0 Helpful / 2 Not
fun easy round
Pros: grass was cut, baskets and layout was easy to navigate. Play took less than 20 mins.
Cons: a little too easy. The tee for hole three is not marked, I had to play through a sprinkler.
Grass tee pads. Very little trees to play around, in fact trees only come into play on holes 2 and 3.
Other Thoughts: Like hole three the most. Hole six lets you air it out.
0 of 2 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Worst of the Rock Hill school courses
Pros: Not a lot of pros for this course. Even by beginner standards, and compared to the other Rock Hill-area school courses, this one doesn't measure up.
- Very open course. Several trees come into play on #2 & 3. #6 - 9 play around the baseball field, so any throws over the fence will include a walk onto the diamond.
- This is about as beginner friendly as a course can possibly be.
- #1 is actually a nice, short (85 foot) downhill hole. As much as you expect a 2, and possibly a 1, if you get too aggressive, it's easy to let your disc sail (or role downhill) 50 feet past the hole. Nothing more frustrating than getting a 3 on a short hole.
- Open field presents good opportunities to empty your bag, practicing shots.
- Course is less than 5 minutes from Winthrop, and you don't even need to get back on the main road, so easy to warm-up or cool down here after playing the big course.
- Course is so short, you can play 9 holes in about 15 minutes. It'll actually slow you down if you carry a bag, instead of just carrying 2 or 3 discs by hand.
Cons: Almost no challenge whatsoever. The one long hole, #6 at 400 feet, is downhill, so it plays much shorter. Like most holes on the course, it's wide open, so the only challenge is getting it close. At least on this hole, and #5 (at 296 feet), getting a 2 feels like you actually did something.
- Even though this course is aimed at beginners, I almost feel it's going to give newbies a bad first impression of DG. If this is what I was seeing/playing for the first time, I'd be bored, and maybe not want to throw a disc again.
- No amenities at all, but then again, you won't be playing long enough to need a restroom, water fountain, etc. You're a short drive to plenty of gas stations, restaurants, etc on Cherry Rd, so not a real problem.
Other Thoughts: Nothing stood out about this course. No signature holes, no cool layouts, no real challenge. I actually think #1 was the most interesting hole.
- If this course was out of the way, I'd tell everyone to not waste their time. Being so close to Winthrop, I say why not pad the "courses played" stats.
- As mentioned above, it's the worst of the Rock Hill school courses I've played. At least the others had some interesting/challenging holes that might get students hooked.
- I hope the kids at the school really enjoy this course. Anyone who's thrown a disc with any regularity is going to feel this is a waste.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 0 Not
School kids might get bored
Pros: -Well manicured fairways
-Baskets are in good condition, probably from not being used very often
-I'm sure the kids have fun on this course during PE
-I can play it twice in a lunch break
Cons: -Too wide open. I prefer the challenge of shaping a shot, and the shade that comes with trees.
-Could not find tee for hole #3
-Baseball field is locked up. If you go in you have to climb the fence
Other Thoughts: Working in Rock Hill, SC has really fed my disc golf addiction. Thanks to Innova for putting a course on every school and park in the area.
This course is great for the kids or very new beginners. Not much of challenge otherwise. Actually got kinda bored on it.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
6 Helpful / 0 Not
- Being a discs throw away from an elementary school has to be a pro for the sport. Especially with Innova's factory and Winthrop nearby, and the USDGC every year. This course should help tons of kids get into DG.
- Elementary Design. This course was clearly designed for the kids. Short holes with reasonable Pars should keep them interested.
- Hole 3. Nice little 171' downhill anny putter shot around some pines.
- Being so close to a school it's hard to say being short or open is a "con". For the beginners, those are "pros". However, if you're not a beginner, this course is short and wide open.
- Grass Tee-Pads. The grass tees are the only real con to this course.
- Danger. Hole 8's basket is right next to the baseball diamond bleachers. If a game was going on you might have to skip this hole.
- My Rating: In the grand scheme of Epic DG courses, this course is a 1.5... However, I would fully expect lesser experienced players to really enjoy this course.
- This is definitely the place to bring kids, your girlfriend, or newbies to learn to play. And, a sweet place to work on your short game or make a run at a few aces.
- Length by hole. 85, 149, 171, 161, 296, 400, 223, 109, 219.
- Pars by Hole. 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4. Adults play everything Par 3.
- My Score: -6
6 of 6 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.