Asheville, NC
UNC Asheville DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #1 (Taken 4/2010)
-- / -- Par / Distance:

Great course if they just ran a lawn mower through it!

1    1/19/2014   1/19/2014
Review By: LeeLK
Pros: Decent tees (it's supposed to be 5 rubber and one from a parking lot, but the rubber is gone from #2). All baskets in great shape. Decent hole design.
Cons: 6 holes! This course is just a tease. Besides that, the course is way overgrown and unkept, with a couple of disc-eating fairways.
Other Thoughts: With a good mowing, this would be a reasonable course, albeit 1/3rd the length you'd prefer.

Six Quick Fun Holes

1    4/8/2011   4/9/2011
Review By: tick
Pros: A nice pleasant little course perfect for a few quick holes between classes. Although short, there is good challenge, good balance and a good use of elevation change. A fine course for skill developement. The rough is rough, but not punishing. After getting started properly the flow is pretty easy to follow, with baskets visible from the tees, and next tee visible from most baskets. The baskets are like new Discatchers. The tees are nice grippy rubber mats on plywood. I'm told that next week another 12 holes will be installed - a big positive!
Cons: This is a single track course with one teepad and one goal per hole. Although there is a small pond to the right of hole #2, it won't come into play except with an extremely errant shot. Perhaps a tee could be developed to put that water into the mix. There were no signs, no toilets, no benches, no trash cans, no practice basket. The tees are only 4X8 - OK for downhill, but small for the uphill drives. The mat on tee #2 was torn off and in the weeds. Some other tees were showing wear also.
Other Thoughts: I used a map printed from DGCR, but it really wasn't needed. This is a course for developing skills, not for experienced big arms. But although short, there is enough uphill elevation to allow a bit of stretch for the future serious hucker. If you are rated over 900 you will seriously kick yourself for missing some dueces. Being on a college campus there are bathrooms in nearby buildings, and six short holes are OK without benches, but it would be nice for the visitor like me to have that info posted somewhere. If this were an 18 hole course I would give it a slightly better score, but the primary short comings for me are the similarly short hole lengths, and the lack of amenities. If the new added holes have some length variety, and some signs and benches are added, this course could get a considerably better rating from me.

Surprized

2-4    1/6/2011   1/7/2011
Review By: topflight
Pros: It is right in the middle of a college campus. Quick play, fun shots, some challenge.
Cons: 6 holes. Limited space available. some signs/ directions misleading. one tee box missing the rubber mat.
Other Thoughts: Overall I was a bit leary about playing a 6 holer. I got there and did find that I enjoyed the course, although short and a bit up and down. I played three times - different score each round - I got tired by the third. last time i did math 3 times 6 is 18 right. pretty cool.

Fun 6 hole course

1    4/2/2010   4/2/2010
Review By: Dano
Pros: For 6 holes I really enjoyed the course. Some might think the holes are too short but elevation change on several holes adds enough for me to require a driver. Most holes offer more than one possible route with enough obstacles to fairly punish bad shots. The course is on the UNCA campus and there were alot of peope around but the course is out of the way enough that not too many people were walking thru the course (my experience).
Cons: There is not much in the way of signage but finding the next hole was not a big problem. I liked the tee pad design but they are a little short for me and most did not have even ground behind the pad to make a easy transition. It is only six holes. I know there are plans for a complete 18 but I wonder where they are going to put them. I would imagine it will require a walk and that is when they will require better signage. One pad was a parking space and people will park in the space. I just stood between the cars so it wasn't a real big deal but with no sign it is kind of problem if you are not familiar with the course. When summer comes the rough is going to be pretty rough but hopefully with more play and some work it will be managable.
Other Thoughts: As I said it is only 6 holes but playing it 3 times worked for me. Parking is an issue but I parked in the Botanical Garden's parking lot at the far end of the lot by the exit. If you cross the street and turn left over the bridge you will see a path by the creek. Follow the creek and you will find the tee pad for hole #2, not a far walk. Starting on the #2 works with the flow of the course. No parking hassles with campus security. I am looking forward to more holes. I am sure my rating will increase

Good little new course

1    9/7/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
I was almost going to wait to play this… But, my 'play everything' mindset made me go… Glad I did.

Pros:
-Good shots with great use of elevation. Holes 3, 4, and 5 stood out the most… with Holes 3 and 4 have significant elevation gains (the pins being 15' and 30' feet above the tee), and Hole 5 having a good size elevation loss (25'). Holes 1, 2, and 6 were decent shots, definitely not bad shots.
- This would be a great place to learn. The fairways are FAIR. The gaps are medium to open in size, and the holes are not terribly long, but not terribly short either. All the holes are probably between 180'-250', with the longer holes being uphill… making them feel like 310'.
- This course is going to help expose a lot of students to the game of DG… and with Richmond Hill down the street, this will be a good spot to hone their skills. I hope everyone takes advantage of it, giving the University reason to develop the course further.
Cons:
- Weekends only… Unless you want to get a ticket for parking in the Parking lot (or you're a student). I never saw a machine in the PL to get a 1 day pass either. And, I can't really fathom another way to get there; it's not like you could park out on the street and walk in (bus or bike... maybe?). After 5:30 and Holidays are free too.
- Tee-pads. The tee-pads were just a little too short. And, since the dirt behind a few of them was sloping, it was awkward to start off the back.
- No Signage. However, it's not really needed once you get past Hole 2. All the pins are visible from the tee-pad, and most of the holes have trails leading to the next tee.
- Only six holes. I know there are plans to make more holes in the future… but, as of now it's hard to commit to going there except for the desire to bag another course. And, since it's close to Richmond… that would be easy to do.
- Park in lot across from Zeiss Hall… Take a moment to examine some of the layout from above… this will help navigation later in the round.
- To find hole 1… walk out of the PL and down the sidewalk to the left and across from Robinson Hall. Look for Hole 6's basket… then the Campfire Circle… then walk down the hill to a grassy fairway… tee-pad under some trees.
- To find Hole 2… walk down the grassy trail 50 yards and around a bunch of bushes and dirt mound to the right.
- Because it's only 6 holes… and there are no signs… I have to rate it a 2. It's almost a 2 ½ though based on shot quality alone... and, with tons of room for improvement… (and knowing the guys in charge of making it happen)… I could easily see this course move up into the 3.5 - 4 range.
- My Score: -3