Asheville, NC
UNC Asheville DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #1 (Taken 4/2010)
-- / -- Par / Distance:

No longer good

1    8/6/2013   8/6/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Well, it doesn't take much space and it ends where it starts. I realize that it has been good and still has potential to be a nice, quick 6 hole course. It's close to the college campus and you probably will see some very pretty college girls by the time you get to hole 4.
-#5 is a great, straight downhill ace run about 230' feet long. It's easily the best on the course. The tee is in the parking lot but the locals are considerate of the course and do not park on the tee so it's all good.
Cons: -Neglected, neglected, neglected. There is no maintenance here AT ALL. Every hole has a very high lost disc factor. I lost a purple prodigy midrange on #1 and really want it back. It's so bad out here and I was desperate for the snake kings from the Christian movie "Courageous" to kill the possible snakes out here. I didn't see any but I'm a lucky guy. I never find snakes no matter what. BUT, I got cut up pretty well while I was looking for my midrange. I felt like an emo person with all of those cuts on my arms and legs.
-Navigation is a problem here. It took me at least 20 minutes to find hole 3. It's a very overgrown steep uphill shot about 250' but plays a bit over 300. I never found #4's tee. What I do know is that it's a real gimmick as it is very close to the parking lot. I felt like skipping it and playing hole 5 twice because THAT'S THE ONLY GOOD HOLE ON THE COURSE! There was a "next tee" arrow on the transition from 1 to 2 and it just felt like the designers wanted to stop making next tee signs after that. After you finish #2, go straight ahead toward the woods and you will find the third tee pad. Just skip #3 and #4 because hole 3 is in the worst shape and I have no idea where 4's is. Or you could just create your own #4. I seriously recommend you play #5 over and over. Weedeating needs to occur on that hole but it only plays maybe 150' due to an elevation drop of maybe 30 ft.
-#4 is gimmicky and very messy. I'm sure it's over the parking lot or way too close. If you land just a bit to the right, you better pray it is on the path on the left that brings you to the basket. You have to walk down the whole fairway to get to the teepad. Take a left once you get to the basket if you REALLY want to know where the mystery teepad is. If you don't land on the trail to hole 4 which is only 10 feet behind the basket and to the right, you're disc is a goner. I recommend you skip that hole and play hole 5. Not to mention hole 3 doesn't have a legit lane to the basket that promises you that you won't lose a disc.
-My parents dropped me off here because I didn't want to shop for 45 minutes. I think I should've gone with them because I still would have had my favorite midrange.
-No tee signs or next tee arrows in exception to the next tee arrow from 1 to 2. Every basket is visible from the tee except #2 because the tee shot is blocked by weeds. Estimated lengths would be 225', 240', 250', 285' from the tee I "made up", 235' and 190. It's a pretty straightforward course but it needs work to be like the way it was a few years ago. It can be saved!
Other Thoughts: What a shame. This course is almost unplayable. If it's not going to be worked on anymore, then there is no point in keeping it here when it can be saved with a little, okay a lot, a whole lot of weed eating and development of tee signs and if someone could make some "next tee" signs on confusing transitions. Like 3 to 4. This course would be saved but right now, it's in terrible shape and desperately needs to be finished. People are going to be out here and will not be satisfied at all if no locals will work out here. I know I sound inconsiderate and rude but I don't live up here and can't do anything about how overgrown it is right now. Many trusted reviewers will really rant about UNC Asheville's overgrowth. I won't bother coming back here. At least Richmond Hill is close by. Just go there. I'm sorry to say this but if it wasn't for #5. I'd give this place a 0.0. Don't come here in the summer EVER. It's so rough out here. It's probably better in the winter. Just hope that it will get better and actually finished.

Do not play

5+    10/18/2012   10/18/2012
Review By: OwRuth1
Pros: Short, doesn't eat your time.
Cons: However it eats discs! I will never play this course again. yesterday I lost a star Vulcan and almost lost 3 others (15 minutes to find each disc). Let me say this was not due to poor shots but to the terribly maintained course and the hellish rough.
Other Thoughts: I you really want to play take the extra 5 minutes it would take to get to Richmond hill.