North Plains, OR
Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge Share
Uploaded By: Adam Schneider Hole #6 (Taken 9/2009)
Hole #6 Tee: Steeply uphill, then left

Imbalanced, but fun

1    7/8/2013   10/7/2014
Review By: superberry
Pros: Scenic secluded beauty. The setting is very nice, basically a larger recreation area resort style place that has three disc golf courses. There are times though that weddings and other events take precedence and close portions of the disc course.
Risky greens with baskets perched on or near ridges for fear of rollaways with missed putts.
Pay to play keeps the trash factor down, and they have a great restroom facility and other amenities on site. Not much for refreshments though and we should have planned something to eat for lunch better.
Elevation along the ridge was great and kept things interesting as the only real variety amongst the woods. Uphill, downhill, sidehill, ridge to ridge, etc. all sorts of holes scattered along and over the ridge.
Cons: Imbalanced in terms of variety. It's really nothing more than a very wooded course. The one long open hole didn't appeal to me with its shepherd hook approach to the green.
The baskets cannot be PDGA approved, I think there is some mistake. The inner basket diameter dimension must have been referenced from the outside edge of the old wheel they are constructed of. They did not seem "up to par" the entire day, definitely did not play or catch like other PDGA approved targets.
I didn't get a sense for risk/reward on many holes. What I mean is there wasn't a smaller gap cutting across the dogleg, or offering a shorter flight to the pin if you chose to try and throw right at the pin. he fairways were mainly defined with various wider curved fairways and sporadic trees scattered in the midst.
Signs. While they were nice and aesthetically appealing, I feel they did not do a good job truly depicting the routes through the abundance of trees. After throwing down the wrong "airway" to hidden pins a few times, I found myself walking down almost all fairways to see the pins.
Hazards and other water features really don't come into play on this course except maybe a few really bad throws near the end (not including the pond holes which aren't part of the regular layout).
Overlap and interference on the holes 10-13 was pretty bad. I don't remember exactly, but two of those holes seemed to parallel each other for a portion of the fairway, and I believe hole 12 or 14 plays back toward those same fairways along the edge of the field. This area was also hard to navigate, but my biggest con was the overlapping interference potential.
Other Thoughts: I was very excited to play this complex on my way into Portland. I was still very glad I played, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to play if on business or travelling with the family. I'd have focused my efforts on getting to Whistlers Bend and/or Milo.
With that being said, I played both the harder courses on a super hot day, but still had a great fun day. I was horribly underwhelmed by this Meadow Ridge course mainly because I crave variety, not just holes through tight woods. It was just monotonous after a while, and the undergrowth was also pretty thick which took a while looking for discs shanked off trees.
Honestly I couldn't believe it was ever even close to being a Top 10 course! It's not a bad course, don't get me wrong. It was also fun, but it sorely lacked the variety and diversity to make a gorgeous top 10 course.

Can't call it perfection

2-4    6/20/2010   9/5/2010
Review By: discallday
This review was updated on 9/8/2010
Pros: It's all been said before...
The tee pads are super long and grippy
Excellent tee signs with distances and directions to the next tee pad.
Here, we have par fours and fives
All sorts of elevation changes (and some interesting natural (?) tiered fairways)
No lack of "challenge"
SOME nice vistas
The course has some yet to be developed potential
Cons: Obviously, I disagree with many of the other reviewers, so here it goes…

Though the staff has clearly put an admirable amount of work into this course, I think a number of the holes are inherently flawed due to lack of flight-path definition. Holes 4, 11, 13, and the first bit of 16 require uphill chucks through undefined fairways (these are either too dense or too wide open). Hole 8 is fun, but as others have said, it's a bit of a crap shoot (as is 14, with all the branches). 1 is even a bit of a crap shoot, but I think I like it simply because it's the first hole, and I haven't been worn down yet.

It's a little easy to lose discs on this course because parts are simply impossible to maintain; and I wouldn't ask anybody to try to keep the entire course maintained because of the elevation and already loose earth. Too much trimming will contribute to the erosion problems I think the staff must already be fighting. But as a result of the terrain, many of the holes are not pure gems (as one reviewer says), but are actually just not that fun to play. (Please note that my problem is not necessarily with disc loss potential, but with impracticality - and consequent lack - of optimal course maintenance).

While this course asks one to execute a wide range of shot types, too many of the holes do not give you sufficient choice about how you get to the basket. I'm talking about multiple well defined fairways, and shot choices per hole. Multiple options are what keep a course fresh. Holes that limit choice have the tendency to become boring after a few rounds. The "perfect course" should have few to none of these.
I agree with Valkyrie Kid that Meadow Ridge is not quite scenic enough. I need some more variety in terms of vegetation, and water if I'm going to give something a 5 disc rating.

*update - oh, and isn't there only one set of pin placements?
Other Thoughts: This course is tough. I'm sure others will think that I'm a wimp for voicing my relative disapproval of this course that has yet to receive only one review under 4.5. But a course is not laudable merely on the basis of requiring difficult shots, possessing extreme elevation changes, and innovative tee-pads and baskets.

The two other on-site courses definitely make Hornings' a wonderful disc golf destination, but each course should be rated by itself.

I think this course has definitely improved since it first opened (duh), and will continue to improve gradually, with maturity. But right now, I must disagree with the throng and it's criteria for perfection. Meadow Ridge might get there someday, but since I believe there is a lot of room for improvement, I have to say that it is not there yet.