North Plains, OR
Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge Share
Uploaded By: Bob Horning Hole #1 (Taken 10/2009)
Hole #1 Tee: 325' long, 28' drop

Loved It

1    3/16/2013   3/28/2013
Review By: joshkns
Pros: -Elevation
-No Non Disc Golf Traffic
-Great Baskets, Awesome Teepads & Signs
-Great Flow
-Clean
-Course Forces a variety of Shots
-Restrooms
-Onsite Camping
Cons: None For Me
Other Thoughts: After reading other reviews I was almost dreading playing this course, just because im not really that good of a player. I must say it is a tough course but I had a blast playing it. Even with the great elevation the way the trails are set up you don't feel beat up walking to the higher up holes.
I really wish other courses had the same teepad signs, makes life so much easier for the shot and finding the next teepad.
The one other thing which I Don't consider a con is you should defiantly play with someone else or have a spotter this course.

Treeeeeeeesssss!

2-4    2/9/2013   2/12/2013
Review By: Ocelotl
Pros: Let me start this out by saying this is by far the best, hardest, most challenging (occasionally frustrating) course Ive ever had the pleasure to play.

-Shot variety- I only had a small travel bag with me when I played here, I was WOEFULLY underequipped to handle the variety of shots needed to get pars, let alone birdies here. Bring your full bag of tricks to the meadow course, and be prepared to use it all.

Tee Signs/Pads- Large, clean cement pads with very detailed signs to keep you on track, all pertinent info including directions to the next tee are listed, really well done.

-Highlight Holes:
#7, Long dogleg right that keeps turning down to a basket perched on the edge a hill, all through a pretty damn tight window. I dont think ive ever seen a hole challenge me to throw this particular shot, I did not succeed at all, but had fun trying!
#8, top of the world shot, 400+ft down hill through the trees to a mostly hidden basket, I could stand there all day and launch discs, one of the holes I was bummed to be playing by myself because it is really hard to track discs that get off track.
#10, Another very challenging dogleg right that just kicks your ass if you get off line at all. And again another shot I had never been challenged to throw before. While not the case with everyone I enjoy playing some holes that I just cant seem to get right, challenging me to improve.

-Scenery, set way up in the hills in north plains this place is nothing short of spectacular, long vistas, tons of trees, a lake, and river, something to stare at in every direction.
Cons: My only nit to pick would be a better sign pointing the way to 1's tee pad, I ended up wandering around a little looking for it, but all in all nothing to make the day less than awesome.
Other Thoughts: I played two solo rounds on this course, there is enough blind shots and hidden hills that it is a pretty tough solo round. Got lucky enough to speak to Bob H. who was working on a construction project near the parking lot and had a few pointers on a couple holes, listen if you get the opportunity it is well worth your time.

huge challenge!

1    5/20/2011   5/30/2011
Review By: DutchViking
Pros: World Class Course at a World Class facility!
18 very tough holes for the Serious Disc Golfer that will test every aspect of your game as well as you temper (at times) Definitely designed for pros and masochists, but amateurs will do fine also
Great tee pads and Unique but functional baskets--i didn't really have an issue with the baskets, I think they add character to the facility

Uphill/Downhill/Left/Right/Tight Windows/Low Ceilings/Big and Little Dog legs/Tight and Technical/Long and Open/Everything! Tons of variety and no easy or filler holes.
Very clean and well placed port-O-pottys
Consistently this course rewarded skill and not luck

Standout Holes:
#1 Lets you know what you are about to get into! Very tight windows for a very controlled anhyzer or hyzer down hill to a well protected basket with a sharp drop off behind and the terrain practically invites a roll away. I took a 4, luckily.

#6 Uphill and with narrow fairway and unforgiving rows of trees on both sides, AND big dog leg left about 150 feet with plenty more danger with trees and possible rolling down the hill. My par shot chained out.

#8 421 ft. with 124 below makes this a pretty cool shot already, but add huge trees and crazy tight routes and it becomes epic. Then add the incredible views of a lush green valley surrounded by huge tree spotted hills and it becomes unforgettable. It didn't matter that I carded a 5 after my par shot went past the basket and down into the meadow, I was insanely high on disc golf. Loved it!

#10 550 ft Par 4 was the most brutal hole on the course, except for the 930 footer #16. 150 down a tree lines fairway, then huge dog leg right and slightly uphill for 350 ft. THIS ONE WILL EXPOSE EVERY WEAKNESS OF YOUR GAME! It may very well take you down a peg,

#18 this is an awesome and memorable ending hole. It starts as clear meadow that narrows sharply with trees on both sides and the basket on a hill. Very tough to hit that line and get it near enough to the basket to have a chance for deuce. Play for a tough par.

Cons: I did not really care for the 930 footer, long and straight for 850 and then hope and pray to get it close to the basket for a 5. Blind pin location after 3 drives did not help.
Possibly a few navigation issues at 1 or 2 spots, but I was playing with very few on the course with the rain coming. This can and I'm sure will be fixed with simple, well placed arrows.
Other than that not much to gripe about, period. this course really is special, just like the whole property.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course and property lived up to its hype. Course is beautiful (especially at the top of the world shot #10) and very tough and a huge variety of shots, any player will have their work cut out for them if they are going to finish their round at par. Also, only $3!! they could probably charge more, but I feel that this course is in line with most disc golfers' motto; keep it cheap! This place is worth so much more than that, and all who have played here should feel truly grateful. Plan to spend all day here and bring a lunch and drinks.

I only played this course once, and although I normally like to review after a couple of rounds, this course really made a very strong impression on me. That being said, this course really kicked my ass, but I also had quite a few shots that rocked.

Rating this against all other disc courses I have played, only the Legendary DeLaVeaga in Santa Cruz compares. I rated them both 5. Plan a trip so you can see what we all are raving about.

Premier Spot to Play Disc

1    9/22/2010   9/23/2010
Review By: bigdank
Pros: Three courses to play. Easy, Medium, Hard. I have played all three in one day multiple times and I love it more every time I play.
Cons: The baskets take some getting used too. I would prefer Pro Baskets over the Home Made.
Other Thoughts: No other places around like HH

Best of the Northwest!

1    9/8/2010   9/18/2010
Review By: Daffron24
Pros: Tucked away in the country of Oregon, Hornets Hideout is an amazing campus of 3 memorable courses. Meadow ridge is the most difficult of the 3 as it is rated a gold level course. This being said, it is not a beginner course. You will be challenged in every single way.
The course winds through a nice mix of open and wooded areas that flow seamlessly through the entire property. The well-defined fairways along with amazing tee sign which show exactly where the holes are, hole length, and even elevation change make this a course easy to follow. All of the baskets are custom (I think old cars rims at are painted). Tee pads are clay which have amazing grip. The course maintained very well by the owners who are very friendly and helpful.
The course uses every hill, tree, and whatever else you can think of to the fullest. The elevation on this course allows for you to be tested shooting up hills as well as down them. One of the most memorable holes on this course was #8. This top of the world shot is a 420' shot downhill that is slightly wooded and a very fun shot. It has difficulty along with a very scenic view of Oregon's beautiful trees. Meadow ridge is designed for every dg to be tested using all of the shots in the book as well as gives the dg'er to shoot at a variety of distances. This course is mainly technical, but does offer a few open shots.
The grounds offer restrooms, running water, camping on site, as well as plenty of parking the grass….just don't run over a peacock.
The overall challenge of this course is a 5/5. The overall challenge of this course along with everything this course as well as the other two offer make this one of the best courses in the world and quite possibly the best course in the Northwest.
Cons: The only real con for me was finding the course. I am not from the Portland area and I had a hard time finding the course.
Other Thoughts: Meadow ridge is a premier dg destination. The atmosphere of the course is amazing. The friendly locals help make this experience something you'll always remember. This picturesque course will be a course you'll tell all of your friends about. Make sure to bring your walking shoes, bug spray, and an umbrella.

Oregon's Most Challenging Disc Golf

2-4    6/24/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: JHern
Pros: Following a nice drive west from Portland, one veers off into the countryside and eventually finds themselves winding down into a canyon road with strange bird calls echoing all around (peacocks, of all things!) and a group of buildings with a nice hippy farm commune-like vibe going on...all very good and very nice.

This course is among the most challenging I've ever played, and also has some of the most unique holes of any course in the history of the sport. There are long holes through dense forest. Even longer holes through a rolling meadow. Lots of up and down through mixed open and tight foliage, pick a route and cross your fingers! A signature downhill hole (#8) through heavy woods (this is not common amoung top-of-the-world-like holes). The nastiest right dog leg down-up combo I've ever seen (#9) that is intensely challenging even though it is short.

This course will punish everyone at some point, and over 3 rounds you'll face nearly every kind of difficult shot that this sport can muster. We also played part of a round with some pros and saw how a truly good player can rise to the challenge of crowded fairways and long tosses, the necessity of landing tough upshots, nailing long putts through traffic, etc..

Nasty OBs, challenging mandos, huge risks, etc., all await the thrower. I lost my favorite putter on #8 after kicking far left off a tree, but they later found it and are holding it for me at the main house (can't wait to go back and claim it, and play again!).

Hole 16: This was a tough hole, truly a par 5. It plays over some rolling hills in the relative open, then around a tree in a gorge to the left and back the other way in the valley. Wow! You'll need three well-placed 300-400' drives to get up to the landing position, then a very controlled upshot back down the valley in the other direction in order to make par. Getting it in the basket in 4 throws would be a phenomenally well-played hole.

I must say I love the signage, the custom baskets (what great yellow paint!), the tees, and the craftsman-like atmosphere created about the course and the property in general. This place really is a special oasis away from the rest of the world. And you can go play 2 other very fun 18 hole courses on the same property when you've cut your teeth on Oregon's best/most challenging course and want a more casual round.
Cons: They were still doing a lot of maintenance on the course when I was there, hacking out some undergrowth and doing some burns. This was a bit distracting, even if it didn't directly impact the holes we were playing at the time.
Other Thoughts: This is a new course through pretty rough foliage. I feel like the "rough-around-the-edges" aspect of the course is something that will improve with use and time. Foot traffic will better define fairways. Undergrowth and debris will be cleared out (it should anyways, to prevent fires). Regular maintenance will find an equilibrium, it is a learning process.

This is not a course for newer players...I would recommend this only to ~850/900-rated and up.

Use spotters! If you don't, I guarantee you will lose a disc (or more).

The Best Around

1    8/4/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: Harry Caray
Pros: -Really nice mixture of shots...forehand and backhand
-Unique holes...utilizes the terrain well
-Owners are 'friendly"
Cons: -None...if you have complaints about this course or how rugged it is, you should cease disc golfing
Other Thoughts: This course is of course a real challenge, but it isn't unfair. Good shots are rewarded...bad shots aren't. I'd love to see a PDGA event come to this course

Excellent. Truth.

5+    7/22/2010   7/22/2010
Review By: Jessenumber1
Pros: Elevation changes make long wooded holes play comfortably. Pin placement is perfect with few places you won't have a clear shot within the 10m ring. Signage is the best I've ever seen with all trees correctly marked and flight paths laid out.
Cons: Occasionally bugs are a factor. Some holes have a little big of a hazard in steep drop-offs and heavily wooded areas. But those can hardly be considered cons.
Other Thoughts: No better place to play in Oregon. 3 courses with increasing difficulty makes for a perfect 2 in the AM and 1 in the PM with a lunch in between.

1    7/10/2010   7/15/2010
Review By: Scottycb1
Pros: Great Course
Use of Elevation
Excellent Fairways even on tough holes
Lot of thought put into design
Tough Course
Great use of par 4's and 1 par 5
Cons: NOT BEGINNER FRIENDLY, there is 2 other courses at Hornings that can be played by beginners.

A little rough if you get off trails
Other Thoughts: I went out there with another buddy of mine who is also a pro and we were amazed by the layout of this course. The combination of long and medium range holes that force you to throw every shot in your bag was great. The camphost warned us that it would take 3:30 to 4:00 hours to play. It took the 2 of us just over 2 hours at a pretty laid back pace. The park does cost 3 dollars to play but when a course like that is built money will never be an issue for dedicated players.

GO PLAY THIS COURSE, Its one of Oregon's best up there with Milo Mciver and Whistlers Bend

Awesomeness

1    7/9/2010   7/10/2010
Review By: Bdugan85
Pros: Everything was marked an easy to find, only had to pay $6 bucks for 2 people all day, 3 different course to choose from, cheap snacks an drinks, you can go fishing or a 30 min boat ride afterwards, Absolutely the BEST COURSE I HAVE EVER PLAYED ON!!
Cons: wear bug repellent if its hot out, and watch for stinging nettles off the fairways (they hurt!).
Other Thoughts: Go there, NOW, GO, HURRY, ITS AMAZING AND SO MUCH FUN!! LEAVE ALREADY...