Asheville, NC
UNC Asheville DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #5 (Taken 4/2010)
-- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #5 Approach

Serviceable for Just 6 Holes

1    3/29/2014   3/29/2014
Review By: S.Cann
Pros: UNC Asheville DGC is a 6 hole course nestled in in a valley in the middle of campus.

-Baskets are DISCatchers with double chains and are all in good shape.
-Short, scenic course with a couple of small ponds, bridges, a shelter, fire pit and a stone wall on the right side of hole 1's fairway.
-Elevation is very well used. You have down hill shots, uphill shots, and pins positioned on the side of a hill which prevents the course from being redundant or boring.
-Great fairways that are lightly to moderately wooded.
-Hole 5 is a very fun downhill shot that plays from a parking space with "Disc Golf" painted on it. Cars noticeably skipped parking in this space.
Cons: -The course being only 6 holes is a definite con. This course could be upgraded significantly if expanded to 18 holes and crossing the road to incorporate more land.
-When I was there it appeared that it had recently been bush hogged, therefore the grass was cut low, but I could definitely see how this course could quickly become overgrown and be a nightmare in the Summer.
-The rubber pads nailed to plywood were very slick. Hole 2's rubber pad was missing (you teed off from the plywood) and Hole 4's tee pad was missing altogether.
-Several fairways were very muddy.
-This course did not have that secluded feel that I really wanted it to have. It's sandwiched in a valley between two campus roads and therefore there are always people around.
-No real opportunities to open up and throw a long drive, but the tee pads were so slick that I threw everything from a standstill anyway.
Other Thoughts: UNC Asheville is probably the best course I have played with less than 9 holes. All pins were very well placed and the small space that the course is placed on was incredibly well-utilized. It's probably good that there are only 6 holes because I feel that 9 holes would be overly crowded unless other tracts of land were used.

Quick fix six

1    11/21/2009   6/7/2010
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
*Elevation changes on every hole. Three holes have significant differentials of 22 to 30 ft. (4 Up/ 2 Down)
*Baskets on slopes. This adds challenge because of the potential for roll aways.
*Fairways are well shaped
*Map. Online. It's average but essential for finding your way.
*The course will draw more college students into this great sport.
Cons:
-Navigation! Do NOT attempt to play here without the map or a guide because you'd have a lot of trouble finding the tees.
-No tee signs! This makes it hard to navigate.
-Lots of poison oak
-Terrain feels kind of scruffy. This is probably because of lots of thick scraggly shule in many places, but even the grass is patchy.
-Fairway variety is low. Too many straight holes. (4 Straight/ 1 Left to right/ 1 Right to left.)
-Length variety is low. The length of the holes were all pretty similar
-Tees were just a bit too short.
-Few amenities. The course is still new, but other than the map there are no restrooms, no score card, no warm up basket, no benches, no trashcans.
Course Level: White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 900.)

My favorite hole- 5. A down then back up shot over a valley that had an elevation drop of 24 ft. (It took me a while to find the tee, though. It's one of the parking spaces in the parking lot.)

If you see tee 5 in the parking lot then it would probably be easier to just start there.

For more information about navigating the course go to "UNC-A course navigation".

I usually feel dissatisfied after playing 6 hole courses, and UNC-A was no exception. It's like going to a restaurant and being served a plate with only 1/3 of a normal portion. Just as you're getting into it you've finished. I wanted more. I know there are limitations, but, like Oliver Twist, I'd like to ask the designers, "May I have some more please?"

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

To have my reviews delivered to your Inbox join the Yahoo group "DG Course Reviews" . More detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are also available there in the Files section.

A work in progress

1    8/25/2009   8/25/2009
Review By: El Oso Peligroso
Pros: Good variety of holes, very nice rubber tee pads. Tight fairway shots that will definitely punish a bad drive.
Cons: No signage, Hole no. 1 hard to find but from there the course flows naturally. All the holes are fairly short.

There is massive underbrush EVERYWHERE! I lost two discs in six holes to the jungle just off the fairway on nearly every hole (although 1 and 6 were the worst, and incidentally where I lost my discs).
Other Thoughts: This is a very new course, and in time I hope it will get better. There are plans for a full 18. Before adding new holes I think they need to spend some time doing something about the underbrush. It's hard to like a course that eats two of your discs over the course of six holes, but the hole layouts themselves weren't bad, although hole #2 should definitely be longer. There's a lot of underutilized room behind the pin. Still, for this course to compete with its almost-next-door neighbor Richmond Hill, it's going to take a lot of work.

As the rest of the holes are put in and more work is done to the course I'll update my review, but for right now, just go to Richmond Hill instead.