Goldsboro, NC
Uploaded By: XCaliber Hole #18

Course Has Gone Downhill

1    7/25/2015   7/25/2015
Review By: thedglove
Pros: Nice mix of different types and lengths of holes
Rarely crowded
Cons: Overgrown grass
Really muddy after a rain
Several holes are now completely unplayable
Other Thoughts: This course was previously a great course, full of challenges and variety. This was when it first opened. Since then it has slowly deteriorated to the point at which it is today. It's always been a pretty muddy place, so I won't really comment on that except to give caution: wait at least 24 hours after a good rain because the whole place (and I mean the whole place!) will be extremely muddy. But the amount of overgrown plant life is out of control. Holes 17 and 18 used to be my favorite holes, but they are literally unplayable. You can't even find the tee on either and you can't find the hole on 17 either (well, you can see it, but you can't get there). The same problem is all over the back nine, specifically 11-18. Hole 11 isn't so bad, but after that it all goes downhill. One more problem is snakes. Water Moccasins and Copperheads. Lots of cotton mouths reside in the wetlands area around hole 8. I've seen tons and they've gotten worryingly close. And I've seen too many copperheads to wander into the back nine very often anymore.
All in all, it's a good course that's gone to pot because no one's taken care of it. The front nine is still pretty good, except I'd be careful around hole 8 because of the snakes. I still go at least 2 times a week, so it's better than nothing.

Leaves me Flat

1    11/9/2009   5/12/2010
Review By: Olorin
Pros: Note: Sometime after I played here in Nov '09 five holes have been removed and all have been renumbered. This will cause some differences between the layout I played and the current configuration.

*Multiple tees- there are 3 sets of tees that will cater to multiple skill levels.
*Water- Stoney Creek plays all down the right side of hole 18, but it's the only water on the course.
Cons: -There are some really long walks to the next tee. The walk from the 16th basket to the 17th tee was at least 800 ft, but there were also long walks to tee 7 and tee 9.
-Tee signs: only very basic posts
-Tees: dirt but they are level. They're marked by angled and partially buried cinder blocks.
-Navigation: since there are no numbers on the partially buried cinder blocks, and with up to 3 sets on each hole it can get confusing to figure where the appropriate tee is. But there are "Next tee" signs that help.
-It could be really muddy and soggy after a rain.
Other Thoughts: On my rating scale I rated the course 3.5 out of 10, (that equals a 1.75 on DGCR), so I'm torn between two ratings.

Course Level: White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 900.)

*Flat- this can't be changed, but the course is totally flat, except for a 2 ft drop on hole 1. There was also one elevated basket for some artificial height.
*Fairway design- there were 2 holes with 90 degree "L bends". Your enjoyment will depend if you like a different style of hole like this or if you find them too quirky. Personally I like them, in moderation.
*Terrain variety- the layout I played was mostly open on the front 9 with only some scattered trees, and mostly wooded on the back 9.
*The course is still new, so there are very few amenities. Hopefully someday they'll get a map, score cards, warm up basket, and perhaps even a restroom and some benches.

If they improve the signs, the tees, and add some amenities the rating could easily go up. As it was, my enjoyment level was as flat as the terrain, so this wasn't a course that I feel drawn back to play again.

Note: To have my reviews delivered to your Inbox join the Yahoo group "DG Course Reviews" . My more detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are there in the Files section.