Hill AFB, UT
Falcon's Nest Share
Uploaded By: TheGrim Hole #2 (Taken 8/2013)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Falcon's Nest

1    8/26/2013   8/28/2013
Review By: TheGrim
Pros: I was pleasantly surprised by this course, and would give it a much better rating if not for the cons that I'll cover in a second.

The area is absolutely beautiful. You get to play disc golf while jets take off over your head! How cool is that?

The baskets are in great shape. The holes are great lengths. Only one 280ish hole, the rest were easily 300+ which was nice. There is a TON of space out there and it's used in a very fluid way with great use of elevation and trees to make shots tough.

Multiple tee pads on nearly every hole. Some of the "pro" tee pads were pretty crazy.

There's a bonus 10th hole which throws back toward the tee pad for 1. I hear there is another basket somewhere also but I didn't see it.
Cons: There are a few cons that really bring the rating for this little gem down. First of all, it's on the base, so you have to have someone sponsor you to go on there if you aren't already authorized. This means that the course isn't used much. Sounds awesome, right? No! Because of this it is neglected. The weeds can be insane and make finding even the tee pads extremely difficult, much less your discs.

The tee pads are a bit rough and uneven. They aren't horrible, but watch your step.

The baskets are mobile, which isn't horrible, but it means that people can move the baskets around, which they do. I updated the course map for where they currently are, but that will probably change.

No tee signs, (probably because the baskets get moved around) and the numbers on the baskets don't match up, making the flow a bit awkward. Lucky for me I had a guide.
Other Thoughts: This really was a surprisingly good course. I had expected a few baskets in the middle of a knee-high field of weeds, but I was happy to see a well designed, fun and challenging course.

Park at the NE corner of the field by going to the East end of Golf Club Rd. The tee pad for hole 1 is on the East side of the road and throws West. The pad for 2 is the only one that's not really easy to see from the basket of the previous hole. It's on the hill North of the basket for 1 and throws SW.

If it were well-maintained then this could score a 3-3.5 rating, but alas.

A Day on Hill AFB

2-4    7/16/2012   7/17/2012
Review By: H.O.G.S.
Pros: Beautiful surroundings, a few baskets placed on nice manicured "ball" golf grass. NO crowds, actually not a single person in sight.
Cons: No signage whatsoever. Very poor layout, some baskets have numbers on them, others don't. Some of the 9 baskets are portable so it looks as though others have moved them as they like. Tee pads are super narrow rubber type and not staked to ground.
Other Thoughts: I had the opportunity to play the DGC at Hill AFB, "Falcon's Nest". The course currently has 9 baskets, but the area the Air Force has designated for the course has the potential to easily become a 18 pin course. It's obvious not too many people play the course. It took me a while to find a place to park, after which I was hassled twice by the Air Force cops, not because my car was parked illegaly, but just because they told me that they never see cars parked on the side of the road before. I told them that I was there to disc golf and they had no idea a course was even there! Not too wise of their own surroundings. The course was impossible to navigate due to no signs, so I pretty much made up my own course. I enjoyed the layout, there are trees to deal with and winds were a constant, around 10 to 20 mph. This course could easily deserve a 4 rating if some TLC was given to it. But as with many other disc courses on military installations, they are rarely taken care of due to the nature of the transient lifestyle of military members. Play it if you are there and can get on to the base, nice way to enjoy the beautiful surroundings of Layton Utah. BRP