North Plains, OR
Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge Share
Uploaded By: Bob Horning Hole #14 (Taken 10/2009)
Hole #14 Tee, 575' long, 57' drop. Hole has a 200' shot down to field, 300' left curve through field, dogleg left to target

Difficult and Fun

1    6/2/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: Rusty Shackleford
This review was updated on 8/28/2013
Pros: This is a tough course but it is well designed. There is a way (or two) to get to the basket from every tee, but not an easy way.

There's a lot of variation. All of the holes are interesting and require a little thinking.

Tee pads, signs, baskets are all excellent. I actually like these baskets better than any others I've played both because the yellow stands out and for the nice bell sound they can make.
Cons: Roll aways! The hills are so steep putters will roll to the bottom of them if you overshoot the basket and a lot of the baskets are in front of steep downhills. On a hot or wet day chasing a disc down a hill then playing back up gets old fast.

Hole #6. I'm really not a fan of throwing up steep hills, but it's part of the game.
Other Thoughts: This is among the must play courses in Oregon.

With nice onsite camping and 3 x 18 courses Horning's is not to be missed.

An Interesting Experience. . .

1    7/12/2011   7/14/2011
Review By: austoroc
Pros: The wonderful aspects of this course has to do with the variety of the holes along with the challenges that comes with it.

You truly will want to dig deep in your disc golf bag for discs that may work best for a particular shot you are facing. Unlike many courses you may have played at, many of the shots you will have to make will force you to use different throwing techniques, different standing positions (or kneeling for that matter), and you will also have to think a bit more about your strategies.

Cons: The navigation from hole to the next hole was sketchy on few occasions, but it's nothing to seriously gripe about.

I found some of the paths I was required to walk to between holes somewhat tedious. You'll need to be careful about walking downhill on some of the steep hills. (such as on hole #8!) I imagine when it's dry and dusty, erosion will be an issue because many of those paths (downhill or uphills) would benefit from having some homemade "stairs" (for lack of better word) being built.

I think it would be very beneficial if the course had additional shorter tee pads for each hole to make the course a bit easier for some people who wanted to experience Meadow Ridge but did not have the arms to throw far. (especially on the 16th hole!)
Other Thoughts: I found this course to be an very interesting experience, as I don't think I ever remember playing at a course that had so many elevation changes.

While I am not a seasoned pro, I have enough experience that I can enjoy this course. I just find this course a bit too tough to enjoy if I had brought friends who may not be serious disc golfers.

I would want to play at some other classic courses before even considering giving this course a score higher than 4. Based on my own playing experiences, I would rate this to be excellent, because it's truly an original course with abundant challenges for the best players while still enjoyable for people like myself.

Bring Advil

1    11/13/2010   11/19/2010
Review By: Tiets1
Pros: Elevation, Great Tee Pads, Great signage, Utilizes all your throws; Tough baskets (and unique) you better hit those chains; must be accurate or you will pay.
Cons: Need a spotter on several holes which can be tough when you all want to stay at the tee; Basket areas on many holes positioned on the edges of drop-offs which force you to play short of baskets.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time out to this course and you can not help but smile the entire way around! Best to play with someone who has played before (none of us had) and that makes it very difficult to select drivers and know where to aim and or how much to rip it or place your throws. On several holes, i threw way too far on blind doglegs, thinking "if I would have know I would have never thrown like that" But, next time, wow, it is going to be great!!!

Excellent Course - Challenging

5+    5/16/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: murphomatic
Pros: This is one of my most favorite courses. Extraordinarily challenging, many wooded holes, many blind holes, lots of area, lots of difficult terrain makes this more of a serious woodland hike than a simple disc golf session. 18 holes, one of which is 925 ft from tee to pin, makes it a nice, long course. Good signage and concrete tees on every hole.
Cons: The pars ratings on some of the holes are a bit ridiculous. The trees can be a bit frustrating when you're chopping them down with your disc on every single drive. It's a bit of a drive to get out there, but worth it.
Other Thoughts: Love this course! I love to head out to Horning's and play a round on the Canyon course to warm up, and then switch up to Meadow Ridge. By the end of the day, I've gotten one hell of a workout in. Makes for a good fun way to do cardio.