Conklin, NY
Conklin DGC Share
Uploaded By: Godard Hole #5 (Taken 10/2009)
4 / --   4 / 312ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #5 Approach

Nice Small Course

1    6/30/2013   6/30/2013
Review By: jedimasterbryan
Pros:
-Concrete Tees
-Quality Baskets
-Good course Bulletin Board containing general disc golf rules
-Pretty good use of the available space
Cons:
-Some of the teepads are a little short
-The signage for each of the holes is pretty poor
-The pars on this course seem a bit high, I think they should be all par 3's
Other Thoughts: I played this short little course on my way home from a vacation in PA. I enjoyed myself, it seems like a good course for both beginners and more experienced players. The first few holes play near some really long marshy grass, making you play very carefully or risk losing a disc. The rest of the holes play pretty open, a simple RHBH style will get you through most of the course. Hole 8 switches it up a bit with a hanging basket, its always nice to see when a course puts in something unique like this to set it apart. Overall its an enjoyable course, it would be a great local place to practice or a nice course to squeeze in a quick round if you're in the area like I was.

Grass-n-Fence

1    6/30/2012   7/1/2012
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Concrete teepads.

Signs at teepads with distance and next tee information.
Cons:
Teepads too small, only 3'x6'.

Teesigns too close to teepads, abutting back corner.
This nine-basket course zigzags in a counterclockwise fashion in the flat, open space surrounding a community center and a fenced-off area. Avoiding the chest-high grasses/plants perilously close to the first third of the course, and not going over the fence on the second third, are the primary challenges to overcome .Left-turn or straight oriented, as extreme lefts are needed on hole 4-5, and subtler lefts seem appropriate on the number of other holes, too.

Tee-1 and practice basket to the right of the community center. Two baskets visible from tee-1 - basket-1 (right) and basket-4 (left).

Favourite hole #8: The shortest hole at 177', it is the only hole with elevation change (upslope), obstacles (large hardwoods), and a hanging basket, offering a slightly moving target when the breeze is blowing.

Not bad overall

1    11/25/2010   11/25/2010
Review By: softball29
Pros: It's a nice little course in a town park. The baskets are in excellent shape and it's quite wide-open. The eighth hole is a gem with the hanging basket. Way too cool. I'd like to see stuff like that elsewhere.

There were plentiful scorecards at the beginning and a practice basket. Also, the rules of the park and some stuff about disc golf is posted near the first tee. Good touch.

It's nice that there aren't many places to lose a disc (though I tried a couple of times). Overall, it was a nice course, though it was set up more like a "real golf" course with going back and forth and such in the fairways.
Cons: It's too wide open. The only real hole where you face trees is No. 8 and that's because the basket hangs from one. Everything else is wide open, sans a fence that runs next to a couple of the holes. For someone who can grip it and rip it, this might be a course to come see how low of a round you can shoot.

The right to hole three. If you need to bend your throw (as I usually do) from right to left, be careful. I landed one in there and had to slosh through some boggy type stuff and it still took me 10-15 minutes to find it. The next time I hit this hole, I just went to the left and came into the hole a different way.
Other Thoughts: Being I don't live too awful far from the Binghamton area, I decided to come down Thanksgiving Day to check this course out and do a few other things. I left with the feeling that I would play the course again if I was in the area again, but wouldn't go out of my way.

As someone who is just starting this sport, I can see how this course is beneficial for a newcomer -- it's open, not many places to lose a disc and there isn't a lot of finesse to things. That being said, can also be frustrating to a newcomer. If you can't bomb drives or keep them too straight, getting a 3 on a hole would be amazing. There were some holes where it too me four throws to get close to putting. A high throw or something along those lines gets caught up in any wind and swept and make it go awful short. It's a good place to learn though, as you can really unleash and not worry too much.

Overall, it was enjoyable. I had a few frustrating moments with length, but hopefully that will improve in time. Hole No. 8 is worth playing this course for, so check it if you are near here.

Everything looks well maintained and it was in good shape. I will definitely play it again sometime, but I'll just plan it into a day when I'm already going to be in the area.

(And going on Thanksgiving was awesome. I had the whole place to myself for an hour and a half).

Solid Community Course

1    10/24/2010   11/2/2010
Review By: bcr123psu
Pros: Conklin DGC is a well manicured nine-hole course and is easily accessible from I-81 or I-88. As you enter the park, there is adequate signage in the back corner of the park to point you to the start of the course, outline the rules of Conklin DGC, and provide the basics of disc golf. This is a big perk at a community course where a lot of players may get their first exposure to the course. Once at the tees, the tee signs do a decent job pointing you toward the basket.

The baskets at the course are in great shape as are the concrete tee pads (which are another perk at a small community course). Conklin DGC sets itself apart from most courses by providing a hanging basket on one of the holes.

In terms of the course layout, there is some variation to the lengths of the fairways with a few of the holes including doglegs.
Cons: While there were a few holes that incorporated trees, obstacles, and doglegs, most were just straight, wide-open shots from tee to basket. The course was almost completely flat with no real elevation change on any hole.

In a few instances, it can be confusing to figure out which basket you're throwing toward.

On a few holes, there is a chain link fence that borders the fairway. Especially in the case of a community/beginner course, this could be a detractor for someone that doesn't have a great deal of control.
Other Thoughts: Despite the basic nature of the course, my round was a welcome break from a long drive and filled a DG void in this area. The seasoned player would view this course as a pitch 'n putt and and could use the course to work on their short game. For the beginner, this course will allow a player to work on form and technique without having to negotiate too many obstacles or put out multiple distance drives.

Although the course is basic in nature, it's neat, clean, and makes a great travel break. The folks in Conklin and the Binghamton burbs have a nice community course in Conklin DGC.

Nice break from driving (car, not disc)

1    7/14/2010   7/25/2010
Review By: HoosickTony
Pros: My rating is based on the following... I'm an intermediate disc golfer, right handed, and I drive about 250-320 feet with either a backhand or a flick forehand. I've played about 25 courses over the years, courses rated between 1.5 to 4.5 stars.

All of my comments have been said before, but here it goes

1. VERY BEGINNER FRIENDLY.

2. Nice OB area (The old go-cart track)

3. The hanging basket hole is way cool.

4. The blind "Marksman" hole is fun, a tomahawk or thumber into the void.

5. You will see lots of woodchucks (or ground hogs if you prefer). They made me smile.

6. Lots of birdies.
Cons: 1. I'm not a beginner, so for me, this course was a bit too user-friendly. I'm used to playing tight, technical, maddening, wood-filled, creative courses that push your shot making ability. Here I just let it rip, and took my pars if I missed or putted in my birdies if I made it. And this was ignoring the pars on the signs. It's a par 3 course, with one that might be long enough to be a 4 if it weren't so wide open.

2. Throw into the OB, and you must hop the fence.

3. Throw into the long grass, and you could lose a disc very easily.

4. Watch your step around the groundhog holes.
Other Thoughts: This was worth playing but would not have been worth going out of my way to play. However, any time you can find a course within 5 minutes of a major interstate, and it's free, how can you lose? A big THANK YOU to the Mayor who made this course possible... I spent some money for gas and food, and enjoyed my break.

Finally a course in my town!!

5+    7/14/2010   7/18/2010
Review By: celly37
Pros: Close to home!! (ten min)
Great for people learning to play, doesnt discourage new players
Good variety and opportunities to work on different throws
this make a great practice course as well
love the crop circles we play any tall grass as out of bounds so we dont want the extra stroke so we really have been learning some great techniques to avoid them
First half shorter holes that take a little skill
second half is pretty much impossible to loose a disc give or take a couple spots but the fairways are alot longer.
I see that a couple people have mentioned the swamp, we have been playing a couple times a week for the last couple months and we have not had any problems with the swamp nor have we gotten wet shoes, the ground is very dry.
Cons: Very easy to loose discs on holes 2,3,&4 (6 if your really really new)

all but one and a half holes are in open fields. I would like to see them expand another 9 holes into the woods.

I really like courses where sometimes your shooting uphill, downhill, through woods ect, but this course is basically a flat field

tees are way too small, but at least they are there

Other Thoughts: Whoever put this course up, THANK YOU!!!!!
i hope you start the trend in the binghamton area!!!!

Good local public course

5+    5/15/2010   5/26/2010
Review By: Sexton K. Hardcastle
Pros: Good beginner course - I've been in the sport for 3 years now and have several family and friends who would like to get into the sport and this is a great course to break them in on. The pars are a great confidence builder for new players.

Decent hole variety - There are several wide open holes and a few where you can practice some different types of shots, such as hole 4.
Cons: Small tee boxes - My biggest complaint about this course are the small tee boxes. I find it impossible to x-step on the tees, I have to tee off next to the boxes.

Swamp - I didn't deduct any points for it, but the swamp next to fairway 3 can be a nuisance if the wind catches your disc and carries it there. Nothing worse than playing a round of golf with wet shoes.
Other Thoughts: If not for the small tee boxes I would've rated the course much higher. Like I said, VERY beginner friendly and that's a good thing. The fence around the the old go-cart track is more of an inconvenience than anything else. There are 2 gates at the front of the track but if you don't feel like walking back to them or hopping the fence, be sure you have a Disc Golf Ninja with you. Although it's the only public course in the area, it's not the only course; there's a private 18 hole course in the Vestal area.

Well, it is a course.

2-4    11/12/2009   1/9/2010
Review By: alx133
Pros: -Baskets and cement teepads
-Interesting use of old go-cart track as OB or imaginary lake
-filling in the emptyness of the golf scene in the central/southern NY area
-Practice basket with putting area
Cons: -Teepads narrow, short and elevated out of the ground making for some real ankle twisting awkwardness on any hole (maybe only 3 or 4) that you want to get a run up on.
-Wide open course
- Holds water, some real big wet spots on a few of the first holes
Other Thoughts: - I drove down to check out this course as it is within an hour from me; i wasnt expecting too much so i was charmed by it.
- Hanging baskets are always sweet, that lil ace run is no exeption
- While playing here you are next to some real nice woods, I found myself wishing that the course was in them instead of its current location.
- Doesnt seem like there is room for expansion here, but who knows if it catches on maybe something else will come about
-Glad to see disc golf making some steps forward in Central NY

This course is not one to go out of your way for, nice if in the area or for beginners.

Binghamton Area

1    11/8/2009   11/29/2009
Review By: Wreckmaster13
Pros: Nice local Course, Great for beginners.
The course has concrete tee off boxes with a nice run up. Also has a good mix of long and short play.

Hole 1 - Needs some trees. If I remember correctly par 4,(once some trees get added.) maybe.

Hole 2 - Shorter straight hole. This hole has some thick weeds growing in strategic areas for this hole. It looks more dificult than it is.

Hole 3 - The first review called it crop circles... Pretty accurate. The hole is place between 3 or 4 weed patches. The day I played, it was a swamp.

Hole 4 - The sign shows a curve ball. I Tossed the thumber. Landed on top of the basket and flipped off, For a 1 foot chain touch. That would have been awesome. It is a great blind shot.

Hole 5 - I foresee a problem here. (Placing a gate on the fence will help the wounded find there way back to the in bounds.) Nice long dog leg. There is an OB to the left and right. I chose the path less traveled. I went for it. A Star Valkerye over the OB and layed it right up by the hole for the easy 20 foot shot ... that I missed. Settled for a 3. Par was a 4.

Hole 6 - A desivingly short hole. This hole CAN be aced. There are a lot of gopher holes. be careful.

Hole 7 - Nice long driving hole. This may be my favorite hole (appearance wise) on the course. I used to throw my long shot and it would hook hard at the end to the right. The Wii Tiger woods game screwed my entire game up. Now my long throw pulls left after the straight flight. Perfect for this hole.I aimed right for the corner of the other property and let it fly. A short approach, and then dropped it in.

Hole 8 - Another ace-able hole. A slightly elevated pin. You must keep the disc high enough to get there, but low enought not to hit the drooping tree limbs... This is another very good looking hole.

Hole 9 - If you have a great long game, This is your hole. The final hole of the day. Long, Open, Flat Ground. Air it out, or go for the roller. This hole is an easy 3/4.
Cons: This may not be the course to play after a good rain, very swampy first few holes... Hole 5 needs a gate in the fence.

Add some trees to the first 3 holes.
Other Thoughts: Nice local Course, Great for beginners.

The only game in town

1    10/4/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: Godard
Pros: FULL DISCLOSURE: Course was designed by my Aunt and Uncle, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt!!!

This is the only course within 20 miles, so it's an excellent alternative to driving to Ithaca or Hickory Run for a quick round. There is plenty of tough shule on the course, but it's always possible to retrieve your disc and make a recovery. Baskets are in great shape. Fairways are mowed and very fair. Decent distances on the holes, with two solid ace runs for variety. Wind adds to the challenge. Well-stocked mailbox by the practice tee with scorecards (though the scorecards only list the "amateur" par).
Cons: Concrete teepads are too small. The go-kart track is not only OB, but there is no way to get your disc back without climbing the fence. There are no lefty-friendly holes, only a couple of dogleg-lefts for the righties. Course is in the Conklin River floodplain, and is often wet. There are many flying bugs, and I saw two snakes too.
Other Thoughts: Full hole descriptions:

1 "Franorma" A nearly 400-foot run with a fairly wide fairway, but OB on the left and a thin strip of shule on the right. Basket is tucked near the shrubs.

2 "Iron Horse" A shorter, narrower version of 1, running parallel. This time the basket is on the left.

3 "Crop Circles" This time the shule is in the middle of the fairway, but the hole is much shorter, so just throw it hard and take the birdie opportunity.

4 "Marksman" While it looks like a hard dogleg left, it's really a short tomahawk over the shrubs.

5 "Woodchuck" Tight approach, with OB left and right (thanks to the property line) and a mando to boot. Big arms can take the OB out of play, leading to a tricky upshot to a basket on the top of a slope.

6 "Tee Boss" A long ace run, but righties beware that overshooting the pin could easily result sail OB, or at the least a tough putt against the fence back up the slope.

7 "River Watch" Wide open hole leading to a basket that's just feet from rough shule behind it.

8 "The Del" The shortest hole on the course, and the only one where trees come into play. The basket is hanging from the branch of the final tree, and is a beautiful uphill ace run. Birdie putts have little obstacle, but long drives will encounter branches on the way back.

9 "Conklin Fair-way" The longest hole, and wide open. Air it out and hope the wind doesn't interfere with your long putt / upshot.

The mayor is very high on the sport, so be sure to let him know that you enjoyed the course and spent some tourism dollars in his town!