Westfield, WI
Westfield High School Share
Uploaded By: MrHighlandPark Hole #1 (Taken 8/2009)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Unmarked tees cost this course

1    8/27/2011   9/24/2011
Pros: 1) 18 hole course on school grounds . .. how could that not be a positive for the sport and the people of the Westfield Area?

2) Baskets are numbered on the yellow band which helps navigations especially considering there are no tees. It took me 15 minutes to orient myself to figuring out where to start on #1 and how to get over to the other visible holes from the parking lot, without the #'s I would have had no idea.

3) Nice variety of holes here because of the elevation used, the open field shots and the tighter wooded shots. Distance variation is also pretty large.

4) Turf is in good condition for the most part. It's nice not to have to worry about footing although with no actual tees you can pick the best spot for your tee anyways.
Cons: 1) Discatcher chains are all messed up, apparently installed improperly because they are all twisted up.

2) A few of the holes seemed near impossible because of no real fairway like #4, #5, #10.

3) Course lacks all amenities but that is sort of expected for a school course. Worth mentioning but I am not taking away on the rating because of this.
Other Thoughts: All in all an average course, but without tees and without some clearing on a few holes to make actual fairways I wouldn't likely return too often.It is just a confusing and I do not know if I actually played the holes as they were intended in the design. It would be nice to have as a student at that school for sure and it is the only course within at least 25 miles in any direction.

very interesting hs course

1    10/22/2010   10/27/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: Nice property with hills and all kinds of obstacles for play.
Many baskets tucked into the woods (Innova baskets).
Possible upshots over high obstacles.
The course plays around a very nice athletic fields complex.
An unused wooded section borders the course proper and could potentially add some very nice disc opportunities in the future?
Cons: Flags in pictures were nowhere to be found. We played from basket to basket; with the exception of #1, which was played from home plate of ball diamond to basket; #3 which was played to the right of basket, and #10?; where you finish near the center field opening in fence. On that one we went into field and played full length of baseball field. Bucket is behind home plate fence. We played this one as being the only non o.b. field.
If the fields are as much in play on the "real" course as they were in our play; there is a very good chance you'll be in one; especially if it's windy, as it was when we were there. Some of these fields require you to walk almost the full length of the diamond to enter by the dug outs; or risk climbing an eight foot tall fence.
I was o.b. in the parking lot on the last hole as we played it. No cars this day; but I imagine they could be there. Probably not when you're supposed to be playing during non school hours; so, not sure if this is an issue or not.
Other Thoughts: I am positive that this is not the intended layout. However, we had to make the best of the situation. Playing basket to basket makes this a fairly long course; I would bet that @ 6,000 ft. There is at least one hole with no fairway, when played this way; it is the shortest (#5?), but you gotta go straight through the woods (or tomahawk over the top) to get there.
Playing the course this way, means many ball fields and one parking lot, are very much in play and provide very interesting risk/reward opportunities. (I believe that many of these fields are still in play on the "real" course...)
How far down are you going to challenge that baseball fence? Do you simply play a rhbh heiser and take fence out of play? etc...
My playing partner and I each had two o.b.s during the round.
This one reminds me of Homestead High School in Mequon. Both of these are on nice pieces of land; bordered by even nicer pieces of land. However, they are unmarked and require your own invention in regards to play. However, both are nice long courses when played from basket to basket; and have potential to be 3 rated. There just seems to be no one that is heavily disc golf interested at the schools; or, they don't want to encourage non school play?