Goldsboro, NC
Hole #6 White Tee

Leaves me Flat

1    11/9/2009   5/12/2010
Review By: Olorin
Pros: Note: Sometime after I played here in Nov '09 five holes have been removed and all have been renumbered. This will cause some differences between the layout I played and the current configuration.

*Multiple tees- there are 3 sets of tees that will cater to multiple skill levels.
*Water- Stoney Creek plays all down the right side of hole 18, but it's the only water on the course.
Cons: -There are some really long walks to the next tee. The walk from the 16th basket to the 17th tee was at least 800 ft, but there were also long walks to tee 7 and tee 9.
-Tee signs: only very basic posts
-Tees: dirt but they are level. They're marked by angled and partially buried cinder blocks.
-Navigation: since there are no numbers on the partially buried cinder blocks, and with up to 3 sets on each hole it can get confusing to figure where the appropriate tee is. But there are "Next tee" signs that help.
-It could be really muddy and soggy after a rain.
Other Thoughts: On my rating scale I rated the course 3.5 out of 10, (that equals a 1.75 on DGCR), so I'm torn between two ratings.

Course Level: White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 900.)

*Flat- this can't be changed, but the course is totally flat, except for a 2 ft drop on hole 1. There was also one elevated basket for some artificial height.
*Fairway design- there were 2 holes with 90 degree "L bends". Your enjoyment will depend if you like a different style of hole like this or if you find them too quirky. Personally I like them, in moderation.
*Terrain variety- the layout I played was mostly open on the front 9 with only some scattered trees, and mostly wooded on the back 9.
*The course is still new, so there are very few amenities. Hopefully someday they'll get a map, score cards, warm up basket, and perhaps even a restroom and some benches.

If they improve the signs, the tees, and add some amenities the rating could easily go up. As it was, my enjoyment level was as flat as the terrain, so this wasn't a course that I feel drawn back to play again.

Note: To have my reviews delivered to your Inbox join the Yahoo group "DG Course Reviews" . My more detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are there in the Files section.