Winston-Salem, NC
Hole #7

Home!

5+    5/10/2013   5/10/2013
Review By: JaymzTheGreat
Pros: Easy. Good training course. Not very wooded, excellent for beginners. Easy to follow course layout. One tee and one basket. So simple for anyone to come out and play. Only need 1 or 2 disc.

This is my home course, I am from the area, and since there isn't many area. I started playing here, which was helpful, cause it wasn't difficult enough to get you discouraged from playing again. I recommend this course to anyone that is new to disc golf, or trying to hone in some skills. Overall I like the course for what it is. EASY!
Cons: Older course, built in the late 80's. Never been modified, except for PDGA events. Could use a new design or some slight modification, or even adding a 2nd course to the park, or just another 9 to give you some more options. Short tee pads, but they are concrete and you don't need much since the distance is so short for most holes. Too far out from the city. Only course in Winston Salem, that's public.
Other Thoughts: Nicely kept up by the city. Fall season tends to have leaves on the ground, but they come out to clean them up periodically. Everybody is nice and will help you out.

1    4/7/2012   4/10/2012
Review By: JGro
Other Thoughts: I arrived to find a freshly mowed beautiful park with new baskets.  There was plenty of parking as the course was deserted, on a sunny 70 degree Saturday afternoon no less!  I was thankful to be the only one there because I could play a leisurely round without fearing errant discs.  Most of the holes really are all over each other.  There is a *huge* meadow behind the course that is just begging for some holes to be expanded out that way.  I don't know if that idea is even possible, but it would address what is clearly the course's biggest weakness.  The course was well marked, although I thought some of the tee signs were situated too close to the tee box for right-hand-backhand throwers like me.  I'll definitely be back to play again, especially considering the nearby playground and picnic shelters for the family.

Beautiful course

5+    3/2/2012   3/4/2012
Review By: chefjeff315
Pros: Very easy to navigate this course, nice mix of open shots and wooded areas. Box with scorecards at 1st tee is a plus. Course winds back to the parking lot where bathrooms and trashcans are located. Brand new Discatcher baskets had just been installed the day before I played this last week ! YAY!
Cons: Some of the holes are a bit close, but the tee markers do a good job of showing you where the next basket is.
Other Thoughts: I first began playing back in '85, and this is the course I played regularly as I lived in WS at that time. It is a beautiful course, though with holes ranging from 153 to 280 feet it's a bit short for more experienced players, but great for beginners. They have opened up a large area on the back side and there is a big OB area, but now it's not overgrown and easier to find errant throws. This is a beautiful park, and the disc golf course is not violated by any other park use areas.

Great for beginners

1    8/28/2011   8/28/2011
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - Park is completely dedicated to disc golf
- The course goes back to the parking lot several times, so you can grab water, etc. mid-round
- Park is in pristine condition - they are proud of the park, and it shows.
- This park is an atypical NC park - it's basically wide open (as opposed to lots of trees!), but with enough mature trees to provide shade throughout alot of the round.
Cons: - The holes a somewhat close together, so a slightly errant throw can put you in another's fairway.
- The holes are a little short, so pars are very achievable (not that this is bad, but
- It was really crowded, we played on Sunday afternoon and there were probably 10-12 groups playing.
Other Thoughts: - I play with and 9 and 11 year old daughters (and a 5 yr old for a hole or two). This course was absolutely perfect for them - they could see the tee on every hole, and they were even able to par a few of them. Other courses where holes are > 300 ft, I'm on the "green" in two, and it takes them 5-6 shots to get close. It was crowded, but while waiting to tee on hole #9, we grabbed water, cookies, etc. There were even trash cans two holes later to dispose of the empties properly. This course is a little ways out of the way, but well worth it for the historically value (mentioned in other reviews). If you have young, beginning golfers, this is a MUST. If you are seasoned, this would be a course where the second round you could probably get a good line on several aces.

Beautiful Course

1    6/5/2009   9/5/2010
Review By: DiscJunkie
Pros: This was a really beautiful course. It is set in a mostly-open field/meadow. It has scorecards and a map on the course. Navigation is easy. Good course for beginners. Good signage, great navigation. They did all they could with the land and space available. Minimal risk of losing discs. I played this course when my max distance was about 250', still manged to shoot way under par, and I had a blast.
Cons: Not really challenging. Short tees. Short holes. Baskets are a little close to the next tee, so just keep a heads-up. Other than that, there's not a lot to say that's bad. Can get crowded.
Other Thoughts: For me, this was a fun course for my skill level. I'm sure that I would get tired of it if I played it a lot. Bathrooms on site. All holes are under 300'. I think it's the oldest course in the state and it shows. The holes cannot stand up to modern distance drivers and disc technology, but don't let that stop you. If you want to get someone hooked on the game, start here. Bring a mid-range and a putter and cut loose.

Classic

1    3/23/2010   4/1/2010
Review By: windgodd
Pros: This is a great example of a classic disc golf course. The park is very rustic and pretty. The course also flows very well from hole to hole.
Cons: Not a difficult course, and it is very short. I used a putter all day except on 2 holes (a Buzzz). Older Mach 1 baskets, and short tee pads.
Other Thoughts: If I was in the area, I would play it again. It's a pretty and calming park. I'd leave the bag in the truck and just bring 1 putter and 1 midrange.

Oldest course in NC!

5+    11/21/2009   1/14/2010
Review By: Trey133
Pros: You can play the course with ultrastars, and still shoot under par.
Fun factor is great here.
Old trees are intermixed into the fairways, very eye catching.
Great temp course out there during the Horizon's park classic.
Neat Triad disc league club out there during most of the week.
Cons: The baskets there are in pretty rough shape. They have a tendancy not to catch much of anything.
Several shots face right at a parking lot, this isn't too good. I've had my car hit a few times out there more than I would care for.
No drivers at all on this course... No variety of shots other than putters and mids.
Other Thoughts: Really cute course, for those that are travelling you have to play it just to pay homage to the first course in NC. I mean, its pretty historic for our sport.

5+    11/26/2009   12/1/2009
Review By: airforcechck
Pros: Trees provide interesting obstacles. The people are normally friendly that play there, including some regulars. There are squirrels that provide some entertainment and it is right across from a dog park so you can play then go let your dog run around. There are picnic tables so you can go practice/play and eat there. There is a shot that you have to make around a barn, it adds a nice challenge. I've seen people hit the barn, cause their disc to go over or on top of the barn. The tee pads are concrete, and everything is numbered.
Cons: Leaves!! It is really easy to loose your disc in the leaves. You shoot between trees because this course snakes around. There isn't really long shots, There are at least two holes that if you are a long driver you could cause your disc to go into the road.

Beautiful, short course

1    5/23/2009   5/26/2009
Review By: JD Heel
Pros: - I loved the setting with the rolling hills surrounding the course. It's definitely open with plenty of natural beauty.

- The trees in the middle of the course are deceptively challenging. Maybe it was because I was having a subpar round that day, but I seemed to find the trees more than I thought I would. Although there is no true "wooded" portion of the course, the few trees that are there do provide an obstacle.

- If your midrange game is lacking - as mine is lately - this is a great course to practice those shots.

- I like #14 with the barn in play. It's not a particularly difficult shot and can be avoided with a smart throw, but it does add a different element to the course. It hooked at least one person in as I heard a loud thud off the barn from the group playing behind us that day.

- The free scorecards were a nice touch.
Cons: - I have to echo the comment about the short tee pads. For someone 6'6" like me, that definitely came into play. Luckily, most of the holes don't require much of a run-up, but it's still something that distracts you when you need to be focusing on your throw.

- Also mentioned before, but the low baskets are another disadvantage to the taller player.

- Many of the holes seemed similar or just didn't have enough distinction for my taste. For me, that was especially true of the "wooded" holes near the center of the course.
Other Thoughts: All in all, I enjoyed the course and would play it again if I were in the area. I was surprised to read on here that the course often gets crowded, because it wasn't too bad on the Saturday we played. That was earlier in the day, though, so that could have been a factor.

1    4/29/2009   4/29/2009
Review By: zbyrd
Pros: The best part of this course is the signage. It is definitely the best I've seen. The course is very beginner friendly. There are plenty of holes where you have to create a line, which is great for teaching the basics of the game.
Cons: Way too easy. Some locals have been known to routinely score 12-14 under par. The course is often be very busy and the holes can run on top of one another. Not many hyzer/anhyzer holes. Almost all of the wooded holes require straight line 200-250ft drives. Lots of families/groups of bros.
Other Thoughts: This is basically a place to get a hold for the game of to keep sharp. It can be good for intermediate player trying to practice driving the basket.