Review By: ChampViking
This review was updated on 2/22/2013
Pros: Update to my review after multiple rounds over multiple years:
Currently longest holes in greater Bellingham area, NSRA likely has a few longer holes. No wait times or crowds at all, rarely is one waiting for dogs or fellow park users walking on trails - which only comes into play on half of the course on the well maintained trail which link holes 5-9. I sometimes have as much fun playing putting games on the two Discatcher Pro practice baskets that are semi protected from the wind by a semicircle of trees. Views of the grain plant and great sun exposure provide some unique feel to this course.
Cons: #1 is Dog Poop. Close #2 is flooding and Close #3 is the teepads. The T-pads that are made of rubber are now dangerous due to the incredible moisture around this course, and I no longer use them, The thick grass stays marshy after a flood, and there is a seasonal pond that develops near the permanent pond which is a hazard for hole 7 (optional) and 8 (very possible to go in that pond off either tee). I have yet to get a call back on any of my multiple disc's I have sacrificed to the pond, and have observed fellows swimming in this "no swimming pond" retrieving discs. It is often difficult to locate discs in the times when the fields are not mowed, which is typically whenever the pond is present. VanDerYacht lacks seclusion of any kind and the fact that there are a few homes lining portions of the course always makes me feel like I'm being observed like a stranger in someone's neighborhood, and not left alone or welcomed like an Oregon neighborhood course like Rockwell or Westmoreland.
Other Thoughts: I vote we ask to pull the rubber mats that are used as T-pads and replace it with Gravel. Hole 8 plays quite punishing with brambles on the left and pond on the right. Some of these holes feel like throwing in an open field to a randomly placed basket. You many have to sacrifice a disc to the fenced in yard of a homeowner off right side of hole 2 if you go too wide. I enjoy the straight shot of hole 1 . Throwing around the tree on hole 4 gives this course some character. You will notice the houses built on cement columns nearest the course when arriving, testament to the mighty Nooksack river which is accessible at this course and floods this course yearly. This course has little in the way of elevation, similar to Cornwall park. One of the saving graces of this course may be it's close proximity to Riverside Disc golf course on the opposite side of the same river.

More disc golf in Whatcom Co,

1    9/7/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: bananaco
Pros: A well manicured course for how new it is. Tee pads are all thick rubber mats and the baskets are new Discatchers. Wide open fairways are nice! Much appreciated after playing a technical course like Mossy Roc. You can chuck your disc real hard and not have to worry about losing it in the rough. The holes are laid out so there is little conflict with other park users. I am an experienced player and had fun and so did my girlfriend who is just learning. The course is big enough and the holes are long enough to keep players spread out.
Cons: The water hole (10?) A pond sits to the right and there are trees on the left. Also there is a path the entire legnth of the fairway. This hole could be moved in my opinion (its a big park). There was a dude skimming discs out of the pond and he was going to start a small business from it.
Other Thoughts: This is a good addition to the other courses in the county. Whether you are an ace or a beginner you will have a fun game. I live in Bellingham and think it is worth the drive once in a while. I hope to see more players out there nest time.

Props to the designers.