North Plains, OR
Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge Share
Uploaded By: Bob Horning Hole #8 (Taken 10/2009)
Hole #8 Approach

Fun and Scenic!

1    10/10/2014   10/11/2014
Review By: Scott64a
Pros: Very well laid out, lots of challenging holes. Being a pro course, they had to have a par 5 on it. Hole 16 delivers. 930 ft!
This course has a lot of really scenic views and is a real blast to play.
Cons: This course is really hard to find when walking in from the parking area. I was told, "Go down behind the bathrooms and walk up the road a little bit." Turns out, that's not enough info to find it. I wandered around the fish pond and met a fellow who was working the turf for erosion control, and he got me to where I need to be. Turns out it was Bob Horning, who is a really nice guy. They need to put some signs up showing how to get to this course.
Other Thoughts: If you are planning to play 54 holes at this group of courses, play this course second and finish with the Canyon. This course is a solid hike and will wear you out a little.

Difficult and Fun

1    6/2/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: Rusty Shackleford
This review was updated on 8/28/2013
Pros: This is a tough course but it is well designed. There is a way (or two) to get to the basket from every tee, but not an easy way.

There's a lot of variation. All of the holes are interesting and require a little thinking.

Tee pads, signs, baskets are all excellent. I actually like these baskets better than any others I've played both because the yellow stands out and for the nice bell sound they can make.
Cons: Roll aways! The hills are so steep putters will roll to the bottom of them if you overshoot the basket and a lot of the baskets are in front of steep downhills. On a hot or wet day chasing a disc down a hill then playing back up gets old fast.

Hole #6. I'm really not a fan of throwing up steep hills, but it's part of the game.
Other Thoughts: This is among the must play courses in Oregon.

With nice onsite camping and 3 x 18 courses Horning's is not to be missed.

An Interesting Experience. . .

1    7/12/2011   7/14/2011
Review By: austoroc
Pros: The wonderful aspects of this course has to do with the variety of the holes along with the challenges that comes with it.

You truly will want to dig deep in your disc golf bag for discs that may work best for a particular shot you are facing. Unlike many courses you may have played at, many of the shots you will have to make will force you to use different throwing techniques, different standing positions (or kneeling for that matter), and you will also have to think a bit more about your strategies.

Cons: The navigation from hole to the next hole was sketchy on few occasions, but it's nothing to seriously gripe about.

I found some of the paths I was required to walk to between holes somewhat tedious. You'll need to be careful about walking downhill on some of the steep hills. (such as on hole #8!) I imagine when it's dry and dusty, erosion will be an issue because many of those paths (downhill or uphills) would benefit from having some homemade "stairs" (for lack of better word) being built.

I think it would be very beneficial if the course had additional shorter tee pads for each hole to make the course a bit easier for some people who wanted to experience Meadow Ridge but did not have the arms to throw far. (especially on the 16th hole!)
Other Thoughts: I found this course to be an very interesting experience, as I don't think I ever remember playing at a course that had so many elevation changes.

While I am not a seasoned pro, I have enough experience that I can enjoy this course. I just find this course a bit too tough to enjoy if I had brought friends who may not be serious disc golfers.

I would want to play at some other classic courses before even considering giving this course a score higher than 4. Based on my own playing experiences, I would rate this to be excellent, because it's truly an original course with abundant challenges for the best players while still enjoyable for people like myself.

Bring Advil

1    11/13/2010   11/19/2010
Review By: Tiets1
Pros: Elevation, Great Tee Pads, Great signage, Utilizes all your throws; Tough baskets (and unique) you better hit those chains; must be accurate or you will pay.
Cons: Need a spotter on several holes which can be tough when you all want to stay at the tee; Basket areas on many holes positioned on the edges of drop-offs which force you to play short of baskets.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time out to this course and you can not help but smile the entire way around! Best to play with someone who has played before (none of us had) and that makes it very difficult to select drivers and know where to aim and or how much to rip it or place your throws. On several holes, i threw way too far on blind doglegs, thinking "if I would have know I would have never thrown like that" But, next time, wow, it is going to be great!!!

Can't [quite] call it perfection

2-4    6/20/2010   9/5/2010
Review By: discallday
This review was updated on 10/27/2014
Pros: It's all been said before...
The tee pads are super long and grippy
Excellent tee signs with distances and directions to the next tee pad.
Here, we have par fours and fives
All sorts of elevation changes (and some interesting natural (?) tiered fairways)
No lack of "challenge"
SOME nice vistas
The course has some yet to be developed potential
Cons: Obviously, I disagree with many of the other reviewers, so here it goes…

Though there is much to love about this course, I think a couple of the holes suffer from a lack of flight-path definition. Holes 11 and 13 each have walls of trees that make reaching the hole a little too dependent on luck. Hole 8 is fun, but as others have said, it's a bit of a crap shoot. With all the branches, 14 is kind of the same way, but I kind of like the shorter placement-required par 4 now. I had previously reviewed 1 as a bit of a crap shoot, but I think it's opened up to be a little more fair now, but still plenty challenging.

It's a little easy to lose discs on this course because parts are simply impossible to maintain; and I wouldn't ask anybody to try to keep the entire course maintained because of the elevation and already loose earth. Too much trimming will contribute to the erosion problems I think the staff must already be fighting.

While this course asks one to execute a wide range of shot types, too many of the holes do not give you sufficient choice about how you get to the basket. I'm talking about multiple well defined fairways, and shot choices per hole. Multiple options are what keep a course fresh. Holes that limit choice have the tendency to become boring after a few rounds. The "perfect course" should have few to none of these. My ideal course for flight path options would be Pier Park which has 2 or more considerably different options for most holes.
I agree with Valkyrie Kid that Meadow Ridge is not quite scenic enough. I need some more variety in terms of vegetation, and water if I'm going to give something a 5 disc rating.

*update - oh, and isn't there only one set of pin placements?
**update 2 (10/27/2014) - Some of the narrow fairways have opened up to be more fair in my opinion, and I am updating my rating from 3.5 to 4.
Other Thoughts: This course is tough. I'm sure others will think that I'm a wimp for voicing my relative disapproval of this course that has yet to receive only one review under 4.5. But a course is not laudable merely on the basis of requiring difficult shots, possessing extreme elevation changes, and innovative tee-pads and baskets.

The two other on-site courses definitely make Hornings' a wonderful disc golf destination, but each course should be rated by itself.

I think this course has definitely improved since it first opened (duh), and will continue to improve gradually, with maturity. But right now, I must disagree with the throng and it's criteria for perfection. Meadow Ridge might get there someday, but since I believe there is a lot of room for improvement, I have to say that it is not there yet.

*update (10/27/2014) - I now think the only thing that could be asked of this course is another set of pin placements. That would warrant a 4.5 rating in my book.

Excellent Course - Challenging

5+    5/16/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: murphomatic
Pros: This is one of my most favorite courses. Extraordinarily challenging, many wooded holes, many blind holes, lots of area, lots of difficult terrain makes this more of a serious woodland hike than a simple disc golf session. 18 holes, one of which is 925 ft from tee to pin, makes it a nice, long course. Good signage and concrete tees on every hole.
Cons: The pars ratings on some of the holes are a bit ridiculous. The trees can be a bit frustrating when you're chopping them down with your disc on every single drive. It's a bit of a drive to get out there, but worth it.
Other Thoughts: Love this course! I love to head out to Horning's and play a round on the Canyon course to warm up, and then switch up to Meadow Ridge. By the end of the day, I've gotten one hell of a workout in. Makes for a good fun way to do cardio.