Arden Hills, MN
Uploaded By: sunshay Hole #4

Challenging Course with Bad Layout

5+    11/15/2013   12/29/2013
Review By: joh3
Pros: Bethel is a challenging course with a nice mix of open and wooded holes, elevation changes, and one water hazard. There are some holes with multiple tees and baskets. It has never been busy and despite the fact that it is private nobody will bother you as long as your respectful to the grounds.
Cons: The layout is terrible - backtracking to get to the next tee and lots of walking in between holes looking for tee boxes if you don't know the course. Some of the holes have two baskets, but they are not marked on the maps which is confusing.
Other Thoughts: Course could be spectacular with a little bit of reorganization of the tees and baskets.

The Truth

1    6/25/2013   6/25/2013
Review By: DH Harwell
Pros: Lots of space to park. nice scenery, nice concrete Tee pads..that's about it.
Cons: very confusing..no posts or signage. like any other park, you'll have to follow somebody or just try to figure it out..
The hole alongside of the lake is wet..And the Pin placement is too close to the lake. should be relocated. A few of the holes have no Tee pads..or just buryed just way to far back in the woods.. searched all over for a couple!! over all...too much wasted walking just to get to the next Tee.
Other Thoughts: Could be a nice park. need posts and correct map. course needs complete reconfiguration..Or just stay away..

One of my favorite 9 holers

5+    5/20/2012   5/20/2012
Review By: mndiscg
This review was updated on 6/21/2012
Pros: -Variety, for as crowded as the rest of campus is, this course is fairly spread out and contains all kinds of shots. Uphill, downhill, open, wooded, left, right. You are also unlikely to hit any students except maybe seminary ones.
-Not too crowded as only students are supposed to play it.
-Nice big concrete tees
-Nice baskets with numbers on top facing the tees
-Trees and grass are nice, it isn't played enough for them to get too damaged.
-Multiple tees on every hole. May not be the easiest to find if you don't know the course.
-It was the perfect level of a challenge, not too much that you are frustrated to no end but not that it was boring either.
Cons: -No signage but it isn't that hard to follow, especially after you play with a student a few times. There are a few weird walks in there though. Could use a map or some on-course signs. Even one right at the start would be nice.
-typical MN summer issues of poison ivy and bugs can arise
-Could lose a disc on a few holes. Especially that one that runs along the lake. 4, maybe?
Other Thoughts: A friend of mine attends school here so I get to play when I visit him! Make this a day trip and head north to Blue Ribbon Pines! This course is different from the typical publicly owned or pay to play courses. I highly recommend it.

DURING THE SUMMER YOU CAN JUST GO ONTO CAMPUS!! THEY MIGHT BE MORE STRICT DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR.

Overrated

1    7/22/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: Notorious21
Pros:
- A few very nice holes with mowed grass
- Some unique hole layouts making good use of elevation
- Nice teepads and baskets
Cons:
- Only 9 holes, and no signage
- A lot of wet, marshy areas, especially #4, which is very unforgiving
- A lot of places to lose a disc
This course was rated 4/5, which seems too high compared to some of the other courses nearby, but it is very challenging. If you're a righty, hole #4 is a disc eater - very narrow fairway with trees on the right and a lake on the left

If I Were Younger, I'd Enroll!

1    7/17/2011   7/21/2011
Pros: This is one sweet nine hole course for the students here. The baskets are DGA with the red numbers facing the right way. It has great trapazoid teepads although a couple were a slightly smaller version. There are no signs although I was able to follow it easily with the help of the on-line map and by asking a future man of the cloth. Holes 1,2 & 3 play in a lovely section of the campus with green, rolling hills and old growth trees. 4 & 5 then play along wet marshy areas and then 6,7 & 8 play up the power lines. 9 and 10 were either brillant or confusing to me. I'll get back to them. The first three were absolutely charmingly, great disc golf holes. I loved them. # 4 was a fairly long straight hole (maybe 300 ft.) with wetland tight on the left side and not much of a fairway. The risk/reward here was scary. I liked # 5 a lot but not today after recent heavy rains. It's a tricky little downhill anhyser flip shot through some trees, probably only 160 ft, but today the water was up to within 10 feet from the basket. There was almost no room for error today. # 6 plays uphill then # 7 is a powerline bomb from an elevated, landscaped teebox. I got confused when I reached # 9. If you play it, you have to turn around and backtrack all the way back to play # 10. Or you can skip # 9 and end with # 10 which is a very cool finishing hole indeed. It's the signature hole here, IMO, about a 285 downhill throw through the trees to a basket in the lawn far below. I think maybe the idea here is; Where your dorm is might determine which hole you finish with? If you live this way in this dorm, finish with # 9. If you live in these dorms, finish with the signature hole # 10.
Cons: Besides the fact that it's private and we're all sneaking on and playing it. I observed a beer bottle on # 2. Either harr0140 left it or a seminary student wasn't following the rules. There were a couple of longer walkouts.
Other Thoughts: I saw some coeds of the female variety and they were smoking hot so I've decided if I were younger, this would be the school for me. A great little course to play and lovely coeds. I'd enroll, play golf by day and chase the christian cuties by night until they caught onto my scam. Then they would send my heathen behind out the back gate. Maybe tarred and feathered. Who knows? It might be worth it!

I'll pretend to be religious to play this one!

1    6/18/2011   6/28/2011
This review was updated on 7/15/2011
Pros: 1) One of the best 9 hole courses I have played to date.

2) Nice DGA Mach baskets with the number plate always facing the tee . . . nice to see it done right!

3) Some alternate pins appeared visible to me, unless it was just an old sleeve I saw???

4) Nice design to incorporate some really diverse pieces of this property.

5) Nice trapezoidal concrete tees although some seemed to be narrower than others.

6) Nice variety of shot required, there are holes that go either direction, straight, uphill, downhill.

7) There are some nice moderately wooded holes, some more open park like holes, and a couple tighter wooded shots. I love to see variety as much as anything in course design, that way you don't feel like you are just stepping up to the same hole . . . hole after hole.

8) Water in play on 2 holes although one is a creek that didn't have a lot of water and was barely in play unless you hit an early tree. The other hole was a really risky shot because of the skips going towards the water or perhaps a big anny over the water. A long hole made great because of the risk/reward.

9) Another design element I have seen a lot of lately (on my trip to NC and also TX) . . . and that is the Power Wire Right of Way. Some great holes seem to be able to be designed underneath the massive overhead power wires that run across our country! It makes me want to approach the power companies and ask about the availability of that land.

10) Nice landscaping done around a few of the tees and also out on the course in a couple places.

11) Nicely mowed course and it is obvious that they take your tuition (which I can only imagine how much this University costs) and they spend a fair amount on the landscape and maintenance.

12) Dual tees on this course plus a couple of shorter red tees.
Cons: 1) Layout is a little goofy with a long walk from #3 to #4, a disjointed hole from #7 to #8 and then a long backtrack to #9, although it is quite possible that #8 was only temporarily moved during the construction, but it is hard to tell.

2) Private course . . . not really a negative in my rating, its just a negative because it is such a good course and I will feel guilty if I ever go back there. I played quick because I didn't want to get caught . . . fortunately it was an empty campus because it was just asfter the school year ended. It also may make it better that the Seminary people must live there year round that way you aren't the only car in the area.

3) Some of the tees seemed to be narrow. I wish it was a standard that was consistent, but it seems sometimes people change the size and shape of the tee.

4) No tee signs and no directionals to direct you around the course.
Other Thoughts: There aren't a lot of negatives about this course other than flow and layout as well as no signs on the course and no directionals.

It is a great design, it has pretty good flow (outside of the two issues I mentioned) presents a constant challenge, and has awesome variety in shot selection, distance variation and overall fun factor. I just dig this course . . . too bad it is private and cannot be shared, but I totally understand why this non land grant University wants to keep it for itself . . . liability!

I think this is my first 4 disc 9 holer even though I consider it to be about a 3.75 course.

The need to sneak?

2-4    6/26/2010   7/3/2010
Review By: a_beautifulplace
Pros: -Very quiet
-Nice Campus
-Great layout (for the most part)
-A wide variety of challenges in shots.
-It has a pretty nice flow
-There is a lot of wildlife and the course offers a very nice hike
-I've never been caught playing there :P

All and all the pros of this course outweigh the cons, drastically.
Cons: -It's private
-They really need to mow a few sections
-^There is a lot of poison ivy/oak
-The tee boxes on some holes are very obvious, where on some it is very hard to find where the short/long/pro tees are.
-ONCE AGAIN, IT'S PRIVATE (A LITTLE SELFISH FOR A CHRISTIAN COLLEGE EH!?)
Other Thoughts: This course is very fun, and offers a feel unlike any other course in the metro. It is, however, unfortunate that it must be private. To anyone at Bethel College: Please reconsider opening your course to the public so others can enjoy this excellent course. You are one of two courses in the area (and there are a ton of courses around) that are PRIVATE (no option of even paying) Why is this? I know that a major concern is the crowd and litter that grows as you open it to the public, but with the right receptacles around, a lot of courses tend to stay pretty clean. You already have obvious foot traffic marks (which is inevitable at any course) I really would also like you to consider how hypocritical it is to be a Christian (Catholic?) College and won't share your precious Frisbee course with anyone on the outside.

I will continue to play your course and on a weekly basis. I will also continue to keep my foot traffic to a minimum and garbage to zero. Most frisbee golf players are very respectable of the land and mean no malice against yours!

Taken Aback

1    5/19/2009   5/19/2009
Review By: Limp Forehand
Pros: Id just like to say that I've played pretty much every course in the TC metro region apart from this one bcus of the whole private thing. I was in the neighborhood and decided to see if I could. I met some students at hole 9 and they said it was cool. First hole was ho-hum (not bad) but everything else was amazing. The variety of technicality of the holes impressed me to the point where I was trying to think of a better 9 holer. Those back to back stretchers (7&8 I think) were incredible- very challenging and very beautiful.
I just wanted to emphasize how nice this course is for a 9 holer.
Another pro is that its mostly litter-free.-Not even cig butts.
Cons: Its private

#9 tee is a little cramped (boo-hoo right)
Other Thoughts: Hitting one basket for a near ace and getting 5 birdies left me with an under score- for this course I was pleased. For me, it was a magical round.

BU

5+    5/1/2009   5/1/2009
Review By: Craton
This review was updated on 5/7/2010
Pros: The course is secluded, quiet, and low traffic; more than likely because it's a private course reserved for use by students, faculties, and guests of either. The scenery is pretty fantastic, and allows for a variety of different shots: open fields, water hazards, elevation changes, and moderately wooded holes. Concrete tee boxes are a plus on the yellow tees and two of the blues. Pin placements change once in a while for most of the holes, and with two avid disc golfers and a decent DG community, the course is continuing to grow and develop still.

The course plays pretty straightforward, and is fairly useful for just about any level of player, from the beginners to the pro's.
Cons: The blue tees, which offer a challenge, are poorly marked, hard to find, and not maintained much at all. They are just grass/dirt that has come through with erosion of the players who have found them.

Lack of garbage and the emptying of the few there are on the course can cause a bit of garbage to find itself laying around- but usually it's a very clean course.
Other Thoughts: Challenging course, friendly community, dedicated people working to make it better.

**If you play this course, please DO NOT destroy the trees or course. The disc golf community at Bethel has tried very hard at getting this course going, and it won't take too many events of people continuing to rip up trees or littering or causing a ruckus to have it removed. If you are visiting, try to be on your best behavior please and thanks.**

Great course

1    4/17/2009   4/18/2009
Review By: varzac
Pros: I agree with posborne a lot. I am also a student at Bethel and get a chance to play this course almost everyday, and often times twice a day. I find Bethel's course significantly more diverse and challenging than many of the other courses in the area (Hansen and Silverview for example).

Good mix of distance as well as the type of shots necessary.

It's not a very busy course.
Cons: Most of the blue tees still don't have cement tee pads.

At the wrong time of the year, it's easy to end up in a big patch of burrs.

If you are unlucky enough to throw into the water (or get a bad bounce off of a tree into the water), the weeds can make it hard to find even if you are willing to go wading and looking for it.

Only one trashcan on the course.
Other Thoughts: This is by far one of my favorite courses. It is a lot of fun, close to where I live, and generally not real busy. I do, however, have to pick up trash almost every time I play the course. If you do play this course please throw your trash away, and not on the ground.