Oklahoma City, OK
Dolese Youth Park - East Share
Uploaded By: RocCityDiscer Hole #3 (Taken 5/2009)
Hole #3 Short Basket to Tee

1 2 3 4 Next >
 well balanced

1    3/19/2009   4/26/2009
Review By: DGtourist
This review was updated on 4/29/2009
Pros: This course has a wide range in hole type variety which change during a round by the handful. Some are flat with massive trees and well defined fairways like the "island." I started out playing with a local who informed me that he was only going to "play the island" which is holes 1,2, 16, 17, and 18. These island holes are all surrounded by a park street that is near a parking lot which is right at the start finish area. My compliments for a design that allows for players to play a few holes if they so desire. Another characteristic here, is small rolling hills with very interesting manmade elevated tee boxes and one nifty manmade elevated pyramid like basket position. These holes are near the pond at the beginning of the round. Then there are another set of holes that are tightly wooded near a shallow creek that have some decent elevation changes on either banks of the creek. The other aspect at Dolese is an open park setting that is sprinkled in and around the back when the course gets away from the creek, these mostly have long distances.

All of these different characteristics make for a well balanced and transition type of round. Each hole has a decent if not interesting basket placement and tee positions. Take for example number ten which by most standards would be open and boring, but they have the basket guarded by the creek-side vegetation after forcing you to bomb it out in the open which saves the hole and make it unique. This type of thought is evident throughout the course. The balance of the courses combines a park and natural setting, sort of a best of both worlds. This park has all the normal park amenities, there is parking overflow parking as well as other things to do to keep the non golfers in your party interested. When I played in March there was a porta john on the course.
Cons: Dolese, when I played, was very busy. It took me two attempts to bag this course, the first time was on a Friday close to the afternoon and it was such a madhouse that I went on to other courses knowing by the lines of people that I saw that it would take too far long to play properly. I came back on a Monday morning and there were still good sized groups. Each course transition has a new set of traffic flow issues, that naturally somehow thin out near the end. I would call this an urban course in that you will see people, there is not much in getting away from them. All of the people I encountered were very nice.

Even with a map handy, I got lost. I got somehow turned around and the next thing I knew, I skipped a hole. I guess there could be better signs, but I should take some of the blame for this too, since I'm not the brightest player to ever read a map. The course is kept in one side of the park and as a result there is a few filler holes.
Other Thoughts: This is the best OKC course that I played during my recent trip. Not too difficult of a round but honest and well balanced, the way a course should be. It is very close to Will Rogers Park, if this one happens to be busy are you are looking to bag another course. A well rounded course that is suitable for all skill types!

Best in the City

5+    7/5/2008   2/18/2009
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: My favorite in the city and gets played multiple times everytime Im there. Good long tee pads(for long run ups) with really cool granite inserts with nicknames of the hole. Good baskets and some really good lines. There are many types of shots here ranging from short and tight, long and open, and everything in between. Having an accurate short game and big arm are both bonuses here. Having shorts and long placements is a plus too. Tests all your skill here for being "just" a city park. This course rewards you for good shots and makes you pay for bad ones. Never real busy so you can play multiple rounds, fairly quick.
Cons: Kind of hard to follow the first time out but after a round you cant miss and its worth it. Shorts are too easy but still fun. Poison Ivy in the summer. Get your drinks before you tee off cause you dont go back near the cars.
Other Thoughts: Close to Will Rogers so make for a good combo.

A fun round a disc play

5+    12/15/2008   2/9/2009
Review By: JeffThroW
Pros: Not too thick not too open just right.Course flows well,Fairways are well defined,starts off easy gets harder later.
Cons: This is the first disc golf course I ever played I have nothing bad to say about it.
Other Thoughts: Coda Hatfields original Home course.Gives you a good feeling to walk thru Dolese park,a decent disc golf sanctuary.

Fun little course!

1    12/8/2007   11/6/2008
Review By: RustyP
Pros: I've only played this course once, but I had the pleasure of playing through with some very kind locals (including Joe Rotan, owner of Twisted Flyer).

The first few holes were in a flat but moderately wooded area - mostly short, but enough trees to keep it interesting. There were several holes with a good amount of elevation in play, others with thick underbrush, one blind shot, and several semi-open shots that allowed you to air one out. Great variety in type of shot required and distance required.

2 holes really stood out to me, but I can't remember the hole numbers. One played next to the street and was open for the first 3/4 of the hole, before playing downhill into a grove of trees. There's a picture posted of the other...tightly wooded, playing down then back uphill.
Cons: Could be difficult to find a few of the baskets, but again, I had some exprienced locals with me when I played, so this wasn't an issue.

There was one hole in particular where the basket you're supposed to throw to was out of sight, but another hole's basket was clearly visible...so even with the locals showing me through, I still managed to throw to the wrong basket :)
Other Thoughts: I definitely plan on going back here the next time I'm in Oklahoma City!

Bring a Local

1    10/25/2008   10/27/2008
Review By: gsw_03
Pros: As stated previously, this course has well-maintained fairways and a good mixture of short/technical and long/open holes. Great variety of shots can be thrown on most holes, but accuracy is paramount due to heavy shules in some areas. If you have played the course before and know the lines, there are plenty of scoring opportunities. The granite slab at the back of each tee box with the Hole # and Nickname is a very nice touch that I had not seen before. The lake also makes for some very nice views.
Cons: It is easy to get lost on the course, since many holes are not necessarily right next to each other. Some holes are long with pins tucked into the woods or around a dogleg, making a walk down the fairway almost mandatory. Lack of a course map near #1 does not help.
Other Thoughts: This is a course I would play regularly if I lived in the area.

why are the other ratings so high?

1    9/8/2008   9/8/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: - Tight, technical shots mixed with open and partially open. A few good long holes but not too many where being a big arm with no accuracy is helpful.
- Fairways well mowed.
- Raised basket but on a built up pyramid, with room to land under it.
Cons: - Map almost required to be able to effectively navigate, due to vandalism and no one has taken up the effort to mark the course since.
- Poison ivy can get heavy way off fairway, a couple times almost under the basket.
- Too many blind shots that make no sense over tall bushes, unable to watch your drive fly or have an idea where it's going.
- Many blocked lines, overgrown paths due to it's age and not being well maintained over the years.
- Nice tees sadly covered in heavy layer of sand and woodchips were real slippery and hard to clean off.
Other Thoughts: It's in pretty sad shape, really a lot of shots just killed by time. Some crazy illogical holes as well kill the overall rating.

A good short technical course

8/2/2008   8/9/2008
Review By: Highryder
Pros: I liked the layout. There's some technical shots and a couple of long holes.
Cons: a couple of the teepads on the shorter holes could be a little longer.
Other Thoughts: i left with one little line of poison ivy

8/7/2008   8/7/2008
Review By: bazillion
Pros: Variation is the main thing here. You've got holes that play through trees with bare dirt on the ground, holes that play through dense forest, holes that play over mown grass, short holes, long holes, a couple of serious anhyzer holes, even a stream and a pond that come into play here and there.
Cons: Brutal when it's hot. Poison ivy in the rough. That's about it.
Other Thoughts: I like this park a lot because it's right in the middle of the city and you can go get a tall cold one (or six) within walking distance.

Dolese

4/1/2008   4/1/2008
Review By: rwmurrow
Pros: This course is fun and challenging. It's brush grows and narrows many gaps in the spring and summer. The holes have an altrenate pin position that is easier and they are moved frequently and changes the difficulty of the course.
Cons: Poison Ivy grows a lot. I have never gotten a tick from there but many have left with pioson Ivy.

Dolese - Wooded and Thick, but Good!

5+    7/31/2009   3/11/2008
Review By: DG_Wizard
This review was updated on 8/4/2009
Pros: This course is a nice getaway. The holes are challenging, mostly due to the avoidance of trees and foliage. It gives the feel of taking a nice hike into the woods. Nice job of elevation changes. I love the island and the ability that it adds to just play a few holes.
Cons: This course is thick in places. When the foliage grows up, you can lose a disc easily. Some holes have a unique design requiring pinpoint accuracy through a maze of trees and foliage. Some of the throwing lanes are a bit more narrow than I am used to, but I do like the course a lot.
Other Thoughts: Perhaps I was a bit critical of this course initially. I have played it a few times since, and I enjoy it.

1 2 3 4 Next >