Hopedale, IL
Hopedale Park Share
Uploaded By: DGfan68 Hole #3 (Taken 7/2013)

Not as open as it looks

1    4/18/2014   4/21/2014
Review By: MidwestZest
Pros: - Very nice park with large mature trees, that looks much more open at first impression than the course design actually plays. Kudos to the designer.
- Course map/sign/rules for the original 9 holes is on the east side of the shed by the pavilion.
- Nice Innova Discatchers, no issues. Easy to spot, and really no blind holes.
- Signs with par and distance on each hole. Pars are a bit generous, but I feel like that's normally the way to go in small, family-centered parks and courses.
- Nice concrete tees, probably 4' x 7'.
- As I mentioned above, the first 9 holes were placed well into the trees, to make the shots more difficult than you would expect at first glance. The intent of most of the holes is very clear from the tee pad, which is nice on course like this. Not often seen in city park 'rec' courses.
- A perfect example is #3. Shooting up a small hill with a row of large trees on either side. Really makes you go straight right through the middle with no options left or right.
- Really liked #8, which was similar to #3, only longer, and a little wider lane to shoot through.
- #10 basket location is pretty cool, in the middle of a stand of tall mature trees on the edge of the park.
Cons: - Unfortunately, the last three holes of this course kind of ruined the groove for me. With the wooded area in the park packed already, they expanded the course out into the area of the ball fields. I totally understand why they did it, but it just doesn't fit the rest of the course, and feel crammed into their space.
- I never did find the tee pad for #10 during my round. (Full disclosure: I only walked around looking for 10 minutes, and then gave up since I had other courses on my schedule for the day). However, looking in the media section on the site now, I see that the tee is actually on the pavilion concrete between the ball fields. This lane provides the most interesting and challenging line to the basket…however that's because it goes right down between the two ball fields. Obviously, only an issue during games and practices.
- #11 is just wide open, long hole with no obstacles. The length definitely is a stark difference compared with the rest of the course for some variety, but otherwise doesn't have much going for it. It does play across the outfield of one of the ball fields.
- #12's line is shaped by the outfield fence of a diamond. There is really no room to spare on the right, and the other obstacles on the hole include two light poles, a playground, and the batting cage.
- Navigation in general is ok, not too bad, until you get done with #8.
Other Thoughts: - The first hole is right behind the handicap parking.
- Unfortunately, the last three holes (and navigation to #10 tee) really did detract from the end of my round. Perhaps if I had started on those, and finished with the original wooded 9, I would have felt a little differently about it.
- In my travels to other Peoria area courses, I did see multiple flyers advertising a 5th annual tournament in Hopedale, where they play 3x through for 36 holes. That's awesome. I hope that means disc golf is thriving here, and has good community support.
- My initial feelings are that I should rate this course 2.75. Since the first 9 are designed so well and are fun to play…and in an attempt to keep the last three holes from affecting my feelings too much, I'll round up!

Hopedale

1    11/22/2009   11/22/2009
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: Very new and clean! I got here and I was very surprised by the quality of the tees, signs (only yardage and par), and the brand new baskets.
At the beginning of the course behind the first tee, there's a nice map and a box that contains free scorecards and a map on the other side of the scorecard sheet.
For being a new course, it's very impressive and absolutely takes advantage of the land that's given to the designer.
Cons: It's only nine holes.
I usually would complain about not being very challenging, but the course really takes advantage of every single object on the plot of land.
Other Thoughts: I went here because it was kind of on the way to Pekin, and I wanted to check out the new course. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the course in such a small town. I was half expecting a efffortlessly thrown together course.
Plus the community here is very nice from what I've seen and heard. Two kids basically followed me around the whole time offering to help for random things like finding my disc. I was content. :)