Arden Hills, MN
Bethel University DGC Share
Uploaded By: ElectricBoogaloo Hole #1 (Taken 10/2011)
Hole #1 Blue Tee

One of my favorite 9 holers

5+    5/20/2012   5/20/2012
Review By: mndiscg
This review was updated on 6/21/2012
Pros: -Variety, for as crowded as the rest of campus is, this course is fairly spread out and contains all kinds of shots. Uphill, downhill, open, wooded, left, right. You are also unlikely to hit any students except maybe seminary ones.
-Not too crowded as only students are supposed to play it.
-Nice big concrete tees
-Nice baskets with numbers on top facing the tees
-Trees and grass are nice, it isn't played enough for them to get too damaged.
-Multiple tees on every hole. May not be the easiest to find if you don't know the course.
-It was the perfect level of a challenge, not too much that you are frustrated to no end but not that it was boring either.
Cons: -No signage but it isn't that hard to follow, especially after you play with a student a few times. There are a few weird walks in there though. Could use a map or some on-course signs. Even one right at the start would be nice.
-typical MN summer issues of poison ivy and bugs can arise
-Could lose a disc on a few holes. Especially that one that runs along the lake. 4, maybe?
Other Thoughts: A friend of mine attends school here so I get to play when I visit him! Make this a day trip and head north to Blue Ribbon Pines! This course is different from the typical publicly owned or pay to play courses. I highly recommend it.

DURING THE SUMMER YOU CAN JUST GO ONTO CAMPUS!! THEY MIGHT BE MORE STRICT DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR.

I'll pretend to be religious to play this one!

1    6/18/2011   6/28/2011
This review was updated on 7/15/2011
Pros: 1) One of the best 9 hole courses I have played to date.

2) Nice DGA Mach baskets with the number plate always facing the tee . . . nice to see it done right!

3) Some alternate pins appeared visible to me, unless it was just an old sleeve I saw???

4) Nice design to incorporate some really diverse pieces of this property.

5) Nice trapezoidal concrete tees although some seemed to be narrower than others.

6) Nice variety of shot required, there are holes that go either direction, straight, uphill, downhill.

7) There are some nice moderately wooded holes, some more open park like holes, and a couple tighter wooded shots. I love to see variety as much as anything in course design, that way you don't feel like you are just stepping up to the same hole . . . hole after hole.

8) Water in play on 2 holes although one is a creek that didn't have a lot of water and was barely in play unless you hit an early tree. The other hole was a really risky shot because of the skips going towards the water or perhaps a big anny over the water. A long hole made great because of the risk/reward.

9) Another design element I have seen a lot of lately (on my trip to NC and also TX) . . . and that is the Power Wire Right of Way. Some great holes seem to be able to be designed underneath the massive overhead power wires that run across our country! It makes me want to approach the power companies and ask about the availability of that land.

10) Nice landscaping done around a few of the tees and also out on the course in a couple places.

11) Nicely mowed course and it is obvious that they take your tuition (which I can only imagine how much this University costs) and they spend a fair amount on the landscape and maintenance.

12) Dual tees on this course plus a couple of shorter red tees.
Cons: 1) Layout is a little goofy with a long walk from #3 to #4, a disjointed hole from #7 to #8 and then a long backtrack to #9, although it is quite possible that #8 was only temporarily moved during the construction, but it is hard to tell.

2) Private course . . . not really a negative in my rating, its just a negative because it is such a good course and I will feel guilty if I ever go back there. I played quick because I didn't want to get caught . . . fortunately it was an empty campus because it was just asfter the school year ended. It also may make it better that the Seminary people must live there year round that way you aren't the only car in the area.

3) Some of the tees seemed to be narrow. I wish it was a standard that was consistent, but it seems sometimes people change the size and shape of the tee.

4) No tee signs and no directionals to direct you around the course.
Other Thoughts: There aren't a lot of negatives about this course other than flow and layout as well as no signs on the course and no directionals.

It is a great design, it has pretty good flow (outside of the two issues I mentioned) presents a constant challenge, and has awesome variety in shot selection, distance variation and overall fun factor. I just dig this course . . . too bad it is private and cannot be shared, but I totally understand why this non land grant University wants to keep it for itself . . . liability!

I think this is my first 4 disc 9 holer even though I consider it to be about a 3.75 course.

Taken Aback

1    5/19/2009   5/19/2009
Review By: Limp Forehand
Pros: Id just like to say that I've played pretty much every course in the TC metro region apart from this one bcus of the whole private thing. I was in the neighborhood and decided to see if I could. I met some students at hole 9 and they said it was cool. First hole was ho-hum (not bad) but everything else was amazing. The variety of technicality of the holes impressed me to the point where I was trying to think of a better 9 holer. Those back to back stretchers (7&8 I think) were incredible- very challenging and very beautiful.
I just wanted to emphasize how nice this course is for a 9 holer.
Another pro is that its mostly litter-free.-Not even cig butts.
Cons: Its private

#9 tee is a little cramped (boo-hoo right)
Other Thoughts: Hitting one basket for a near ace and getting 5 birdies left me with an under score- for this course I was pleased. For me, it was a magical round.

BU

5+    5/1/2009   5/1/2009
Review By: Craton
This review was updated on 5/7/2010
Pros: The course is secluded, quiet, and low traffic; more than likely because it's a private course reserved for use by students, faculties, and guests of either. The scenery is pretty fantastic, and allows for a variety of different shots: open fields, water hazards, elevation changes, and moderately wooded holes. Concrete tee boxes are a plus on the yellow tees and two of the blues. Pin placements change once in a while for most of the holes, and with two avid disc golfers and a decent DG community, the course is continuing to grow and develop still.

The course plays pretty straightforward, and is fairly useful for just about any level of player, from the beginners to the pro's.
Cons: The blue tees, which offer a challenge, are poorly marked, hard to find, and not maintained much at all. They are just grass/dirt that has come through with erosion of the players who have found them.

Lack of garbage and the emptying of the few there are on the course can cause a bit of garbage to find itself laying around- but usually it's a very clean course.
Other Thoughts: Challenging course, friendly community, dedicated people working to make it better.

**If you play this course, please DO NOT destroy the trees or course. The disc golf community at Bethel has tried very hard at getting this course going, and it won't take too many events of people continuing to rip up trees or littering or causing a ruckus to have it removed. If you are visiting, try to be on your best behavior please and thanks.**

Great course

1    4/17/2009   4/18/2009
Review By: varzac
Pros: I agree with posborne a lot. I am also a student at Bethel and get a chance to play this course almost everyday, and often times twice a day. I find Bethel's course significantly more diverse and challenging than many of the other courses in the area (Hansen and Silverview for example).

Good mix of distance as well as the type of shots necessary.

It's not a very busy course.
Cons: Most of the blue tees still don't have cement tee pads.

At the wrong time of the year, it's easy to end up in a big patch of burrs.

If you are unlucky enough to throw into the water (or get a bad bounce off of a tree into the water), the weeds can make it hard to find even if you are willing to go wading and looking for it.

Only one trashcan on the course.
Other Thoughts: This is by far one of my favorite courses. It is a lot of fun, close to where I live, and generally not real busy. I do, however, have to pick up trash almost every time I play the course. If you do play this course please throw your trash away, and not on the ground.

Solid Course

5+    4/11/2009   4/11/2009
Review By: posborne
Pros: I am a student at Bethel and have played the course nearly every day this past year (barring the winter months). I have played a number of other courses in the area but still continue to love and be challenged by this course every time I play it.

The course has 9 pins but one can play 18 holes straight through if they play the 'yellow' tees followed by the blue tees. These are not very well marked, so it might be beneficial to go with someone who has played the course before. Neither the yellow nor the blue is the 'long' tee. They should be of comparable difficulty with blue being easier some of the time and yellow being easier some of the time.

All yellow and some of the blue teepads are now concrete with possible plans to cement the remaining blue tees (or possibly add 9 more holes).

Course Highlights:
* Tricky shot between a group of dense evergreens on 1
* Lake on 4 forces a tricky, long heiser shot for RH/BH players. I've lost a few discs here.
* Close but tricky drop shot on 5 through trees (with yellow tee). This is the only hole I have aced.
* Tricky gap to hit on 6 with one of the tee positions being in a gap in the woods to the right.
* Long drive from high up on 7 lets you unload, while still forcing you to stay within the 125 ft fairway with dense woods on either side.
Cons: Signage is missing from the course, so it is essential to go with an experienced player (since it is a private course, probably a student).

During the late summer the woods and grasses get thick and it is easy to lose discs. Make sure to have a spotter if you are playing in a group. Just a little extra motivation to keep it on the fairway.
Other Thoughts: This is an excellent course and there is still student and faculty interest (including a credited Disc Golf course) in keeping it going/growing. If you play the course please do not leave trash on the course and be respectful of the course.

We would like to keep the course growing but this is impossible if the course is not adding positively to the campus ecosystem.