Winston-Salem, NC

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Fun for All

1    8/8/2015   8/8/2015
Review By: nevets4433
Pros: Horizons park is a solid, short eighteen hole course situated just outside of Winston-Salem. The hallmark of this course is accessibility...meaning that almost anyone could have fun here. Most holes are in the range of about 250ish feet with relatively clean lines. There are a few trees in play for almost every hole, but not a single line I would consider tight. What that means for Horizon Park is that anyone from beginner up could come play a quick, enjoyable 18 hole round.

All holes have nice signs, concrete tee pads, and baskets are all numbered and in very good condition. Many of the green complexes and areas around the tees are freshly mulched and the landscape really looks like it gets a lot of TLC.

My favorite hole was hole 14 which forces a neat anhyzer (RHBH) around a big red barn. That was definitely a pretty shot.

Evidently this is the oldest course in is really cool to see old classic courses stand the test of time (though I understand it has had a few re-routes along the way).
Cons: The most obvious con is the length. Most of the holes are short and that made for a bit of monotony in the middle of the round.

There are a few places, especially from 14-18, where navigation is a bit tricky because a lot of holes are in close proximity.

When crowded, players definitely need to have a heads-up mentality due to the cramped nature of some of the holes. A few tees and baskets are a bit close and stray discs definitely can become a problem.

A few of the baskets, noteably 8 and 18, are very close to the parking lot, whereas 13 plays by a road. That could be difficult for beginners and I never like to see people's cars and roadways in play due to safety concerns.

I noticed the parking lot was marked OB on the tee sign for 17, a hole where it doesn't really come into play. I would have liked to see it marked more clearly on other holes where the parking lot and roadways were a more direct obstacle.

The tee pads are very would be nice if they allowed for a bit of runup. Luckily, many have nice mulched areas around them which helps extend the pads to some degree.

Some of the holes on the site are marked as par 4s, but realistically everything here should easily be a par 3, even if the course is aimed at beginners.
Other Thoughts: I played just before a round of the NC Junior Championship here. It was really great to see so many juniors and parents out enjoying the day. I think this course lends itself nearly perfectly to a juniors tournament, and hope the local scene continues to support play like that.

I was on the fence here between giving this course a 2.5 and a 3. I made my call based upon the fact that it is in impeccable shape and I really did have a fun time. It is not necessarily a destination course, and the difficulty level is pretty low, but it is simply a fun place to come throw discs and relax.

5+    5/22/2014   5/22/2014
Review By: waltny
Pros: Very clean and well kept
Wide open spaces with little worry of losing a disc
Cons: Tee boxes too close to baskets
Some fair ways nearly overlap
Some very short holes
Other Thoughts: Fun place to play other than a league night.
I only broke out a fairway driver for holes 12 and 13, otherwise I would say a US, stable/neutral, OS mid along with a putter is all you need.
Not very technical, but a few shots I needed a healthy anny to flex back to park it through the trees.
I got rather confused on where basket 15-17 were after coming off basket 14 as the land markings seemed a little off the first time through.

1    4/12/2014   5/4/2014
Review By: Fox-17
Pros: - Clean location
- Great for beginners
- Varied length of holes
- Clear tee and Pin locations.
- Nice gentle elevation changes
Cons: - Stray flying disks could present a problem, if large # of people are playing, (not much room between holes).
- Some may find the layout to be too easy/straightforward.
Other Thoughts: I went up here on a whim, and glad I did. I found it very enjoyable and allowed practice on power/trick shots (without fear of losing a disk) yet still gives a bit of a challenge. This is the first DGC in NC, so the layout is setup to attract people to the sport.

First Permanent Course in NC

2-4    8/3/2013   8/19/2013
Review By: Mortis Canyon
Pros: Park was clean and nicely kept up

Extremely easy to navigate

Proximity of parking to 1st hole

New installed baskets

Concrete tee pads

Pretty much every hole is an ace hole

Can get a round in very quickly
Cons: Very short tee pads. Not that you really need a long tee pad, it's just what I prefer.

Holes are short and somewhat repetitive

Course can bring a lot of traffic at times

Most holes are very close to one another. Be cautious of throwing when there is a lot of traffic.
Other Thoughts: First permanent course installed in NC.

Fun mid-range and putter course

Easy. Good training course. Not very wooded, excellent for beginners. Easy to follow course layout. One tee and one basket. Only one or two discs needed.

Living in Charlotte, a buddy of mine and I made a mini road trip to the area and played two other courses having stopped by here to finish out our day. Glad we did because after Highland Hills and Yadkin County Park, it was nice to have a few birdies in my belt and made me feel better about my disc golf game.

5+    5/10/2013   5/10/2013
Review By: JaymzTheGreat
Pros: Easy. Good training course. Not very wooded, excellent for beginners. Easy to follow course layout. One tee and one basket. So simple for anyone to come out and play. Only need 1 or 2 disc.

This is my home course, I am from the area, and since there isn't many area. I started playing here, which was helpful, cause it wasn't difficult enough to get you discouraged from playing again. I recommend this course to anyone that is new to disc golf, or trying to hone in some skills. Overall I like the course for what it is. EASY!
Cons: Older course, built in the late 80's. Never been modified, except for PDGA events. Could use a new design or some slight modification, or even adding a 2nd course to the park, or just another 9 to give you some more options. Short tee pads, but they are concrete and you don't need much since the distance is so short for most holes. Too far out from the city. Only course in Winston Salem, that's public.
Other Thoughts: Nicely kept up by the city. Fall season tends to have leaves on the ground, but they come out to clean them up periodically. Everybody is nice and will help you out.

Pinch Off Round

2-4    11/22/2012   1/12/2013
Review By: WillAnderson
Pros: If you're taking the wife & kids to play on the playground, it's a great place to pinch off a round while they're busy. Most of the holes are ace runs w/o many obstacles or a theme. Be ready for a fun, quick round. After you're done with a quick two rounds, you'll find hiking trails behind the playground offering a nice stroll if you brought your main squeeze to impress with your birdie skills.
Cons: Way too easy! The holes are packed like sardines causing crossover like crazy. The pads are tiny, (but it's not like you will need a run-up.) A tourney would be a nightmare! It would be awesome if they'd dedicate some of the hiking trails to the course bc the whole thing is wide open.
Other Thoughts: On the boards, PRO/AM scores carry little deviation bc of this course's lameness. I played in the fall, & the course floor was completely covered in leaves, ankle deep. Watch your discs. Hey...LEAF PILE!

Southern Comfort

1    5/24/2012   5/29/2012
Review By: kinger
~Clean and nicely kept
~Easy navigation
~Proximity of parking to 1st hole
~Other park features & restrooms are close by
~Fun mid range & putter course
~Baskets appear to be fairly new
~Concrete tee pads
~No need for anything more than a fairway driver
~Tee pads are short, good for standing still
~Short, repetitive holes make for quick play
~Most holes are very close to one another, be careful
Other Thoughts: Visited and played a casual round while in the Greensboro / Winston-Salem area recently. Hit this park on a Thursday, and it was slamming with disc golfers. Very friendly locals and I was able to get around fairly quickly. I flew into this area, so only packed a Ringer, Buzzz, and Leopard.....this was all that would be required for this course anyway so it worked well. Most holes measure around 200' in length give or take 50'-70' and vary from wide open to moderately wooded. Seemed to favor right hand backhand and the layout is very pleasant. Lots of nice angle options are required from the tees presenting a fun challenge. Pars are very easy for any skilled player, but a tight tee shot is practically always needed for those birdie opportunities. Clean course and well maintained at my time of visit, the adjacent park area was beautiful and adds nice features for disc golfers and their families. An overall pleasant short and slightly technical course with a very cool history. Glad I got to play it, would love something like this near me for short casual rounds instead of always having "big air" layouts. Well done and well preserved.

1    4/7/2012   4/10/2012
Review By: JGro
Other Thoughts: I arrived to find a freshly mowed beautiful park with new baskets.  There was plenty of parking as the course was deserted, on a sunny 70 degree Saturday afternoon no less!  I was thankful to be the only one there because I could play a leisurely round without fearing errant discs.  Most of the holes really are all over each other.  There is a *huge* meadow behind the course that is just begging for some holes to be expanded out that way.  I don't know if that idea is even possible, but it would address what is clearly the course's biggest weakness.  The course was well marked, although I thought some of the tee signs were situated too close to the tee box for right-hand-backhand throwers like me.  I'll definitely be back to play again, especially considering the nearby playground and picnic shelters for the family.

Beautiful course

5+    3/2/2012   3/4/2012
Review By: chefjeff315
Pros: Very easy to navigate this course, nice mix of open shots and wooded areas. Box with scorecards at 1st tee is a plus. Course winds back to the parking lot where bathrooms and trashcans are located. Brand new Discatcher baskets had just been installed the day before I played this last week ! YAY!
Cons: Some of the holes are a bit close, but the tee markers do a good job of showing you where the next basket is.
Other Thoughts: I first began playing back in '85, and this is the course I played regularly as I lived in WS at that time. It is a beautiful course, though with holes ranging from 153 to 280 feet it's a bit short for more experienced players, but great for beginners. They have opened up a large area on the back side and there is a big OB area, but now it's not overgrown and easier to find errant throws. This is a beautiful park, and the disc golf course is not violated by any other park use areas.

Home Course

5+    9/1/2011   9/2/2011
Review By: Field Mouse
Pros: Great use of space.
Great for learning the potential of putters/mid-range discs.
It's all basically flat right now, so you can play several rounds without wearing yourself out.
Cons: Really poor upkeep with the tee-boxes and baskets. I think they repaint the baskets once a year, but I don't think they care much about the otherwise.
Short tee boxes. I frequently stand beside the box to tee off so that I don't trip stepping up onto the concrete.
Short holes. I'm by no means a pro, or even the strongest arm out there, but I park or overthrow most of the holes even with my mid-ranges.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and it has a lot of potential. I've heard that this is the oldest course in NC, and that's great, but there is now room for improvement. There is a lot of unused land behind the 11th an 12th holes that could be used to add in a couple of really great distance holes.

< Prev 1 2 3 4