Hopedale, IL
Hopedale Park Share
Uploaded By: DGfan68 Hole #6 (Taken 7/2013)

2-4    6/25/2014   7/25/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: Here are my pros:

1) Nice concrete pads that just have a clean feel. In fact, the entire park has a clean feel. It is kept up very well.

2) Its a great course for beginners. It reminds me of PJ Irvin Park in Bloomington a lot. Its not too challenging so its a good course to start playing disc golf.

3) Its very easy to navigate and very quick to play. If you come here its easy to play the course at least twice through because its only 12 holes.

4) There's not really any blind holes and the bright yellow Innova discatchers really stand out!

5) Most of the holes allow some variety in shot shaping. If you stand on the hole you are not forced to throw a specific shot. I love options!

6) For an easy course it was designed in a way that the greens are actually somewhat challenging. The greens are protected enough by some very large and mature trees that you need to miss in the correct spots to have an unobstructed view of the basket.
Cons: I don't have a lot of cons for this course but here they are:

1) The signs don't have a lot of detail but the course is pretty straight forward and easy so not a lot of detail is needed.

2) The course is pretty easy and pretty short. Its a typical par 3 course. Hole 11 has some distance but its pretty wide open. The rest of the course actually has some nice obstacles that get in the way.

3) Going along with point number 2, the course doesn't really punish bad shots. There is a neat tournament here every summer where some significant manmade OB comes into play but without that bad shots won't get punished out here.

There is nothing wrong with this course at all - its designed well with the land that was given. Its a nice, small hometown park that isn't ever going to be super busy. Its not too challenging and there is little elevation. Its a quick play but don't expect to come here to be blown away.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice course in a nice park. I recommend playing it because its an easy play. I normally don't play courses less than 18 holes but when I have been traveling back from Springfield, Illinois a few times I found myself deciding to get off the interstate to make a quick stop. That's the good thing about this course: its a quick stop. It's tough for me to rate a course that's not 18 holes above a 3.0. If a 9 or 12 hole course was really awesome I could probably give it a 3.0 and maybe a 3.5 if it was the best of the best. In this case, Hopedale is a fun little park and if it was 18 holes would probably be a nice 3.0. In any case, I think giving this course a Reasonable Rating is fair.

surprisingly nice little niner

1    10/26/2009   10/28/2009
Review By: hognosesucker
This review was updated on 1/10/2010
Pros: -nice concrete pads, bathrooms and drinking fountains
-course plays over slightly rolling terrain with many large mature trees that give you a variety of lines, there are some downhill shots, and some slightly uphill shots, but most holes roll slightly
-good variety of hole length, from 200' to 380', matched with the trees and terrain, some of the holes are genuinely challenging.
-decent variety of shots required, a few rhbh slight annies, some slight hyzers, but it lacks any hard hyzer or hard anhyzer shots.
-Nice use of OB especially on the last hole. The pin for hole nine is in the back of a peninsula surrounded by road, if you over power the shot, you'll be OB.
-A couple holes like 6 have smaller fairway trees that will only increase the technical nature of the hole as time passes
Cons: -tee signs are not informative, just hole number and length, no indication of where the next tee is, therefore I found myself wandering a bit, especially after 3, 7, 8.
-The walk on hole 8 (I was a bit off the fairway) was super muddy, I think it borders a dirt lot or road but I wasn't sure as leaves were covering the ground.
Other Thoughts: This is surprisingly a nice course for a small rural city park course, I was pleasantly surprised. Whoever the designer is did a great job utilizing the topographical features of the course. I just wish there were another nine holes like the ones put in. I'll definitely play here again.