Laingsburg, MI
Sleepy Hollow State Park Share
Uploaded By: DirtyMittenDG Hole #14 (Taken 9/2009)
3 / 252ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Sleepy Hollow State Park

1    6/23/2013   6/25/2013
Review By: jerohill57
Pros: I think the course designer did a very good job utilizing the terrain given. Good mix of open and wooded holes, and usually challenging straight, forehand, and backhand shots.

Clean and well maintained course. Does not seem to get a lot of use. I played on weekend mornings in June and never had anyone in front of or behind me.

Most of the out in the open fairways are plenty wide and mowed.

I like that you can camp in the park and have easy drive to course. Campground is also very good with sites not sandwiched together.
Cons: Grass next to the fairways is tall and thick. So is most of the shrubs bordering the fairways. If you go off into the grass or shrubs it can take you a while to find your disc. If playing in a group you might want to take turns spotting for each other on quite a few of the holes.

As mentioned the tee pads are not the longest. Did not bother me since I do not need a big run up. Those that do will be bothered somewhat.
Other Thoughts: For other experienced players, I've only been playing a couple years, and I am in my mid 50s. My drives max out around 250-275. PDGA rating around 870. I shot 58 my first time keeping score here.

Very scenic.

2-4    5/26/2013   5/27/2013
Review By: Morlock
Pros: The park is beautiful to look at, I can never get enough of "real nature"

All fairways and paths were cut, trimmed and clean!
A great variety of shots; almost used the whole bag :)
Cons: Tee pads are too short period. It looks like they have been in the ground since 2011 and it seems to be a common complaint. The locals need to work with the park to either add more concrete or at least bring up the dirt and pack it, so you have a longer run up. This will also prevent you from slipping off the front.

A few more key placed directional signs. Not a big deal, once you have played the course, but it is a simple and nice touch.

#10 and #11 tee pads should be pointed at the basket. The lines seem very forced and IMO make these two holes very weak.
Other Thoughts: As cool as #9 seemed on paper...the hole could be better. I found it more of a waste of time than a real challenge. A wider landing zone for your drive would improve this hole 100%. It would seem like a big bottleneck during tournament play as well. Great course and I'll be back for sure!

You will not be put to sleep at Sleepy Hollow

1    7/22/2012   7/29/2012
Pros: 1) Hole # and distance only on the tee-sign. I like to see more information but they also provided scorecards with a general map of the hole, so I cannot fault them entirely for being so basic on the tee-sign. I did also appreciate the educational signs included at each tee, discussing something about the natural creatures and such in the state park. What a great idea for bringing your entire family along on the disc golf course.
2) Poison Ivy sign at the first tee shows they want to educate the park users. I am unsure if they are doing anything to eradicate the troublesome noxious weed, but at least they make people aware that it is out there.
3) Excellent variety of hole types with wide open, prairie, prairie with a few key trees, water in play, moderately wooded and tightly wooded holes. Oh did I forget to mention that elevation is used on every hole! There isn't anything else you need to be added to this course to complete the experience.
4) Elevation is used outstandingly well on many of these holes. I love how just some subtle rolling terrain can alter a shot. I also love dramatic elevation change up and down. It really makes you think about your shot from beginning to end.
6) #9 is one of the most unique holes I have come across. There is a peninsula after your drive that is about 20' wide sloping both directions with another 8-10' of unmaintained rough along the water. Basically the peninsula is about 30' wide and depending on where your drive or second shot end up could leave you with a 100' upshot to a small area. I nearly got to the bottom of the hill and the beginning of the peninsula with my drive, but I ended up having to toss out, layup with my upshot and take a 4. I was thrilled!
7) Practice basket is available before the first hole. I didn't even walk over to it because we were on a mission to play this and at least 1 more course on our long drive back to WI.
8) There is a nice variety of shots needed here. You have to be able to work the disc both ways.
9) Garbage bags at the beginning of the course are intended for park users to be able to pack out what they bring in to the park. There also were a couple of bins I noticed throughout that you can place those bags if you fill it up by the time you leave the course. I find it hard to believe but it is an option.
Cons: 1) #9 is a bit dangerous because you need to walk back down the peninsula to get to the walkway to #10. It is already a blind shot so the people on the tee might have no idea when you are actually clear and a great drive could easily get down to you.
2) Poison Ivy was spotted in a few places on the course.
3) $8 entry for a non-resident vehicle is a little much for just a round of disc golf. They realize though that they offer so much more in the park so they cannot very well just charge a few $ for the round only. I have paid more for worse courses so it isn't a huge deal and as long as you are more than 1 person per vehicle it isn't out of line.
4) Tee-pads are slightly small for my liking. I am short and do not have a big runup so if I notice it, that means others will find them much too short.
5) Tall prairie grass mixed with spotty shrubs and dense weedy areas can really cost some time looking for discs. More of a frustration than anything else.
Other Thoughts: This is another park with the potential to be awesome. It is fun, challenging, scenic, and diverse . . . but it could use a little more maintenance, the prairies could be cleaner, the rough could be more forgiving, and the Poison Ivy could be controlled. All in all though it still is a great course with a great design. I think this course could be as high as a 4.0 to 4.5 disc if the issues get resolved. I am only going to give this course a 3.5 but it would quickly take the jump up to 4.0 and if all things were corrected maybe it would become a 4.5 disc.

much like ft.custer

1    7/10/2010   7/10/2010
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: Overall design is pretty good. Shot variety is high and it's fairly balanced. Mix of maybe 1/3 tight woods and 2/3 more open but with obstacles. Well marked and with maps.
Cons: - Several tilted tee pads
- Thick ivy and rough but not on every hole
- The 'peninsula' hole is a but much, not being able to see the fairway, the landing zone, or the edge of the O.B. from the tee pad is asking a lot for such a hole
- A few holes have wicked turns or blind alleys that didn't make much sense
Other Thoughts: Reminds me a lot of Ft. Custer rec. area.

Good design

5+    4/20/2010   4/21/2010
Review By: PhattD
This review was updated on 7/3/2010
Pros: Baskets are new and in good shape. The flow is pretty good I've seem people get turned the wrong way leaving 16 but as more people play the path is becoming more obvious. The overall design is the biggest plus in my book. every hole has something either elevation change, foliage that blocks the hyzer route you like, or that gap in the trees you have to hit. Several holes make you really think about the best way to throw the hole. 9 is the signature hole on the course duece this one and you've earned bragging rights.
Cons: Cement tee pads are in but they are too small

pristine seclusion

2-4    9/24/2009   9/24/2009
Review By: waterhyzerd
Pros: Location- You wouldn't know it was near the bleak Lansing area.

Variety- This course offers plenty of variey shot-wise. Whether it may be righty/ lefty, hyzer /anhyzer, or backhand/ forehand, it's all there.

It's unlike anything in the area- completely different than Grand Woods or Ledge.
Cons: Length- Some of the wooded holes should be longer.

Crazy rough- It's a new course, but the un-cut and un-trekked areas make for a hard find for lost discs.

Tee pads- They are what someone called "diamond dust," Right now, it's more like sand.
Other Thoughts: Like i said, nowhere near the city and its completely different from the other main courses in the area.