This is my home course.
2 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: For Whatcom county this course rivals Cornwall.
1. The putting green is a great idea and makes a nice place for working the short game and warming up.
2. As nice as this course is most days it is a ghost town.This may sopund odd as a pro but hear me out, anyone who has had to wait for two or three groups to finish a hole ahead will understand what I am saying. Most days there are only a few players a day not counting sunday doubles.
3. This course really forces you to know your disc before you attempt your shot. The river and pond water hazards are brutal and unforgiving of mistkes and wild throws.
4. Teepads are rubber and well cleared for good footing while driving.
5. Disc catchers are brand new innova brand
with a lot of ace stickers on some.
6. There are a lot of alts for this course. If you are learning this course there are many alts to do that cut the major water hazards out.
Cons: 1. After 8 am the wind picks up and is pretty constant till about an hour befor sunset. If you dont like wind you will hate this course.
2. As much as I hate to say it the dog walkers, are a problem. Dont get me wrong I dont mind holding a shot for walkers or folks crossing fairways. My beef is with the people who pull up let there dog mark the tee and crap on the green and walk away like the animals mess is not their problem. last I checked its an off leash area but the one rule is scoop your poop.
3. You must know your disc. What I like and find challenging at this course a lot of folks hate. The river and the pond will swallow a disc and you have no chance of retrieval.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course. I have spent many a day learning how to shoot it and adjust for the wind. if you are looking for somthing a little different this is the course for you. Most weekends I will probable see you there. With Cornwall temporarilly missing several disc catchers I have met several players checking this course out for the first time. this one is worth checking out.
Cheers - Dan
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 5 Not
Pros: The grounds were freshly mowed and we had a sunny day. This course offers some good opportunities for distance throwing as well as some need for some short tactical shots near water.
Cons: This course would do well to create a map and tee off posts.
1 of 6 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 2 Not
VanderYacht Park Ferndale, WA
Pros: In the summer of 09 me and my buddy played here almost everyday. The biggest Pro in my book is the fact you never have to wait on anyone. If you like to wait behind 3 groups go to cornwall. That fact alone negates pretty much all the other cons. Yes, this course is very wide open, but I try to take advantage of this. If there was ever a course to practice drives this would be it. You could throw all your discs and there would be no one waiting behind you.
Cons: DO NOT PLAY HERE IN THE WINTER/FALL/EARLY SPRING YOU WILL BE DISSAPPOINTED. One thing you have to understand is that this area of Ferndale floods every year, so that means that the park will be flooded every year. I came out here early March and conditions were finally starting to dry up. Little advise don't play hole 8/17, just skip it, TRUST ME. There are times where you have to wait on dogs and other people but its not that bad.
Other Thoughts: Overall I really like this. Not because it's a technical course (it's not) but because I have the opportunity to practice without having people waiting on you. Now if you want more technical then go to cornwall 10 miles away, in fact I hope you do because then if leaves the course wide open for me :)
3 of 5 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 3 Not
More disc golf in Whatcom Co,
Pros: A well manicured course for how new it is. Tee pads are all thick rubber mats and the baskets are new Discatchers. Wide open fairways are nice! Much appreciated after playing a technical course like Mossy Roc. You can chuck your disc real hard and not have to worry about losing it in the rough. The holes are laid out so there is little conflict with other park users. I am an experienced player and had fun and so did my girlfriend who is just learning. The course is big enough and the holes are long enough to keep players spread out.
Cons: The water hole (10?) A pond sits to the right and there are trees on the left. Also there is a path the entire legnth of the fairway. This hole could be moved in my opinion (its a big park). There was a dude skimming discs out of the pond and he was going to start a small business from it.
Other Thoughts: This is a good addition to the other courses in the county. Whether you are an ace or a beginner you will have a fun game. I live in Bellingham and think it is worth the drive once in a while. I hope to see more players out there nest time.
Props to the designers.
4 of 7 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.