North Plains, OR
Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge Share
Uploaded By: Adam Schneider Hole #2 (Taken 9/2009)
Hole #2 Tee: Dogleg right

Can't call it perfection

2-4    6/20/2010   9/5/2010
Review By: discallday
This review was updated on 9/8/2010
Pros: It's all been said before...
The tee pads are super long and grippy
Excellent tee signs with distances and directions to the next tee pad.
Here, we have par fours and fives
All sorts of elevation changes (and some interesting natural (?) tiered fairways)
No lack of "challenge"
SOME nice vistas
The course has some yet to be developed potential
Cons: Obviously, I disagree with many of the other reviewers, so here it goes…

Though the staff has clearly put an admirable amount of work into this course, I think a number of the holes are inherently flawed due to lack of flight-path definition. Holes 4, 11, 13, and the first bit of 16 require uphill chucks through undefined fairways (these are either too dense or too wide open). Hole 8 is fun, but as others have said, it's a bit of a crap shoot (as is 14, with all the branches). 1 is even a bit of a crap shoot, but I think I like it simply because it's the first hole, and I haven't been worn down yet.

It's a little easy to lose discs on this course because parts are simply impossible to maintain; and I wouldn't ask anybody to try to keep the entire course maintained because of the elevation and already loose earth. Too much trimming will contribute to the erosion problems I think the staff must already be fighting. But as a result of the terrain, many of the holes are not pure gems (as one reviewer says), but are actually just not that fun to play. (Please note that my problem is not necessarily with disc loss potential, but with impracticality - and consequent lack - of optimal course maintenance).

While this course asks one to execute a wide range of shot types, too many of the holes do not give you sufficient choice about how you get to the basket. I'm talking about multiple well defined fairways, and shot choices per hole. Multiple options are what keep a course fresh. Holes that limit choice have the tendency to become boring after a few rounds. The "perfect course" should have few to none of these.
I agree with Valkyrie Kid that Meadow Ridge is not quite scenic enough. I need some more variety in terms of vegetation, and water if I'm going to give something a 5 disc rating.

*update - oh, and isn't there only one set of pin placements?
Other Thoughts: This course is tough. I'm sure others will think that I'm a wimp for voicing my relative disapproval of this course that has yet to receive only one review under 4.5. But a course is not laudable merely on the basis of requiring difficult shots, possessing extreme elevation changes, and innovative tee-pads and baskets.

The two other on-site courses definitely make Hornings' a wonderful disc golf destination, but each course should be rated by itself.

I think this course has definitely improved since it first opened (duh), and will continue to improve gradually, with maturity. But right now, I must disagree with the throng and it's criteria for perfection. Meadow Ridge might get there someday, but since I believe there is a lot of room for improvement, I have to say that it is not there yet.