Asheville, NC
UNC Asheville DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #1 (Taken 4/2010)
-- / -- Par / Distance:

You might be pleasantly surprised

5+    10/5/2014   10/9/2014
Review By: splatbaseball51
Pros: This course is pleasantly surprising for a number of reasons. Yeah, it's only 6 holes, but they are actually pretty fun. Most courses like this are bad enough that you only feel like playing it once and walking away. I found myself actually playing this one 2-3 times through each time.

To be on such a small plot of land and only 6 holes, there are actually a few you probably need drivers on. It's not going to be a cakewalk out there.

Every shot is pretty much straight ahead, but they utilize elevation changes pretty effectively. 2-3 mostly flat, 2 uphill, 1 downhill.

Distance isn't overly long or short. A pretty average length on most holes, but the uphill shots play fairly long. Like I said, you'll need drivers for these shots.

Tee pads are actually pretty nice and in good shape. I'm surprised that a 6 hole course even went to the trouble of having tee pads, but it's a nice addition.

Hole 5 is actually pretty cool and probably the only thing you'll remember from the experience. It's a nice little downhill putter shot that would make a sweet little ace. In fact, you'll have several chances for aces out there.
Cons: There are way to many chances to lose discs. The undergrowth out here is pretty atrocious and will easily swallow a few. There is even a watery/marsh hazard on hole 2 to be wary of. Thick thick stuff.

Very little variety outside of up/down shots. No big dog legs, no tunnel shots, just a lot of underbrush in a mostly open atmosphere with a few large trees here or there.

There is a chance, since you'll likely need a driver, that you'll hit a car on hole 4 if you aren't careful. The basket is situated very close to the parking lot at the top of the hill and I've had my disc end up there on several occasions. Be aware of that.

Hole 5 tee pad is inside the parking lot. Typically students are kind enough to not park in the designated spot, however I have seen it occupied before and can't say I blame them (I was a student at UNCA and know how precious those parking spots are). You might find you'll have to shoot from in front of the spot on the grass.

Navigation is average. You may or may not have troubles, depending on how lucky you get. Depending on where you park, you'll want to walk to the opening of the park with a smoking circle designation. It's directly off of the main road on campus, not the parking lot where hole 5 is. From there, walk down the hill to the right to find hole 1. A few navigation signs would definitely help someone getting around for the first time.
Other Thoughts: The course could benefit a lot from expanding to the land across the road. In fact, I was part of that effort during my tenure on campus, however due to logistical issues the plan was scrapped. I sure hope they'd reconsider adding additional holes across the street in order to get a full 18 in.

If you have 20 minutes to kill and want to chuck some plastic, it's not a bad little course to be only 6 holes. Don't expect a lot of challenge, and half expect to lose a disc, but you should at least have a little fun.

Serviceable for Just 6 Holes

1    3/29/2014   3/29/2014
Review By: S.Cann
Pros: UNC Asheville DGC is a 6 hole course nestled in in a valley in the middle of campus.

-Baskets are DISCatchers with double chains and are all in good shape.
-Short, scenic course with a couple of small ponds, bridges, a shelter, fire pit and a stone wall on the right side of hole 1's fairway.
-Elevation is very well used. You have down hill shots, uphill shots, and pins positioned on the side of a hill which prevents the course from being redundant or boring.
-Great fairways that are lightly to moderately wooded.
-Hole 5 is a very fun downhill shot that plays from a parking space with "Disc Golf" painted on it. Cars noticeably skipped parking in this space.
Cons: -The course being only 6 holes is a definite con. This course could be upgraded significantly if expanded to 18 holes and crossing the road to incorporate more land.
-When I was there it appeared that it had recently been bush hogged, therefore the grass was cut low, but I could definitely see how this course could quickly become overgrown and be a nightmare in the Summer.
-The rubber pads nailed to plywood were very slick. Hole 2's rubber pad was missing (you teed off from the plywood) and Hole 4's tee pad was missing altogether.
-Several fairways were very muddy.
-This course did not have that secluded feel that I really wanted it to have. It's sandwiched in a valley between two campus roads and therefore there are always people around.
-No real opportunities to open up and throw a long drive, but the tee pads were so slick that I threw everything from a standstill anyway.
Other Thoughts: UNC Asheville is probably the best course I have played with less than 9 holes. All pins were very well placed and the small space that the course is placed on was incredibly well-utilized. It's probably good that there are only 6 holes because I feel that 9 holes would be overly crowded unless other tracts of land were used.

Great course if they just ran a lawn mower through it!

1    1/19/2014   1/19/2014
Review By: LeeLK
Pros: Decent tees (it's supposed to be 5 rubber and one from a parking lot, but the rubber is gone from #2). All baskets in great shape. Decent hole design.
Cons: 6 holes! This course is just a tease. Besides that, the course is way overgrown and unkept, with a couple of disc-eating fairways.
Other Thoughts: With a good mowing, this would be a reasonable course, albeit 1/3rd the length you'd prefer.

No longer good

1    8/6/2013   8/6/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Well, it doesn't take much space and it ends where it starts. I realize that it has been good and still has potential to be a nice, quick 6 hole course. It's close to the college campus and you probably will see some very pretty college girls by the time you get to hole 4.
-#5 is a great, straight downhill ace run about 230' feet long. It's easily the best on the course. The tee is in the parking lot but the locals are considerate of the course and do not park on the tee so it's all good.
Cons: -Neglected, neglected, neglected. There is no maintenance here AT ALL. Every hole has a very high lost disc factor. I lost a purple prodigy midrange on #1 and really want it back. It's so bad out here and I was desperate for the snake kings from the Christian movie "Courageous" to kill the possible snakes out here. I didn't see any but I'm a lucky guy. I never find snakes no matter what. BUT, I got cut up pretty well while I was looking for my midrange. I felt like an emo person with all of those cuts on my arms and legs.
-Navigation is a problem here. It took me at least 20 minutes to find hole 3. It's a very overgrown steep uphill shot about 250' but plays a bit over 300. I never found #4's tee. What I do know is that it's a real gimmick as it is very close to the parking lot. I felt like skipping it and playing hole 5 twice because THAT'S THE ONLY GOOD HOLE ON THE COURSE! There was a "next tee" arrow on the transition from 1 to 2 and it just felt like the designers wanted to stop making next tee signs after that. After you finish #2, go straight ahead toward the woods and you will find the third tee pad. Just skip #3 and #4 because hole 3 is in the worst shape and I have no idea where 4's is. Or you could just create your own #4. I seriously recommend you play #5 over and over. Weedeating needs to occur on that hole but it only plays maybe 150' due to an elevation drop of maybe 30 ft.
-#4 is gimmicky and very messy. I'm sure it's over the parking lot or way too close. If you land just a bit to the right, you better pray it is on the path on the left that brings you to the basket. You have to walk down the whole fairway to get to the teepad. Take a left once you get to the basket if you REALLY want to know where the mystery teepad is. If you don't land on the trail to hole 4 which is only 10 feet behind the basket and to the right, you're disc is a goner. I recommend you skip that hole and play hole 5. Not to mention hole 3 doesn't have a legit lane to the basket that promises you that you won't lose a disc.
-My parents dropped me off here because I didn't want to shop for 45 minutes. I think I should've gone with them because I still would have had my favorite midrange.
-No tee signs or next tee arrows in exception to the next tee arrow from 1 to 2. Every basket is visible from the tee except #2 because the tee shot is blocked by weeds. Estimated lengths would be 225', 240', 250', 285' from the tee I "made up", 235' and 190. It's a pretty straightforward course but it needs work to be like the way it was a few years ago. It can be saved!
Other Thoughts: What a shame. This course is almost unplayable. If it's not going to be worked on anymore, then there is no point in keeping it here when it can be saved with a little, okay a lot, a whole lot of weed eating and development of tee signs and if someone could make some "next tee" signs on confusing transitions. Like 3 to 4. This course would be saved but right now, it's in terrible shape and desperately needs to be finished. People are going to be out here and will not be satisfied at all if no locals will work out here. I know I sound inconsiderate and rude but I don't live up here and can't do anything about how overgrown it is right now. Many trusted reviewers will really rant about UNC Asheville's overgrowth. I won't bother coming back here. At least Richmond Hill is close by. Just go there. I'm sorry to say this but if it wasn't for #5. I'd give this place a 0.0. Don't come here in the summer EVER. It's so rough out here. It's probably better in the winter. Just hope that it will get better and actually finished.

Do not play

5+    10/18/2012   10/18/2012
Review By: OwRuth1
Pros: Short, doesn't eat your time.
Cons: However it eats discs! I will never play this course again. yesterday I lost a star Vulcan and almost lost 3 others (15 minutes to find each disc). Let me say this was not due to poor shots but to the terribly maintained course and the hellish rough.
Other Thoughts: I you really want to play take the extra 5 minutes it would take to get to Richmond hill.

Six Quick Fun Holes

1    4/8/2011   4/9/2011
Review By: tick
Pros: A nice pleasant little course perfect for a few quick holes between classes. Although short, there is good challenge, good balance and a good use of elevation change. A fine course for skill developement. The rough is rough, but not punishing. After getting started properly the flow is pretty easy to follow, with baskets visible from the tees, and next tee visible from most baskets. The baskets are like new Discatchers. The tees are nice grippy rubber mats on plywood. I'm told that next week another 12 holes will be installed - a big positive!
Cons: This is a single track course with one teepad and one goal per hole. Although there is a small pond to the right of hole #2, it won't come into play except with an extremely errant shot. Perhaps a tee could be developed to put that water into the mix. There were no signs, no toilets, no benches, no trash cans, no practice basket. The tees are only 4X8 - OK for downhill, but small for the uphill drives. The mat on tee #2 was torn off and in the weeds. Some other tees were showing wear also.
Other Thoughts: I used a map printed from DGCR, but it really wasn't needed. This is a course for developing skills, not for experienced big arms. But although short, there is enough uphill elevation to allow a bit of stretch for the future serious hucker. If you are rated over 900 you will seriously kick yourself for missing some dueces. Being on a college campus there are bathrooms in nearby buildings, and six short holes are OK without benches, but it would be nice for the visitor like me to have that info posted somewhere. If this were an 18 hole course I would give it a slightly better score, but the primary short comings for me are the similarly short hole lengths, and the lack of amenities. If the new added holes have some length variety, and some signs and benches are added, this course could get a considerably better rating from me.

Short but sweet

5+    2/26/2012   2/18/2011
Review By: ashevillain
This review was updated on 2/26/2012
Pros: - It's a decent little course...probably just a warmup for most people.
- Each hole has it's own challenges.
- The rubber tee pads are OK as long as they are dry.
Cons: - No tee signs.
- No scorecards.
- No map (but a map really isn't necessary, so not too bad of a con).
- Rubber missing from #2 tee pad.

Updated to add: There is an extreme HEAVY carpet of poison ivy starting in April/May. On nearly every hole if you don't hit the fairway you will be in poison ivy! #6 is the worst.
Other Thoughts: I recommend playing this course starting at #5 (you can park pretty much right at the tee which is a parking space itself.)

There is definite room for improvement. I know that UNCA has plans to expand this course in the future. I don't know when that will happen with all of the budget cuts they've had to do recently. For me, if they just expanded to 9 holes, added tee signs and score cards that would be enough to bump it up to a 3. If it were a full 18 with a few more wooded holes to rival Richmond Hill then it would be an easy 3.5 for me.

Surprized

2-4    1/6/2011   1/7/2011
Review By: topflight
Pros: It is right in the middle of a college campus. Quick play, fun shots, some challenge.
Cons: 6 holes. Limited space available. some signs/ directions misleading. one tee box missing the rubber mat.
Other Thoughts: Overall I was a bit leary about playing a 6 holer. I got there and did find that I enjoyed the course, although short and a bit up and down. I played three times - different score each round - I got tired by the third. last time i did math 3 times 6 is 18 right. pretty cool.

Quick fix six

1    11/21/2009   6/7/2010
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
*Elevation changes on every hole. Three holes have significant differentials of 22 to 30 ft. (4 Up/ 2 Down)
*Baskets on slopes. This adds challenge because of the potential for roll aways.
*Fairways are well shaped
*Map. Online. It's average but essential for finding your way.
*The course will draw more college students into this great sport.
Cons:
-Navigation! Do NOT attempt to play here without the map or a guide because you'd have a lot of trouble finding the tees.
-No tee signs! This makes it hard to navigate.
-Lots of poison oak
-Terrain feels kind of scruffy. This is probably because of lots of thick scraggly shule in many places, but even the grass is patchy.
-Fairway variety is low. Too many straight holes. (4 Straight/ 1 Left to right/ 1 Right to left.)
-Length variety is low. The length of the holes were all pretty similar
-Tees were just a bit too short.
-Few amenities. The course is still new, but other than the map there are no restrooms, no score card, no warm up basket, no benches, no trashcans.
Course Level: White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 900.)

My favorite hole- 5. A down then back up shot over a valley that had an elevation drop of 24 ft. (It took me a while to find the tee, though. It's one of the parking spaces in the parking lot.)

If you see tee 5 in the parking lot then it would probably be easier to just start there.

For more information about navigating the course go to "UNC-A course navigation".

I usually feel dissatisfied after playing 6 hole courses, and UNC-A was no exception. It's like going to a restaurant and being served a plate with only 1/3 of a normal portion. Just as you're getting into it you've finished. I wanted more. I know there are limitations, but, like Oliver Twist, I'd like to ask the designers, "May I have some more please?"

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

To have my reviews delivered to your Inbox join the Yahoo group "DG Course Reviews" . More detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are also available there in the Files section.

Fast 6

2-4    4/3/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: Clean, quiet, wooded campus course. Good use of land. All baskets are set on sloping greens. This turns an easy up-shot into a roll away. I like this! It makes you think about how you want to land your disc, not just where. Nice new Innova DisCatchers.
Cons: It's over too quick! There are only 6 holes currently but plans are in for a full 18. I can't wait! The tee pads are too short length-wise for me.
No benches.No tee signs but you dont necessarily need them as there is a path to the next tee already beat in.
Other Thoughts: #5: start here. Parking lot shot. Short downhill shot through large trees. Pin set on hillside facing thrower. Trail behind pin leads to #6.
#6: Short, slightly uphill shot to pin set on sloping green left to right.Heavy shule on right. Select large trees to navigate on left. Next tee is left up hill to keosk area. Look for #1 tee sign & head down hill to #1 tee pad.
#1: Med length, slightly downhill shot.Sloping fairway runs left to right. Heavy shule to right. Two large trees frame the pin. Next tee is to the left & then downhill around to the right.
#2: Med length drive fade slightly uphill at finish to pin. Eco-pond on right side. Do not go into the pond for any reason.
Pin set on sloping green left to right. Next pin straight to road.
#3: Med uphill shot that plays long because of severe elevation change. Low ceiling branches snag discs. One large tree to the left & a group of small trees to the right help guard the pin. Run up onto this tee pad is good. Next tee is left & down the hill.
#4: Another medium length shot that plays long because of elevation change. Steep uphill shot with basket fade right. A couple large trees gurd the left side fairway. A group of small saplings guard the front of the green.
Pin is placed on roll away hillside. Next tee is up the hill in the parking lot.